Flyers Goaltending Situation

Howie58

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/15/2018 at 12:10 PM, hf101 said:

Neuvirth's new mask is rather unique. Hope his play this year has that same sparking impact.

Somehow, those tiny dots will cause Neuvirth to get injured.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:43 PM, King Knut said:

Of course a year makes a great difference and Stolie now has to hurdle coming back from a serious injury and a full year out of action.  That's not nothing.  But with any luck he can as you and I both hope, bounce back and rightfully claim the backup role that should have been his (and on this team that should mean 33-38 games at least.  

Well it's only preseason but from what i have seen he looks pretty solid. Looks to have regained his formed.

Now what to do with him???

Remember when we were saying Stolie would have to be sent down through waivers and wondering if he would make it through and who would claim him???

Well after watching him (750K) outplay Lehner (1.5mill) tonight i think Lou and the Isles would claim Stolie especially at have the price of steaming pile of Lehner garbage....who is also 3 years younger and let him backup Greiss.

That is just my opinion.

So i am hoping Ron can trade one of Neuvy, Stolie or Lyon (whom is seen got hurt in warm ups tonight).

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it's only preseason but from what i have seen he looks pretty solid. Looks to have regained his formed.

Remember when we were saying Stolie would have to be sent down through waivers and wondering if he would make it through and who would claim him???

Well after watching him (750K) outplay Lehner (1.5mill) tonight i think Lou and the Isles would claim Stolie especially at have the price of steaming pile of Lehner garbage....who is also 3 years younger and let him backup Greiss.

That is just my opinion.

So i am hoping Ron can trade one of Neuvy, Stolie or Lyon (whom is seen got hurt in warm ups tonight).

Strangely, this is a "goaltender controversy" worth having. And I am glad we have a surplus of potentials in the system. Hexy was right....given injuries, this is a good thing.  Stolie's size is a plus...if he is on his game opponents won't see too much net. He is almost Drydenesque. 

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is just my opinion.

Maybe Hextall should keep Stolie up with the Flyers to start the year and rotate with Elliot and Neuvy since it will probably only take a couple of weeks before Neuvy gets hurt again.

9 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Lyon out 4 weeks with a LBI suffered before the last Islanders game. He's apparently been training with Neuvirth this offseason.

So not so much training as lying down in front of trains. 

So now Lyon can't be sent down before the season.

I guess they IR him till he is ready then when healthy they send him down.

Wait who am i kidding before he is ready Neuvy will have hurt something....strain nostrils out a month...

look someone GIF

....only  a matter of time...

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So now Lyon can't be sent down before the season.

I guess they IR him till he is ready then when healthy they send him down.

Wait who am i kidding before he is ready Neuvy will have hurt something....strain nostrils out a month...

look someone GIF

....only  a matter of time...

Turns out it was 6 hours. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow are you kidding me?

I'm stuck at work so can't see twitter is he really hurt?

Yup. Apparently he pulled something, slammed his stick on the ice, and left practice. Sounds like Hart will be starting and share the net with Stolarz. 

22 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yup. Apparently he pulled something, slammed his stick on the ice, and left practice. Sounds like Hart will be starting and share the net with Stolarz. 

Wow! That leaves Stolarz, Hart and Elliot for four slots!

Just putting this here to make it official.  

Hart's chances of being with the big club before christmas are increasing by the hour.

Neuvirth hurt:  

@BillMetzer - Neuvirth was bent over, stretching groin for a long time, slammed stick and walked off, spoke briefly to Sal Raffa and Jim McCrossin. He is now leaving the ice.

Sadly,  we are seeing early on the issues our friend Neuvy presents on the development front.  His roster disruption is bad news.  On face, whatever trainer he had this summer isn't making a difference, which is what I would expect.  ABN--Anybody But Neuvirth!

Found this on the Flyers Reddit page. The argument back and forth was that it’s a stretch to even think that Hart will be turn out better than Elliott over his career. 

It really brings some perspective looking through that list.

——

Let's look at something; From 2006-2016 how many 1st and 2nd round goalies developed to be 'better than Elliot'?

Carter Hart, Tyler Parsons, Filip Gustavsson, Evan Fitzpatrick, Ilya Samsonov, MacKenzie Blackwood, Mason McDonald, Thatcher Demko, Alex Nedeljkovic, Vitek Vanecek, Brandon Halverson, Zack Fucale, Tristan Jarry, Philippe Desrosiers, Eric Comrie, *Andrey Vasilevskiy, Malcolm Subban, Oscar Dansk, Anthony Stolarz, Magnus Hellberg, *John Gibson, Christopher Gibson, Jack Campbell, Mark Visentin, Calvin Pickard, Kent Simpson, Mikko Koskinen, Robin Lehner, Chet Pickard, Thomas McCollum, Jacob Markstrom, *Jake Allen, Tyler Beskorowany, Peter Delmas, Joel Gistedt, Antoine Lafleur, Trevor Cann, Jeremy Smith, Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius, *Semen Varlamov, Leland Irving, Michael Neuvirth, Jhonas Enroth

4/45 goalies I'd say turned out better than Elliot (I gave you Jake Allen, which is probably a wash).

How about CHL goalies of the year during that same time-frame? (I moved back 2 years to account for junior hockey)

Carter Hart, Michael McNiven, Carter Hart, Philippe Desrosiers, Jordon Cooke, Patrik Bartosak, Michael Houser, Darcy Kuemper, *Jake Allen, Mike Murphy, Chet Pickard, *Carey Price, Justin Pogge, Jeff Glass (2004)

2/11 better than Elliot.

My point here is that goalies are ridiculously difficult to predict, regardless of their pedigree or how well they did in junior hockey. I think you all also misunderstand just how difficult it is to become a goalie as good as Brian Elliott. Surely Hart doesn't have better than a 50% chance to develop into a Elliott-level goalie. 15-20% is probably more reasonable.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:58 PM, brelic said:

Really kind of shocked he didn't further injure himself by slamming his stick...or lifting it to begin with...or even dreaming about it.

Archived