Carter Hart Expectations for the 2018-19 Season

hf101

What are your Carter Hart expectations in 2018-19?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will Carter Hart play for the Flyers this season?

• None - Hart will play the entire season in the AHL.
    • None - Even if called up on the Flyers he most likely won't get a start.
    • Less than 10 games.
    • Hart will make the Flyers roster and play more than 10 games.
    • Hart will be the starting goaltender for the Flyers 2019 Playoffs.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

No Price only played 12 total games in the AHL over two different seasons.

Two his last year after Tri-City was done with junior playoffs.

A junior career were he barely finished .500 and had no where close to the numbers Hart had.

And the following year he played 10 games and never looked back.

Just pointing that out.

Regardless i want Hart to get his seasoning in the AHL i wouldn't even think about calling him up unless he is lighting the AHL world on fire and every other goalie is hurt and stinking it to high heaven.

Too much is riding on this kid (right or wrong) let's give him the time he needs.

Fair enough, so if we're looking at elite level goalies who essentially made the jump from juniors to the NHL with little to no experience in a weaker pro mens league, Carey Price would be the one example.

Up until very recently, Price was widely considered to be the best goalie in the world. It would certainly be nice if Hart ever laid claim to that kind of title, but I'm certainly not going to expect it of him. Nor do we need the best goalie in the world for that matter, we just need to not have terrible ones.

I'm with you anyway: Let the kid develop however he needs to. Definitely no rushing.

I'm thinking this is the way it could play out.....

Elliott is the starter. IF Lyon looks good in TC, the Flyers carry 3 goalies to start the year at the NHL level. When Lyon gets into games, if the Flyers feel comfortable with him as the back up....then Neuvirth gets traded to Carolina or some other goalie depleted team....or bought out. No way do the Flyers risk losing Lyon to waivers....he played WAY to solid in the AHL playoffs, basically carried the team on his back. Stolarz, they risk sending him down. He has been injured and should slide though. Hart is the AHL starter and his back up will be up in the air. 

On 8/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, hf101 said:

Image result for carter hart flyers jersey

Carter Hart will wear # 31 for the Phantoms and # 79 for the Flyers as announced today which got me thinking of our expectations for him this season.  According to the Hextall mindset, no player is given a roster spot on the Flyers unless they earn it by replacing a veteran.  Replacing either one of our goaltenders Elliot or Neuvirth can't be that challenging.  He also highly prefers time to be earned in the AHL as the recommended path, but we've seen recent exceptions with our highly skilled defensemen, Ivan Provorov, and our talented center, Nolan Patrick as making the Flyers in their rookie seasons.  So where are your realistic expectations for Carter Hart this season? From what we've seen he is as talented in net as Provorov is as a d-man and Patrick is at center.  Does he really need a full year or more in the AHL?

Do you think he might earn a roster spot in Training Camp?

Does he play any games with the Flyers this season?  If so, how many?

What makes this all even more interesting is his ice-time.  I would think Hextall would want him starting as many games as possible next season.  I'm not sure that being a back-up to Alex Lyon in the Phantoms provides any advantage to him just directly backing up Elliot with the Flyers.  Some interesting decisions are ahead during the pre-season - Can't wait!

He doesn't just have to overcome the roster spot, he has to overcome his age and physical maturity.  I'm usually the guy on here throwing caution to the wind and saying PLAY THE KIDS!  But when it comes to goalies, and especially the way we've seen Hakstol moronically handle them, there is no way on earth I want Hart making the Flyers out of camp this year.

Even if that means (and it likely will) putting less talented people in net and hindering the Flyers chances a bit this year.  I'd rather hinder their chances a bit this year than damage the decade or so we could get out of Hart IF WE JUST HANDLE A GOALIE PROPERLY FOR ONCE. 

After all the injuries and inconsistencies from last year, I expect Hart may need to play this year.  But I think there are enough options in place to keep him from playing more than a handful of regular season games and Hextall will exercise all of them rather than overplay the kid.  

Murray and Price aside, let us never forget Rick DiPietro.  

Ease him in.

Better safe than sorry.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:36 AM, jammer2 said:

I'm thinking this is the way it could play out.....

Elliott is the starter. IF Lyon looks good in TC, the Flyers carry 3 goalies to start the year at the NHL level. When Lyon gets into games, if the Flyers feel comfortable with him as the back up....then Neuvirth gets traded to Carolina or some other goalie depleted team....or bought out. No way do the Flyers risk losing Lyon to waivers....he played WAY to solid in the AHL playoffs, basically carried the team on his back. Stolarz, they risk sending him down. He has been injured and should slide though. Hart is the AHL starter and his back up will be up in the air. 

This is what I want more than anything.  Although be prepared for it to be Stolarz if he's recovered and not Lyon.  

This probably won't be what happens though as neither Lyon nor Stolarz are waiver exempt.  Either can be called up on an emergency injury fill in role without having to pass through waivers though.

So what is likely to happen is the Phantoms carry 3 goalies who all trade starts until Neuvy inevitably gets hurt. With his history and Hakstol's penchant for running his net minders into the ground, this shouldn't take long to accomplish.  

if camp reveals that Stolarz looks healthy and Hart looks good enough for NHL duty later in the season, we might see Hextall try to move Neuvy, but that seems unlikely to me.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

This is what I want more than anything.  Although be prepared for it to be Stolarz if he's recovered and not Lyon.  

This probably won't be what happens though as neither Lyon nor Stolarz are waiver exempt.  Either can be called up on an emergency injury fill in role without having to pass through waivers though.

So what is likely to happen is the Phantoms carry 3 goalies who all trade starts until Neuvy inevitably gets hurt. With his history and Hakstol's penchant for running his net minders into the ground, this shouldn't take long to accomplish.  

if camp reveals that Stolarz looks healthy and Hart looks good enough for NHL duty later in the season, we might see Hextall try to move Neuvy, but that seems unlikely to me.  

Well the good news if Stolie and Lyon slip through waivers back to the Phantoms and then Elliott and/or Neuvy get hurt look like doo doo then you could swap Stolie or Lyon out with the one you want to bounce and then Stolie or Lyon become the Flyer backup and then waiver NHL becomes the new backup to Hart with the Phantoms.

However once the goalie situation becomes a little clearer i would expect Ron to make a move maybe to move a goalie out to make room. 

Then it would be Elliott/Neuvy and Stolie/Hart and then for example Lyon traded to fill in the blank team....

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the good news if Stolie and Lyon slip through waivers back to the Phantoms and then Elliott and/or Neuvy get hurt look like doo doo then you could swap Stolie or Lyon out with the one you want to bounce and then Stolie or Lyon become the Flyer backup and then waiver NHL becomes the new backup to Hart with the Phantoms.

However once the goalie situation becomes a little clearer i would expect Ron to make a move maybe to move a goalie out to make room. 

Then it would be Elliott/Neuvy and Stolie/Hart and then for example Lyon traded to fill in the blank team....

Shouldn't need to slip them through if they start the year on the phantoms and get called up because someone's hurt (as opposed to sucking).  The emergency recall rule should apply.  

Lyon's value may never be higher.  And Neuvy and Stolarz might not have much value at all pre-season.  I don't have much belief in Lyon as an NHL goalie, I liked what I saw from Stolarz much more, but then he got hurt and its difficult to know how I feel without seeing much of a fully recovered Stolie.  It's not that I think Lyon is bad, I just don't think he looked very good at the NHL level.  He went from, "wait is this a joke?" to "pretty damn bad" to "not terrible" pretty quickly and I assume that has as much to do with nerves as anything, but still... never good.  He finished with a .905 save %, but that was reached very manic depressively, doing either very well or very poorly.  

Which isn't to say the kid couldn't come up and go on a tear for a game or two here or there at some point... I just wouldn't count on it.  If it's me, if Stolarz looks anything remotely like his leg is healthy and has full strength and mobility, I'm taking most offers for Neuvy or Lyon seriously.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Shouldn't need to slip them through if they start the year on the phantoms

Yeah well they have to get there first so they must be waived to be sent down to start the season...that is what i meant.

Who knows like Chris Porter and Alt Ron got burnt trying to sneak them down.

Teams watch the waiver wire and if they can get better for basically free then they will do so and claim the guys.

And then once injuries crop up during camp and preseason the chances of them getting claimed go up. It's a gamble.

Hell worst case scenario is both get claimed then the Flyers have to go and sign someone to tandem with Hart.

Sure very unlikely but it could happen.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:03 AM, elmatus said:

Well, I mean anything is possible of course. I think a lot would have to go very very well for it to happen, but anything is possible.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Hart would have to blow people away in camp as a first step. He would then have to win the starting job and essentially prove he's too good for the AHL. If he can do all of those things in his first pro year, then yeah I could see it. Otherwise, I expect Hexy will stay on the prudent path.

Much like a similar discussion we've been having on Frost's chances of making the line up as a 3C, Hart does have the advantage of really having meager competition for the role at best. The question then becomes: Do you risk rushing a potential franchise goalie because your current starter was ranked 32nd among NHL goalies last season, or do you let him get at least one year of pro-level play before tossing him to the hounds?

I don't have an answer for that. I just hope whatever Hexy decides ends up being the right decision for Hart. 

I don't think you rush him for any reason.  I mean if Neuvy goes down in January and Hart hasn't been scored on in two months, then okay... I'll think about it... but in the mean time let him face full sized grown men and a more physical game night in and night out for a year as his body finishes growing up. 

Whether or not he's "ready" has as much to do with his body and his conditioning as it does with his skill and talent.  

Frost is similar, but he has the advantage of not needing to be on the ice for 60 minutes a night.  Although he also has the disadvantage of not being able to play in the AHL this year.  

On 8/29/2018 at 7:14 AM, AJgoal said:

Well, only Hart is waiver exempt, so it's possible that one of Lyon or Stolarz gets nabbed if they're waived. Not sure it's likely, but I didn't think anyone would claim Alt, so who knows. 

They won't need to go on waivers if they come up for an emergency recall for injury... only if they come up because Neuvy or Elliott is just playing terribly.  

17 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They won't need to go on waivers if they come up for an emergency recall for injury... only if they come up because Neuvy or Elliott is just playing terribly.  

Sure not disputing that.

I talking about once there are trimming down the roster and getting towards the end of camp to go back to the Flyers those two have to pass through waivers first to be sent down.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:30 AM, OccamsRazor said:

It's hard to say. I'm glad i don't have to make that call. I will defer to Ron to make that call.

Even if he is truly outplaying both Lyon and Stolarz by leaps and bounds, it would likely depends on who's hurt and how long they're expected to be out.

If it's Elliott and for a long time, I don't think I'd send him.

If it's Neuvy or it's Elliott for a short time, I think I might.  

It also depends on where the Flyers are in the standings.  If it happens in March and they're fighting for their playoff lives, then you gotta play whoever's going to be best no matter what.

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Even if he is truly outplaying both Lyon and Stolarz by leaps and bounds, it would likely depends on who's hurt and how long they're expected to be out.

If it's Elliott and for a long time, I don't think I'd send him.

If it's Neuvy or it's Elliott for a short time, I think I might.  

It also depends on where the Flyers are in the standings.  If it happens in March and they're fighting for their playoff lives, then you gotta play whoever's going to be best no matter what.

I wouldn't send him unless he is the last option and everyone else is hurt.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't send him unless he is the last option and everyone else is hurt.

I would if it were for a very limited number of games and if Hakstol starts him more than 40%, I send him back immediately. 

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I would if it were for a very limited number of games and if Hakstol starts him more than 40%, I send him back immediately. 

I wouldn't bring him up regardless. Now if he is putting up numbers like he did in juniors for awhile then yes i would be more inclined to maybe think about it.

However i would be still apprehensive just knowing he is still 20 and the rigor physically and mentally are a huge step.

As stated i want to make sure he is develop the right way.

So we have never seen an bad example of where a kid was left down too long and over developed.

I am concentrating on him having a long successful career in Philly so i want him treated with extreme care.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't bring him up regardless. Now if he is putting up numbers like he did in juniors for awhile then yes i would be more inclined to maybe think about it.

However i would be still apprehensive just knowing he is still 20 and the rigor physically and mentally are a huge step.

As stated i want to make sure he is develop the right way.

So we have never seen an bad example of where a kid was left down too long and over developed.

I am concentrating on him having a long successful career in Philly so i want him treated with extreme care.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

I'm 100% with you, but if he is absolutely killing it, and the big club had an injury, I would let him have a taste of the NHL.  But just a taste...  and no matter how he does in that taste (unless he literally hasn't been scored on or something) He wouldn't be my playoff goalie unless all other options were exhausted. 

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

No, but they need to be waived at the start of the season.

13 hours ago, AJgoal said:

No, but they need to be waived at the start of the season.

Damn...I keep forgetting they’re considered active roster at this point.  Well I guess we know why Hextall brought back Stolarz.  

Still, unless some other team’s goalie gets hurt in th preseason, it’s doubtful either  gets claimed because whoever takes them has to give them an NHL job right away. 

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Damn...I keep forgetting they’re considered active roster at this point.  Well I guess we know why Hextall brought back Stolarz.  

Still, unless some other team’s goalie gets hurt in th preseason, it’s doubtful either  gets claimed because whoever takes them has to give them an NHL job right away. 

I wouldn't be too sure about that. All it takes is for teams to remember that Lyon was a sought after NCAA FA and then believe that he has more potential than their backup. I can think of several teams that may be willing to take a swing at him to fill their backup role. 

42 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. All it takes is for teams to remember that Lyon was a sought after NCAA FA and then believe that he has more potential than their backup. I can think of several teams that may be willing to take a swing at him to fill their backup role. 

Youre right.  Waive Neuvybto start and let them see Lyonnplay a few more NHL games before they waive him.  That ought to clear things up for them. 

But seriously, this makes my idea of keeping three guys in ththe NHL make even more sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hart could be a Flyer before Turkey Day..

...Elliott Neuvy and Stolie coming off seasons of having surgery.

They all a sneeze away from being on IR literally.

I just hope he makes it because he's ready and not because he's all we've got. 

• 2 months later...

Archived