Hurricanes trade Jeff Skinner to the Sabres...

5 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Terrible trade IMO.  Sabres trade Cliff Pu and a few picks for Jeff Skinner.  (sigh)  I don't really see how this helps Carolina now or in the future.  No 1st round picks unless you count Pu as one.  

I am loving this one.  Love it

Doesn't make sense. Carolina took big strides forward this offseason, this trade is a huge step backward for a team that should be aiming at a playoff berth. The only thing I can think of is that they knew he wasn't going to be with them past this year, and didn't want to "risk" making a run, being forced to keep him at the deadline, and then losing him for nothing.

As for Buffalo, this only makes sense if they sign him to an extension. If they can't lock him up past this year, this is a huge blunder for a team still working through their rebuild.

@CreaseAndAssist

There has to be more. The trade has to be designed to free cap space for something. The new owner in Carolina said that money would be no object, so far he has

Couldn't lure assistant GM of the Kings Michael Futa for the GM job, offering him less than he was making as an assistant in LA to be the GM in Carolina. The highly thought of Futa politely declined.

Signed untested unproven Brindamour as the coach on the cheap.

Taken on less salary with Hamilton for Lindholm who wanted way more than they were willing to pay and Hanifin

Essentially given Skinner to the Sabres. Why not trade Skinner to Buffalo for O'Reilly a month ago?

Attempted to fix the gaping hole in net on the cheap by signing Mrazek to a 'show me' contract. Mrazek has been awful for several years now.

Clumsily more or less fired the voice of the franchise on radio for 38 years by offering him an 80 percent pay cut.

I spoke to a friend about this deal when I saw it, I was shaking my head he said there has to be another trade coming around the corner where they needed the cap space. I took a quick look through the players who are UFA next year and I came up with two names:

Seguin

Karlsson

If there is not a deal involving one or the other coming to Carolina the fans there (all nineteen of them) need to get the pitchforks and tar and feathers out and have a full on revolt. This franchise has the longest current streak of missing the playoffs (nine years) under Francis he was too loyal to old farts like Cam Ward, I took that as a good sign thatthey bid him adieu but I haven't see much of anything that impresses so far. Even the big deal with Calgary was more or less a sideways deal. Oh I do like the Hamonic signing, but he is a veteran 4D who has proven fragile, if healthy he helps but this has been a strange year in Raleigh.

For Buffalo: Skinner is the absolute sh|ts defensively, but is one of the best even-strength goal scorers in the game. If he works well with Eichel, and they can retain him, it's a tremendous steal.

For Carolina: this new owner really knows how to make the fans happy. Dumps the almost 35-year long voice of the team and then trades its star winger for a decent prospect and a couple of Magic: The Gathering packs.

I don't get this at all from the Hurricanes, for the reasons already stated.  I don't like Karlsson going there unless they're flipping Hamilton.  I suppose Seguin is possible, but I highly doubt it. 

With the signing of Mrazek and these deals, I can only assume one thing:  we're witnessing "the process" in Carolina. 

Or a move back to Hartford. 

You gotta like this if you're a Sabres fan, especially if they extend him (they'll have the cap room), but even if they don't.  He makes their top 6 much better.  They lacked the trigger guy.  Now they have it. He's allergic to defense, though, so someone else will have to pick up the slack. 

Buffalo is still going to struggle on defense after Dahlin and Risto, but they'll be okay. Their goaltending is still "show me," but it can only be better than what they've had. 

They greatly improved their team today. 

Carolina...I'm betting there's nothing more. They seem to be thinking Svechnikov will start in Carolina. He plays the other side, but I guess they're counting on him to be their shooter.  Odd trade for them. 

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Doesn't make sense. Carolina took big strides forward this offseason, this trade is a huge step backward for a team that should be aiming at a playoff berth. The only thing I can think of is that they knew he wasn't going to be with them past this year, and didn't want to "risk" making a run, being forced to keep him at the deadline, and then losing him for nothing.

As for Buffalo, this only makes sense if they sign him to an extension. If they can't lock him up past this year, this is a huge blunder for a team still working through their rebuild.

(shrugs)  Dealing Hanifin and Skinner...IMO both dumb moves.  

33 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't get this at all from the Hurricanes, for the reasons already stated.  I don't like Karlsson going there unless they're flipping Hamilton.  I suppose Seguin is possible, but I highly doubt it. 

With the signing of Mrazek and these deals, I can only assume one thing:  we're witnessing "the process" in Carolina. 

Or a move back to Hartford. 

You gotta like this if you're a Sabres fan, especially if they extend him (they'll have the cap room), but even if they don't.  He makes their top 6 much better.  They lacked the trigger guy.  Now they have it. He's allergic to defense, though, so someone else will have to pick up the slack. 

Buffalo is still going to struggle on defense after Dahlin and Risto, but they'll be okay. Their goaltending is still "show me," but it can only be better than what they've had. 

They greatly improved their team today. 

Carolina...I'm betting there's nothing more. They seem to be thinking Svechnikov will start in Carolina. He plays the other side, but I guess they're counting on him to be their shooter.  Odd trade for them. 

The problem is that they had made their team worse running up to this.They've added 70 goals to their roster with Sheary, Skinner, Sobotka, and Berglund, but lost 44 between Kane and O'Reilly. Add to that the fact that not everyone can play with Eichel, and scoring gets dicey. This is a team that needs literally everything to go right in order to sniff the playoffs:

- Sheary needs to produce away from Crosby, his most common center last year. 

- Sobotka, Berglund, Pominville, and Okposo have to not regress too much as they age.

- Either Mittelstadt or Reinhart needs to step up and be more than just competent in the 2C role with O'Reilly's departure. With Reinhart having played mostly wing, and Mittelstadt having played 6 NHL games, that's a tall order.

- Dahlin has to adjust to the NHL immediately. No growing pains, which is a lot to ask of a just-drafted defenseman, even one as good as he should be.

- Eichel needs to not get injured.

- Either Hutton or Ullmark needs to prove they are capable starters at the NHL level, after never starting even half a season.

- The defense as a whole needs to stop bleeding scoring chances against. Of those who played half a season or more, only Franson had a positive scoring chance or Corsi percentage. Ristolainen squeaks above 50% in high-danger percentage. That's not inspiring, especially considering the previous point.

And that's all without factoring in their competition for a playoff spot. They're not jumping Tampa or Toronto. I suppose Boston could go into a tailspin, but I think that's unlikely. That leaves them trying to beat out three of Philly, Jersey, Florida, and Columbus - all teams with fewer glaring holes. Of course anything can happen over the course of a season, but I just don't see this pushing the needle even into "possible" territory where the playoffs are concerned.

6 hours ago, AJgoal said:

The problem is that they had made their team worse running up to this.They've added 70 goals to their roster with Sheary, Skinner, Sobotka, and Berglund, but lost 44 between Kane and O'Reilly. Add to that the fact that not everyone can play with Eichel, and scoring gets dicey. This is a team that needs literally everything to go right in order to sniff the playoffs:

- Sheary needs to produce away from Crosby, his most common center last year. 

- Sobotka, Berglund, Pominville, and Okposo have to not regress too much as they age.

- Either Mittelstadt or Reinhart needs to step up and be more than just competent in the 2C role with O'Reilly's departure. With Reinhart having played mostly wing, and Mittelstadt having played 6 NHL games, that's a tall order.

- Dahlin has to adjust to the NHL immediately. No growing pains, which is a lot to ask of a just-drafted defenseman, even one as good as he should be.

- Eichel needs to not get injured.

- Either Hutton or Ullmark needs to prove they are capable starters at the NHL level, after never starting even half a season.

- The defense as a whole needs to stop bleeding scoring chances against. Of those who played half a season or more, only Franson had a positive scoring chance or Corsi percentage. Ristolainen squeaks above 50% in high-danger percentage. That's not inspiring, especially considering the previous point.

And that's all without factoring in their competition for a playoff spot. They're not jumping Tampa or Toronto. I suppose Boston could go into a tailspin, but I think that's unlikely. That leaves them trying to beat out three of Philly, Jersey, Florida, and Columbus - all teams with fewer glaring holes. Of course anything can happen over the course of a season, but I just don't see this pushing the needle even into "possible" territory where the playoffs are concerned.

Yeah, pretty close to my assessment on the other thread...especially your rundown of the competition for a playoff spot. I'm not bullish on their massing the playoffs. Just saying it's not as laughable as it was. 

I like the Skinner move but there a lot more that needs to be done. 

They really haven't done well drafting. Not so much about who they've drafted but the volume. They don't seem like they've ever quite decided what they're doing.  Even with this trade, they gave up a prospect and 3 picks. It's not as if they're high picks or anything but it's a lot of plate appearances that they're not going to get. 

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't get this at all from the Hurricanes, for the reasons already stated.

I think it's just a salary dump, and they've picked up a prospect and picks package just to save face. I'm guessing that CAR decided there was no real chance of re-signing Skinner at the end of the season.

11 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Who knows they might be trying to get in the Huges sweeps.

Mrazek should help a lot in that area.

The new Owner is waiting a overhaul.

And to maybe add Hughes to Svech and Necas for the future....who knows what they have in store.

I don't think they are done with the firesale.

And the Sabres I just they are just out collecting pieces to try and cram a puzzle together...

#theCupistheirs

Skinner has been rumored for a trade the last couple of years.  I think the Hurricanes have known for some time he wasn't going to sign a long-term deal and would walk next year for nothing.  Other GM's knew the same and I think they got the best deal they could.  I don't think a lot of teams were looking to add Skinner to their roster.    Buffalo loses nothing in this deal in a year where they can make the playoffs in a weak Atlantic division. 

The only way the Canes sniff Hughes is if they get ping-pong ball luck like Philly. Way too many teams that are constructed far worse than they are (Isles, Ottawa, Montreal, Arizona, Buffalo, Rangers, Vancouver...). They have the best defense (on paper) in the Metro, if not the East. They lost 40 goals, but Svechnikov should help offset some of that. It's not like their goaltending was good last year, either. They are still lacking a #1 center, but that was an issue last year, too. They'll tick down a bit, but they're not approaching sweepstakes-level bad.

14 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I think it's just a salary dump, and they've picked up a prospect and picks package just to save face. I'm guessing that CAR decided there was no real chance of re-signing Skinner at the end of the season.

Yeah. 

I guess I'm shocked that was the best offer they got.  A third round midling prospect and three picks (second, third and sixth). I guess I'm shocked that at least St. Louis' first rounder wasn't involved. 

I guess if he wouldn't agree to an extension before a trade their hands were tied. Or (and?) maybe he only waived his NTC because it's close to home. 

On 8/2/2018 at 6:56 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Terrible trade IMO.  Sabres trade Cliff Pu and a few picks for Jeff Skinner.  (sigh)  I don't really see how this helps Carolina now or in the future.  No 1st round picks unless you count Pu as one.  

I thought Carolina was recieving a few draft picks from the Sabres? 

I believe a second rounder next year and a 3rd and 6th picks in 2020! Its possible I misunderstood the what was said!

On 8/2/2018 at 7:08 PM, JR Ewing said:

For Buffalo: Skinner is the absolute sh|ts defensively, but is one of the best even-strength goal scorers in the game. If he works well with Eichel, and they can retain him, it's a tremendous steal.

For Carolina: this new owner really knows how to make the fans happy. Dumps the almost 35-year long voice of the team and then trades its star winger for a decent prospect and a couple of Magic: The Gathering packs.

Were they Alpha or Arabian Nights packs?  Asking for a friend...

Archived