The "Crow or Gripe" About Your All Star Team Thread: 2018-19

pilldoc

Pick a date for the Draft  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What day works best for you for the HF.net ALL STAR FHL Draft?

• Saturday, September 29th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • I'm Flexible for any date or time

This poll is closed to new votes

55 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I hoarded mine down the stretch when it became obvious that @J0e Th0rnton could not be caught.

I just used one as a playoff move, not the kind of move that in the regular season I would have done in a million years, I cut Ryan Johansen and picked up Sam Bennett. Johansen has only 2 games and has been ice cold for weeks, I have tons of fsceoffs from elsewhere and should easily win that cat, plus Johansen next week has only 3 starts and of those two I have too many players already. Hoping Bennett locks up PIMS or hits as he has 3 games in the next four games, then he will be cut and I will stream this weekend based on need. Like I said, never ever in the regular season but postseason in a non keeper league, I swallowed hard and took the chance.

Agree wholehardily. I actually looked at Sam Bennett. I purposely picked up 2 players simply because they play 4 games this week. 

I would give Joe a slight edge too, however I do like my potential goalie starts vs. his goalies.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the match-ups for this week. (Semi-finals)

image.png.7c8c37473814a8b3548b7fc5a5e8b9cc.png

For the 2nd year in a row we had major upsets in the first round.  I would like to commend @J0e Th0rnton for a tough well fought match that was not decided until late last night.  I was on pins and needles heading to bed.  You had an incredible year.   I never envisioned being in the Semi-Finals a couple of weeks ago.  It has been a roller coaster of a ride.

@ruxpin

I feel so bad for you.  I saw your post on the All Star forum.  I am so sorry for the frustrations you have experienced the past few weeks.  Even though I know it is not my fault, I still feel horrible because I was part of the decision making process to move the HF.net FHL to the Yahoo platform.  I wish I had an answer for you but I don't.  i would hate to see you leave, but I would understand if you do.  :( 

32 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Here are the match-ups for this week. (Semi-finals)

image.png.7c8c37473814a8b3548b7fc5a5e8b9cc.png

For the 2nd year in a row we had major upsets in the first round.  I would like to commend @J0e Th0rnton for a tough well fought match that was not decided until late last night.  I was on pins and needles heading to bed.  You had an incredible year.   I never envisioned being in the Semi-Finals a couple of weeks ago.  It has been a roller coaster of a ride.

@ruxpin

I feel so bad for you.  I saw your post on the All Star forum.  I am so sorry for the frustrations you have experienced the past few weeks.  Even though I know it is not my fault, I still feel horrible because I was part of the decision making process to move the HF.net FHL to the Yahoo platform.  I wish I had an answer for you but I don't.  i would hate to see you leave, but I would understand if you do.  :( 

Congtatz doc! Now I know how yave felt last year lol

I would to suggest a few minor tweaks if possible.

1) 90 moves per year instead of 80. It really limits a team down the stretch, I understand strategy and all but even in Nahana where we have only 4 transactions per week there are 90.

2) perhaps switch it back to where only 6 teams make the postseason instead of 8? Nahana we switched to 8 because there are 14 teams in the league but with 12 teams, if we have 6 make the playoffs the top two can have a first round bye which gives a bit more to play for?

3) An extra bench spot as I feel the rosters have shrunk a bit too small.

That is about it, a few minor changes that I think might help a bit. Anyone have any thoughts?

@pilldoc

Congrats on the upset, looking forward to a challenging week against your stable of ten million goalies, lol. I looked your roster over today, I have 2 1/2 starting goalies, one of whom, Quick has only two starts going against your lawfirm in net of Luongo, smith, Andersen, Schneider and Hart. I can only hope that my skaters skate as you should own all or most goalie stats. 

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Congrats on the upset, looking forward to a challenging week against your stable of ten million goalies, lol.

Yeah it should be a blast ....  Lets really see how far I have come since those dark days of Christmas and New Years.  I've gotten blasted by you twice this year by a combined score of 5 - 27.  I've addressed some deficiencies I had since we last met.  You still have a much stronger team, but I home to at least keep it close this time around. 

going against your lawfirm in net of Luongo, smith, Andersen, Schneider and Hart.

:bigteeth:  LOL ... I seriously chuckled out loud when I read that ... LOL  :bigteeth:   Though I did drop Loungo for Elliot tonight. C'mon on the Sens suck!  Do you think I really trust Luongo ??? :HahaNO:

I can only hope that my skaters skate as you should own all or most goalie stats. 

Well like I said about ... I did address some holes....now we will see if it is enough to overcome your strong roster ...we shall see.

Good Luck @yave1964 ...should be a great matchup!

20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@pilldoc

Congrats on the upset, looking forward to a challenging week against your stable of ten million goalies, lol. I looked your roster over today, I have 2 1/2 starting goalies, one of whom, Quick has only two starts going against your lawfirm in net of Luongo, smith, Andersen, Schneider and Hart. I can only hope that my skaters skate as you should own all or most goalie stats. 

Well after one (1) night you are kicking my butt in goalie STATS.  Should I just concede my goalie stats now.  Not one but TWO SHUTOUTS!  Gonna be awfully hard to overcome that.  My lawfirm of goalies should be disbarred for impersonating a goalie! LOL

Talk about ugly stats ...you should see my goalie STATS in Conn Smythe ...both Kuemper and Andersen got lit up like a christmas tree.  (0-2 , 9.36 GAA, and .771 SV%) OUCH!  

My Stat line in All Star is not much better .... (1-1,  4.24 GAA, .854 SV%)

In an nutshell ... I'm screwed ...... LOL  ... Now I am the one praying my skaters outperform your skaters.....  LOL

Still a long week and many man games to be played ...but it does not look good for my Ice Pigs at the moment.

@pilldoc

I told Rux I felt like I just drew to an inside straight flush. Two starts, two shutouts. Never in my life did I see that coming, my goaltending has been okay but unspectacular most of the year. I think this is the first time all year I had two shutouts in the same week. I need it though, my skaters are looking like a MASH unit.

20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

1) 90 moves per year instead of 80. It really limits a team down the stretch, I understand strategy and all but even in Nahana where we have only 4 transactions per week there are 90.

2) perhaps switch it back to where only 6 teams make the postseason instead of 8? Nahana we switched to 8 because there are 14 teams in the league but with 12 teams, if we have 6 make the playoffs the top two can have a first round bye which gives a bit more to play for?

That is about it, a few minor changes that I think might help a bit. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't have an answer of opposition for either 1 or 3.  Another possibility of adding the extra bench position would be to add an extra IR+ spot.

#2.  We chose to go with an 8 team playoffs for several reasons.  One being any given year the All Star League or Conn Smythe league could have 14 teams depending on how many sign up in the fall.   But the greater reasoning I have with choosing an 8 team format over a 6 team format is it adds interest for more teams leading up to the Finals.  For example in the Conn Smythe league the 5 place team has 362 points, 6th - 356 pts, 7th - 352 pts, 8th - 352 pts, and 9th - 338 pts.    

Choosing a 6 x 6 playoffs when the top 6 teams stay in the All Star League is really no different than not having a playoffs and only playing the full season w/o a playoffs.  On the other hand, the # 1 seed losing to # 8, or #2 losing to # 7 isn't really a best plan either for rewarding the top 6 teams.

So... one possibility is to look at how a points system would work for choosing the top 6 teams in both leagues.   Maybe more weight in points is given to the regular season vs the playoffs.    I haven't worked through some numbers with this yet, but I think it is worthy of consideration.  

38 minutes ago, hf101 said:
21 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't have an answer of opposition for either 1 or 3.  Another possibility of adding the extra bench position would be to add an extra IR+ spot.

#2.  We chose to go with an 8 team playoffs for several reasons.  One being any given year the All Star League or Conn Smythe league could have 14 teams depending on how many sign up in the fall.   But the greater reasoning I have with choosing an 8 team format over a 6 team format is it adds interest for more teams leading up to the Finals.  For example in the Conn Smythe league the 5 place team has 362 points, 6th - 356 pts, 7th - 352 pts, 8th - 352 pts, and 9th - 338 pts.    

Choosing a 6 x 6 playoffs when the top 6 teams stay in the All Star League is really no different than not having a playoffs and only playing the full season w/o a playoffs.  On the other hand, the # 1 seed losing to # 8, or #2 losing to # 7 isn't really a best plan either for rewarding the top 6 teams.

So... one possibility is to look at how a points system would work for choosing the top 6 teams in both leagues.   Maybe more weight in points is given to the regular season vs the playoffs.    I haven't worked through some numbers with this yet, but I think it is worthy of consideration.

@yave1964

I don't have much more to add then what @hf101 mentioned.  I am not opposed to increasing the number of moves, or any combination of adding another bench player or IR+ positition.  IMO, a GM should not be penalized because near the end of the season, many players get banged up.

In addition to what HF mentioned with 8 vs. 6 playoff teams, if you have a bunch of GM's vying for that last playoff spot it makes it more interesting....the ole..you are never really out of it until the end of the season.  Look at my position in All Star ... think about it..I was in last place near the middle of January.  I made 2 trades, one with you and one with Rux to see what would happen.  A couple of weeks later, all of sudden I had a realistic chance of making the playoffs..and that is exactly what happened.  There was no realistic chance of catching the #6 seed, but the #8 seed became very doable.  Then look what happened last week .... I upset Joe and I can now finish no lower than 4th. If we had 6 playoffs spots.. I am not typing those sentences.   However, I do get you POV.  Bottom line we are trying to keep all the GM's interested up until the last week of the season.

That is why we made the decision to make the President's Trophy and automatic spot back into All Star.  They should not be penalized for having one bad week.  You know that first hand as it happened to you last year.

I agree with @hf101, maybe a weighted system could work. It is something we can work on throughout the summer months.  I greatly appreciate your suggestions as we are always looking for ways to improve the HF.net FHL experience.

~doc

@pilldoc

Man you had me sweating this week, I think I finally wrapped it up last night and man am I glad the week ends today. Good match doc, good luck in the next round. Great job of coming back strong down the stretch and making the final four.

6 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@pilldoc

Man you had me sweating this week, I think I finally wrapped it up last night and man am I glad the week ends today. Good match doc, good luck in the next round. Great job of coming back strong down the stretch and making the final four.

Thanks @yave1964 ... you beat me to the post. I’m officially bowing out of this match.  Your two shutouts out of the gate put me on my heals.... I had a small chance but after looking at last nights results, I’m just down too much.  I appreciate the kind words. 

I really can’t complain or be disappointed. A few weeks ago I was in last place and to finish no worse than 4th is testament to how hard I worked and never gave up. It was a tall order to make the playoffs and then to be matched up against first Joe and then you. Hey it was a great run.

You are a tremendous GM and I wish you the best in the Championship Round.

@pilldoc

When you got a GWG from Pulock  on Monday , you know the same damn Pulock who I traded to you I thought well crap. Man I didn't want to trade him, he is an under the radar guy and I remember when we were working on a deal every offer back and forth I kept taking him off the table and you kept putting him back in. When I saw his GWG I actually cursed out loud because a) he did it against the Jackets and b) he did it against me, lol.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:54 AM, hf101 said:

Personally, I'd use everything you presented to argue for 8 teams to argue for 6.

I just diametrically disagree. I think the 5th to 9th place points you listed world be vastly more riveting with only 6 making it, and i disagree completely with the "only regular season" thing (truncated because I'm in phot). Six playoff teams instantly kills the competely unnecessary exception to protect the 1st seed team. 

To 6 stay in the league. Period.  And the playoffs become a tournament among those staying. It's so obvious it's disturbing, frankly, that it's not being done. 

Sorry, but this particular subject has me really irritated. For competition purposes, there is no excuse that in a 12 team league the first seed team has to risk losing to a team that finished with over 100 less points, and it's happened two years in a row. 

And not in a set up that BEGS for a six team format since the top 6 teams stay. 

And to Hell with adults who cannot stay focused for a few months to something they agreed to.  The people engaged might as well be able to enjoy it. 

I've said this in private, but I'll repeat here:  i think decisions are being made in favor of those who will not remain interested no matter what you do over those who actually enjoy it but are faced with odd choices. 

Sorry. I don't agree at all with the 8 team format or the reasoning I've seen regarding it. It makes zero sense to me when the 6 is jumping up and down screaming because it's so obvious. 

And while I'm ticking people off, I don't like randomly ending the season a week early either. People being rested in the last week isn't a valid reason when everyone has the same issue and it's a non-keeper league. Some of us really do enjoy playing as long as possible. 

@ruxpin  -- All Valid points.  I get it.  I really liked it when Yahoo allowed a 2-week finals.   Each offseason @pilldoc sends out a questionnaire and we evaluate what needs tweaking for the next season.  You are welcomed to join in that conversation.

Gripe...In a big way!!!

Remember when Freddie Andersen was one of the best fantasy netminders? Yeah, neither do I. The Danish puck-stopper has been flipping the bird to me and other owners of him during the fantasy playoffs for the better part of two weeks now. Heading into a Tuesday night matchup with the Preds, he had allowed 14 goals in three games.  UGH!

What the hell has happened to him and the Leafs ......

Are the Laffs more pretenders again instead of contenders .......

He alone has cost me many goalie stats ....... :rage:

On 3/17/2019 at 10:35 PM, hf101 said:

@ruxpin  -- All Valid points.  I get it.  I really liked it when Yahoo allowed a 2-week finals.   Each offseason @pilldoc sends out a questionnaire and we evaluate what needs tweaking for the next season.  You are welcomed to join in that conversation.

i apologize... I did not do it last year.  Life just got too busy.  Will try to get something together in the next week or so.

Attention All!

Please look for an e-mail I sent out via SurveyMonkey.  It is a short survey (~10 minutes to take) for your thoughts and opinions for the past year regarding the HF.net All Star FHL 2018-19 season.  This survey is completely anonymous and will be kept private.  It is our way on how to best better your FHL experience for next year.

Therefore, please take 10 minutes to fill this survey out.

Many Thanks.

~doc

49 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Attention All!

Please look for an e-mail I sent out via SurveyMonkey.  It is a short survey (~10 minutes to take) for your thoughts and opinions for the past year regarding the HF.net All Star FHL 2018-19 season.  This survey is completely anonymous and will be kept private.  It is our way on how to best better your FHL experience for next year.

Therefore, please take 10 minutes to fill this survey out.

Many Thanks.

~doc

Found it....ended up for some reason in my junk mail right next to the Keto Diet Plan, Nigerian bank notifications, and Hot Asian Singles emails. 

Anyways, filled it out and sent.
Thanks for hosting Doc, and looking forward to next season as well! 

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Found it....ended up for some reason in my junk mail right next to the Keto Diet Plan, Nigerian bank notifications, and Hot Asian Singles emails. 

Anyways, filled it out and sent.
Thanks for hosting Doc, and looking forward to next season as well! 

I found one that had "Animal Farm" as the subject. I thought I'd accidentally joined some George Orwell book club. 

No. Not at all George Orwell. Two legs VERY baaaad. 

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Giving Fantasy hockey a whole new meaning I see .... 🤣

All joking aside ...thanks for the info about junk mail I should send something out to look for the survey there if one does not find it immediately.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I found one that had "Animal Farm" as the subject. I thought I'd accidentally joined some George Orwell book club. 

No. Not at all George Orwell. Two legs VERY baaaad. 

Where is @Podein25 when you need him..LOL

Archived