Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Could they also be playing Elliott because they might try and trade his rights at the draft or before free agency starts to try and get something for him???

I doubt any team would find it necessary to trade for Elliott's rights.  Just don't see teams knocking down his door to sign him.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What if they had some agreement to trade his rights to the Oilers maybe since the Oilers aren't playing Stolie his 16 games and he will become a unrestricted free agent too......just spitballing here to try and make some sense out of this crazy situation.

Maybe, but there is no guarantee of Elliott signing with the Oilers.  Also, see above.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, brelic said:

That being said, I’m just as puzzled as most of you that Talbot didn’t even sniff the net in all those games.

Yep.  Really odd.

Three headed goalie monster is never an easy situation.  

1 minute ago, vis said:

I doubt any team would find it necessary to trade for Elliott's rights.  Just don't see teams knocking down his door to sign him.

Maybe, but there is no guarantee of Elliott signing with the Oilers.  Also, see above.

Sure grasping at straws trying to figure out what they are doing. It would have seemed they would have wanted some games with Talbot in the crease to evaluate how he would look.

It seems they don't trust him with points being so critical.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It seems they don't trust him with points being so critical.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Elliott has been fine and all, but he's hardly been world beating. At the very least, you would think Talbot would have seen at least one game by now. To me, the most likely reason is they don't trust putting him between the pipes. They see him in practice and everything else. He must be getting outplayed in prep.

Food for Fletch...Moose plays a winning 2.45 GAA career average...much lower than I thought...do we think Carter Hart will be over or under 2.45 after 400 games?   It's 2.8 and rising. 

...will top pivots Coots and Nolan hit a combined career ppg  avg of 1.6 and Hart around 2.5  GAA?  If their careers produce those kinds of numbers, then the Fletch era could produce a Cup ... quick and dirty comparables, likely full of holes, but pick through career ppg avg of  top two pivots and backstop, under a 1 point difference is pretty solid success

Crosy and Malk 2.48, Murray 2.65   -.16

Stamkos, Point 1.89, Vasilevsky 2.52    .-63

Back and Kuznet  1.78, Holtby 2.47   -.69

Kopitar Carter 1.60, Quick 2.34   -.74

Toews  Sharp? 1.53, Crawford 2.42   -.89

Datsyuk Franz 1.57,  Osgood 2.49   -.92

G Coots 1.52  Elliott 2.45   -.93

E Brindy  1.94  Hexy 2.98  -1.04      in '96  it was 2.64 ppg , 2.17 gaa for +.47 (!) 

Stastny Backes 1.39  Elliott 2.45  -1.06

JR Prim 1.57  Esche 2.75  -1.18

Richards Cart 1.37  Bouch 2.71  -1.34

Larkin Athanas 1.16  Howard 2.53  -1.37

Coots, Nolan, Hart - Fletcher's core? 

5 hours ago, 926 said:

Food for Fletch...Moose plays a winning 2.45 GAA career average...much lower than I thought...do we think Carter Hart will be over or under 2.45 after 400 games?   It's 2.8 and rising. 

...will top pivots Coots and Nolan hit a combined career ppg  avg of 1.6 and Hart around 2.5  GAA?  If their careers produce those kinds of numbers, then the Fletch era could produce a Cup ... quick and dirty comparables, likely full of holes, but pick through career ppg avg of  top two pivots and backstop, under a 1 point difference is pretty solid success

Crosy and Malk 2.48, Murray 2.65   -.16

Stamkos, Point 1.89, Vasilevsky 2.52    .-63

Back and Kuznet  1.78, Holtby 2.47   -.69

Kopitar Carter 1.60, Quick 2.34   -.74

Toews  Sharp? 1.53, Crawford 2.42   -.89

Datsyuk Franz 1.57,  Osgood 2.49   -.92

G Coots 1.52  Elliott 2.45   -.93

E Brindy  1.94  Hexy 2.98  -1.04      in '96  it was 2.64 ppg , 2.17 gaa for +.47 (!) 

Stastny Backes 1.39  Elliott 2.45  -1.06

JR Prim 1.57  Esche 2.75  -1.18

Richards Cart 1.37  Bouch 2.71  -1.34

Larkin Athanas 1.16  Howard 2.53  -1.37

Coots, Nolan, Hart - Fletcher's core? 

You're my new favourite forum poster. Solid post!

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow i just noticed no one even made a game thread for the Leafs game..so i guess i'll put it here why wasn't this goal waved off the net clearly off the moorings??

It was waived off after video review. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just play the guy damn it...he can't be worse than Elliott has been when he is bad...

I would just like to get a better look at the guy in net for the Flyers...these guys are done. Elliott's Flyer career should be over!

I guess Brian Elliott has played his last game in Philly....

Bring on the jerks.

However the game might not even matter....Montreal and Columbus tied 1-1 as of this post.

If Montreal gets a win it's over if they get a point then the Flyers are still alive.....by a point and must win.

Well i will say after last night's game Talbot i am a little concerned with his play and what they will do for a backup for Hart next year.

I know he has only played in 4 games starting 3 and the team in front of him hasn't exactly gave him a whole lot of help.

But i am trying to be fair and hold him to the same expectations i would Elliott, Neuvy, Stolie and Hart.

And the fact is i would expect whoever is in net to give the team in front of him some help in covering for some of the mistakes they have made and he just hasn't shown me that.

So now with hindsight i guess it is why they traded for him so they have an idea if he can help or not and do they need to look elsewhere.

Sure i would have liked for him to gotten more starts when the team had more to play for but he didn't get it for some reason.

So now we have to ask do they resign him??

Do they look for another option???

I really don't want to bring Elliott back either. He just isn't reliable or can't even stay healthy.

So who else would it be???

After looking at the list of available guys the only one that looks like it might be a solid choice is Curtis McElhinney.

But he is 35 and will 36 in another month.

Would Lyon be the best option maybe??? 

Or just resign Talbot and hope and pray with a solid camp/preseason he regains his form?

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Or just resign Talbot and hope and pray with a solid camp/preseason he regains his form?

Aren't you the one talking about how you can't polish a turd? No, we should not resign Talbot.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Aren't you the one talking about how you can't polish a turd? No, we should not resign Talbot.

Sure but the turd was also in front of him.

But I don't have to make that call.

So who will the backup be?

Tough to judge Talbot since he hasn’t played much and the Flyers has zero interest in playing in front of him the other night in Dallas.

Talbot should have started all the final 5 games of the season. We already know Hart is the starter and what Elliott brings to the table as a backup/mentor. Playing Talbot to close the season would have been a great way to evaluate if he’s the one to bring back. 

16 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Tough to judge Talbot since he hasn’t played much and the Flyers has zero interest in playing in front of him the other night in Dallas.

Talbot should have started all the final 5 games of the season. We already know Hart is the starter and what Elliott brings to the table as a backup/mentor. Playing Talbot to close the season would have been a great way to evaluate if he’s the one to bring back. 

Exactly and it is also kind of unfair to judge him in his first start since the trade on February 16th or whatever it was he draws the Canes who have owned the Flyers for years now.

I don't it almost seems like a choose your poison type of deal.

It is why I'm not sure if they are better off trying Lyon next year since he'll require waivers to make it to the Phantoms anyways.

You know see if he can help and if he can't and someone does claim him at his age it would seem like a meh loss.

Talbot strikes me as being very similar to Elliott anyway. Both had a couple good seasons playing for teams with very strong defensive systems. Both had bad to awful records once removed from those teams. 

In some ways, that's fine for a back up goaltender. The problem for me is that Talbot is being paid like a starter. I have no idea what he'll ask for in a new contract, but he may not want enough of a pay cut to justify having him around.

Hell even then though. I never liked Elliott for this exact reason. This just feels like another guy who will only show up in one every ten or whatever games at best. I'd honestly be fine just bringing Lyon up or even just keeping Elliott. All three would seem largely interchangeable.

Granted, there may be stuff we don't know about them on a personal level. That may be a factor. 

In all, I'm not sure it really matters. They all kind of just suck equally anyway.💩

Archived