NHL to put more commercials on the ice

Puck_Pun

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/04/23/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/NHL-inventory.aspx

NHL opens new sponsor inventory in the ice

By Ian Thomas, Staff Writer
April 23, 2018

The NHL will add four new in-ice advertising positions at all games starting next season, the first new pieces of inventory the league has added inside the rink since the 1990s.

The four new positions will be in each of the rink corners. The NHL tested the positions during its exhibition games in China prior to this season, and at the 2018 All-Star Game in Tampa.

Currently, there are four in-ice advertising positions during NHL games, located near the neutral zone faceoff dots. Those positions are restricted to an area no greater than 81 square feet. The new logos will be no more than 44 square feet. The NHL also features advertising along the dasherboards, which it has allowed since 1978. Roughly 20 to 22 of those positions are visible on a television broadcast.

Starting with the 2018-19 season, all 31 NHL teams will have the ability to sell each of the four new positions for preseason and regular-season games. For playoff games, the NHL will take control of the new positions, with the teams continuing to control the four around center ice.

NHL Chief Revenue Officer Keith Wachtel said that doing so for the roughly 90 postseason games a year would allow the league to sell what it views as a “global media opportunity with tremendous brand awareness.”

“With the success that our clubs are seeing in their local markets, they’ve run out of valuable inventory,” Wachtel said. “We see this as some of the most valuable real estate in all of sports.”

The league estimates that each spot will have about 20 to 25 minutes of exposure during every game. Given that, Wachtel said he expects these positions could provide the teams with up to eight figures of incremental revenue per season, while the NHL’s ability to sell the positions during the playoffs will provide the league a similar amount. Wachtel noted that typically, the four partners that have the existing in-ice positions at the local level are the highest revenue-generating partnerships for teams outside of naming-rights deals.

Ron Skotarczak, executive vice president of marketing partnerships for The Madison Square Garden Co., said the new positions are a potential low seven-digit pure incremental opportunity, noting that the company would be able to offer the new opportunities to existing partners or to the open market. He credited Wachtel and the league for its aggressive approach “in trying new things.”

Michael Neuman, executive vice president and managing partner of Scout Sports and Entertainment, which handles Geico’s NHL league and teams deals, said he believes marketers will view these new positions as very valuable.

“It shows that the NHL is thinking creatively about how they’re going to generate new revenue with the new pressures to find alternative pieces of real estate that all leagues are facing right now,” he said.

Philadelphia Flyers Chief Operating Officer Shawn Tilger said the opportunity for the team to build bigger deals at a “founding partner” as a result of this new inventory, like it is able to do with its other four existing spots, will be a boon to its sponsorship revenue.

“It’s going to serve as an asset that may allow you to cultivate an existing sponsor into a bigger relationship, or an asset that tracks one of the bigger partners out there that’s not yet on board,” Tilger said.

MKTG Canada President and CEO Brian Cooper said that while he credits the league for creating a new piece of inventory in an area of the ice that is very visible, he is interested to see how the positions are shown on television during live games.

Wachtel said that he and the league are very bullish on the value of these positions, and fielding feedback during its test runs. The league has not yet signed any partnerships for these positions for next year’s playoffs. Despite the new inventory, he stressed the NHL does not want to imitate European hockey leagues, which cover their surfaces with advertising.

“We looked at what would be tastefully done while also driving additional partnerships and revenue,” Wachtel said.

You know, i never minded that. I get it that the cost of the game has gone up and wherever, whenever possible that revenue can be raised without passing it on to us the fans I am all for it. I mean, I don't want the players looking like a walking talking decal like they do in Europe or in Nascar so this is a way of raising money for the league/teams without raising what you or I pay. 

The NHL tested the positions during its exhibition games in China prior to this season, and at the 2018 All-Star Game in Tampa."

So, how does one "test" the position of an ad painted on the ice? The "skate over it trip test"? The fall down on the ice test to see if it rubs off onto the snazzy NHL uniforms? Does black in the ads cause the infamous "disappearing puck" disaster??

Do the Chinese actually know what an ice ad is?? 😉

Sorry guys but some of the CRUD that flows out of the NHL's offices - one wonders.....

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Rather than pollute the ice surface with more ads, why not just make more of those scrolling ads they have along the boards... 

I'm honestly surprised the entire surface of the boards isn't scrolling/animated commercials like in other leagues. Setup from basketball to ice hockey gets more complicated? Idk.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:13 AM, hf101 said:

I looked up a video of one of the China games last year.  The added advertising location isn't that horrible.

These will be two seemingly (because they are) contradictory statements. 

First, the whole concept is like nails on a chalkboard to me just as principle.  I hate the whole thing. But I hate the ads already on the ice and I hate them on the boards. I remember when that first started. It's just an in your face reminder that the point to the wholeenterprise isn't actually sport; it's advertising and manipulation.

I know, no kidding. 

The second but contradictory statement is that I'm clearly not who they're reaching.  I don't notice the ads when I'm watching and I'm not sure I notice even on a subconscious level (would I know if I did?). Same with placement ads on websites. If they're not popping up in my face or suddenly playing unwanted audio, I don't notice. I notice the clutter and I'm bothered by it on a sensory level, but I don't cognitively have any recognition of the content. 

It may be why I have almost nothing on my phone home screen or my pc desktop. I can't stand the clutter. 

Two years ago I was bugged at how many commercials the Wild had during a game. All toll there were roughly 200 commercials each game. Now there's going to be more?

Gone are the days when you could watch a full 60 minute game in two hours?

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

These will be two seemingly (because they are) contradictory statements. 

First, the whole concept is like nails on a chalkboard to me just as principle.  I hate the whole thing. But I hate the ads already on the ice and I hate them on the boards. I remember when that first started. It's just an in your face reminder that the point to the wholeenterprise isn't actually sport; it's advertising and manipulation.

I know, no kidding. 

The second but contradictory statement is that I'm clearly not who they're reaching.  I don't notice the ads when I'm watching and I'm not sure I notice even on a subconscious level (would I know if I did?). Same with placement ads on websites. If they're not popping up in my face or suddenly playing unwanted audio, I don't notice. I notice the clutter and I'm bothered by it on a sensory level, but I don't cognitively have any recognition of the content. 

It may be why I have almost nothing on my phone home screen or my px desktop. I can't stand the clutter. 

Yeah, I agree, I've become desensitized to it all too, which is why I stated above that I didn't mind the new Ad locations behind the goal line.  While they show up best on a clean ice surface they become less visible as the game begins. I've become de-sensitized too.  I think the ads on TV that I notice the most are the ones that pop up on the glass before a face-off.  Most of these advertisements are from the major corporations that we all know exist,  and we buy their products when we want and ironically I think it is a huge waste of money for them.  

On 8/29/2018 at 6:32 PM, ruxpin said:

And they Nascar up the uniforms

Not long, I'm sure. Instead of anniversary patches or shoulder patches on the sweaters, we'll start seeing "tasteful" advertising patches. And after that it won't be long before we see stickers on the back or sides of the helmets...

I can just hear it at the Xcel Energy Center "Alright fans, get on your feet! Here they come...your Minnesota Toyota Dealer's Wild, presented by Bud Light!"

Heh, I remember the AFL wasn't impressed when the crows made the lyrics for their club song (which is a big thing in AFL) mention their key sponsor Camry. They were forced to change the line from "mighty Camry crows" to "mighty Adelaide crows" which really doesn't scan properly unless you pronounce Adelaide as two syllables. No other team has tried to do the same since.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:58 PM, Puck_Pun said:

I'm honestly surprised the entire surface of the boards isn't scrolling/animated commercials like in other leagues. Setup from basketball to ice hockey gets more complicated? Idk.

They did that for the World Cup of Hockey in 2016. I thought it was pretty nice.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, IllaZilla said:

Not long, I'm sure. Instead of anniversary patches or shoulder patches on the sweaters, we'll start seeing "tasteful" advertising patches. And after that it won't be long before we see stickers on the back or sides of the helmets...

I can just hear it at the Xcel Energy Center "Alright fans, get on your feet! Here they come...your Minnesota Toyota Dealer's Wild, presented by Bud Light!"

Just imagining all  that sounds just horrible, please help us not have that happening. We do not need anything like that happening.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, BluPuk said:

The NHL tested the positions during its exhibition games in China prior to this season, and at the 2018 All-Star Game in Tampa."

So, how does one "test" the position of an ad painted on the ice? The "skate over it trip test"? The fall down on the ice test to see if it rubs off onto the snazzy NHL uniforms? Does black in the ads cause the infamous "disappearing puck" disaster??

Do the Chinese actually know what an ice ad is?? 😉

Sorry guys but some of the CRUD that flows out of the NHL's offices - one wonders.....

Ahhhh, but that's where the revival of Fox's "glowing puck" comes back into play, my friend!! :ike:

Only THIS time, since "the glow" has to be seen by players on the ice (and NOT just the lucky TV viewers watching all over North America), the puck will have a very specific type of Uranium ore in its center that glows like a sumbitch.

No way a player can lose that, no matter HOW many dark colored ads are put on the ice...… black ads matter, after all....  :ph34r::ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Archived