Matt Read signs with the Wild

bbgarnett

1 hour ago, bbgarnett said:

Nice, let's read returns and then we sign Matt Read a few hours later. 

Yea, kind of freaky how that works.  Although it kind of seems like the Wild are trying to gather up the Prospect Development Camp tryouts that got away with Read and J.T. Brown back in a Wild jersey.  

1 hour ago, bbgarnett said:

Nice, let's read returns and then we sign Matt Read a few hours later. 

That's exactly what I thought when I read the title. Matty Read is a nice fit in Minny imo.    

12 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Did Koivu sit next to him on a flight or bump into him recently and wants him on his wing for a game and then shuffle him off to the 3rd or 4th line? Where have I seen this 30-40 times before?

Eh? 2-way contract, doubt he'll see a minute on wing next to Koivu.

More likely spending time between Iowa and Wild, depending on injuries.

(shrugs) IF he makes the big club.  Otherwise this is a depth signing for the bottom 6 where he might be more useful than playing young kids like Greenway or Kunin in that role.  Let the kids season in Iowa and let Read, Eric Fehr, J.T. Brown and Matt Hendricks deal with those duties.  

I shouldn't say this in a Wild forum, but I'll be stunned if he spends much time on the big roster. Fourth line and PK if he does.  If he's played higher than that, don't bother saving money for playoff tickets. Go get something nice. 

1 hour ago, Lonkkis said:

Eh? 2-way contract, doubt he'll see a minute on wing next to Koivu.

More likely spending time between Iowa and Wild, depending on injuries.

Every player the Wild sign with NHL experience spend a couple shifts with Koivu then they find out none of them are top-6 worthy... Koivu hasn't been top-6 worthy for 3 years but nobody's man enough to tell him that.

Glad he's here! but like most have said I doubt he'll spend a lot of time with the big club.. if he resurrects his game maybe.. I really wanted them to sign him when he was invited to camp here before he ended up with the Flyers as I loved his play here in Bemidji.. it just hasn't really translated to the NHL at a consistent pace and has now trailed off. That being said.. glad to have him for Iowa and injury depth!

Welcome aboard "Reader"!

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I shouldn't say this in a Wild forum, but I'll be stunned if he spends much time on the big roster. Fourth line and PK if he does.  If he's played higher than that, don't bother saving money for playoff tickets. Go get something nice. 

We’d rather have fans tell us what they really think of a player from their club than come here and claim a player is going to be the next Nik Lidstrom when he’s really the next Nick Schultz...

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

We’d rather have fans tell us what they really think of a player from their club than come here and claim a player is going to be the next Nik Lidstrom when he’s really the next Nick Schultz...

I liked Read while he was with the Flyers. The puck seemed to follow him around the rink, when he signed his "big" deal with Phi it was an okay value. He was scoring some, killing penalties & staying on the right side of the puck.

His scoring did drop off a cliff the last 2 years. I think that had to do with him "losing a step" and struggling to change his game to keep up/make up for suddenly being slower. Add to that inexplicably losing his shot, which was weird...and suddenly he was another guy in our bottom 6 that couldn't score.

He's a smart player, he can still change direction pretty well, and could be useful as a bottom 6 penalty killing guy. He'll give you 6-10 safe minutes a night at even strength. Maybe he figures out how to make up for his deteriorating physical ability and prolongs his NHL career? he's a smart player so it could happen.

Read's a good depth player at this stage of his career. Don't expect much scoring, but if he's used as a 4th liner/pker, he'll provide good value, especially at that price point. He generally plays on the right side of the puck, and in the opponent's end of the ice.

Just checked eliteprospects.com. It seems Matt Read will start season at Iowa. Hope, finally Iowa Wild team will be able to reach playoffs for the first time in their history this season with some experienced players and some promising youngsters there .

According to NHL Network from July 27 Minnesota Wild projected 2018-2019 Forward Lines are:

Zucker-Staal-Niederreiter

Parise-Koivu-Granlund

Greenway-Ek-Coyle

Foligno-Fehr-Brown

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Just checked eliteprospects.com. It seems Matt Read will start season at Iowa. Hope, finally Iowa Wild team will be able to reach playoffs for the first time in their history this season with some experienced players and some promising youngsters there .

According to NHL Network from July 27 Minnesota Wild projected 2018-2019 Forward Lines are:

Zucker-Staal-Niederreiter

Parise-Koivu-Granlund

Greenway-Ek-Coyle

Foligno-Fehr-Brown

So Fehr's already made the team and Matt Hendricks is in the press box already...?

Nice RH forward depth signing.   Wild are short on RH shooters in the organization.   Assuming Kunin isn't ready, IMO he would be the next guy up from Iowa for a bottom six RW spot.  

The losing a step comment makes me feel he's probably Iowa bound.  Maybe this will turn into a Ryan Carter situation in Iowa.  Fenton has hinted that Greenway almost has a spot secured.  Not sure I'd say that should be a given just yet.  IMO, I'd let him earn it, if he goes to Iowa and just dominates then call him up.  If he goes there and struggles or seems pouty, let him stay there until he dominates.  

24 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The losing a step comment makes me feel he's probably Iowa bound.  Maybe this will turn into a Ryan Carter situation in Iowa.  Fenton has hinted that Greenway almost has a spot secured.  Not sure I'd say that should be a given just yet.  IMO, I'd let him earn it, if he goes to Iowa and just dominates then call him up.  If he goes there and struggles or seems pouty, let him stay there until he dominates.  

Sounds like Fenton's no better than Fletcher. One assist in six games guarantees you a roster spot...

58 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Sounds like Fenton's no better than Fletcher. One assist in six games guarantees you a roster spot...

I was also surprised that Fenton would send that kind of message, especially to a rookie.   I would hope the "new set of eyes" would actually use them before pronouncing in July his roster for opening night.

1 hour ago, 4Check said:

I was also surprised that Fenton would send that kind of message, especially to a rookie.   I would hope the "new set of eyes" would actually use them before pronouncing in July his roster for opening night.

Where is BB in all this?  You would figure he would have a say in the matter... This is season is shaping up to be a complete disaster... They should just get a cardboard cutout of Gordon Bombay to place on the bench during games since Liepold and Fenton are doing the coaching now.

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I missed the assist in six games but did see him get knocked on his ass a few times; and like most other Wild players he got back up on his feet pretty quickly while preparing himself to get knocked on his ass again with no 'edge' in his game whatsoever. He reminds me of Pominville, how he could get crushed from a check and find himself along the boards near whoever 'laid him out' and then glide really gently into the dude about 2.6 seconds after letting the guy freely pass the puck to a teammate streaking up ice.

19 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

I missed the assist in six games but did see him get knocked on his ass a few times; and like most other Wild players he got back up on his feet pretty quickly while preparing himself to get knocked on his ass again with no 'edge' in his game whatsoever. He reminds me of Pominville, how he could get crushed from a check and find himself along the boards near whoever 'laid him out' and then glide really gently into the dude about 2.6 seconds after letting the guy freely pass the puck to a teammate streaking up ice.

What was that lyric from The Who...”Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...”

Archived