Who wins the Metro (two polls)

yave1964

who wins the metropolitan and how many teams make the playoffs from the division?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How many teams make the playoffs from the Metro?

2. 2. What team wins the Metropolitan in 2018-19?

• Devils
    • Hurricanes
    • Bluejackets
    • Penguins
    • Capitals
    • Rangers
    • Flyers
    • Islanders

So who wins the Metro next season? I have them ranked in order of how I see them finishing with pros and cons for each team.

1) Penguins PRO Managed to return core hoping to continue run. CON showed signs of aging last year, Murray cannot stay healthy

2) Capitals PRO Champs return every key piece except backup goalie. CON Cup hangover possible after long run.

3) Flyers PRO Forward depth addressed with JVR, seasoned Patrick. CON Godawful goaltending. Not even average-awful drags down very good team.

4) Rangers PRO retool has went seamless, good mix of kids/vets. CON Lundqvist aging concerns as well as worry of time it takes to gel.

5) Bluejackets PRO Bought into system Bob and Panarin playing for contracts. CON Both may be dealt if they falter, little help in the minors.

6) Devils PRO Made the playoffs in surprise season, Hall found another gear. CON too many vets left with no replacements, unsteady goaltending.

7) Hurricanes PRO Svechnikov Hamilton brought in to bolster offense. CON Those were mostly sideways moves losing Hanifin and Skinner. Oh and the worst goaltending duo possibly in hockey in Darling/Mrazek.

8 Islanders PRO Barzal established as a stud, lots of hard working vets playing with a chip on shoulder. CON Lost face of franchise Tavares.

I chose five teams from the division and yes, I do have the Rangers nipping at the heels of the Flyers for third place. 

I have heard a lot of pundits saying the Metro is a down division this year and I laugh and shake my head, the last three Champions have come from here, the Caps and Pens are still Hockey royalty, the Flyers are stacked everywhere save for in net and have cap room, the Rags have rebuilt/retooled and have some strong kid prospects everywhere, the Jackets are built tough, the Devils found life last year, the Canes and Isles are the weak sisters but frankly aren't that bad. 

So I have five teams making the playoffs with the Jackets and Rangers narrowly beating out the Bruins for the 7 and 8 spots. leaving three teams coming out of the Atlantic. I do not have the conference title winner coming out of the Metro, I think Tampa wins that this year.

I have no way of ranking this division. If you look from last season to this, the Penguins got actively worse by trading away Sheary and adding Johnson; The Caps were down last year despite finally winning the Cup, doubled down and brought the whole team back a year older; The Flyers should improve through subtraction but goaltending is still an issue; I'm not sure what direction the Canes are going; I believe Jersey overperformed last season, but if Schneider returns to form they'll be in the mix even if the skaters drop off; Columbus is solid but unspectacular; about all I am sure of is that the Isles and Rangers won't sniff the playoffs.

Archived