The "Crow or Gripe" About Your All Star Team Thread: 2018-19

pilldoc

Pick a date for the Draft  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What day works best for you for the HF.net ALL STAR FHL Draft?

• Saturday, September 29th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • I'm Flexible for any date or time

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Ferland started of really hot, but has recently gone on a 8 game cold streak... I just traded Ferland in Conn Smythe for Kreider and Parayko.

I wanted him in this league for the hits and shots more than the scoring. If he gets 20 goals it is a bonus but the dual eligibility and peripherals are what  made him worth adding. He wasn't a big piece in the deal by any means, just a third body to even out the roster a bit.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crow (And I'm gonna knock on wood for this one):

With Tuukka Rask out for personal reasons, I was forced to put him on IR and then pick up a goalie for starts this weekend.
Brian Freakin Elliot was available, took a shot, and true to form, Mr. Elliot, as bad as he can be, is also capable of some streaks of good play, and judging by how he has done so far, he was due for some good play finally.

Well, he is shutting out the Blackhawks through two periods, stopping all 21 shots he has faced.
And that is saying something because the Blackhawks, while woeful still in many areas, can still put pucks to the net.

So that said, now that I have jinxed it, Elliot will give up three quick ones in the third...  lol.
nahhhhhhhhh….like I said, Elliot is due.
I still wouldn't hang my championship hat on him (nor should the Flyers for that matter), but I think I picked him up at just the right time.

🙂

And yet MORE Crow...

I get Victor Hedman returning to the Lightning and the Green Star Blades today!

He has started out very slowly, especially for a defenseman of his caliber, but with the extended time off to heal and the team really playing well up n down the lineup, maybe he comes back very hungry to get back to being the Victor Hedman I know and love!

First up for Hedder? The Ottawa Senators.

Trade between my team and Bakinekamawa or however the hell he spells it, lol

He receives

Karlsson

Kadri

Keller

The Foil receive

Couture

Jenner

Seth Jones

Obviously the big name is Karlsson who I was reticent to deal as he has heated up, Kadri is scoring nicely after a slow start, Keller still hasn't found traction but has 30 goals written all over him.

For my team, more faceoffs from multiple position qualifiers, my team like my politics is now a bit out of balance land leaning towards the left and I may dangle one of my LW/C types for a scoring RW Jenner has the added advantage to me of being my wife/daughters new favorite man crush since Dubinsky isn't really much more than an overpaid 4th liner anymore. Jones is heating up and will hopefully offset some of the loss of offense from Karlsson.

So yeah, shopping a LW/C for a decently scoring RW with hits. Any interest HMU. I think I literally have eight guys who qualify at LW and every single one also qualifies at least one other position.

And we have a trade .......

The Ice Pigs say good bye to E. Lindholm.  It was hard to let him go, however, I need LW help.

Yave and his fellow band of Foil players will welcome Lindholm wil open arms.  In exchange, he must part with M. Domi.

Overall, this is as fair as trade as it can get.  Both players have similar numbers so far this year.  He even's out his roster and I even out mine.

Mr Domi welcome to the Ice Pigs....your 20 lbs of Brisket and Ribs awaits you! :) ....  hmmmm Bacon! :)

First, to yave and doc's trade:  I hate everyone involved.  :blowingakiss:

Also, 

Hellsbears trade Tyler Sequin to Nastygram for Carey Price.   Tyler Seguin has now been trade 3 times this season for a goaltender.

Going to put this on this league's board instead if NAHANA because I know what Pipers' advice will be. 

So, I have Trochek in both leagues. I have IR space in NAHANA, so it's not as pressing an issue there. 

In Allstars, both IR slots are filled and I additionally already have Nylander just sitting there doing nothing. Now Trochek. If things continue to progress, I should have Quick coming back in a week or two and can flip he and Trochek. 

But with the likely length of the injury and recovery and the fact it's not a keeper league, would you bother or cut bait? 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Going to put this on this league's board instead if NAHANA because I know what Pipers' advice will be. 

So, I have Trochek in both leagues. I have IR space in NAHANA, so it's not as pressing an issue there. 

In Allstars, both IR slots are filled and I additionally already have Nylander just sitting there doing nothing. Now Trochek. If things continue to progress, I should have Quick coming back in a week or two and can flip he and Trochek. 

But with the likely length of the injury and recovery and the fact it's not a keeper league, would you bother or cut bait? 

Trochek is expected to return at some point this season.  Nylander has to sign by Dec 1.  

-- I'd probably wait it out another week or so.

25 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Trochek is expected to return at some point this season.

See and that is the tricky part .... exactly how long will he be out?  From my experience, it is often a minimum of 6-8 weeks for the actual bone fracture to heal.  It could be longer depending on the severity of the break.  Then you have to account for any ligament damage.  That is addition time.  Finally, until you build up enough strength to be able to support your foot on a skate, that could be still more additional time.

Factoring all those in I would say 8-12 weeks, so a minimum of 2-3 months.  Now granted I understand he is an elite young athlete and his recovery time will probably shorter than say a non-athletic 44 yr old.

@ruxpin, the earliest I could possibly see him back would be end of January beginning February, or it could be end of February, beginning of March.  Our playoffs usually begin the 2nd/3rd  week of March.  The other question, how effective would he really be after having 2-3 months off.  I'm sure Florida would probably have him in some conditioning games at their AHL affiliate.   So realistically maybe middle of March till he skates with the Panthers.

Its a tough situation I agree and I feel for ya, but realistically, I think he is done this year from a FHL perspective.  I would probably drop him, but that is just my opinion and thought process.

Sort of OFF Topic, however, it does relate to FHL.....

For next year, should we consider increasing the number of IR+ slots from 2 to either 3 or 4.  With all the injuries I am seeing this year, a GM should not be penalized because of injuries.  Just a thought I am throwing out there.

We can discuss at length during the off season ........

43 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

See and that is the tricky part .... exactly how long will he be out?  From my experience, it is often a minimum of 6-8 weeks for the actual bone fracture to heal.  It could be longer depending on the severity of the break.  Then you have to account for any ligament damage.  That is addition time.  Finally, until you build up enough strength to be able to support your foot on a skate, that could be still more additional time.

Factoring all those in I would say 8-12 weeks, so a minimum of 2-3 months.  Now granted I understand he is an elite young athlete and his recovery time will probably shorter than say a non-athletic 44 yr old.

@ruxpin, the earliest I could possibly see him back would be end of January beginning February, or it could be end of February, beginning of March.  Our playoffs usually begin the 2nd/3rd  week of March.  The other question, how effective would he really be after having 2-3 months off.  I'm sure Florida would probably have him in some conditioning games at their AHL affiliate.   So realistically maybe middle of March till he skates with the Panthers.

Its a tough situation I agree and I feel for ya, but realistically, I think he is done this year from a FHL perspective.  I would probably drop him, but that is just my opinion and thought process.

Thank you. That was along the lines of what I was thinking but that put the time frame in better relief. 

I was thinking drop in Allstars and keep in NAHANA and punt the keeper decision until seeing what he looks like once back. It seems like the type of injury where there's the possibility that he's just never the same. Fantasy hockey aside, that would be a shame. 

8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Sort of OFF Topic, however, it does relate to FHL.....

For next year, should we consider increasing the number of IR+ slots from 2 to either 3 or 4.  With all the injuries I am seeing this year, a GM should not be penalized because of injuries.  Just a thought I am throwing out there.

We can discuss at length during the off season ........

I wouldn't be against as I could argue this either way.  The injury thing does kind of add dice rolling to the game of chess. On the other hand, it does force some hard decisions like I'm facing.  

I think Joe could use like 7 IR slots.   Are there more injuries this year than some? It seems like it. 

It's funny, because of Joe's situation I was thinking on the way home that I was pretty lucky with it. Two hours later, Trochek got injured. Good thing I don't think often, huh? 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Thank you. That was along the lines of what I was thinking but that put the time frame in better relief. 

I was thinking drop in Allstars and keep in NAHANA and punt the keeper decision until seeing what he looks like once back. It seems like the type of injury where there's the possibility that he's just never the same. Fantasy hockey aside, that would be a shame. 

Agree with your assessment.  All Stars would be a crap shoot next year anyway.  NAHANA, very tough decision.  It was sort of what I was dealing with Crawford last year.  I ended up NOT keeping simply because they had no idea when he was going to be on the ice again.  I sort of had to drop him.   Trochek is sort of in same boat.  He may come back this year, but how effective will he really be??

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I wouldn't be against as I could argue this either way.  The injury thing does kind of add dice rolling to the game of chess. On the other hand, it does force some hard decisions like I'm facing.  

I think Joe could use like 7 IR slots.   Are there more injuries this year than some? It seems like it. 

It's funny, because of Joe's situation I was thinking on the way home that I was pretty lucky with it. Two hours later, Trochek got injured. Good thing I don't think often, huh? 

Yeah poor Joe. LOL ..that is unreal.  I too see both sides of the argument.

LOL ...just ask my wife... thinking gets me in trouble a lot! LOL :) 

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Agree with your assessment.  All Stars would be a crap shoot next year anyway.  NAHANA, very tough decision.  It was sort of what I was dealing with Crawford last year.  I ended up NOT keeping simply because they had no idea when he was going to be on the ice again.  I sort of had to drop him.   Trochek is sort of in same boat.  He may come back this year, but how effective will he really be??

Yeah poor Joe. LOL ..that is unreal.  I too see both sides of the argument.

LOL ...just ask my wife... thinking gets me in trouble a lot! LOL :) 

That was in NAHANA tho :P

Yeah, Crosby, Hotlby, Klingberg, Hertl, Hischier, Aho were all injured for most of last week. At least now it is just Klingberg.

3 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Yeah, Crosby, Hotlby, Klingberg, Hertl, Hischier, Aho were all injured for most of last week. At least now it is just Klingberg.

I have Klingberg / Hertl / Aho in Conn Smythe .... I felt your pain ......  Klingberg is the one that is really killing me though ......

I dont think that @ruxpin or I posted our latest sitting around bored so why not do a deal.

Rux gets

Lindholm

Cal Peterson

The Foil add

Taylor Hall

Seabrook

Losing faceoffs which I can afford to do because I get them everywhere, added the reigning Hart winner who is off to a nice start and Seabrook who has found life again this year as a multi cat guy. Obviously Lindholm is huge for Rux especially with losing Trocheck and trading Seguin for Price he needed faceoffs. Peterson could be a solid piece, nice insurance for him depending upon how long Quick is going to be out.

I have three guys out (Buff, Arvidsson, Ferland) all too good to cut, hate playing a man down willing to trade one of the three along with either Jake or Carter in a two for one for roster flexibility to a team that has an open IR slot and can wait on the player to come back.

@pilldoc
You and I are matched up this week.  GL to you..
But you know, I looked at your lineup, and for a second, I thought you FORGOT to set it....but upon closer inspection, it's just your lineup is extremely lopsided!!

Dude....buy a vowel...or a defenseman or two.... lol
I might have some I can sell you......

Jeebus….very forward heavy.
Start swinging some deals my friend...you have some guys there some GM's maybe willing to give you a nice defenseman or two for!

Anyways, you and I...mano a mano…….  Blades vs Pigs......

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@pilldoc
You and I are matched up this week.  GL to you..
But you know, I looked at your lineup, and for a second, I thought you FORGOT to set it....but upon closer inspection, it's just your lineup is extremely lopsided!!

Dude....buy a vowel...or a defenseman or two.... lol
I might have some I can sell you......

Jeebus….very forward heavy.
Start swinging some deals my friend...you have some guys there some GM's maybe willing to give you a nice defenseman or two for!

Anyways, you and I...mano a mano…….  Blades vs Pigs......

Oh I know .... things just did not pan out the way I wanted this year.  I suspect you should beat me very easily this week .....I can't do much when both Barrie and Klingberg go on IR.  I don't want to drop other players whom I know will be scooped up in a minutes by some of the sharks we deal with. (That is a compliment to my fellow mates!).  So I am trying to stay above water by stacking up goalies and other positions until they get healthy again.   Not what I wanted...trust me.  At least I am in 3rd place in Conn Smythe.

Good Luck to you!

~doc

• 2 weeks later...

An actual trade in Allstars. 

To Putting on the Foil:

Mike Quick

Luke Glendening

To Hellbears:

Devan Dubnyk

Yave was savvy getting Glendening in this. I'm probably underrating what that does to my FWs. I'm still okay there, though.  I'm little more concerned with peripherals because between Glendening and Carrier, my team was hitting the crap out of everything. 

With Hellebuyck, Price, and Dubnyk I like my goaltending. 

Archived