Carter Hart Expectations for the 2018-19 Season

hf101

What are your Carter Hart expectations in 2018-19?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will Carter Hart play for the Flyers this season?

• None - Hart will play the entire season in the AHL.
    • None - Even if called up on the Flyers he most likely won't get a start.
    • Less than 10 games.
    • Hart will make the Flyers roster and play more than 10 games.
    • Hart will be the starting goaltender for the Flyers 2019 Playoffs.

This poll is closed to new votes

Image result for carter hart flyers jersey

Carter Hart will wear # 31 for the Phantoms and # 79 for the Flyers as announced today which got me thinking of our expectations for him this season.  According to the Hextall mindset, no player is given a roster spot on the Flyers unless they earn it by replacing a veteran.  Replacing either one of our goaltenders Elliot or Neuvirth can't be that challenging.  He also highly prefers time to be earned in the AHL as the recommended path, but we've seen recent exceptions with our highly skilled defensemen, Ivan Provorov, and our talented center, Nolan Patrick as making the Flyers in their rookie seasons.  So where are your realistic expectations for Carter Hart this season? From what we've seen he is as talented in net as Provorov is as a d-man and Patrick is at center.  Does he really need a full year or more in the AHL?

Do you think he might earn a roster spot in Training Camp?

Does he play any games with the Flyers this season?  If so, how many?

What makes this all even more interesting is his ice-time.  I would think Hextall would want him starting as many games as possible next season.  I'm not sure that being a back-up to Alex Lyon in the Phantoms provides any advantage to him just directly backing up Elliot with the Flyers.  Some interesting decisions are ahead during the pre-season - Can't wait!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great question and topic @hf101! :)

As much as I would love to see Hart in Philly this year, I just have to believe that Hexy will let him get the experience he needs at this level with at least 1 year with the Phantoms.  He'll compete in camp, but is likely to start the season in the AHL. After all, Hart is considered one of the top goalie prospects in the world. Now I am not ruling out a call-up due to injury.  That very well could happen.  After all Neuvy is good for at least missing 20+ games for various innocuous acts. 

However, next summer around this time, I think we will all be asking, will Hart be the #1 starter.

I’ve probably seen Hart more than anyone else on this board being in portland.  He is the most talented goalie on any level of the flyers.  He is unreal. I absolutely love him. I caught myself rooting for him to make the save against the winter hawks. Could he start for the Flyers...yes

now realistically....Hexy is going to let him simmer. Wouldn’t be shocked if he gets called up later in the year though.

let him work his game in the ahl and if he is lights out....bring him up and lets start making runs at the cup 

i cant wait till he is in the flyer net full time! 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I would think Hextall would want him starting as many games as possible next season.

This is why he will be a Phantom next year.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I'm not sure that being a back-up to Alex Lyon in the Phantoms provides any advantage to him just directly backing up Elliot with the Flyers.

I can see it stating this way next year but by mid season next year he could force Lyon to be his backup. Nothing wrong with that.

In fact it is what i prefer.

Let him ease into the role. He must earn it....and i think he eventually will wins and performance will dictate who is the starter.

I have seen him compared to Carey Price many times and Price only play a grand total of 12 AHL games and he turned out pretty decent.

Now for the life of me i can't remember Montreal's situation and why he got just 12 games but he played 10 games in 2007-08 and then was in the NHL for 41 games which he went 23-12-3 in with a 920% and 2.56 gaa to go with it all.

Which i say are pretty damn good numbers for your first year.

So with hindsight it looks like they made the right choice and he hasn't looked back since.

So with all that said i think each case is different....and i just hope they do what is right for Hart and his future which could be brite!

The only winterhawk that beat Hart with a clean shot was Bellows.  Bellows has an nhl release but his creativity is my issue with him. 

Needless to say the golden boy #6 overall golden knight pick Cody glass could not score on Hart with $100 on a whore house

Hart is 19. The other top goalie prospects in the world are probably the Russian trio (my how times have changed...Philly and the Russians with great goaltending prospects) and they're all 21-22. And also not in the NHL.

Unless he absolutely forces you to keep him up he should play in the A. Our D is getting better, but we still have McDud. And with JVR back at forward...that should add another 200 shots against.

Goalies can have their confidence rattled pretty quickly in the NHL...don't do that to a teenager.

17 hours ago, hf101 said:

Carter Hart will wear # 31 for the Phantoms and # 79 for the Flyers as announced today which got me thinking of our expectations for him this season.  According to the Hextall mindset, no player is given a roster spot on the Flyers unless they earn it by replacing a veteran.  Replacing either one of our goaltenders Elliot or Neuvirth can't be that challenging.  He also highly prefers time to be earned in the AHL as the recommended path, but we've seen recent exceptions with our highly skilled defensemen, Ivan Provorov, and our talented center, Nolan Patrick as making the Flyers in their rookie seasons.  So where are your realistic expectations for Carter Hart this season? From what we've seen he is as talented in net as Provorov is as a d-man and Patrick is at center.  Does he really need a full year or more in the AHL?

What makes this all even more interesting is his ice-time.  I would think Hextall would want him starting as many games as possible next season.  I'm not sure that being a back-up to Alex Lyon in the Phantoms provides any advantage to him just directly backing up Elliot with the Flyers.  Some interesting decisions are ahead during the pre-season - Can't wait!

Fixed

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Unless he absolutely forces you to keep him up he should play in the A. Our D is getting better, but we still have McDud. And with JVR back at forward...that should add another 200 shots against.

Goalies can have their confidence rattled pretty quickly in the NHL...don't do that to a teenager.

Hart just turned 20, Aug 13th, if he was 19 he wouldn't be able to play in the AHL.   

Both Provorov and Patrick forced Hextall to keep them on the roster, why shouldn't a goalie have the same opportunities if earned?  I don't think he earns a job in the NHL out of camp, but I do have some expectations that he would get called up if he is playing better than Alex Lyon.

I think that he'll get into a few games this season, but only due to injuries. I just find it hard to believe that both Neuvirth and Elliott won't be on the shelf at the same time at some point this season. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Hart just turned 20, Aug 13th, if he was 19 he wouldn't be able to play in the AHL.   

Both Provorov and Patrick forced Hextall to keep them on the roster, why shouldn't a goalie have the same opportunities if earned?  I don't think he earns a job in the NHL out of camp, but I do have some expectations that he would get called up if he is playing better than Alex Lyon.

It's a little different with goalies. Players can make a ton of mistakes and the vast majority will not lead to a goal against. With a goalie, a mistake usually means it ends up behind you. Make enough of those, and it can rattle both the team in front of him and the goalie himself. 

My guess is he plays the full season in the AHL, and might get a call up in case of injury *if* he is burning up the AHL. Otherwise, my guess is Lyon is the first call up. 

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

but we still have McDud. And with JVR back at forward...that should add another 200 shots against.

hyperbole, I recognize the concept.

However, I think the base concept is wrong.  MacDonald was decent on the ice last year. 

I know you hate his contract, but the player and what he's paid are two different things. 

His time with the org will be over soon enough. He didn't steal from the company, took his demotion to the A like a true pro.

time to get up off the guy.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Right. 

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Goalies development time is way longer than defencemen which is way longer than forwards. That's nothing you don't already know.

95 goalies played at least a game in the NHL last season...There was exactly ZERO 20 year olds.. There was however one 19 year old who played on the defensively minded Golden Knights for ONE game posting a .500 save percentage and a 6.50 GAA. I'm sure his confidence was just booming after that.. 

Let's see how Hart handles the AHL before throwing him into a hornets nest. Of all our prospects I'd say this is the guy we'd better damn well be the most careful with.

51 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

However, I think the base concept is wrong.  MacDonald was decent on the ice last year. 

I know you hate his contract, but the player and what he's paid are two different things. 

His time with the org will be over soon enough. He didn't steal from the company, took his demotion to the A like a true pro.

You're absolutely right.

I still don't throw Hart on the Flyers at his age with zero pro experience.

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I actually think Sanheim/MacDonald may prove to be pretty decent overall. 

I think he will get time, but only because Elliott and Neuvirth will both get hurt.

I do not want them to rush the kid, however.  Even though he may have success in the short term if it gets time, I don't think that means he should automatically be the starter on a full time basis.  Goaltender is a very tough position mentally.  I think it's a big ask for a 20 year old to handle that, no matter how mature.  

1 hour ago, vis said:

I think he will get time, but only because Elliott and Neuvirth will both get hurt.

I do not want them to rush the kid, however.  Even though he may have success in the short term if it gets time, I don't think that means he should automatically be the starter on a full time basis.  Goaltender is a very tough position mentally.  I think it's a big ask for a 20 year old to handle that, no matter how mature.  

I agree that Elliott and Neuvy will get hurt (Neuvy's lucky to survive training camp), but I expect Lyon and Stolarz would both get the nod over Hart.

I mean, stranger things have happened of course, but I honestly think it would take something amazing for Hart to be in the O&B this season. He'd have to blow everyone away in camp for starters, and then he'd have to maintain his pace throughout the year to boot.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Well i think that would require Lyon and/or Stolie to play or suck they get hurt too....before he gets a shot.

I'm good with that no sense of recalling him unless you absolutely have to have him let he stay and settle in.

His main goal should be wining the net in LV first.

Anything after that would just be gravy on top...for a twenty year old that is a good goal to start with.

#babysteps

Unfamiliar territory with handling a legit franchise goalie.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I agree that Elliott and Neuvy will get hurt (Neuvy's lucky to survive training camp), but I expect Lyon and Stolarz would both get the nod over Hart.

I mean, stranger things have happened of course, but I honestly think it would take something amazing for Hart to be in the O&B this season. He'd have to blow everyone away in camp for starters, and then he'd have to maintain his pace throughout the year to boot.

I had just posted that. Nothing wrong with winning the starting job in LV first. He has some good competition there with those two.

They too are playing for their next contracts....which should make for a helluva battle in net.

That too should propel the Phantoms to no less than the 2nd round this year with all the talent they will have.

Anything less and i will be disappointed.

Not telling anyone stuff they don't already know, but the NHL game is SO much quicker, the release and accuracy of shooters off the charts. No matter how great Harts plays in TC, he needs to adjust to AHL players way before he tries the best league in the world.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, hf101 said:

See how this is unchartered territory for the Flyers organization to have a top-rated goalie prospect, I think the best thing is for Hextall to be patient with Hart. Let him play a year in the AHL to get use to the pro game and go from there. If there are injuries to Neuvrith (which is a given) or Elliot then Hextall can bring Hart up for a game or two otherwise keep him in the AHL. Hart is probably the best goalie prospect the Flyers have drafted since Lindbergh so they can't screw this up. It would be nice to have a top-notch goalie in the Flyers net for the next 10 years with all of the other young players.

I agree with the "only if injury" reasoning.  Lyon and perhaps Stolarz have more NHL experience and would probably get a call-up before Hart.  A wild card might be trade.  I have a feeling Hextall will have to start thinning the herd. Maybe one of the prospects goes. 

We are probably a marginal playoff squad this year.  I see no need to rush development of a goalie.  I seem to recall that in the last decade, we've seen only three 20 or younger goalies start in the NHL (Fleury was one).  Let Hart get some prep in the A.  

While I've said I think it's unlikely, this is an interesting quote from Hakstol regarding Hart, in that it leaves the door open more than a crack:

"I would expect [Hart] to come to camp with nothing less than an absolute drive and a mentality to make our hockey club," coach Dave Hakstol said. "Let's see how training camp goes and where he is as a young goaltender. … We're not ready to skip any steps developmentally along the way. He's done everything right, he's answered every question along the way, he's met every challenge. I want to see him continue doing that. What's right for the young man and his long-term future? Those questions have to be answered on the ice."

I don't really think it changes anything, but it seems a bit of a departure from the "these guys need time" mantra we've been used to getting.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:12 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Well i think that would require Lyon and/or Stolie to play or suck they get hurt too....before he gets a shot.

But if he's playing better than both, should he not get a call up ahead of them?

On 8/27/2018 at 5:09 PM, elmatus said:

See my response above.

If he, as expected, starts the season in the AHL and subsequently outperforms Lyon and Stolarz (which may not be that farfetched), should he not get a call up - particularly if both goalies go down?  It wouldn't surprise me for Hart to have a rough start in the AHL, but it wouldn't surprise me if he catches on pretty quick down there and may earns a big slice of net.  If Elliott and/or Neuvirth go down toward the end of the season, Hart may have played himself into a call-up by then. 

Archived