The "Crow or Gripe" About Your All Star Team Thread: 2018-19

pilldoc

Pick a date for the Draft  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What day works best for you for the HF.net ALL STAR FHL Draft?

• Saturday, September 29th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • I'm Flexible for any date or time

This poll is closed to new votes

So, this isn't really a crow nor a gripe. I was really proud of myself last night for sitting Holtby in favor of (gasp) Mrazek. Mrazek didn't get the win, but he didn't get the loss, either, losing 2-1 in OT. 

But I didn't audit my "set active" for the week. I'm used to tweaking my roster each night before the games start, but since my commute doesn't allow for it, I have to try to get better about doing it ahead of time. 

So I panicked when I realized Carolina was playing again tonight. Briefly horrified. And then I realized he wasn't playing back-to-back. 

Disaster averted. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh ... so glad I haven't lost my touch from last year.  Just call me the official Goalie killer! LOL

Yup! you guess it Luongo (whom I own in All Star / Conn Smythe) and Quick (whom I own in Conn Smythe) are both on the IR.  I seriously cannot make this crap up.....  :dizzysmiley-1:

18 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Way to grab Tristan Jarry in every league doc lol

Gotta be prepared just in case!

@yave1964 to DeSmith figured between the two of us , one of us will get lucky!

oh and I grabbed DrSmith in Conn Smythe also!

Disgustingly close double week against you @pilldoc

But I think I will pull ahead and stay ahead on the final night due to mangames. I have 8 Skaters tonight to your 1

I ALMOST want to use several add/Drops to load up on shot blockers tonight but it is not worth it. I don't have a single person on my Roster I want to drop so I can't stream right now!

The most likely category to shift is Goals. With Burns, Hertl, Kane, Palmieri out there.

But it has been a great week. I was extremely annoyed to wake up having gone to bed ahead 12-6 to wake up to an 8-8

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Disgustingly close double week against you @pilldoc

But I think I will pull ahead and stay ahead on the final night due to mangames. I have 8 Skaters tonight to your 1

I ALMOST want to use several add/Drops to load up on shot blockers tonight but it is not worth it. I don't have a single person on my Roster I want to drop so I can't stream right now!

The most likely category to shift is Goals. With Burns, Hertl, Kane, Palmieri out there.

But it has been a great week. I was extremely annoyed to wake up having gone to bed ahead 12-6 to wake up to an 8-8

It was a great close week. Sadly there is no way I’m going to keep it even. I took one look at your 8-1 man game advantage and just growned. Congrats on a Great week.....

15 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Did I just see the reigning Hart trophy winner Taylor Hall and Varlamov(Who is playing like Vezina Varly) get traded for Carolina's 3rd goalie and Kyle Connor?

Yup ... It will go down as a brilliant move or an utterly gross/ugly self inflicted gun-shot move ......

I, along with @ruxpin believe that McIhenney is better than mental midget Mrazek and Darling.  I think if given a legit shot, McIhenney can become the starter.  Afterall he did well backing up Andersen in Toronto.

Varly is playing well now, but can he keep it up???  I look at both the Avs and Canes as being about even.

Hall, up until last year, has been a disappointment.  I just don't thing he repeats what he did last year.  He had a higher SH% last year as compared to his career SH% and he was awarded a high number of secondary assists last  year.  A number that is hard to repeat.

So yeah it is a gamble .....

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Yup ... It will go down as a brilliant move or an utterly gross self inflicted gun-shot move ......

I, along with @ruxpin believe that McIhenney is better than mental midget Mrazek and Darling.  I think if give a legit shot, McIhenney can become the starter.  After he did well backing up Andersen in Toronto.

Varly is playing well now, but can he keep it up???  I look at both the Avs and Canes as being about even.

Hall, up until last year, has been a disappointment.  I just don't thing he repeats what he did last year.  He had a higher SH% last year as compared to his career SH% and he was awarded a high number of secondary assists last  year.  A number that is hard to repeat.

So yeah it is a gamble .....

Ill agree to disagree lol.

Hall being centered by Hischer is one of the main reasons I drafted Hischier in a lot of leagues.

Varly absolutely can keep it up. Colorado has turned it around bigtime and Varly was 4th for the Hart a few years back. Maybe his glass Groin will give out again I suppose lol

How come nobody is shopping around! I want some trade offers. Mind you some realistic ones. I would have given for Hall! lol

6 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Ill agree to disagree lol.

Hall being centered by Hischer is one of the main reasons I drafted Hischier ...........

How come nobody is shopping around! I want some trade offers. Mind you some realistic ones. I would have given for Hall! lol

Agree to a point.... Hall was with McDavid in Edm and did not exactly light it up.  Why would he suddenly turn it around with Nico?  After all McDavid is >>Nico.

He very well could have better chemistry with Nico then McDavid. I get what he did last year but I want to see Hall repeat it.  

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Agree to a point.... Hall was with McDavid in Edm and did not exactly light it up.  Why would he suddenly turn it around with Nico?  After all McDavid is >>Nico.

He very well could have better chemistry with Nico then McDavid. I get what he did last year but I want to see Hall repeat it.  

I sent you a McInhenney + Darling + Domi for Seguin offer in NAHANA lol

Feel free to reject and call me a douche :P

McDavid and Hall both want to carry the puck  and control the play and were like oil and water. Which is why Draisaitl + Hall was such a good line after McDavid got injured. It is hard to rationalize Hall's stats before McDavid because they had such awful coaching on the Oilers. Hall before McDavid was able to put up 80 points in 75 games with RNH and Eberle(and 50 points in 45 games during the lockout season), and was drafted 1st overall ahead of Seguin. NJ was rebuilding and have some nice young pieces being built around Hall, so while I am not a fan of his attitude(Never really liked Hall), I think he can be a top 20 scorer several years

Also, I am drunk right now drinking the last of my stock watching the Sharks give up a lead to the devils, so I am just teasing ya bud 😛

Alys just asked what is for supper and I made a drunken noise indicating I am not cooking jack **** tonight and plan on enjoying this day off with my Smirnoff ice. The girls just asked me to help them color then berated me for not keeping the crayon between the lines

Edit: and for some reason I just drew a scull on the corner of their paper. They are mad at me. mirrors my mood as the Sharks choke away this lead.

At a quick glance first week

Despite my goalie numbers looking suspect, I forget that they ALWAYS look suspect for the first 20 games.

Tied for 1st in wins but also bottom  ranked 3 in losses. 5th in GAA, 2nd in sv% and 1st in saves and tied for 2nd in Shutouts

Middle of the pack in goals, but near 3rd last in assists. Top 4 in PIM's and PPG's. but middle of the pack in PPA. 2nd in SOG, FOW and hits and top 5 in blocks.

All in all a below average scoring week but solid in Peripherals and goaltending to net me the win. Which is par for the course with the teams I build lol

@JR Ewing

You did not need to pick uo Lucic to buff the hit category Daryl!

You kind of lead the league with 108 this week! Come to think of it, I was 2nd with 99 so maybe that was a smart move. Ill need to reciprocate. Problem is I like my entire team and don't want to drop anyone for a bruiser for once.

Well, I can take Borowecki for tonight I guess. Hischier is not really injured, but he is listed as "Day to day" so I can stow him on IR for a night and Borowecki is overdue for his first fight of the year + Game misconduct. it will probably be with Methot or Polak lol. He is also due for a 7-9 hit night as he has yet to break the 5 threshold this season.

Still trying to figure out what I have with my all star team this year, I built it completely different than in years past.

I ALWAYS go goalie depth with the 'forgotten four' categories (shots/hits/faceoffs/blocks) more or less owned by me giving me a 5-7 more or less guaranteed cat win every week, need to break even in the other cats for a nice win, nice simple formula. This year my goaltending is suspect, I have much more offense than usual and while I do have solid stats in the 4 cats I usually own they are solid but not unbeatable save for possibly faceoffs where I don't anticipate losing to more than maybe @pilldoc this year and that is a maybe. As always I pay a ton of attention to multiple position qualifiers as with a short bench and only one utility spot it is HUGE in this league.

So I guess I am saying it is not my usual team, I need to move one of my 5 centers who only qualify at one position, any could be had in the right deal. I might offer Giroux for the right goalie, with him qualifying at C/LW in this league it makes him that much more valuable (not so much Nahana with a utility and all those spots where you canplug in any forward) so he would have to net me an elite goalie. I think I don't really like my team even though it is a good team, I am used to a roster of guys like Staal and Komarov and all these star or near star forwards just confuse me, lol.

@yave1964

Morning Yave,

Always nice to have an early match up with you.  I agree with you.  Not sure were my team stands either.   Despite drafting 12th/13th and then having to wait 20+ picks I thought I had a decent team.

I'm not horrible by any stretch of the imagination.  I have decent peripherals in FOW / Hits / Blocks.  SOG could be a tad better.  Stamkos is off to another slow start but he should be picking it up soon.  I like Marner and E. Lindholm (who has been a pleasant surprise) and I really like my defense.  Just kind of snake bit again with goalies.  It's been Russian roulette with Louongo hurt in Florida.  I thought I was smart drafting Reimer (since I knew Louongo was eventually going to go on IR) but he and the Panthers have been crapping the bed, except when they played the Flyers.

And .....  :HahaNO:Andersen is not available.  :) 

I drafted my team a tiny bit differently this year as well, with more focus on well rounded scoring than just Peripherals and goaltending. I revamped my team mid year last year when i was at the bottom and Last year I barely squeaked into the playoffs. Last year I think I was last overall in scoring in all G, A, PPG and PPA categories halfway through the year due to going after the Borowecki's of the world.

But as usual, I went straight for the top goalies I could snag with my first 2 picks. The 3rd goalie is just to buffer in case of injury and to pad the saves stat if applicable :)

Some Crowing for the Green Star Blades... FINALLY!!

Leading my matchup midway through the week against Bakanekimiwa 10-5 entering today's games.
Most categories are still close, but because my goaltenders are starting to play better than they have the first two weeks, for once, I am NOT playing catch up on categories from the beginning of the week onward!

Amazing what good, healthy goalies can do for an FHL team, eh?  :ahappy:

Anyways, with better goaltending in place, I now no longer need to sweep all offensive and peripheral categories just to feel "in" the match up....although, I like my team's chances to put up points and do well in those CATS as well.

On 10/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Some Crowing for the Green Star Blades... FINALLY!!

Leading my matchup midway through the week against Bakanekimiwa 10-5 entering today's games.
Most categories are still close, but because my goaltenders are starting to play better than they have the first two weeks, for once, I am NOT playing catch up on categories from the beginning of the week onward!

Amazing what good, healthy goalies can do for an FHL team, eh?  :ahappy:

Anyways, with better goaltending in place, I now no longer need to sweep all offensive and peripheral categories just to feel "in" the match up....although, I like my team's chances to put up points and do well in those CATS as well.

Having 2 solid goalies and a 3rd starter who plays a lot of games is a boon usually. Just gotta get through their cold stretches sometimes. A bad week for goalies can kill your entire week and no matter how good they are, you still usually are looking at a 35% chance they lose. A single bad game can blow their GAA and sv%

Okay, so two trades to report.

To Halifax:                        To Hell (apparently different from Halifax, who knew?)

Staal                                   Trocheck

Varlamov                           Brady Tkachuk

Mike Smith

To Putting (wherever that is):                      To Hell:

Svechnikov                                                       Seguin

Voracek                                                             Larsson

Holtby                                                                Quick

So, from the Hell Bears perspective

Staal, Svechnikov, Voracek, Varlamov & Holtby 

for

Trocheck, Seguin, Tkachuk, Larsson, Smith, & Quick

My only real hangup on this is something @hf101 mentioned to me a season or two ago and I've kind of paid attention to it since:  All the goalies are in the same conference, making them play each other more often.

The other, of course, is that I went from three healthy goalies to two healthy goalies (one of which may be injured before I'm done typing) and Quick.   If Quick comes back healthy and the Kings haven't decided to go all in on rebuild yet, I should be okay.   I think I upgraded the hell out of my offense, though.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, so two trades to report.

To Halifax:                        To Hell (apparently different from Halifax, who knew?)

Staal                                   Trocheck

Varlamov                           Brady Tkachuk

Mike Smith

To Putting (wherever that is):                      To Hell:

Svechnikov                                                       Seguin

Voracek                                                             Larsson

Holtby                                                                Quick

So, from the Hell Bears perspective

Staal, Svechnikov, Voracek, Varlamov & Holtby 

for

Trocheck, Seguin, Tkachuk, Larsson, Smith, & Quick

My only real hangup on this is something @hf101 mentioned to me a season or two ago and I've kind of paid attention to it since:  All the goalies are in the same conference, making them play each other more often.

The other, of course, is that I went from three healthy goalies to two healthy goalies (one of which may be injured before I'm done typing) and Quick.   If Quick comes back healthy and the Kings haven't decided to go all in on rebuild yet, I should be okay.   I think I upgraded the hell out of my offense, though.

I kept going back and forth between the offer Yave made and the one you made(both fair offers), and then Yave accepted an offer which took your initial offer off the table due to Voracek being involved.

But then you sent 2 more offers and that last one I accepted just looked and felt right immediately.

I hated losing Trocheck. In multicat he is one of the best players available. But I have a pretty deep forward corps and I wanted a goalie upgrade. Tkachuk I don't mind losing as much since he is a rookie and I have no idea if he will be an injury prone rookie. He plays a pretty crash and bang style like the rest of his family.............and good goddamn is he ugly

brady-tkachuk-2019-54.jpg

Archived