Zucker signs

TonyOday

In his 'The Athletic' article, Russo stated he believes there to be a 10-team NMC for the final 4 years. If he's willing to write a story about it (compared to just writing a tweet) then I would say it's safe to assume that's the case.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

No way Parise stays healthy. He has yet to play a full season for the Wild since he signed in 2012. And he’s only getting older. Only a matter of time before an arm or his head falls off during a game...

Bad luck for the Wild in that regard, couldn't really see that coming when he signed in 2012. I know he was injured for one season in NJ but came back and played 82 games the season after that. Definitely wishful thinking on my part--hoping he may turn out like his old man who had some good years in his mid 30's.

10 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I don’t think this team is a Playoff threat even if they have 4 scoring lines. No one will go to the net to get that garbage goal and they avoid physical play like the plague. Both of which you have to be willing to do in the Playoffs. And this team isn’t willing to do either. 

Right, but my point was when people question Zucker not scoring in the playoffs all teams have to do is shut down two players... Him and Staal. They check Granlund hard a couple times and he's automatically a non-factor so without anyone else willing, or brave enough to move toward the net this team isn't going anywhere.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Right, but my point was when people question Zucker not scoring in the playoffs all teams have to do is shut down two players... Him and Staal. They check Granlund hard a couple times and he's automatically a non-factor so without anyone else willing, or brave enough to move toward the net this team isn't going anywhere.

Over the last three Playoffs, the Wild's top six look pretty bad

Name Games Goals Assists Shots Plus/Minus
Parise 8 5 1 24 -4
Koivu 16 4 7 33 -3
Coyle 16 3 1 37 -8
Granlund 16 2 6 38 -3
Niederreitter 16 1 6 35 -7
Zucker 16 1 2 31 -9
Staal 10 1 2 26 -4

I sorted these by goals. But Zucker doesn't look too hot compared to any of them...

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Over the last three Playoffs, the Wild's top six look pretty bad

Name Games Goals Assists Shots Plus/Minus
Parise 8 5 1 24 -4
Koivu 16 4 7 33 -3
Coyle 16 3 1 37 -8
Granlund 16 2 6 38 -3
Niederreitter 16 1 6 35 -7
Zucker 16 1 2 31 -9
Staal 10 1 2 26 -4

I sorted these by goals. But Zucker doesn't look too hot compared to any of them...

I'm not disagreeing, but last year he saw his first stint in a top line role, the year before about 50% of the time they jerked him around from top 6 to the 3rd or 4th line and the year prior they barely let him break into a top 6 role until they dumped Vanek late in the season.

Playoffs 2012-2018

Koivu: 44 games, 6 g, 17 a / 852 mins lots of PP time

Coyle: 44 games, 7 g, 15 a / 737 mins

Parise: 36 games, 14 g, 17 a / 710.5 min lots of PP time

Niederreitter: 39 games, 8 g, 10 a (from 2013-2018) / 595 mins minimal PP time

Granlund: 39 games, 8 g, 13 a / 508.5 mins lots of PP time

The Wild's two best goal scorers in 2017-2018. All teams had to do was shut them down in the playoffs.

Staal: 10 games, 1 g, 2 a (from 2016-2018) / 187 mins 

Zucker: 31 games, 4 g, 4 a / 461 mins (no playoffs 2013) minimal PP time

Literally phased out from the team then left unprotected: We all know the story there.

Haula: 24 games, 6 g, 7 a (2013-2017) / 359.5 mins minimal PP time

Playoffs 2018: 3 g, 6 a.

Match their earnings with what their production is and their TOI and it's super easy to see where the Wild are wasting most of their money.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

I'm not disagreeing, but last year he saw his first stint in a top line role, the year before about 50% of the time they jerked him around from top 6 to the 3rd or 4th line and the year prior they barely let him break into a top 6 role until they dumped Vanek late in the season.

Playoffs 2012-2018

Koivu: 44 games, 6 g, 17 a / 852 mins lots of PP time

0,027 pts/min

Coyle: 44 games, 7 g, 15 a / 737 mins

0,030 pts/min

Parise: 36 games, 14 g, 17 a / 710.5 min lots of PP time

0,044 pts/min

Niederreitter: 39 games, 8 g, 10 a (from 2013-2018) / 595 mins minimal PP time

0,030 pts/min

Granlund: 39 games, 8 g, 13 a / 508.5 mins lots of PP time

0,041 pts/min

The Wild's two best goal scorers in 2017-2018. All teams had to do was shut them down in the playoffs.

Staal: 10 games, 1 g, 2 a (from 2016-2018) / 187 mins 

0,016 pts/min

Zucker: 31 games, 4 g, 4 a / 461 mins (no playoffs 2013) minimal PP time

0,017 pts/min

Literally phased out from the team then left unprotected: We all know the story there.

Haula: 24 games, 6 g, 7 a (2013-2017) / 359.5 mins minimal PP time

0,036 pts/min

Playoffs 2018: 3 g, 6 a.

Match their earnings with what their production is and their TOI and it's super easy to see where the Wild are wasting most of their money.

So in order of performance:

Parise

Granlund

Haula

Niederreiter

Coyle

Koivu

Zucker

Staal

Zucker and Haula are comparable due to how Wild has treated them. In retrospect, Zucker is the one that should been sent to Vegas, based on playoff performance. Staals playoff experience with the Wild is so small that it's hard to make a fair comparison.

Parise, Granny, Niederreiter and Coyle pretty much are where they should be, based on how they've been played.

Koivu is the big elephant in the room.

5 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

So in order of performance:

Parise

Granlund

Haula

Niederreiter

Coyle

Koivu

Zucker

Staal

Zucker and Haula are comparable due to how Wild has treated them. In retrospect, Zucker is the one that should been sent to Vegas, based on playoff performance. Staals playoff experience with the Wild is so small that it's hard to make a fair comparison.

Parise, Granny, Niederreiter and Coyle pretty much are where they should be, based on how they've been played.

Koivu is the big elephant in the room.

Right.

Another thing I had but deleted was playoff stats for Pominville and Vanek too because they each contributed during that same time span.

The biggest elephant in the room is their salaries in comparison to their putrid scoring prowess, especially what the team keeps defining as their core leaders (and veterans.) Whether the regular season or the playoffs the Wild hasn't gotten a whole hell of a lot in return from their core.

8 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Right.

Another thing I had but deleted was playoff stats for Pominville and Vanek too because they each contributed during that same time span.

The biggest elephant in the room is their salaries in comparison to their putrid scoring prowess, especially what the team keeps defining as their core leaders (and veterans.) Whether the regular season or the playoffs the Wild hasn't gotten a whole hell of a lot in return from their core.

I guess it depends on what you are demanding of the core.

If it's getting into the Playoffs, it's tough to argue they aren't getting a return from the core.  They've made the Playoffs six years in a row since 2012. The year they signed Parise and Suter.

If it's to get Home Ice in the Playoffs for at least one round, they've had Home Ice once in the last six Playoffs (2016-17). So maybe the core is not doing enough to get past Wildcard slot?

If it's to advance beyond Round One, they've done it twice in the last six Playoffs (2013-14, 2014-15). Again, is the core doing enough?

Personally I think it goes beyond the core. I just don't think this team has the mental makeup to make it in the Playoffs.

23 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I guess it depends on what you are demanding of the core.

If it's getting into the Playoffs, it's tough to argue they aren't getting a return from the core.  They've made the Playoffs six years in a row since 2012. The year they signed Parise and Suter.

If it's to get Home Ice in the Playoffs for at least one round, they've had Home Ice once in the last six Playoffs (2016-17). So maybe the core is not doing enough to get past Wildcard slot?

If it's to advance beyond Round One, they've done it twice in the last six Playoffs (2013-14, 2014-15). Again, is the core doing enough?

Personally I think it goes beyond the core. I just don't think this team has the mental makeup to make it in the Playoffs.

My opinion is their core in general will never be able to accomplish their goals because none of them have the right character attributes to do so.

They need a true leader, a punishing battering ram with absolute determination and a loudmouth who puts his money where his mouth is. Three players who bring youth as well as age all together, who everyone else truly gets behind. All this team has are a bunch of guys who like each other with no one challenging each other to do better. Their whole identity is built to be complacent.

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

My opinion is their core in general will never be able to accomplish their goals because none of them have the right character attributes to do so.

They need a true leader, a punishing battering ram with absolute determination and a loudmouth who puts his money where his mouth is. Three players who bring youth as well as age all together, who everyone else truly gets behind. All this team has are a bunch of guys who like each other with no one challenging each other to do better. Their whole identity is built to be complacent.

But doesn't that just epitomize Minnesota Nice! 🤣

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

I'd say I agree with 95% of this.  I think they need a superstar, to lead the way scoring-wise.  Someone that leads the way.  If they had that, they'd have a fairly good supporting cast.  It's my hope is Kaprizov could be that guy, IF he ever makes his way to Minnesota.  

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I'd say I agree with 95% of this.  I think they need a superstar, to lead the way scoring-wise.  Someone that leads the way.  If they had that, they'd have a fairly good supporting cast.  It's my hope is Kaprizov could be that guy, IF he ever makes his way to Minnesota.  

The easiest way to obtain a superstar is to tank or just not have a good enough roster to competitively win on a consistent basis.  While I agree the Wild are in great need of a superstar, the organizational and fan-based mentality is to win games and participate and win  in the playoffs. The team is going to need some seasons of not making the playoffs.  

It's a process of building up through the draft and refraining from trading away picks on yearly regular basis.  The biggest problem the Wild have had keeping them from winning in the playoffs has been health and the lack of a 1-2-3 punch at center.  Staal was a great addition but they need more speed and they need younger legs.

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

The easiest way to obtain a superstar is to tank or just not have a good enough roster to competitively win on a consistent basis.  While I agree the Wild are in great need of a superstar, the organizational and fan-based mentality is to win games and participate and win  in the playoffs. The team is going to need some seasons of not making the playoffs.  

It's a process of building up through the draft and refraining from trading away picks on yearly regular basis.  The biggest problem the Wild have had keeping them from winning in the playoffs has been health and the lack of a 1-2-3 punch at center.  Staal was a great addition but they need more speed and they need younger legs.

This is where the Wild are caught in a vicious cycle. They win enough where they don't get a high enough draft pick to get a shot at that superstar. They draft in that 15-25 range, where you may get a nice player, but not a game changer. So now you have a team filled with nice players. They will be competitive over a long season, but when it comes to the Playoffs they lack that one player that will take over a game when you need him to. The Wild FO tries to paint Mikko Koivu as that superstar player.

And as far as younger legs into the lineup, it's hard to get younger legs into the lineup when you continually sign over-the-hill UFA's and extending players in their 30's in an attempt to continually get into the Playoffs.

At some point soon, this team is going to have to go through a rebuild. All teams do. But the longer this team puts it off, the more painful it's going to be. Not to mention they are stuck with Parise and Suter until the Rapture...

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree with this to a point but even if they had a superstar (which they do need) if the guy lets this team lead him as opposed to creating a way to lead himself and be 100% supported, it'll be nothing new.

24 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

I agree with this to a point but even if they had a superstar (which they do need) if the guy lets this team lead him as opposed to creating a way to lead himself and be 100% supported, it'll be nothing new.

Even if Kaprizov comes over he’s got to get by Parise and Suter. I highly doubt those two allow some Russian kid to call the shots. 

12 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Even if Kaprizov comes over he’s got to get by Parise and Suter. I highly doubt those two allow some Russian kid to call the shots. 

It's my hope that, whatever "room" or "leadership group" issues which reportedly have dogged the Wild since July 4, 2012, will be brought to a quick and dramatic conclusion by the new GM.     I also hope that Boudreau, at his age and with the circumstance of not being hired by Fenton, would give him the extra incentive to lay the law down on who plays with whom and how much ice time one gets, INCLUDING on the PP!

23 minutes ago, 4Check said:

It's my hope that, whatever "room" or "leadership group" issues which reportedly have dogged the Wild since July 4, 2012, will be brought to a quick and dramatic conclusion by the new GM.     I also hope that Boudreau, at his age and with the circumstance of not being hired by Fenton, would give him the extra incentive to lay the law down on who plays with whom and how much ice time one gets, INCLUDING on the PP!

Well, you'd have thought that being hired by Fletcher would have given Boudreau the incentive to lay down the law, but it appears that it didn't. Or maybe it did at first until the the Three Stooges flexed their muscles with the owner.

I just don't see a lot changing with this team until Koivu, Parise and Suter are gone. And that's not happening anytime soon.

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, you'd have thought that being hired by Fletcher would have given Boudreau the incentive to lay down the law, but it appears that it didn't. Or maybe it did at first until the the Three Stooges flexed their muscles with the owner.

I just don't see a lot changing with this team until Koivu, Parise and Suter are gone. And that's not happening anytime soon.

You're right...although, two of the three have had severe enough injuries which could possibly rear their ugly heads again (Parise-back, Suter ankle).   Then the Wild would need to pull off the magical, mystical Marian Hossa LTIR  disappearing act.       And their's a third possible career ending injury too!!!!!!     Koivu having his feelings hurt beyond repair when he's finally told he's been moved to the third line.

21 minutes ago, 4Check said:

You're right...although, two of the three have had severe enough injuries which could possibly rear their ugly heads again (Parise-back, Suter ankle).   Then the Wild would need to pull off the magical, mystical Marian Hossa LTIR  disappearing act.       And their's a third possible career ending injury too!!!!!!     Koivu having his feelings hurt beyond repair when he's finally told he's been moved to the third line.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Suter...I remember when Zach Parise came back too fast from that ankle/foot injury he had a while back. He aggravated it and ended up being out another six weeks, which was probably four weeks longer than if he had not pushed so hard to get back in the first place. But what do doctor's know...🙄

One of these seasons we are going to see Parise's head fall off or something like that as he's skating to the bench for a line change...the guy is just injured all the time...

And I'll believe Mikko is moved to the third line when I see it. And not for one shift or even one game. For a month or more...

21 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Yep, that's what we're talking about.

This team has no desire to give any young blood any reign at leadership as other successful teams do year in and year out and the worst part of it as I've been harping on for nearly a decade, Leipold is behind a failed GM and three head coaches by letting players dictate just about every facet of hockey this club puts out on the ice.

Apologize if I'm way out of the loop on this - but did Cullen hang it all up after last year...? Hadn't heard anything about him - so wasn't sure if they'd sign him cheap for another year or if he was just done done with the game...

6 minutes ago, Confrontational said:

Apologize if I'm way out of the loop on this - but did Cullen hang it all up after last year...? Hadn't heard anything about him - so wasn't sure if they'd sign him cheap for another year or if he was just done done with the game...

Nope, he re-signed with Pittsburgh.  1-year, $650k.  

^^ Not to hijack a zucker thread (maybe it's run its course) - but Cullen going back to Pitt for a year - does that then imply that we wouldn't do that same deal with him...? Seems pretty cheap for a known quantity - but, maybe that was the issue...

3 hours ago, Confrontational said:

^^ Not to hijack a zucker thread (maybe it's run its course) - but Cullen going back to Pitt for a year - does that then imply that we wouldn't do that same deal with him...? Seems pretty cheap for a known quantity - but, maybe that was the issue...

This according to Russo,.... Cullen and Boudreau got off on the wrong foot,  turned the corner in February (Cullen's much improved play) but ended on a bit of a sour note when Cullen felt he was under utilized in the Playoffs.  

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, IllaZilla said:

I believe Parise will be retired in 2 years--maybe less, and this will be Koivu's last contract. Doctor Suter says he'll be good to go--we'll see.

Archived