Run for the Cup?

notfondajane

• 1 month later...

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing the Penguins fall on their beaks, I don't see any reason to discount Pittsburgh this year.

I mean, sure, there is much more competition for the top of the East than there has ever been in quite some time (Washington, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Boston....maybe even a sneaky darkhorse like the Jackets and Devils), but the Penguins STILL have quite the top six to work with...plus a guy in Derrick Brassard as your 3C, and he likely is a 2C elsewhere.

The Penguin defense, to me, actually looks pretty good too.
Jack Johnson is a nice add that I was hoping the Minnesota Wild would sign.....tough playing D-man who usually won't cough up the puck with lots of NHL experience.

And some combination of perhaps Oleksiak, Schultz, and Maatta as your bottom pair?
Maybe some of those guys make 2nd pairing guys on other clubs.

And if Matt Murray can return to form and Tristan Jarry plays like he showed he could in flashes last season, then Pittsburgh is set in goal as well.

Point being, while the Pens are no longer any kind of lock to win anything this year like perhaps they were before, they still do ice a good enough team to give themselves a shot.

In fact, I believe the Pens will do well enough this year that I actually invested in a couple of your players for my fantasy teams....I almost never invest in Pens players because usually the top tier guys are taken right away and I am left to guess who will step up for Pittsburgh after that.
Well, this year, I have Patric Hornqvist and Matt Murray because I think Patric will do what he always does (score and agitate with the best of them), while I think Murray is due for a rebound season if he can stay healthy and keep a clear head during the season.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing the Penguins fall on their beaks, I don't see any reason to discount Pittsburgh this year.

I mean, sure, there is much more competition for the top of the East than there has ever been in quite some time (Washington, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Boston....maybe even a sneaky darkhorse like the Jackets and Devils), but the Penguins STILL have quite the top six to work with...plus a guy in Derrick Brassard as your 3C, and he likely is a 2C elsewhere.

The Penguin defense, to me, actually looks pretty good too.
Jack Johnson is a nice add that I was hoping the Minnesota Wild would sign.....tough playing D-man who usually won't cough up the puck with lots of NHL experience.

And some combination of perhaps Oleksiak, Schultz, and Maatta as your bottom pair?
Maybe some of those guys make 2nd pairing guys on other clubs.

And if Matt Murray can return to form and Tristan Jarry plays like he showed he could in flashes last season, then Pittsburgh is set in goal as well.

Point being, while the Pens are no longer any kind of lock to win anything this year like perhaps they were before, they still do ice a good enough team to give themselves a shot.

In fact, I believe the Pens will do well enough this year that I actually invested in a couple of your players for my fantasy teams....I almost never invest in Pens players because usually the top tier guys are taken right away and I am left to guess who will step up for Pittsburgh after that.
Well, this year, I have Patric Hornqvist and Matt Murray because I think Patric will do what he always does (score and agitate with the best of them), while I think Murray is due for a rebound season if he can stay healthy and keep a clear head during the season.

I will agree with you on Matt Murray! I also hoping Jarry is a little more consistent. 

I hoping the injury bug doesnt hit has hard.

11 goals in 2 games! I'm hoping Matt Murray hasn't caught the Marc Andre Fleury syndrom. I heard the defense isnt playing well. Then again Matt isn't making the big save to cover up any mistakes they made. Just like MAF. If the defense and Matt Murray don't get their act together it is going to be a long season.

Archived