Zucker signs

TonyOday

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to CapFriendly.com they have $1.7M in cap space now...

They need to stop with the NTC/NMC's...but I'm guessing Zucker wanted more $$$, so they threw a NMC at him in exchange for taking less money...

51 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

According to CapFriendly.com they have $1.7M in cap space now...

They need to stop with the NTC/NMC's...but I'm guessing Zucker wanted more $$$, so they threw a NMC at him in exchange for taking less money...

I would bet you're exactly right on the NTC for a lower $.    

Zucker signs 5-year, $27.5 million deal

Russo talked about the No Trade being key to getting Zucker to sign for a little less.  Yet all things considered, pretty sensible IMO for his age and role on the team.  Its a joke its the same money Mikko Koivu is making as a 35-year old though.  

Over 5 years it's going to be a steal.

If I were him I would have gone for $10.5 million, 2 years (5 million this year, 5.5 million next year) then not be tied down after netting 35-40 goals in each of the next two seasons - then after that he'd make a lot more.

32 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Over 5 years it's going to be a steal.

If I were him I would have gone for $10.5 million, 2 years (5 million this year, 5.5 million next year) then not be tied down after netting 35-40 goals in each of the next two seasons - then after that he'd make a lot more.

Whoops! Misread the post. 

Zuckers a family man now, so he probably wanted stability...

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Russo talked about the No Trade being key to getting Zucker to sign for a little less.  Yet all things considered, pretty sensible IMO for his age and role on the team.  Its a joke its the same money Mikko Koivu is making as a 35-year old though.  

It’s the little things that counted for Koivu...

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Whoops! Misread the post. 

Stability vs an opportunity to rack up up to an extra $6 million more 3, 4 and 5 years from now.

That's what I don't like about long term contracts... Players lose their competitive nature and settle in being complacent.

Guess that's what's in the water here so it needs to stay that way. Right?

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Plus to that we also should not forget Zucker family's public activity. Minnesota became his second home. According to the Wild official page:

"Away from the rink, Zucker and his wife, Carly, have become forces in the Twin Cities community.

Together, their #Give16 campaign has raised more than $1 million for the Zucker Family Suite and Broadcast Studio at Masonic Children's Hospital in Minneapolis. " 

I think everything in his contract played their own particular role. Finally his contact was signed and now is the time for us to talk which lines would you like to see in our official Wild roster? 

Personally  for me, I'd like  to see in our team a golden trio who made an outstanding improvements in scoring goals last season:

Zucker(33 goals)-Staal(42 goals)- Sokolov(50 goals)

First two of them are experienced 2 way players. The third one made a good success towards that part too during a second half of the last season, but needs more experience. 

The rest lines are still an opened for our discussion as well as a first one too.

THG

6 hours ago, TonyOday said:

$5.5 average, 5 years limited NMC.

I like the term as I did with the Dumba signing. I don't think these contracts are going to bite us. I was a tad concerned both contracts were going to be longer terms. 

Here's a take from THG.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCkVYH37WBk

10 minutes ago, Jagged Ice said:

THG

I like the term as I did with the Dumba signing. I don't think these contracts are going to bite us. I was a tad concerned both contracts were going to be longer terms. 

Here's a take from THG.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCkVYH37WBk

Nice video. I liked it.

If I were to compare him to players I would say he is a mix between Gaborik (speed and willingness to shoot) and Parise (smaller size and hard working). He might not be on the same level as those players, but for that price I'm glad to have him on board.

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Plus to that we also should not forget Zucker family's public activity. Minnesota became his second home. According to the Wild official page:

"Away from the rink, Zucker and his wife, Carly, have become forces in the Twin Cities community.

Together, their #Give16 campaign has raised more than $1 million for the Zucker Family Suite and Broadcast Studio at Masonic Children's Hospital in Minneapolis. " 

I think everything in his contract played their own particular role. Finally his contact was signed and now is the time for us to talk which lines would you like to see in our official Wild roster? 

Personally  for me, I'd like  to see in our team a golden trio who made an outstanding improvements in scoring goals last season:

Zucker(33 goals)-Staal(42 goals)- Sokolov(50 goals)

First two of them are experienced 2 way players. The third one made a good success towards that part too during a second half of the last season, but needs more experience. 

The rest lines are still an opened for our discussion as well as a first one too.

This is why I feel the team should have gotten more behind him sooner and not forced him to go through arbitration. He's got qualities this team needs to get behind and stop screwing with him as they've done in the past.

It's the very reason why if I were him I would have played hard-ball with the team.

9 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Stability vs an opportunity to rack up up to an extra $6 million more 3, 4 and 5 years from now.

That's what I don't like about long term contracts... Players lose their competitive nature and settle in being complacent.

Guess that's what's in the water here so it needs to stay that way. Right?

Different things have different values for different people.

As a young player who is not married and doesn't have a family, maybe you do shoot for that 2 year deal, gambling on your ability to improve and then really cash in.

With an older player who has a family, I can see wanting the long term deal to have stability for your family.

Some people value money and things. Some value family time and experiences. One is not better than the other. It just depends on what that particular person places the most value on.

As far as long term contracts, they have their pros and cons. Same with short term deals. And there is the team image to consider as well. If you are a team that has a policy of only 3-year contracts, you may limit the pool of FA's that will want to deal with you. Even if you offer more money, players may not like the contract length. What's better, $18M/3years or $15M/5years+NTC? It's going to depend on the player...

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

This is why I feel the team should have gotten more behind him sooner and not forced him to go through arbitration. He's got qualities this team needs to get behind and stop screwing with him as they've done in the past.

It's the very reason why if I were him I would have played hard-ball with the team.

He was a RFA, so almost every player goes through this stage in their career. It's a game every team and every player plays early in their career. At least the team made the qualifying offer to engage the arbitration process. Means you have some value. How bad do you have to be to have the team NOT make the qualifying offer and allowing you to become a UFA?

As far as playing hardball, there wasn't much wiggle room. The Wild are bumping the cap HARD, so they were limited with what they could offer him (they pretty much offered him what they could, with the exception of about a $1M buffer for call-ups)). And if they went to arbitration, the player would get a one year deal and quite possibly the $6+M he was rumored to be looking for, too.

Say he got a one year deal for $6.5M. The Wild have 48 hours to accept it or "walk away". Accept it and they are well over the cap. Walk away and they lose a speedy 30-goal scorer and a lot of fan goodwill. Yes, they have until the start of the season to become cap compliant, but how do they get under the cap now? They'd have to trade someone like Coyle, Brodin or Granlund. And the 30 other GM's know the situation the Wild are in, so they won't offer squat for any player the Wild try to trade. They'd be lucky to get a bag of Doritos and a six-pack of beer for any player they tried to trade to get under the cap.

Maybe they put Suter on LTIR if he's not ready at the beginning of the season, but that's only a temporary fix. Once Suter passes a physical the team HAS to take him off LTIR, and over the cap they go. And I don't believe the League has any grace period to become cap compliant once the season starts. You're cap compliant or face some pretty stiff penalties. When New Jersey went over the cap in 2010 with the Ilya Kovalchuk deal, they were fined $3M and lost a first round draft pick and a third round draft pick. And they had to play with a 21 man roster to stay under the cap for a good chunk of the season.

If Zucker has another 30 goal season, he'll be a UFA at the end of the season and be able to court 30 other teams for his services and get increased pay and very possibly length of contract. If he doesn't have a 30 goal season, he almost certainly won't come back to the Wild, because the arbitration hearing gets very nasty and personal.

Very fair money and term, slating a tad towards the team, but I guess the NTC was important to Zucker. Takes away a few UFA years, but does provide stability. The Wild needed this, badly. At least now Fenton knows what he has, and can try improve from a solid base. Important thing, Zucker should still be in his prime for the whole deal, and 30 goal guys in their prime do not grow on trees. 

I'm a bit biased because I am a Zucker fan but I feel this deal was fair to both sides if he keeps up his production.. and a big win for the club if his production increases. I like it. 

1 hour ago, Gnarkill said:

I'm a bit biased because I am a Zucker fan but I feel this deal was fair to both sides if he keeps up his production.. and a big win for the club if his production increases. I like it. 

Hopefully he can bump up his playoffs numbers, too.

@IllaZilla all those are extremely good points... Many of which I mulled over through this process but I really do feel of all the Wild players who the Wild have had contract negotiations with, Zucker stands out far and above most the others yet the team has drug their feet with him (IMO) too often. They've gotten by very cheap for what he's done with this team compared to so many others who just don't seem to give a damn yet get the red carpet treatment on their way to nowhere fast once they slip on a jersey.

5 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Hopefully he can bump up his playoffs numbers, too.

No one is going to bump up their playoff numbers if the team stays one-dimensional with only one line as a scoring threat.

1 minute ago, rottenrefs said:

No one is going to bump up their playoff numbers if the team stays one-dimensional with only one line as a scoring threat.

I think if Nino and Parise can stay healthy, this team may have more than one line as a threat. And Zucker doesn't necessarily need any help to get himself into those places on the ice(where not many Wild players like to go) where he has a better chance to score.

45 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

I don’t think this team is a Playoff threat even if they have 4 scoring lines. No one will go to the net to get that garbage goal and they avoid physical play like the plague. Both of which you have to be willing to do in the Playoffs. And this team isn’t willing to do either. 

58 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

I think if Nino and Parise can stay healthy, this team may have more than one line as a threat. And Zucker doesn't necessarily need any help to get himself into those places on the ice(where not many Wild players like to go) where he has a better chance to score.

No way Parise stays healthy. He has yet to play a full season for the Wild since he signed in 2012. And he’s only getting older. Only a matter of time before an arm or his head falls off during a game...

On 7/25/2018 at 4:29 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Let’s remember Russo speculated the possibility of a nmc/ntc. 

I have’nt seen anything showing it. 

Archived