Housley has no excuses now

Buffalo Rick

Phil Housley is not my favorite guy to run this team.  But he was their choice and why?  Because Nashville had success with him as an assistant?  I am not sure.  But I know if he does not get this team moving as expected, he should be replaced.   I would give him a short leash given the very nice moves our GM has made . He has gotten rid of the rubbish in goal, and added about 4-5 veterans that are certainly not chopped liver.  I have always loved Bergland and am pretty shocked at the return for O'Reilly.   Of course I wish him very well as the Blues are my second fav team.  But I believe the Sabres won this trade big time. Big big time.  Now we have Dahlin and Ristolainin at the blue line and they could be used together at times?  The power play could be dynamic if the chemistry works.  They have the horses so now Housley must get it done.  I would give him until Xmas to make this go or replace him.  But for now I will give him the benefit and hope he makes it work.  Though I would certainly rather have a guy like Ruff.

32 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

They have the horses so now Housley must get it done.

In my opinion signing Mittelstadt last year and burning a year of his entry level was not a very smart move by the front office.

And him returning for another year of college would have been best for his development. No need to rush the kid.

However it seems they have become the Oilers of the West drafting decent talent however not knowing how to properly develop it.

Oh well let's have Housley be the scapegoat. Works for me.

I don't think this club has what it takes to make the playoffs once again is a deep East.

I do think they will be better than Montreal, Ottawa, Isles and maybe even the Rangers. Still not enough. But closer.

Another good draft pick to go with the guys they already have.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

In my opinion signing Mittelstadt last year and burning a year of his entry level was not a very smart move by the front office.

And him returning for another year of college would have been best for his development. No need to rush the kid.

However it seems they have become the Oilers of the West drafting decent talent however not knowing how to properly develop it.

Oh well let's have Housley be the scapegoat. Works for me.

I don't think this club has what it takes to make the playoffs once again is a deep East.

I do think they will be better than Montreal, Ottawa, Isles and maybe even the Rangers. Still not enough. But closer.

Another good draft pick to go with the guys they already have.

Hmmm...I know another team in the West that loves to rush their prospects...and Buffalo seems to be their preferred trade partner as well...

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They're a lottery team and they'll have a lot of balls in the machine. There is no way they are a playoff team. 

I think they're heading in the right direction, but they're still not there. 

Largely because, while tanking, they haven't had the volume of picks or done a good job developing those they had.  But they are getting there. 

On 7/28/2018 at 2:08 PM, ruxpin said:

They're a lottery team and they'll have a lot of balls in the machine. There is no way they are a playoff team. 

I think they're heading in the right direction, but they're still not there. 

Largely because, while tanking, they haven't had the volume of picks or done a good job developing those they had.  But they are getting there. 

They may not be there as a Cup contender but neither are the Flyers.  I like our talent pool far more.   I say they have a shot to make it.  Now they have a goalie. And two great guys on the blue line in Dahlin and Ristolainen.  They have a mix of youth in guys like Jack Eichel and Middlestadt and vets like Bergland who I am a big fan of.  I know we can give teams like Florida hell and the Flyers too.  Someone is getting knocked out and we are going to do it.

22 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

They may not be there as a Cup contender but neither are the Flyers.

Sure but they'll make the playoffs....unlike the Sabres...another good draft pick to let rot for you guys...

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

They may not be there as a Cup contender but neither are the Flyers.  I like our talent pool far more.   I say they have a shot to make it.  Now they have a goalie. And two great guys on the blue line in Dahlin and Ristolainen.  They have a mix of youth in guys like Jack Eichel and Middlestadt and vets like Bergland who I am a big fan of.  I know we can give teams like Florida hell and the Flyers too.  Someone is getting knocked out and we are going to do it.

There's only one reason you like the Sabres talent pool better than the Flyers, and it's not because you're right.  

I promise you I wasn't trying to troll you, and it's still not my intent.  Dahlin is a wild card for this year. While he could certainly step right in and seems to have the talent to, he is still going to be an 18 year old rookie and will likely have some growing pains. Growing pains, if he has them, will be made a little worse short term because I suspect there will be an understandable urge to lean on him. 

Hopefully, Housely can try to mitigate that some. But that will mean relying on your bottom four, and that will create some mismatch issues for them. 

If some of your players show improvement (you know which ones. Rinehart, for example) and Mitt has a good rookie year, your top 6 should be good. I wonder if Berglund plays 2C, at least early. 

I'd be stunned if Buffalo makes the playoffs or is in the conversation, but I'm with you that there's reason for optimism. Because even if you don't, I really do think you're headed in the right direction. Hutton is certainly an upgrade over Lehner. I just hope they don't have to over use him. 

I don't think you'd be horribly served by one more lottery year. I don't think to 5 or anything unless you get lucky with the balls, because I think you'll see a competitive team each night. But another top 15 pick on top of your St. Louis pick could really have you set. Plus, you have cap space coming, so they could even trade one for something high end. 

Buffalo is a strong hockey town. They deserve a good team and I think one is on the way. I just don't think they're quite there yet. BUT you may be right about your division opponents.  I gotta figure Tampa and Boston, but after that it's a bit wide open. So, if things go right, yeah, maybe. 

By the way, while the Flyers are prospect rich, most aren't ready yet. Our goaltending is a mess and our bottom six aren't ready for prime time and we have gaping holes there. Our top 6 look great and our defense should be better, but that goaltending!  I wouldn't be shocked if the Flyers struggle to make the playoffs and end up on the outside looking in. If so, the may cause the coach his job. I'm not a fan of Hakstol, but with the bottom 6 in flux and the horrible goalies, I'm not sure his being fired would be entirely fair. 

I get throwing the Flyers at me, but I'm not trying to insult the Sabres and I'm under no delusion as to the Flyers prognosis this year. 

On 7/30/2018 at 6:24 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but they'll make the playoffs....unlike the Sabres...another good draft pick to let rot for you guys...

You do not have a clue what will transpire with a real goalie now and the best blue line pairing in the NHL.  Buffalo is going to make the playoffs.  You look at what Vegas did.  Buffalo is going to shock many people. Yet its not really a shock given the talent pool.  I only started this thread because Housley is the biggest worry.  But I think he is on a short leash.  

On 7/30/2018 at 6:29 PM, ruxpin said:

There's only one reason you like the Sabres talent pool better than the Flyers, and it's not because you're right.  

I promise you I wasn't trying to troll you, and it's still not my intent.  Dahlin is a wild card for this year. While he could certainly step right in and seems to have the talent to, he is still going to be an 18 year old rookie and will likely have some growing pains. Growing pains, if he has them, will be made a little worse short term because I suspect there will be an understandable urge to lean on him. 

Hopefully, Housely can try to mitigate that some. But that will mean relying on your bottom four, and that will create some mismatch issues for them. 

If some of your players show improvement (you know which ones. Rinehart, for example) and Mitt has a good rookie year, your top 6 should be good. I wonder if Berglund plays 2C, at least early. 

I'd be stunned if Buffalo makes the playoffs or is in the conversation, but I'm with you that there's reason for optimism. Because even if you don't, I really do think you're headed in the right direction. Hutton is certainly an upgrade over Lehner. I just hope they don't have to over use him. 

I don't think you'd be horribly served by one more lottery year. I don't think to 5 or anything unless you get lucky with the balls, because I think you'll see a competitive team each night. But another top 15 pick on top of your St. Louis pick could really have you set. Plus, you have cap space coming, so they could even trade one for something high end. 

Buffalo is a strong hockey town. They deserve a good team and I think one is on the way. I just don't think they're quite there yet. BUT you may be right about your division opponents.  I gotta figure Tampa and Boston, but after that it's a bit wide open. So, if things go right, yeah, maybe. 

By the way, while the Flyers are prospect rich, most aren't ready yet. Our goaltending is a mess and our bottom six aren't ready for prime time and we have gaping holes there. Our top 6 look great and our defense should be better, but that goaltending!  I wouldn't be shocked if the Flyers struggle to make the playoffs and end up on the outside looking in. If so, the may cause the coach his job. I'm not a fan of Hakstol, but with the bottom 6 in flux and the horrible goalies, I'm not sure his being fired would be entirely fair. 

I get throwing the Flyers at me, but I'm not trying to insult the Sabres and I'm under no delusion as to the Flyers prognosis this year. 

I do not think its the stretch you make it seem.  We have a real goalie now.  We have two kids that are absolute beasts in Dahlin and Risto.  Right now Risto has the experience.  He is going to win a Norris trophy before its said and done.  He is great.  The team does  need to gain experience and age.  But I tell you they have an influx of veterans now that can really make an impact with Bergland and Svobotka.  Just watch out.  And you think Florida is a cinch to get in?  Or whoever else at the bottom?  Ottawa, Islanders, or whoever?   Some of the so called experts are ready to hand the Toronto Maple Leafs the Cup.  Unreal isn't it?  Though the law of averages does say a Canadien team is due to get in.  I just put some $3 future bets on ST Louis to meet Washington, Tampa, Toronto and Buffalo in the finals.  All paying very good.   I am very happy to have Bergland.  I love the guy.  He can light the lamp.  Eichel will set him up on the PP and he will score some.  Now I know we have a goalie I can trust in a shootout.  Adios Lehner.  By the way, any idea where he landed?  God help the team that has him.  Even though he was good at times in regulation, he is the worst SO goalie I have ever seen.  And Miller disgusts me sitting there in Disneyland.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And you think Florida is a cinch to get in?  Or whoever else at the bottom?  Ottawa, Islanders, or whoever?

No. 

That's why toward the end of my "stream of consciousness" ramble I said it could happen given the rest of the division. The honest truth is that the division has come back to you, but if you get in, take it.  And enjoy it. I'd personally prefer one more crack with the ping pong balls, but it's been long enough that I get wanting to get in. 

But like I said, you have Tampa and Boston and I forgot Toronto. 

Montreal is not going to be good. 

Ottawa will be simply horrible. 

I don't expect anything out of Detroit. 

Of them, maybe Montreal but I don't think they've improved. 

Assuming you're playing for 4th, you have to watch the wild card. 

Gotta figure Washington and Pens are in the top three, if not top two of the Metro. 

Buffalo will have to beat out one of Columbus, Philly, or New Jersey.  Gotta put Florida in the equation, but I don't see it.  And Carolina and the Islanders should stink. 

It's a tall order, but maybe not the stretch. I still think you end up with some ping pong balls. But you'll be in it until late, I think, so at least something to cheer for this season, right? 

In the East:

PRETTY MUCH MORTAL LOCKS

Pittsburgh

Washington

Toronto

Tampa

NEARLY LOCKS

Boston

Columbus

Flyers

NO WAY NO HELL

Ottawa

Montreal

Islanders

Red Wings (sigh)

FIGHTING FOR ONE SPOT

Panthers

Hurricanes

Devils

Rangers

Sabres?

Now every year there is a team or two who surprises by falling off, I would not be surprised if the Bruins drive off a cliff this year, Pittsburgh is getting older,ect… so it is possible that an injury here, someone suddenly growing old there and an opening occurs among the playoff teams but for now, I see 7 spots on the dance card already punched. Of the rest:

Devils did zero except lose Grabner and Maroon, I think they slip.

Hurricanes traded pieces with Calgary in a deal that looked like a trade for the sake of making a trade, added Svechnikov. With Mrazek/Darling in net I don't see them but I do like their overall talent.

Panthers are everyones darling after nearly storming back last year and adding Hoffman for nothing, I worry about their aging netminders but I like them quite a lot too.

Rangers are in rebuild but frankly I like them a lot for this year as well if a couple of kid forwards named Chytil and Andersson stick and produce and the King has a good year.

All four have plusses. All four have serious flaws.

For Buffalo to make it, Hutton would have to be lights out, Dahlin would have to be Karlsson AS A ROOKIE which is no easy transition but might happen, Eichel would have to mature and stay healthy, Reinhart has to build off a solid second half and Mittelstadt would have to replace Oreilly as the 2C. This is a tall order but it could happen, I do like the Sabres this year better than Detroit, the Isles,  the Canadiens or Ottawa, I have them slightly below the next grouping but if they get off to a hot start and the young team gains confidence, it is possible they contend for the final spot in the very rugged East. An awful lot has to go right but a lot has gone wrong for a long time in Buffalo so karma may eventually even out.

11 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You do not have a clue what will transpire with a real goalie now and the best blue line pairing in the NHL.  Buffalo is going to make the playoffs.  You look at what Vegas did.  Buffalo is going to shock many people. Yet its not really a shock given the talent pool.  I only started this thread because Housley is the biggest worry.  But I think he is on a short leash.  

WTF does what Vegas did have anything to do with Buffablow?

I'll tell ya. Not a motherf**king thing!

At least you'll get another good pick.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, J0e Th0rnton said:

He has an ironclad excuse. He is coaching the buffalo sabres

This coming from a fan of a team that has a God awful record vs the Sabres.  I would not be so fast to mock the Sabres.  They are not only on the rise, but San Jose cannot beat them even when they were at their lowest

42 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

This coming from a fan of a team that has a God awful record vs the Sabres.  I would not be so fast to mock the Sabres.  They are not only on the rise, but San Jose cannot beat them even when they were at their lowest

The sharks tend to treat teams like the Sabres, Coyotes and such as preseason games and not bother trying. We even bench our best players for those games. They don't tend to matter

But keep living in the past lol

The best defensIve pair in the game? Uh that is In San Jose lol  risto had a great first half two years ago and a solid second half last year but has not yet had a complete solid season.  cBJ has a pairing that is better by far Philly does as well.  So does Calgary even and the Press do as well.  Don't get ahead of yourself with the hype, the game is played on the ice and to say they have the best duo in the game on the back end is beyond foolish. 

As a Sabres fan, some of what youre saying is just baffling. Im all for optimistic heading into this season, but noone expects us to make playoffs. If we do then its a great surprise but i dont think anyone really expects that. And best pairing in the league? Dahlin and Risto arent even set to play on same line yet. Dahlin looked good but youre nuts if think hes getting tossed first line minutes with Risto right off the bat.

Make Playoffs Hands Down

Tampa

Pittsburgh

Washinton

Toronto

Boston

Unless Columbus gets rid of Bob and completely fall apart, theyre going to slide in easy.

Phillys biggest problem is goaltending if Elliot cant stay healthy, but they also have better depth than us. If Hutton or Ullmark go down, Wedgewood is our next up. And hes looked like trash in preseason so far, so thats not too optimistic.

Leaving one spot for Us, Florida, Carolina, NJ, and hell even Detroit if they can figure things like preseason and Howard can continue keeping them in the games.

To honestly say we should end the season better than each of those teams is a far-fetched statement, especially if youre looking at depth in all aspects, for injury sake atleast. Im all for the optimism especially after these last few seasons, and its cool youre stoked about getting some Blues players youve watched and like,  but your going a little nuts with the bias.

@TalkRadio

Welcome to the forum first off.

Yeah Junkie has a tendency to see things through a different prism than most anyone else, lol. Nice write up on your part, I do like the moves that have been made by your boys, a sense of direction with cautious optimism might be the way to look at it. Dahlin obviously is a huge add, losing O'Reilly hurts quite a lot but Skinner for little was a huge get to slide in beside Eichel. I don't see them finishing dead last this year at the least. I don't see them making the playoffs either but I think they are closer to the playoffs than they are to the basement.

On 9/26/2018 at 9:10 AM, J0e Th0rnton said:

The sharks tend to treat teams like the Sabres, Coyotes and such as preseason games and not bother trying. We even bench our best players for those games. They don't tend to matter

But keep living in the past lol

We shall see Mr know it all.  You can see Buffalo is building an impressive arsenal of talent.  We beat you when we were the worst and we beat you when we were the best, Presidents Cup champs.  We own the Sharks and Capitals too.  The Sabres are getting better and you k ow it

8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

We shall see Mr know it all.  You can see Buffalo is building an impressive arsenal of talent.  We beat you when we were the worst and we beat you when we were the best, Presidents Cup champs.  We own the Sharks and Capitals too.  The Sabres are getting better and you k ow it

NOBODY SAID THEY WERE NOT IMRPOVED THIS YEAR. NOBODY.

What people said is they are not a playoff team-yet. They are much closer than in years past with the additions of Skinner and Dahlin but there are still glaring deficiencies on the roster.

As for your comment about Risto and Dahlin being the best pair in Hockey, well, I am calling bull on that one. Dahlin MAY be the next Karlsson and Risto has shown a lot of promise but:

Karlsson is in San Jose with Burns who are the best two scorers in the game.

Hedman and McDonough are better right now.

Doughty and Muzzin are better right now.

Jones and Werenski are better right now.

Provorov and Ghost are better right now.

Josi and Subban are clearly better.

Klingberg and Heiskanen could make a case.

The Blues duo of Parayko and the underrated Pietrangelo are better right now.

Some would argue for Buff and Trouba.

This is not a rip on the pair, I love Dahlin and realy like Ristolainen but to say, without any evidence that right now they are the best defensive pair in the game is foolish. Let the kid play first and assess where he is, let Risto put a full season together and we will see. By years end the two of them could be up there in the conversation but right now it is premature.

OH and name calling, referring to @J0e Th0rnton as Mr. Know it all is not now and has never been accepted. You wish to disagree, fine, hell we all do that joe and I argued about Dougie Hamiltons situation in Carolina versus what it was previously in Calgary last night but without personal insults. Stop that big guy, you are better than that.

The Sabres are clearly improved, but the average playoff team ahead of them in their division had a goal differential of +41. Let's say that the Sabres saw a huge improvement in this area, scoring 25 more goals and allowing 25 fewer... They would still be -40 in goal differential , still 80 goals off playoff pace.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

NOBODY SAID THEY WERE NOT IMRPOVED THIS YEAR. NOBODY.

What people said is they are not a playoff team-yet. They are much closer than in years past with the additions of Skinner and Dahlin but there are still glaring deficiencies on the roster.

As for your comment about Risto and Dahlin being the best pair in Hockey, well, I am calling bull on that one. Dahlin MAY be the next Karlsson and Risto has shown a lot of promise but:

Karlsson is in San Jose with Burns who are the best two scorers in the game.

Hedman and McDonough are better right now.

Doughty and Muzzin are better right now.

Jones and Werenski are better right now.

Provorov and Ghost are better right now.

Josi and Subban are clearly better.

Klingberg and Heiskanen could make a case.

The Blues duo of Parayko and the underrated Pietrangelo are better right now.

Some would argue for Buff and Trouba.

This is not a rip on the pair, I love Dahlin and realy like Ristolainen but to say, without any evidence that right now they are the best defensive pair in the game is foolish. Let the kid play first and assess where he is, let Risto put a full season together and we will see. By years end the two of them could be up there in the conversation but right now it is premature.

OH and name calling, referring to @J0e Th0rnton as Mr. Know it all is not now and has never been accepted. You wish to disagree, fine, hell we all do that joe and I argued about Dougie Hamiltons situation in Carolina versus what it was previously in Calgary last night but without personal insults. Stop that big guy, you are better than that.

I will say San Jose is the only team with an argument to have the best blue line.  The Sabres have to be second with Dahlin and Ristolainen.  Only because they are  younger

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I will say San Jose is the only team with an argument to have the best blue line.  The Sabres have to be second with Dahlin and Ristolainen.  Only because they are  younger

Junkie, this is not me, it is every pundit who covers the game will tell you that it takes a defenseman 300 to 400 games to finally understand the NHL game completely be it coverage and offensive zone as well, Hedman struggled, Doughty, Keith, all the greats, it is not like forwards, defense is cerebral and it takes time. Dahlin is an amazing prospect but it will be several years before we know exactly what he is going to be. FOR RIGHT NOW, this year and probably the next while I love Dahlin and like Risto quite a lot they are not in the top ten. Now if you asked me who I would want for the next decade they would certainly be up there with about anyone but I am stressing RIGHT NOW, THIS SEASON in which Dahlin is going to get beaten like a rookie and have the puck stolen more than he ever has because he is playing against men. I think his future is unbelievably bright and I also think he will have a good rookie year but good is not great, he just plays a position where it takes time to get the nuances figured out, kinda like point guard in the NBA or wide receiver in the NFL. 

Hmm...some thoughts here:

First off, sure, I agree, Phil Housely has NO EXCUSES.
He didn't have excuses last year either.
Neither did the other 30 head coaches.

My point being, they are professional NHL head coaches......they aren't supposed to have excuses.
Not even the guy who runs the bench in Montreal, Ottawa, or Arizona.
Pro head coaches are supposed to either win right away, help develop up n coming talent on the fly, or change the culture of a locker room from a losing mentality to a winning one.

Whether he gets the W's is another thing entirely, and it all depends on the development curve of the team in question but at NO POINT, should ANY NHL coach have "an excuse"...… and if one DOES, then there is some funny business going on and perhaps orders from the top are coming to tank for better picks, which, frankly, is disgusting to me.

Second, I think anyone who follows the doings in the NHL can plainly see the Sabres have lots of up n coming talent....but they should also see that even its BEST talents may need some time to either discover themselves as NHL players, find the right chemistry with linemates, or just plain fully develop physically.

The young talent on the Sabres HAS that opportunity this year to do just that...including the two very good defensemen in Ristolainen and Dahlin.
But it isn't going to be easy given that there are OTHER young teams in the Conference, and more closely, in their own division, who are already well ahead of the Sabres I player development, and some, in fact, may be Cup ready NOW.

This may very well be the best Buffalo team we've seen in quite some time...although that bar has been set low over the last few seasons, so going above it shouldn't be that difficult.
But I still feel the Sabres may have trouble finding the back of the net on a consistent basis, unless two or three of the sub 25 yr old players all have breakout seasons at the same time AND the defense and the goalies hold up to contender caliber status.

That is asking an awful lot from a group that is slowly but surely making forward progress.
So if the Sabres don't make the playoffs, but DO make each and every game competitive night in, night out, I'd call it a win for Buffalo and their fans.
But definitely NOT an excuse for Housely.

Archived