The "Crow or Gripe" About Your All Star Team Thread: 2018-19

pilldoc

Pick a date for the Draft  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What day works best for you for the HF.net ALL STAR FHL Draft?

• Saturday, September 29th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • I'm Flexible for any date or time

This poll is closed to new votes

Team Gripe:
+/- stat.

I am a flipping -24 as the week comes to a close, dammit!!

I know some of you are like, "Oh well, I don't care bout that"...and indeed, some GM's do very well on the week despite having an abysmal +/-.
But still, I PRIDE my team on having a good +/- (I HATE giving back goals...just hate it!), and I usually sport a decent to very good +/-, and in fact, my drafting/pickup even trade strategies have players with good, or potentially good, +/- factored in.

Coming into this week, my team was a +34 overall on the season.
Safe to say, THAT will be taking a big time hit after this week's +/- clown show!

Oh...but I AM winning my match up this week 10-5 so far..... so you guys are probably chuckling about my griping when I am winning, but still... MINUS 24 LOOKS SO DAMNED UGLY!!!! :shifty:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By a strange fluke as set down by the Hockey gods, I played @J0e Th0rnton in both leagues this week, beat him 9-5 in a tough match in Nahana and in here...…

J0e took off and ran and hid from the league early in the season, man is he tough to play against in about every category. His goaltending seems to have let him down a bit lately and he has come back a bit towards the pack, I have climbed to within 9 points, he absolutely crushed me early in the week and it looked as if he were going to beat me easily but somehow I managed to climb back and tie him 9-9 on the last game of the night with a win from Mrazek over Edmonton. His team is probably my number one rival, I consider it a moral victory to come out with a 9-9 tie.....

Latest trade:

To Hell:  Landeskog & Tatar

To the Amish:  Monahan & Dubnyk

This may actually be tilted a bit to him, but I'm happy with it.  I already was center-heavy, but with Trochek's return I had way too many and only had two left wingers.  This adds two leftwing-eligible players and Tatar gives me some more depth on RW. 

Dubnyk is a quality fantasy play, who I've never particularly liked. This season I've gone from a strong trio to depending on Howard and Markstrom and hoping a kid continues to play well on a team that's struggled. 

He gets a quality starting goalie and a high level 1C on a first place team. 

I'm happy with it. 

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Latest trade:

To Hell:  Landeskog & Tatar

To the Amish:  Monahan & Dubnyk

This may actually be tilted a bit to him, but I'm happy with it.  I already was center-heavy, but with Trochek's return I had way too many and only had two left wingers.  This adds two leftwing-eligible players and Tatar gives me some more depth on RW. 

Dubnyk is a quality fantasy play, who I've never particularly liked. This season I've gone from a strong trio to depending on Howard and Markstrom and hoping a kid continues to play well on a team that's struggled. 

He gets a quality starting goalie and a high level 1C on a first place team. 

I'm happy with it. 

Upon first glance, I would say AKOF got the better end of this deal here.
And why wouldn't I?
I've always thought very highly of Sean Monahan even when the Flames were still stumbling and bumbling their way through the league....but especially now that his team is riding high and looking like a real deal threat to go deep in the playoffs.

And he is a big reason why.

Then you have Devan Dubnyk...ol reliable....who can aggravate you with his sometimes inconsistent play, but then make you glad  he is on your squad when he pulls off fantastic performances and puts up the numbers to warrant his place on anyone's team.

However, upon closer inspection, and after looking at what the actual rosters would look like after this deal, I say, this truly does look like a fair deal.
I would have always put Sean Monahan head n shoulders above Gabriel Landeskog, but that was better suited for seasons past.

Landeskog has 'come of age' as a player and his numbers rival Monahan's quite nicely, and while Sean still has a slight edge in most production categories, Gabriel's aren't really that far behind, PLUS, he does hit other CATS quite nicely that Monahan does not....things like Hits, Blocks, and PIMs....and Landeskog's face off game, despite playing wing, has improved tremendously and contributes decently enough there too.

Thomas Tatar may just be having a good season, maybe even playing above his head on a Montreal team that likely is playing above their heads as a group, but bottom line is, he still makes a nice secondary complimentary piece, as was mentioned already, the Hell Bears  are NOT hurting at Center even with the departure of Monahan, and the inclusion of Landeskog and Tatar provides much better flexibility.

AKOF adds Monahan to a stable of centers that includes Matt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Nik Backstrom, and of course, Connor McDavid...and his wings, even losing Landeskog, are STILL nicely stocked with Benn, Dadanov, Pastrnak, and Mark Stone.

While Dubnyk joins King Henrik and MAF giving him three legit regular starters...and he no longer has to rely on streaming goalies like Saaros out of necessity, but rather, can do so now only if he WANTS extra goalie stats.

The Bears are taking a chance thinning their goalie ranks, but right now, Markstrom and Binnington's numbers and starts are about where Dubnyk's are....so if they can manage to avoid injury disaster there and maybe make some smart streaming moves, that can be managed while the benefits of having Monahan and Tatar are reaped.

Very nice deal for both with a slightly more risky take for the Bears.

Latest trade between myself and @TropicalFruitGirl26

TFG adds Carey Price who has had a very solid bordering on fantastic season.

The Foil receive Leon Draisatl and Dustin Brown. Draisatl has been a monster and Brown is serviceable.

My offense needed a boost, I am on a high wire with my goaltending with Martin Jones who has been awful but somehow is still second in theleague in wins, Quick who has three good games followed by one really really awful one and Mrazek who has not really been awful but not good either. I need Quick and Jones to play like they did several years ago. 

Kessel now on the block for a big goalie, Gallagher for a lesser but decent netminder.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Latest trade between myself and @TropicalFruitGirl26

TFG adds Carey Price who has had a very solid bordering on fantastic season.

The Foil receive Leon Draisatl and Dustin Brown. Draisatl has been a monster and Brown is serviceable.

My offense needed a boost, I am on a high wire with my goaltending with Martin Jones who has been awful but somehow is still second in theleague in wins, Quick who has three good games followed by one really really awful one and Mrazek who has not really been awful but not good either. I need Quick and Jones to play like they did several years ago. 

Kessel now on the block for a big goalie, Gallagher for a lesser but decent netminder.

Gambit time here for the Blades.

I am riding high, making a run at Joe, with you and Rux on my heels, and I part with big time offense for big time goaltending.
And because Rask is down for a bit, Price becomes that much more important.

Bruins say Rask isn't done for the year, and he COULD be back as soon as the break and the Bruin bye week is done...in which case I end up with Rask, Price, and this dude named Robin Lehner who has been outstanding under Barry Trotz' defensive system, as his Islanders propel themselves upward in the Metro.

Collin Delia is doing alright as a rookie netminder, albeit his wins can be hard to come by due to the Blackhawks being the Blackhawks, but he looks like he is still favored over veteran Cam Ward in the crease in Chicago.

Giving up Draisaitl was NOT on my mind when dealing with Yave, however, I still feel my crop of forwards is strong enough to still provide good offense, and there are still lesser players available as well that can , as a group, sort of make up for Draisaitl's production.

Dustin Brown, usually a good mult cat guy, was always a favorite of Yaves and it ensured that, between he and Draisaitl, Price makes his way over to my team. :)

So yea, taking a chance here, hoping Price doesn't revert to "Disgruntled Price", but then, Yave may be taking a chance giving up what usually is a solid netminder and relying on the Jekyll and Hyde Quick and Jones....you decide which is which... :biggrin:

It has been a very trying year so far with my team the Ice Pigs. What looked to be a decent team at the start of the season has been nothing but heartaches and frustration. With only a few weeks to go I had to make some moves. So in the middle of the night during the NHL All Star follies/Ice Capades, the Ice Pigs made two (2) trades.

#1) with @ruxpin "Hell Bears":

• To the Ice Pigs ---> Tavares (C) / Soderberg (C) / J. Johnson (D)
  • To the Hell Bears ---> Dubois (C/LW)  / Horvat (C)  / Chychrun (D)

This was a deal that was several days in the making.. As @yave1964 astutely pointed out, I was able to deal with my strength of FOW.  I take a slight ding in G/A/FOW, however I added a blue chip player in Tavares AND I dramatically increased my peripherals of Hits/BS which I was desperately lacking. Rux obvious gets the FOW monster known as Horvat.

#2) with @yave1964 "Putting on the Foil":

• To the Ice Pigs ---> Couture (C/LW)  / D. Brown  (RW) / R. Pulock (D)
  • To Putting on the Foil ---> M. Domi (C/LW) / J. Klingberg (D)

Again another deal that was in the works for the past couple of days.  Again I filled some glaring deficiencies such as Hits / BS and SOG.

When it is all said and done, based solely on "projected" stats for the rest of the season, I get a small bump in G/A/SOG and a big bump in Hits/BS which I desperately need to address.  I do take a hit in FOW/PIM, but then again I was able to deal with my strength of FOW and should not hurt me too much.  PPP remain about even.

I was able to do this with out giving up Andersen (G) or Marner (C/RW).   So as they say...out with the old and in with the new.

Out:  Dubois (C/LW)  / Horvat (C)  / Chychrun (D) / M. Domi (C/LW) / J. Klingberg (D)

IN:  Tavares (C) / Soderberg (C) / J. Johnson (D) /  Couture (C/LW)  / D. Brown  (RW) / R. Pulock (D)

We will see how this all shakes out ......

Thank you gentleman for good trading/negotiating ...good luck for the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

#1) with @ruxpin "Hell Bears":

• To the Ice Pigs ---> Tavares (C) / Soderberg (C) / J. Johnson (D)
  • To the Hell Bears ---> Dubois (C/LW)  / Horvat (C)  / Chychrun (D

Ask me at the end of the season how I feel about this trade.   I'm not at all thrilled with it, but we'll see.

If anyone wants Chychrun, watch the waiver wire.

@ pildoc

Nice refit of your assets, you were getting killed in Shots/blocks most of the year that should be a win for you most weeks the rest of the year and you got the best player in both trades. Solid dealing.

I wanted Domi back for his multi cat and multi position stuff he does, with recent moves my defense was pedestrian, I have a lot of eggs in the Dallas bakset with new additions Benn and Klingberg and I am hoping for a strong finish from both.

So my team in the last week or so has:

ADDED Backstrom, Domi, Klingberg, Benn, Draisatl, Jones, Gallagher

SUBRACTED Kessel, Doughty, Couture, Price, Hall, Parise, Holtby

Obviously weaker in net, I believe I am a lot stronger most everywhere else, but time will tell.

So, a little bit of a crow, but only because I don't think it's ever happened for me before. 

I came into today trailing in both Allstars and NAHANA.  In NAHANA I was down by a bit after having led into Friday and then was down by alot. 

@yave1964and I had traded leads but I think I'd been up by a small margin while no one was playing.

Anyway, I came into today losing by multiple points in both leagues and pulled both off by one.  7-6 and 8-7.

I'll take it. 

I don't think I've ever come back in both leagues on Sunday. 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, a little bit of a crow, but only because I don't think it's ever happened for me before. 

I came into today trailing in both Allstars and NAHANA.  In NAHANA I was down by a bit after having led into Friday and then was down by alot. 

@yave1964and I had traded leads but I think I'd been up by a small margin while no one was playing.

Anyway, I came into today losing by multiple points in both leagues and pulled both off by one.  7-6 and 8-7.

I'll take it. 

I don't think I've ever come back in both leagues on Sunday. 

Must be that Carter Hart and Flyer magic rubbing off on you about now... :bigteeth:

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Must be that Carter Hart and Flyer magic rubbing off on you about now... :bigteeth:

Especially in NAHANA. 

Maddog was blowing me out. I was kind of pleased I'd gotten it to not ridiculous (2-12 to 5-8). I'd walked away from it thinking quite a few things had to go exactly right. And since I have Draisaitl in NAHAHA and my opponent had him going in Allstars, I figured help in one league was going to kill me in the other. 

Color me stunned. 

Well, I've got a bit of "crow" myself....
My charge to the top of the standings continued this week.

Floundered a bit near the bottom of the playoff bracket earlier in the season, started making steady headway upwards, then picked up some real steam.....and I got reeeeal close to @J0e Th0rnton 's SharkthamaticoSprongs….only to see him pull off a big week himself and pull away again as I approach him with the ball peen hammer! :bigteeth:

Well, still plenty of time to catch ol Joe...but errrr, @ruxpin, you and @yave1964 need to leave me alone and stop nipping at my heels...ya hear!!??  :biggrin:

19 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, I've got a bit of "crow" myself....
My charge to the top of the standings continued this week.

Floundered a bit near the bottom of the playoff bracket earlier in the season, started making steady headway upwards, then picked up some real steam.....and I got reeeeal close to @J0e Th0rnton 's SharkthamaticoSprongs….only to see him pull off a big week himself and pull away again as I approach him with the ball peen hammer! :bigteeth:

Well, still plenty of time to catch ol Joe...but errrr, @ruxpin, you and @yave1964 need to leave me alone and stop nipping at my heels...ya hear!!??  :biggrin:

I've been ahead of you midweek (which doesn't count), but I can't hold it. 

I just snuck into 3rd by, I think, a point. But I'll take it. 

The NAHANA standings seem to be getting a bit baked in, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a crow.....

5 weeks ago I was in dead last place going no where fast..... fast forward 5 weeks later (and 2 trades later) and now I sit in 8th place with a slight chance of moving up to 7th in the playoff seedings.  I end the season with Lady's team this week and TFG next week.

What a fun season! :)

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I finally have a crow.....

5 weeks ago I was in dead last place going no where fast..... fast forward 5 weeks later (and 2 trades later) and now I sit in 8th place with a slight chance of moving up to 7th in the playoff seedings.  I end the season with Lady's team this week and TFG next week.

What a fun season! :)

Nice Doc.

And the way the standings are shaking out, you and I COULD possibly end up as 1st round opppnents.
I dropped a place this week due to Yave moving just ahead of me into 2nd place and @JR Ewing 's team winning pretty decisively over mine this week (congrats to him....just goes to show you, on any given week).

His skaters just poured on the assists and his goaltending (Matt Murray) was just ridiculously good.

But four of us have clinched playoff spots already...Myself, @J0e Th0rnton, @yave1964, and @ruxpin .

Now comes the nuts n bolts of things...playoff teams trying to tighten things up for a good run, bubble teams trying to secure...and NO ONE wants to be relegated next season!  :)

14 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Nice Doc.

And the way the standings are shaking out, you and I COULD possibly end up as 1st round opppnents.
I dropped a place this week due to Yave moving just ahead of me into 2nd place and @JR Ewing 's team winning pretty decisively over mine this week (congrats to him....just goes to show you, on any given week).

His skaters just poured on the assists and his goaltending (Matt Murray) was just ridiculously good.

But four of us have clinched playoff spots already...Myself, @J0e Th0rnton, @yave1964, and @ruxpin .

Now comes the nuts n bolts of things...playoff teams trying to tighten things up for a good run, bubble teams trying to secure...and NO ONE wants to be relegated next season!  :)

I’m trying to become that team that no one wants to face in the 1st round. 

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Heh...
Looking at your roster, you have just about EVERY Leaf fans' wet dream... John Tavares, Steve Stamkos, Mitch Marner and Thomas Chabot (I don't care WHAT Leaf fans say...they WANT Chabot!!  :bigteeth: ) ALL on the same team!

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Heh...
Looking at your roster, you have just about EVERY Leaf fans' wet dream... John Tavares, Steve Stamkos, Mitch Marner and Thomas Chabot (I don't care WHAT Leaf fans say...they WANT Chabot!!  :bigteeth: ) ALL on the same team!

Tavares came compliments via a trade with @ruxpin :VeryCool:

54 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Rux and I were both casting a weary eye at your team two or three days ago.  Great job on getting back into the race. 

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Rux and I were both casting a weary eye at your team two or three days ago.  Great job on getting back into the race. 

I'll translate for ya, @pilldoc :

The vultures were circling, starting to zero in, landed, approached your "carcass"...only to fly off when they realized you weren't quite dead... :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'll translate for ya, @pilldoc :

The vultures were circling, starting to zero in, landed, approached your "carcass"...only to fly off when they realized you weren't quite dead... :ph34r:

That sounds about right lol.  Actually he traded with both of us and caught 👆 

Archived