It is Playoffs or Bust for the Iowa Wild in 2018-19

CreaseAndAssist

Good article.

I think the key to Iowa's success is for the Minnesota Wild to leave the Iowa Wild alone. The Wild have had a bad habit of pulling players from Iowa up and down at a whim or "to give them a taste of the NHL". Partially this is a function of the parent's club poor cap management, but the "to give them a taste" nonsense? What do they think pre-season is for?

For once it would be nice to see a player that dominated at the AHL level be given a call up, rather than give a guy a roster spot because he was a #1 draft pick...

15 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Good article.

I think the key to Iowa's success is for the Minnesota Wild to leave the Iowa Wild alone. The Wild have had a bad habit of pulling players from Iowa up and down at a whim or "to give them a taste of the NHL". Partially this is a function of the parent's club poor cap management, but the "to give them a taste" nonsense? What do they think pre-season is for?

For once it would be nice to see a player that dominated at the AHL level be given a call up, rather than give a guy a roster spot because he was a #1 draft pick...

Kunin vs. Anas shade...I like it, and a great point!  

The Wild could end up in the playoffs but everything depends on key players staying healthy along with fringe players making a big impact.

The nucleus of the team needs to find a way to score more on their own without relying on others to keep compromising their own ice time.

^ What's that mean? It's very simple. Often the Wild have preached younger players need to step up. They've also preached young guys coming up from the AHL need to 'play their game' when they do get up to the big club. In my opinion all those younger players getting called up don't 'play their game' because they're working too hard trying to appease the big dogs on the team by not only doing all the hard work and legwork for them, but also trying too hard to feed them the puck. They need to eliminate hesitation. They need to stop thinking about what to do with the puck and start reacting naturally.

Something in the back of my head tells me this team is loaded with players who say, "Just give us the puck and we'll do all the scoring" after they score their first NHL goal. Watch for it - because it's there. These call-ups often score in their first game or two, then fall off the stage and disappear... Upon making many stupid, all too conscious decisions pulling back (hesitating) and giving some self absorbed veteran the puck who literally crap on their parade by not pulling the trigger themselves because they don't have it in them. 

If the veteran players can't create their own opportunities to score then piss on them. Make them be accountable for their own play and stop pressuring others so they can 'play their own game' rather than bowing to them. React, react, react and stop thinking so damn much.

The NHL Wild need to realize the AHL Wild players aren't capable of saving them.

28 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Kunin vs. Anas shade...I like it, and a great point!  

Kunin was called up after 36 games, where he totalled 13 points. During those same 36 games, Sam Anas had totalled 28 points.

Enjoyed the article!  IMO, they currently are 8 deep for the top 9 forward positions.   I was somewhat impressed with Salituro at dev. camp.

Light in the shorts, but showed a willingness to attack the D with a good burst entering the zone.  That said, I'd be surprised if they don't add another AHL caliber scoring forward. 

I was a bit surprised with the thought that two RHD (Menell and Belpedio) would possibly be paired.   But the depth chart has swung to the right a bit on D, so it could happen.   Speaking of right D, the Wild brass talked up Bouranmann quite a lot during dev. camp.   That's 5 RHD vying for PT in Iowa.

31 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Enjoyed the article!  IMO, they currently are 8 deep for the top 9 forward positions.   I was somewhat impressed with Salituro at dev. camp.

Light in the shorts, but showed a willingness to attack the D with a good burst entering the zone.  That said, I'd be surprised if they don't add another AHL caliber scoring forward. 

I was a bit surprised with the thought that two RHD (Menell and Belpedio) would possibly be paired.   But the depth chart has swung to the right a bit on D, so it could happen.   Speaking of right D, the Wild brass talked up Bouranmann quite a lot during dev. camp.   That's 5 RHD vying for PT in Iowa.

The Wild may have talked him up, but I saw a few horrific turnovers by Bouramman at camp.  I soured on him in his last season in junior where he did little.  They certainly have over compensated a bit with right handed defenseman.  Salituro looked good at development camp, but that camp was made of mostly college and junior league players.  IMO, he should look good.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Wild may have talked him up, but I saw a few horrific turnovers by Bouramman at camp.  I soured on him in his last season in junior where he did little.  They certainly have over compensated a bit with right handed defenseman.  Salituro looked good at development camp, but that camp was made of mostly college and junior league players.  IMO, he should look good.  

What the hell is it with the Wild and Swedish defenseman lately? They trying to corner the market?

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The question for me  then remains.    Since he looked good against college and Junior players, does that translate to 3rd line AHL quality?   I think he has the hands and quickness.  Obviously he's undersized.  Have no idea whether he has the heart to compensate.

As for Bouramman, turnovers seem to be his M O.  Bomber suggested that he came to dev. camp with a completely different mindset.   We shall see.  

6 minutes ago, 4Check said:

The question for me  then remains.    Since he looked good against college and Junior players, does that translate to 3rd line AHL quality?   I think he has the hands and quickness.  Obviously he's undersized.  Have no idea whether he has the heart to compensate.

As for Bouramman, turnovers seem to be his M O.  Bomber suggested that he came to dev. camp with a completely different mindset.   We shall see.  

I wouldn't get too excited over Bouramman. He was a seventh round draft pick.

54 minutes ago, 4Check said:

He didn't exactly dominate at Rapid City last year.  

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I wouldn't get too excited over Bouramman. He was a seventh round draft pick.

Truth be told, i 'm not excited about anyone likely slated for Iowa.  Curious about Sokolov, hopeful for Kunin, Belpedio and Soucy.

8 hours ago, 4Check said:

Truth be told, i 'm not excited about anyone likely slated for Iowa.  Curious about Sokolov, hopeful for Kunin, Belpedio and Soucy.

I am not sure any player excites me out of this group, but I am hopeful for them to finally make the playoffs.  They need to; for their own confidence and for the organization.  I'm more curious to see how Sokolov does; to see if the scoring touch continues.  I am also hoping Anas, Kloos and Rau have another solid season.  

On 8/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Iowa Wild, Playoffs or Bust in 2018-19

Some thoughts on the upcoming season for the Iowa Wild.  How I think their roster will look and other thoughts.  Enjoy and discuss!

Thanks LIG. Good article. Hope,  with the current roster,  the Iowa Wild team finally will be able to reach playoffs this season. Agree, no excuse any more.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks LIG. Good article. Hope,  with the current roster,  the Iowa Wild team finally will be able to reach playoffs this season. Agree, no excuse any more.

Thanks, I try.  IMO, the organization can't afford anymore excuses.  The extra development time from the AHL playoffs is a must.  It'd be nice to be able to fill out holes in the bottom 6 from players drafted and developed on the farm.  It is great for cost savings and also helps build a culture instead of always having to go the free agency route.  

Patience needs to endure for the Iowa Wild but with the big club sputtering along looking for someone to throw under the bus, rather than holding themselves accountable from game to game when half their roster coasts for 20 minutes a game I think it's unlikely Iowa will gain much with constant call-ups hindering their necessary development.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:23 PM, rottenrefs said:

Patience needs to endure for the Iowa Wild but with the big club sputtering along looking for someone to throw under the bus, rather than holding themselves accountable from game to game when half their roster coasts for 20 minutes a game I think it's unlikely Iowa will gain much with constant call-ups hindering their necessary development.

You could very well be correct.  Or injuries in Iowa may hurt this team as there is barely enough depth to fill out their roster.  Some of the borderline guys like Chase Lang, Pavel Jenys, Dante Salituro who spent part of the season in the ECHL between little stints with Iowa are really about all the extra guys they had.  Iowa is now affiliated with the Allen (TX) Americans of the ECHL.  There is no big guy to call up as we let Kurtis Gabriel go (not that its a big loss).  Carson Soucy might be a fill in, but less likely with Olofsson still on a one-way deal.    

Archived