world junior showcase

flyer4ever

In Kamloops this week to play golf and a bonus hockey tournament. Farabee is the real deal. Ratcliffe was really good tonight too. Frost and Obrien not so consistent, but glimpses of high end skill and vision. Always exciting hockey when its CANADA-usa.

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

In Kamloops this week to play golf and a bonus hockey tournament. Farabee is the real deal. Ratcliffe was really good tonight too. Frost and Obrien not so consistent, but glimpses of high end skill and vision. Always exciting hockey when its CANADA-usa.

Good to hear about Ratcliffe...those big galoots seem more like boom or bust type picks. It would be nice to have that size parked in front of the opponents net scoring goals. I'm pretty confident in the other 3 you mentioned having NHL careers.

Enjoy the dry heat,in Kamloops (noticed your Ontario location). 

33 minutes ago, hf101 said:

So Far... Canada 5 - Flyers prospects 3 (Farabee, O'Brien, Cates)  

:flyer:

now Canada 6 - Flyers prospects 4 (O'Brien (2), Farabee, and Cates )

Joel Farabee is going to be a star. That combination of speed, offensive awareness and two-way capability should have everyone giddy. I've read comparisons to Mikael Granlund, but the more I watch Farabee, I think of another left winger who has a slight frame like Farabee - Artemi Panarin. 

Realizing he was playing wing and not center...Morgan Frost was very meh, against the US. 

This was the only team Canada game I was able to watch, so with those caveats, I was expecting better from him.

He did have a nice dangle into the goal crease in the first after that, I don't really recall hearing his name called.  I don't know if he needs longer exposure to his linemates or what but he didn't make me think he was earning a spot on the NHL club this year.

Jay O'Brien is a player, he was frequently the fastest guy on the ice when he was on and he has an athletic arrogance to him that I love.  Based on his play vs those "higher pedigreed" peers he looked like he'll be beating those guys in the corners and to loose pucks for years to come. I like that he has some dawg in him too. He didn't score his goals until after getting decked by Woo. 

Joel Farabee looks to be the real deal too, he was dangerous every time he was on the ice he and Hughes had nice chemistry,  its fun to watch the young guys play.

I watched the USA Finland game. Was bummed that O’Brien didn’t play 

the one thing I did notice was Farabee’s physicality. All I have read says he is slight/ needs to bulk up.  He proved those fools wrong in the game I watched 

14 hours ago, Claude Monet said:

All I have read says he is slight/ needs to bulk up

I think he has decent size now but yeah i have to agree the junior level compared to the NHL level he will need to add more size for the rigors.

And by that i don't just mean weight.

I mean muscle weight by getting stronger.

It will happen once he gets to BU and they do more weight training with their program.

But by this i am not saying he he never gets bigger he won't have a great NHL career it has been proven you can be smaller and still have success.

I just think ever 18 year old will continue to grow get faster and stronger.

I am not concerned in the least kid is going to be really good from everything i have seen.

I think he could finish around 6-1 about 195 once he gets to around 22.

Which is more than fine. This guy is the sniper they need.

https://www.nhl.com/news/top-10-players-at-world-junior-summer-showcase/c-299676098?tid=277729154

A look at the top 10 players in the tourney. Two Flyers prospects made the list - Farabee and O'Brien.

Joel Farabee, F, United States (Philadelphia Flyers)

Farabee (6-0, 164), led the U.S. with three goals in five games. The 18-year-old forward displayed his high-end hockey sense and offensive skills on almost every shift.

"I was thoroughly impressed with the young man, his game, his mental approach," U.S. coach Mike Hastings said. "He put a lot of miles on this week, played a lot of minutes, and I didn't see his game drop off from day to day. I was really impressed with his ability to play on both sides of the puck."

Jay O'Brien, F, United States (Philadelphia Flyers)

The 18-year-old made the biggest jump in competition of any player at the camp, going from playing against New England high school players to the best under-20 players in the world, and never looked out of place.

At times O'Brien (5-11, 185) looked like the fastest player on the ice. He also was versatile enough to play center and wing, kill penalties and play the point on the power play.

He scored two goals in a 6-5 loss to Canada and had four points (two goals, two assists) in five games.

"He can skate and his head can keep up with his feet, which is pretty special," Hastings said. "As he continues to gain some confidence you'll see him continue to get better."

Archived