Cable cutting, how does the blackout thing work?

mojo1917

Hi, 

So austerity measures in the Mojo household will be taking effect shortly.

We are considering cutting cable insofar as continuing to pay comcast for their "blast"t internet service.

This is acceptable to me because we can subscribe to things hbo, netflix, blah blah blah blah.  A deal breaker would be no hockey, clearly I can subscribe to NHL's streaming service, however if I cannot watch my precious,  when they play at home  a two hour drive for me that's problematic. 

Does anyone know how the nhl streaming service works with regard to blackout, does my dream of cutting the cable have a realistic chance.

cause if daddy don't get no hockey ain't nobody gonna be happy in mojo land.

I use Playstation vue. It gets NBCSN philly for $49 a month. All depends on whether you are in the correct service area. You can do a trial period to check it out, and there's no fee for cancelling. You can even drop a tier when the season ends to save some bucks. The only thing is you would miss out on any games on NHL network. You can get that with sling, but they currently don't have NBCSN Philly.

EDIT: If you need access to the couple of games a year on NBC Sports Plus, you need to go with Hulu.

10 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

You could just use a VPN to bypass the blackout

Could you explain this a little more ?

my take away is the vpn provides anonymity so the NHL stream doesn't know where I am , yes?

I subscribe to the NHL.tv package and use a service called Unlocator.  It hides your real IP address by making it look like it’s coming from somewhere else overseas.  On your router, you just have to manually plug in the addresses of Unlocator’s DNS servers instead of having your DNS server address assigned by your IP.  Service costs less than $5.00 per month.  Service works great with a few minor, quickly resolved issues.  

I have also used Kodi on my laptop with a few plugins.  Worked pretty well, but some of the best plugins have gone away.  If anyone knows of any, please share.  

Finally, you can often find YouTube streams on reddit.  I think r/nhlstreams has GDT’s with links to streams posted.  Quality varies and is sometimes bad.  NHLstreams might have some other info posted as to how to stream.  

I miss the days of hockeystreams.  In addition to the NHL, AHL and all of the junior leagues were available for streaming.  It was great because I watched a lot of Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim in juniors.  Kodi sometimes has plugins for those leagues.  If anyone knows how to get those streams reliably, please share.  

Btw, I stream on a Roku.  

@vis

Thanks for the information.

I have a Roku and an Apple TV and have used both with success, teen girl mojo's tv is watching is done almost exclusively via Roku and she has zero complaints.  the ability to watch youtube easily is a big plus for her.

the Apple TV has the nhl app...when I select it, there are two options. a monthly option for 2.99 and a yearly option for 139.99... now who in their right mind ever selects the option for 103 more ? what is the draw for the paying yearly vs monthly ?

the available service menus are exactly the same...

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

the Apple TV has the nhl app...when I select it, there are two options. a monthly option for 2.99 and a yearly option for 139.99... now who in their right mind ever selects the option for 103 more ? what is the draw for the paying yearly vs monthly ?

the available service menus are exactly the same...

That makes no sense, unless $2.99 applies only between regular seasons.

17 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

/user aclee on reddit flyers forums provided me with all the games last year. it's a good quality youtube stream. 

+1 on this.  Every stream, every time.  Perfect.  Obviously if Aclee decides to stop I'm not sure what I'd do. 

Maybe try YouTube TV which is what I did for the world cup. 

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@mkscrewy @Digityman

so far my reddit activity consists of watching drunks fight things, i'm not really a "user" user.

would I have to reach out to this benevolent Aclee for the link? Oliver Twist style?

or hit the page up and follow a link ?

What @mkscrewy said.   Subscribe to the Flyers sub-reddit and before the game there is a pre-game thread.  They will list a bunch of streams for the game.  Go to the comments and find Aclee's comment.  From there it's easy. 

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

he also sometimes makes his own commercials and intermission videos haha.

Yes he does.  I have to mute or sometimes turn it off because they can get a little more than what my 9 year old can handle. (cursing and what not).  Sometimes it says "F#@k The Pens" in the top left corner.  Which is always fun to explain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 9:11 PM, mkscrewy said:

/user aclee on reddit flyers forums provided me with all the games last year. it's a good quality youtube stream. 

That same guy put the Eagles' Super Bowl on his site that plays but with Merrill Reese calling the game...very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived