The "Crow or Gripe" About Your All Star Team Thread: 2018-19

pilldoc

Pick a date for the Draft  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What day works best for you for the HF.net ALL STAR FHL Draft?

• Saturday, September 29th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • I'm Flexible for any date or time

This poll is closed to new votes

30 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'll translate for ya, @pilldoc :

The vultures were circling, starting to zero in, landed, approached your "carcass"...only to fly off when they realized you weren't quite dead... :ph34r:

Honestly, I told him a couple of weeks ago that I thought he had a playoff team if he didn't bail. 

When yave and I each traded with him it was our star for depth. He backfilled the open spots that were created quite adeptly. 

It also helps that he's doing exactly what I'm doing in NAHANA:  riding the Carter Hart wave. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@yave1964

@ruxpin

@TropicalFruitGirl26

thank you for the kind words....  I still have 2 weeks to go and I have to get through both Lady and TFG so nothing is guaranteed at this point, BUT, it sure is nice to be in the playoff conversation.  It certainly has been a tough road this year ....

oh and @ruxpin is absolutely right.....  Hart has solved my rotating goalie issue that I created at the start of the season. :)  Between Hart and Andersen.... I kind of like my odds .....

Anyone looking for any last minute shopping feel free to shoot me an offer but truthfully I am not sure what I need other than maybe one more goalie which people dont like to trade for obvious reasons.

Not really a crow or gripe....but maybe a "are you nuts?" sort of thing...

I am putting up Robin Lehner and Tuukka Rask against the Leafs and Bolts respectively.
This either will blow up my goalie stats facing down two of the most potent offenses in the league, or make them sparkle if they do well against either....or both!

Last week of regular season play as my team jockeys for playoff position....and of course I am either helping to keep @pilldoc's Piggies out, or he will get into the playoff through my Green Star Blades!
Good luck, Doc, but not too much... ;)

And good luck to Lehner and Rask....they may need it...

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I don't think I realized until your post that this was the last week of the regular season.

I'm on my phone so either can't or am to lazy to figure it out, but any idea how/why it's different than NAHANA? 

Less teams in All Stars would be my guess...so shorter schedule?

Okay, gripe.

And I'm actually a bit upset about this.   So last night I'm watching the progress of the night on my phone app.  On my phone I had literally NO ONE on my bench.  Everyone was in a "playing" slot that was playing.

I went to bed as the late games were starting and log in on the PC (I was already on the PC doing something else) and Pavelski, Schieffele and Skinner were all in bench slots.   Just on the production side it cost me 2G 3A.   And while I would still be behind in SOG, I'd only be 3 shots back rather than 16.

I don't know what happened or why, but I am 100% sure they were in playing slots last night and I didn't do any drop/add or anything else that would have changed that.

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, gripe.

And I'm actually a bit upset about this.   So last night I'm watching the progress of the night on my phone app.  On my phone I had literally NO ONE on my bench.  Everyone was in a "playing" slot that was playing.

I went to bed as the late games were starting and log in on the PC (I was already on the PC doing something else) and Pavelski, Schieffele and Skinner were all in bench slots.   Just on the production side it cost me 2G 3A.   And while I would still be behind in SOG, I'd only be 3 shots back rather than 16.

I don't know what happened or why, but I am 100% sure they were in playing slots last night and I didn't do any drop/add or anything else that would have changed that.

Oh man ...that stinks.  I have no idea what could have happened.  I totally feel for you though.  As close as some of these math-ups have been, everyone needs every point they can muster.

24 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Oh man ...that stinks.  I have no idea what could have happened.  I totally feel for you though.  As close as some of these math-ups have been, everyone needs every point they can muster.

Yeah, I have no  idea.  I'm sitting here trying to talk myself into believing I was looking at the wrong league or mistaken somehow or in a Bubonic plague or yellow fever induced hallucinogenic state.  I really don't think so.

It's also making me question the times I was sure I set my roster and later realized it wasn't set.   I'll blame the app.  And Mark Zuckerberg.  :)

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I have no  idea.  I'm sitting here trying to talk myself into believing I was looking at the wrong league or mistaken somehow or in a Bubonic plague or yellow fever induced hallucinations.  I really don't think so.

It's also making me question the times I was sure I set my roster and later realized it wasn't set.   I'll blame the app.  And Mark Zuckerberg.  :)

I'll blame global warming! :VeryCool:

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I have no  idea.  I'm sitting here trying to talk myself into believing I was looking at the wrong league or mistaken somehow or in a Bubonic plague or yellow fever induced hallucinogenic state.  I really don't think so.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I'll blame global warming! :VeryCool:

Rad has already told us...
Yahoo Code Monkeys!!
code.jpg.f7f05eca2eeb0939995bdaf01a4dbebd.jpg

They are worse than the freakin gremlins of WWII!!

gremlins.jpg.3a83a0203bfd7b83b1a9fb07e027f455.jpg

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, gripe.

Dammit!  Now I definitely feel your pain.  I just check NAHANA and I swear I had all slots filled for today.  I just found out that Draisaitl is on the bench and of course he has 1G, 2A and 4FOW.  I can't give points away to Joe.  :bonkingheadonwall:   Oh well. .......

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Dammit!  Now I definitely feel your pain.  I just check NAHANA and I swear I had all slots filled for today.  I just found out that Draisaitl is on the bench and of course he has 1G, 2A and 4FOW.  I can't give points away to Joe.  :bonkingheadonwall:   Oh well. .......

I truly believe it wasn't you. Something is weird. Was it the app? My temptation is to blame the app. 

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Seriously, Doc.  It seems it will work out in my favor because Binnington is not having a good game, but because of my frustration this morning, i very deliberately set my lineups for tonight. 

Yet Binnington is STILL ON MY FRICKEN BENCH! 

I don't know what else to do to set my lineups. But I'm not at a console 24/7 to check and then doublecheck. And then check again. 

I have no doubt about either time. 

CROW!!

Whoo hoo!!!  I officially made the playoffs in All Star.  Can't believe just about 6-7 weeks ago I was in last place going no where.  My goal was to make a few moves to see what might work.  Reaching the playoffs was a goal .....  just proves you are never out of it.  I am now up against that great FHL GM @J0e Th0rnton and his Sharks.  Good Luck Joe..  I actually like my chances as I think I match up pretty good against him.  Regardless of how it shakes out I consider this year successful despite being in last place most of the year.

Here are the rest of the 1st Round Match-Ups.

image.png.922004c722675c1014e9a627c1ed7c04.png

Please remember I will manually reseed once the week is completed.  (Highest seed remaining vs. lowest seed remaining ......next highest seed remaining vs. second lowest seed remaining...etc...)

Good Luck to all in playoffs!

EDIT:  some other useful information I have discovered in past years. 

1) If you win your first game in the first round, you are guaranteed to remain in All Star for next year as you will finish in top four. (the 2 winners in the 2nd round will meet for 1st and 2nd place, while 2 losers will meet to determine the 3rd and 4th place seedings)

2) If you lose your first game, then you MUST win your 2nd Round game in order to remain in All Star for next year.  (the 2 winners of the 2nd round will meet in 3rd round to determine 5th and 6th place seedings)

3) If you lose BOTH of your opening round games then sadly you will be relegated to Conn Smythe next year. (your 3rd round game will determine the 7th and 8th seedings)

Also ....

Congrats to the Presindent's Trophy Winners:

All Star: Halifax Sharknado ( @J0e Th0rnton)

Conn Smythe: Ded Flatbird ( @pilldoc )

Both GM's are guaranteed a place in the All Star League next year despite how they do in the playoffs.

Also I would like to personally thank everyone who participated in either one of our leagues this year.  There are some mighty fine FHL GM's all around that we have and I am proud to compete against you guys.  Everyone deserves a big round of applause.

Good Luck to all in the Playoffs!

PS.  I will post some final season stats later today.

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

CROW!!

Whoo hoo!!!  I officially made the playoffs in All Star.  Can't believe just about 6-7 weeks ago I was in last place going no where.  My goal was to make a few moves to see what might work.  Reaching the playoffs was a goal .....  just proves you are never out of it.  I am now up against that great FHL GM @J0e Th0rnton and his Sharks.  Good Luck Joe..  I actually like my chances as I think I match up pretty good against him.  Regardless of how it shakes out I consider this year successful despite being in last place most of the year.

Here are the rest of the 1st Round Match-Ups.

image.png.922004c722675c1014e9a627c1ed7c04.png

Please remember I will manually reseed once the week is completed.  (Highest seed remaining vs. lowest seed remaining ......next highest seed remaining vs. second lowest seed remaining...etc...)

Good Luck to all in playoffs!

EDIT:  some other useful information I have discovered in past years. 

1) If you win your first game in the first round, you are guaranteed to remain in All Star for next year as you will finish in top four. (the 2 winners in the 2nd round will meet for 1st and 2nd place, while 2 losers will meet to determine the 3rd and 4th place seedings)

2) If you lose your first game, then you MUST win your 2nd Round game in order to remain in All Star for next year.  (the 2 winners of the 2nd round will meet in 3rd round to determine 5th and 6th place seedings)

3) If you lose BOTH of your opening round games then sadly you will be relegated to Conn Smythe next year. (your 3rd round game will determine the 7th and 8th seedings)

I just made a bunch of moves because I had 5 players only playing 2 games this week lol

37 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I just made a bunch of moves because I had 5 players only playing 2 games this week lol

Ha! I knew you would...I picked up 2 players specifically because they had 4 games this week.  I know you too well my friend.  :smileyandcomputer:

I could not have drawn a more dangerous opponent for the first round in AKOF He has a 54-50 man game advantage and the hottest goalie going right now in MAF. Our stats for the season are very even, I thrashed him stat wise in some categories, he beat me badly in others. We played twice this season, I won the first time 9-6 and the second 11-5 but both games came down to a point here or there and could have gone either way. 

The 8-1 seeds, @J0e Th0rnton and @pilldoc split there two meetings, joe winning the first week of the year 11-7 and doc down the stretch in a tough 9-8 battle.  Joe has the number one seed but doc has been as hot as anyone down the stretch.

3-6 is @ruxpin and @Bakanekimiwa Rux won both meetings this year 8-6 and 8-7 and it is a fairly even match. 

4-5 is the fun one, @TropicalFruitGirl26 and Nastyangry man, they split their two meetings during the season TFG winning 8-7 and nasty 10-6 late in the year to sew up a top seed.

If I were a betting man...…

I give a slight edge to j0e because he is the number one seed but it is close because of man games. I think Rux will win his series, I believe that TFG should win hers. I probably give AKOF a slight edge in our series but it will probably come down towho has the hottest goalies in the series.

31 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I think Rux will win his series

Thanks for that, but this will be tight.  Bak's goalies are healthy again, though Gibson is playing behind a horrific team.   

And coming in, we both have 60 man games.

Here's the thing that will likely prove to be the difference, if not this week then at some point:  I'm about out of moves.  I used quite a bunch early to try to stay afloat and to overcome autodrafting, so I have FIVE remaining moves to last me over three playoff rounds.  I figure if Ken Holland can go a really long time without making moves, so can I. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This will be tight.  Bak's goalies are healthy again, though Gibson is playing behind a horrific team.   

And coming in, we both have 60 man games.

Here's the thing that will likely prove to be the difference, if not this week then at some point:  I'm about out of moves.  I used quite a bunch early to try to stay afloat and to overcome autodrafting, so I have FIVE remaining moves to last me over three playoff rounds.  I figure if Ken Holland can go a really long time without making moves, so can I. 

I hoarded mine down the stretch when it became obvious that @J0e Th0rnton could not be caught.

I just used one as a playoff move, not the kind of move that in the regular season I would have done in a million years, I cut Ryan Johansen and picked up Sam Bennett. Johansen has only 2 games and has been ice cold for weeks, I have tons of fsceoffs from elsewhere and should easily win that cat, plus Johansen next week has only 3 starts and of those two I have too many players already. Hoping Bennett locks up PIMS or hits as he has 3 games in the next four games, then he will be cut and I will stream this weekend based on need. Like I said, never ever in the regular season but postseason in a non keeper league, I swallowed hard and took the chance.

15 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Ryan Johansen and picked up Sam Bennett. Johansen has only 2 games and has been ice cold for weeks

Don't I know it.  The reason is because I got him in NAHANA.

I've had him at least twice before and couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Heh...

I am just chuckling at all the movement being done with regards to playoffs.....and yea, I got involved in that too.
Especially in one year leagues like this.

It's a different animal in a keeper league, but a one year sprint like this, its all about man-games balanced with what you will actually get with the player....
Common wisdom says 4-man games > 2 man games...however, if the guy playing 2-games is awesome, he can do better than the so-so guy playing 4....and that is what we are all trying to outguess each other on.

And yea, healthy goalies are a must.
Carey Price just contracted the flu for instance.... a-hole! :bigteeth:
If I didn't know better, I'd say that stinkin Hab timed that just right for the first round of my playoff series.... :ph34r:

Anyways, good luck all!

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Carey Price just contracted the flu for instance.... a-hole! :bigteeth:
If I didn't know better, I'd say that stinkin Hab timed that just right for the first round of my playoff series

That's just the price you pay.

Archived