Patrik Laine, the stingy superstar

JR Ewing

Laine does not brag around with his money although he earns millions in the NHL

A reporter from the Winnipeg Sun asked Laine more than a year ago, what was his most expensive purchase he had made by far with his NHL dollars. After a while of pondering, Laine replied: "Not much really, maybe a jacket, winter jacket."

According to a finnish magazine (Seiska) Laine hasn't changed his ways so far.

"Yeah, I'm a bit stingy. Relatives might be little annoyed sometimes cause I'm so careful with my money." Laine told Seiska.

Last year Laines base salary was 925 000 dollars, but with bonuses his salary grew up around 3,6 million dollars. Laine states, that he thinks he is worth the pay.

"I've worked so hard for everything that i think all these amounts are well earned" Laine tells Seiska.

After next season, a huge raise is waiting for Laine, after his ELC will end. According to some experts, his salary might tenfold, earning him 9 million in a year.

According to Laine, big money does not motivate him as an athlete. He's driven by the urge to develop and the love for the game.

"I would play this game, even if I wouldn't earn an euro." Laine states.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/201807232201091214_nh.shtml

That's awesome.
Nice to see an athlete manage his money just like an everyday Jane or Joe might...even though he can splurge whenever he wants to.

But, umm, about that last line of his...I HIGHLY doubt he would play for the Jets for a single Euro.

I mean, the Winnipeg front office can dream, I suppose, but yea....they better just be ready to back up the Brink's truck and not count on him re-signing for "A single Euro"....  :bigteeth:

And he lives with his mom (she came over from Finland).

The kid is great with kids, great in the community. He's the perfect Jet. They should mainly draft Fins in my opinion. For the most part they don't care about the bright lights of the big city and don't mind the cold winters in places like the 'Peg.

Best shot in the history of the game and it's not even close really. He needs to work on his foot speed though.

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 6:33 PM, Podein25 said:

Best shot in the history of the game and it's not even close really. He needs to work on his foot speed though.

True. Plus I think he's pretty selective when he even uses his foot speed. Ok he's a big kid but I would see his tendency to take big wide circles as a problem. He likes to casually look around for some neat little opportunity which just doesn't occur by itself especially 5 on 5. So far 8 games, 3 PPG, no goals 5 on 5 (341 players have at least 1 goal). Scheifele and Wheeler play on another line which might explain it. Interesting to see how things develop.

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

True. Plus I think he's pretty selective when he even uses his foot speed. Ok he's a big kid but I would see his tendency to take big wide circles as a problem. He likes to casually look around for some neat little opportunity which just doesn't occur by itself especially 5 on 5. So far 8 games, 3 PPG, no goals 5 on 5 (341 players have at least 1 goal). Scheifele and Wheeler play on another line which might explain it. Interesting to see how things develop.

Good point re 5-on-5 - hadn't realized that but not surprised. He came to camp 10-15 lbs lighter and says he feels faster. Hard to say. Foot speed doesn't matter if you're not moving your feet like you say. Last spring in the Playoffs he just stopped moving his feet - he looked gassed after a long season to be honest - he was a liability out there it was so bad. 

He's playing on a line with Little and Ehlers, which on paper should be good, but they have yet to find chemistry. 

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

He's playing on a line with Little and Ehlers, which on paper should be good, but they have yet to find chemistry. 

Yes. At some point Maurice has to react. Three top picks who's already established themselves in the league but together not getting anything done. I don't think Scheifele and Wheeler can carry the team all by themselves although the Avs seem to be going nicely just by their 1st line scoring.

10 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yes. At some point Maurice has to react. Three top picks who's already established themselves in the league but together not getting anything done. I don't think Scheifele and Wheeler can carry the team all by themselves although the Avs seem to be going nicely just by their 1st line scoring.

He mixed the lines up last night, putting Laine on with Scheifele and Wheeler, Perrault up with Little and Ehlers. Seemed to work, since they made the comeback (Little tied it up as the 6th man with the goalie pulled). But I expect Maurice to go back to their regular current lines.

I was talking with a friend who is a real Jets fan (I'm a part time fan at best) and was suggesting that maybe Little was the problem with that line, that he's getting long in the tooth. He disagreed, saying that both Laine and Ehlers are playing like idiots. FWIW.

Edited by Podein25
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Podein25 said:

And he lives with his mom (she came over from Finland).

The kid is great with kids, great in the community. He's the perfect Jet. They should mainly draft Fins in my opinion. For the most part they don't care about the bright lights of the big city and don't mind the cold winters in places like the 'Peg.

A truly good guy and deserves whatever he gets.

Mike Bossy had a better shot, though.

45 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Mike Bossy had a better shot, though.

Are you Mike from Accounting?

Seriously, there's a guy at work who I chat  hockey with and he's a Mike Bossy-had-the-best-shot-ever guy!! 

Was it this shot you're talking about? 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaEQglzGuE

Mike Bossy was a fantastic player in his day. Not trying to pick a fight but I have a hard time believing they taught better shooting technique some 30 years ago. I sense some nostalgic feelings behind this... 😇

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Mike Bossy was a fantastic player in his day. Not trying to pick a fight but I have a hard time believing they taught better shooting technique some 30 years ago. 

Plus carbon fiber

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

He mixed the lines up last night, putting Laine on with Scheifele and Wheeler, Perrault up with Little and Ehlers. Seemed to work, since they made the comeback (Little tied it up as the 6th man with the goalie pulled). But I expect Maurice to go back to their regular current lines.

I was talking with a friend who is a real Jets fan (I'm a part time fan at best) and was suggesting that maybe Little was the problem with that line, that he's getting long in the tooth. He disagreed, saying that both Laine and Ehlers are playing like idiots. FWIW.

Okay. That's probably the combo most to Laine's liking. Two hard working guys doing the dirty work and setting him up for one timers.

Yeah, Little is by no means too old but playing for over a decade in the league takes it's toll, I can understand your buddy's reaction.  And I've seen Ehlers play a lot, fantastic hands with a high hockey IQ, can't see him as the culprit. Maybe it's Laine? Feeling a bit lazy, not keen to dig the puck in the corners etc.

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

Mike Bossy was a fantastic player in his day. Not trying to pick a fight but I have a hard time believing they taught better shooting technique some 30 years ago. I sense some nostalgic feelings behind this... 😇

Apparently he realized that sometimes a hockey stick is good for multiple uses. Truthfully though, during his era he was an unbelievably clean player. He had 210 penalty minutes in a 10 year career.

Shooting percentage tells the story--doesn't matter how pretty he looked. Besides, I would be willing to bet shooting technique hasn't changed much over the years as its a pretty simple motion--the fundamentals today are the same as they ever were.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Are you Mike from Accounting?

Seriously, there's a guy at work who I chat  hockey with and he's a Mike Bossy-had-the-best-shot-ever guy!! 

Nope, not me. Probably about the same age, though. Bossy had the ability to score from just about anywhere at anytime.

The Bossy comp might be fair. In fact you could make a case for the Jets being a lot like the Isles.

Laine/Bossy. Pretty close.

Scheifele/Trottier Trottier may be the most underrated superstar ever and Scheifele could develop into the same type of player.

Trouba/Potvin not a good comp but Trouba is damn good.

Morrisey/Persson Morrisey is developing into a fantastic player

Big Buff/McEwen Great comp- both are solid veteran complimentary pieces.

Wheeler/Gillies nice comp

Hellebuyck/Billy Smith Hellboy is better but Smith was Battling Billy

You can go on, Ehlers, Connor, Tanev match up nicely with Bourne, Tonnelli and Nystrom, Little is a great match for old butch goring and his ugly helmet. Myers and Morrow are a great comp. Adam Lowry and Wayne Merrick play the same role more or less and both are underrated surrounded by stars.

Of course you have to win in order to be considered an all time team but I love the young Jets and other than Potvin the Jets have a match for about everyone on that great Isles team.

Sorry if I hijacked your post unintentional, just get carried away sometimes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Apparently he realized that sometimes a hockey stick is good for multiple uses. Truthfully though, during his era he was an unbelievably clean player. He had 210 penalty minutes in a 10 year career.

Shooting percentage tells the story--doesn't matter how pretty he looked. Besides, I would be willing to bet shooting technique hasn't changed much over the years as its a pretty simple motion--the fundamentals today are the same as they ever were.

Sure, he was clean. I don't know what got to him in that situation.

Well shooting percentage depends on the overall level of the goalies too. I dare say the goalies (too) are better these days than in the 80's. Their techniques have improved vastly. I believe quite a few of Bossy's shots wouldn't be credited as goals year 2018.

Shooting technique probably has remained more or less the same. But with the advance of equipment players get much more power and accuracy in to their shots than back then. And probably any changes in the details of shooting favor Laine, I doubt they've left anything valuable out in the past 30 years.

For the record, overall I value Bossy and his game much more than Laine's. Laine seems to rely on his shot heavily, to this day very one dimensional player.

Edited by Hockey-78
typo

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Sure, he was clean. I don't know what got to him in that situation.

Well shooting percentage depends on the overall level of the goalies too. I dare say the goalies (too) are better these days than in the 80's. Their techniques have improved vastly. I believe quite a few of Bossy's shots wouldn't be credited as goals year 2018.

Shooting technique probably has remained more or less the same. But with the advance of equipment players get much more power and accuracy in to their shots than back then. And probably any changes in the details of shooting favor Laine, I doubt they've left anything valuable out in the past 30 years.

For the record, overall I value Bossy and his game much more than Laine's. Laine seems to rely on his shot heavily, to this day very one dimensional player.

Bossy had the advantage of playing at a time when the game was more wide open and creative--the puck carrier was given more space back then to do their thing. Nowadays somebody is constantly up in their face.

9 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Bossy had the advantage of playing at a time when the game was more wide open and creative--the puck carrier was given more space back then to do their thing. Nowadays somebody is constantly up in their face.

More space....LMAO

Mike Bossy ate a million crosschecks to the back to earn that space and he knew how to laterally move to make space. He played a game of inches and was extremely smart

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Well, yeah. His all-around game needs work, like almost every young player. His elite shot (and it really is great) is what got him to the NHL so early.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Well, yeah. His all-around game needs work, like almost every young player. His elite shot (and it really is great) is what got him to the NHL so early.

My point is that the hype around Laine has gone over the top. He's far behind Matthews and IMO there are more talented all-around players who haven't scored 40+ goals a season yet do they get the headlines. But I have no problem complementing his shot.

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

My point is that the hype around Laine has gone over the top. He's far behind Matthews and IMO there are more talented all-around players who haven't scored 40+ goals a season yet do they get the headlines. But I have no problem complementing his shot.

Hard to say that a guy who has scored 80 goals in the league when he had just turned 20 is "overhyped."

Are there better "all around" young players? Sure there are. But Matthews had half that number.

I don't think the hype machine in Winnipeg even comes close to the one in Tronno. If you don't think Matthews is "getting headlines" lmgtfy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Actually, I was agreeing with you. Players who do one thing at an elite level can sometimes be overrated, and players who do a lot of things well, but none quite at that top level, can be under-appreciated.

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

Hard to say that a guy who has scored 80 goals in the league when he had just turned 20 is "overhyped."

Are there better "all around" young players? Sure there are. But Matthews had half that number.

I don't think the hype machine in Winnipeg even comes close to the one in Tronno. If you don't think Matthews is "getting headlines" lmgtfy.

In Canada, both the Toronto Sports Network and Sportsnet pretty much compete non-stop over who can hype the Centre of the Universe (the GTA) the most. I get the pandering: it's by far the biggest market in Canada. That doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass to deal with, but it's our reality.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Actually, I was agreeing with you. Players who do one thing at an elite level can sometimes be overrated, and players who do a lot of things well, but none quite at that top level, can be under-appreciated.

Oh right. I sensed a touch of sarcasm in your post. My bad. 😁