Explanation of the Wings’ FA Signings: Z

SpikeDDS

It is becoming more apparent to the public that Henrik Zetterberg may be finished as a hockey player. That he was struggling as much with his back without the public really knowing how bad it was is both a testament to how well he has learned to play with pain and to the ability of the franchise to keep his struggles mostly on the down-low.

But now that we DO know, it makes the re-signing of Vanek and Green more understandable. Even though I liked both signings before, this new information makes those decisions even more correct. If we are to lose Z’s services, it is a big blow as far as leadership is concerned.

His loss—if he IS unable to play—almost certainly guarantees that Zadina will start the season wearing the Winged Wheel. The bad news is that we would have liked Zadina to witness Zetterberg’s persistence and calm despite his pain and partial disability. To experience watching the work ethic of a superstar as well as pick his brain, even if only for a season.

Rather than learn from Z, instead Vanek and Nielsen will need to teach him how to go about being a pro at this level. He will need to learn to incorporate two-way play and add defensive-mindedness to his obviously well-equipped offensive skill set. I have always liked the re-acquisition of Vanek to encourage him to hone his offensive scoring skills, and add more playmaking. Nielsen will need to teach him defensive responsibility. Z could have done both, but maybe not be able.

I wonder if this may also open the door for Veleno? Maybe not day one, but if Z is out, it leaves an awfully big hole to fill offensively.

Defensively, the Green signing—even with his question marks—makes sense too. Without Z and without Green, our D would be even more shaky than it is. If Z does go, it is going to be a tough go this season on the defensive side of the puck. Z helped a lot from the front end in an area that we have obvious deficiency. I don’t know that our top talent from the draft solves the problem though.

Bottom line: if Z is finished, this signals that our rebuild will be in full swing by necessity, and it will be the end of an era. The Wings will new to put every effort forth to train their young talent to compete.

@SpikeDDS

Veleno has to make the team and stick or be returned to Juniors. I am absolutely not against him sticking in a 3C role if he looks up for the task which would take the pressure off him but truthfully the odds are long.

The thing is, even without Zetterberg we aren't terrible at center, we could field:

Larkin quite capable as a 1C

Nielsen prefer a 3C role but very sound two way player with some offense

Helm Played wing most of last season but would be an okay 3C

Glendening a perfect 4C, not much upside but efficient within his role.

Turgeon Probably slated for GR but the first callup, his offense started to catch up a bit to his defense last season.

Rassmussen has played center in juniors but the Wings would prefer to bring him along in a less demanding position and may prefer to break him in on the wing but needs must, as the saying goes, if he slots as the 2C it bumps Nielsen down and Helm back to the wing and al is right with the world. Athanasiou is another of those guys who came up as a center and was moved outside, he may even slot inside if needed.

So lots of options. I agree with a certain amount of prescience on Hollands part with both our signings and drafting as well. I would love to see Z play another year or two but camp is around the corner, LTIR would be a godsend for the cap going forward as the team finally begins to dig out over the next year or two from some of those awful term contracts.  

@SpikeDDS

If Z is done, who becomes captain?

I could see the case for an old guy like Kronner or Green but my vote would be the fiery Larkin who plays with a fire and passion that has been missing for a long time at the top.

@yave1964

I would be perfectly comfortable with Larkin wearing the C.

As an homage to his years of service, Kronner could be co-captain in his last season to take some of the responsibilities off of Larkin his first season as captain. No one has mentioned this idea, but I think it would be good. Good for BOTH of them. Larkin’s so likely to eventually wear it, I don’t see a big deal with getting that started.

IF Z is out. 

Archived