Wild Fans Speak 2018-19 Edition

CreaseAndAssist

As long as Leipold owns this team...their floor and ceiling are about the same...mediocre!

P.S. Anyone who can't see that Leipold IS the problem...probably can't see the forest through the trees either...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with most people for the most part except Tim on saying Fenton has "wisely avoided making changes just for the sake of change". Fenton, has in fact, made changes for the sake of change. The trades show this. Donato was a complete fluke that nobody say coming but even he died down at the end of the season. The trades didn't make sense for the most part. It ended up being instant upgrades for the other teams well the Wild got beans in exchange. The money saved wasn't much. The constant try to trade Zucker for anything at this point reeks of making a move to make a move. We want to get younger and faster by trading a younger and fastest player we have for guys older and slower?! What?!

Overall, I honestly don't know what the Wild can really do here. We have a owner who wants to be involved with hockey decisions when he has very low hockey IQ. He hires yes men GMs who are more then happy to do everything the owner says. Then they decide together to bring in two "big name" players who they center everything around. These players get real friendly with the owner who is worried about being their friend instead of their boss. This allows these two to do what they want and not face consequences of their actions. Example, Adam Oates ordeal. They hire somebody else, go off by themselves with him, ignore the coach and teammates, bring a person out of the organization to the practice, watch coach get fired and suffer no consequences. Now imagine somebody like Spurgeon, Zucker, etc doing this. There would have been huge consequences.

We know the locker room is toxic. What hurts more is watching the Blues win the cup is we seen a team who was at one point this season the worst team, come together and become one unit and fight and grind to do what they did. Never once have we seen this team do this since basically the 02-03 season that we made the conference finals with a bunch of "nobodies". I would argue our "leaders" on this team are way more content with making money then ever winning a cup. Honestly, Parise and Suter were in it for the money. They probably thought maybe we could have a shot of winning a cup but money had to be first, second and third with them. There is no way those two could have not realized that eating that much salary from a team wouldn't limit what they could do. And players wanting to win cups are not going to sit on a 13 year contract in case the team they signed too isn't good enough. Now we are starting to see players who are big names and have one it all avoid this team and not want to come here.

What should the Wild do? Honestly, a rebuild should happen with the vets having to take the back seat.

What will Fenton and Leipold do? Probably continue to believe Suter and Parise are the center piece and super stars like Kane, Crosby, Malkin, etc and "try" to build around them. This includes saying we want to get younger and faster yet trade said younger and faster players for older and slower players. Continue to try to ignore the toxic locker room. Continue to not develop players. Continue to think a tweak or two is all that is needed. Continue to allow 11, 20 and their friends eat the key moments ice team even though they have shown no reason why they should. They will continue to do whatever it takes to get 11 and 20 going which includes breaking up hot lines to get these hot players to try and pass their fire to them. I think Fenton will continue to try to make moves for the sake of making moves. I think he will continue to trade players that have proven for unknown, unproven players. I think he will once again draft guys way higher then they should ever go and pass up other good players. I think they will continue the trend of making the franchise a safe haven for a player who is looking to retire with one last big pay check who doesn't care if they win a Cup or not.

This might be the most frustrating Minnesota sports team we have. At least the Vikings, T-Wolves and Twins are trying to improve and they are showing going about the correct way is how you do. The Wild continue to ignore the iceberg the size of Australia in front of them well they go full speed ahead. The culture of the Wild has to change for anything to happen. The fans also have to get over that making the playoffs so many times in a row doesn't mean you are a good team especially if in 6 playoff appearances you have only tallied 12 wins in the first round. This does not make you a good team. First round punching bag for another team is no different then not making the playoffs. Yes it's true the playoffs are a "new season" but the difference between the Wild and the rest of the teams is the rest of the teams become more of a unit, tighten their game and turn up the gears well the Wild have been redlining just to make it to the playoffs and there is no other gears to go too. They don't tighten their game and the roster looks no more of a unit then a group of guys playing in a beer league.

I would love to be wrong on this and we do win it all. Nothing would be greater. But I don't think we will see a big culture change until 11 and 20 are gone. This will force the franchise to reset and have to build correctly. You just can't buy a championship anymore. Teams like the Blues are proving this. Teams like Boston have been pretty much the same forever too. As a Wild fan it's frustrating to see teams below us get so much better then us but as a hockey fan it's exciting to see the top dog teams getting knocked down and seeing the bottom feeders beat them.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Beyond the Pod: Tom Kurvers & Scott Sandelin

Listen to Kurvers and Micheletti...we are so close yada yada yada.  

I met Micheletti, he's a nice man but really has become a big cheerleader for the Wild. Funny thing he was on Paul Allen, I believe, this morning and they were talking about Wild and when Pat said the Wild are very close, you could hear the hesitation in his voice like even he didn't believe what he said, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Beyond the Pod: Tom Kurvers & Scott Sandelin

Listen to Kurvers and Micheletti...we are so close yada yada yada.  

It's to be expected from Kurvers. I don't think Kurvers would keep his job real long if he came out and said "Yeah, we're just not there yet. The team needs some retooling. The young guys we have just aren't getting it done, and there's only so many more years guys like Staal, Parise and Koivu have left. Their window is closing real fast. So no, I don't think we're close. We have work to do."

Micheletti is nothing more than a Wild cheerleader, ala the Three Stooges: LaPanta, Greenlay and Gorg. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

I met Micheletti, he's a nice man but really has become a big cheerleader for the Wild. Funny thing he was on Paul Allen, I believe, this morning and they were talking about Wild and when Pat said the Wild are very close, you could hear the hesitation in his voice like even he didn't believe what he said, lol.

That's true, I was listening to it as I was driving back to Wisconsin today.  It was nauseating.  What a Kool Aid drinker.  So sad.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

That's true, I was listening to it as I was driving back to Wisconsin today.  It was nauseating.  What a Kool Aid drinker.  So sad.  

If what I am hearing and the warming house is a lot more emptier then it's ever been then my guess is we are going to see the cheerleaders go cringe worthy cheerleading. As Kirk Lazarus said, "Everybody knows you never go full retard". Get ready for the already kool aid drinkers to do this.

I get that these guys want to stay positive about the team. But at some point as hockey people, they have to realize that this team is going nowhere fast.

And as a fan, I'd appreciate some honesty from the front office. I'd have a lot more respect for the team if someone came out and said "Look, this isn't working. We need to rebuild. We're going to have to dismantle the team in order to get better draft picks and prospects. It's going to be painful for the next couple of seasons. But when we are done, we should have some great young prospects coming through the ranks and in a couple of seasons they should be ready to led the team into the Playoffs and and our ultimate goal, the Stanley Cup."

Or something like that. Don't tell me "We're really close to winning the Cup, we just need a few tweaks." I've watched the games. You're not. Besides, if you're so close, why did you finish in last place in the division? Why did you conduct a sort-of fire sale if you're so close? Usually if you're "so close" you acquire a player or two to push you over the hump. Like Fletcher did with Jason Pominville. You don't trade away all your supposed core players because "they weren't getting it done..." and then come out and say "It's not a rebuild..."

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

52 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

If what I am hearing and the warming house is a lot more emptier then it's ever been then my guess is we are going to see the cheerleaders go cringe worthy cheerleading. As Kirk Lazarus said, "Everybody knows you never go full retard". Get ready for the already kool aid drinkers to do this.

As I said on Twitter...the Minnesota Wild are going to have their 'reckoning' this summer.  Listening to Russo's podcast (the one I attended) I totally missed that Brock Nelson apparently wanted to come back...but instead took the Islanders' extension instead.  Not that we have to have every single Minnesota player but its more proof that the outside view of this club is pretty ugly.  Despite what the Kool Aid drinkers want people to believe.  

Reading Fenton talk glowingly about his son, and his whopping 2 years of NHL scouting experience and now he and another guy are leading our draft this year.  Yikes.  Its clear this organization isn't about winning, its about making a few individuals comfortable and they simply hope there are enough suckers out there that believe their crap.  

This team should save its money, because its going to be losing a lot of it this year with the attendance problem they're going to start to have.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I get that these guys want to stay positive about the team. But at some point as hockey people, they have to realize that this team is going nowhere fast.

And as a fan, I'd appreciate some honesty from the front office. I'd have a lot more respect for the team if someone came out and said "Look, this isn't working. We need to rebuild. We're going to have to dismantle the team in order to get better draft picks and prospects. It's going to be painful for the next couple of seasons. But when we are done, we should have some great young prospects coming through the ranks and in a couple of seasons they should be ready to led the team into the Playoffs and and our ultimate goal, the Stanley Cup."

Or something like that. Don't tell me "We're really close to winning the Cup, we just need a few tweaks." I've watched the games. You're not. Besides, if you're so close, why did you finish in last place in the division? Why did you conduct a sort-of fire sale if you're so close? Usually if you're "so close" you acquire a player or two to push you over the hump. Like Fletcher did with Jason Pominville. You don't trade away all your supposed core players because "they weren't getting it done..." and then come out and say "It's not a rebuild..."

Exactly.  As the more harsh way of saying it, "don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining outside."   I think this fanbase is more than capable of tolerating reality.  I think most recognize its old, slow and has a pretty shallow prospect pool.  I think they realize we're not even close to being a contender for the Cup let alone the playoffs.  So what, we need to rebuild.  Of course we freakin' do!  

Why pretend that isn't necessary when everyone knows it is.  Unless the owner simply can't tolerate it, its not like its his money anyways...its his wife's.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Exactly.  As the more harsh way of saying it, "don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining outside."   I think this fanbase is more than capable of tolerating reality.  I think most recognize its old, slow and has a pretty shallow prospect pool.  I think they realize we're not even close to being a contender for the Cup let alone the playoffs.  So what, we need to rebuild.  Of course we freakin' do!  

The Wild should look across the river at the Twins. While I'm not in love with their "business model" approach to running a baseball team, they just went through a rebuild and look at them now. So far this season they are running away with their division. Got rid of an old school coach that preferred veterans to younger players, got a hitting coach that doesn't try to turn every player into a spray hitter, got rid of a bunch of dead weight, got some good prospects from trades and coming up through their system (which I'll give them this, they invest heavily in their scouting departments and farm system), and hired a coach that identified with the younger players. Oh, and the team relies heavily on ANALYTICS now. But most importantly, everyone in the organization is on the same page. The owner writes the checks, the GM's find the players, the manager manages the team, and the players play the game. Everyone stays in their lane and look at the team now.

And then there's the Wild...🤡

• Like 1

Leipold squandering his wife's money and the team getting nowhere fast brought this song to my mind:

"You're not looking forward and you are not looking back
You've lost the warranty, you'll never get your money back
My baby's buying me another life, getting nowhere fast"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

As I said on Twitter...the Minnesota Wild are going to have their 'reckoning' this summer.  Listening to Russo's podcast (the one I attended) I totally missed that Brock Nelson apparently wanted to come back...but instead took the Islanders' extension instead.  Not that we have to have every single Minnesota player but its more proof that the outside view of this club is pretty ugly.  Despite what the Kool Aid drinkers want people to believe.  

Reading Fenton talk glowingly about his son, and his whopping 2 years of NHL scouting experience and now he and another guy are leading our draft this year.  Yikes.  Its clear this organization isn't about winning, its about making a few individuals comfortable and they simply hope there are enough suckers out there that believe their crap.  

This team should save its money, because its going to be losing a lot of it this year with the attendance problem they're going to start to have.  

This team has the big "O NO!!!!" label all over it. I honestly wish they would just be honest with themselves and fans and say the Parise and Suter project was a failure. We are going to start working on a full rebuild. We will have some rough seasons but will improve with drafting and developing so in 4 years down the road we can make a serious run at the Cup.

Sadly, as the seasons have continued I find myself losing interest in this team more and more and find myself watching and cheering on others. This wouldn't be happening if the team came out and said we are doing a rebuild. I will stick with them during a rebuild. But to completely ignore the problems but saying we only need a minor tweak which causes more problems makes even a diehard fan not care to watch. I am jealous of the Blues and not just for winning the cup. They were the worst team at one point this past season. That locker room united and worked hard and look what it got them. The Wild, we all know there is venom in the locker room with most 100% sure it's from 11 and 20, could never achieve a united locker room and hard work from 100% of the roster.

It's depressing. I have been saying for a while now. Parise and Suter signing will go down as the worst pro signings in Minnesota history. They took a team that should have been looking into rebuilding and made the owner think this two are the second coming of Crosby and Ovchekin and completely skip over the rebuild. All it did was take a team from missing the playoffs to a team that is eliminated in 6 games in the first round. So any impact draft picks are out of the picture. We have 15 million locked to two players that are not super star game changers which prevents the Wild from actually signing some. It just eats me to know we have 6 more years unless we can get both to waive their clauses and find a team to take them.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:01 PM, IllaZilla said:

The Wild should look across the river at the Twins. While I'm not in love with their "business model" approach to running a baseball team, they just went through a rebuild and look at them now. So far this season they are running away with their division. Got rid of an old school coach that preferred veterans to younger players, got a hitting coach that doesn't try to turn every player into a spray hitter, got rid of a bunch of dead weight, got some good prospects from trades and coming up through their system (which I'll give them this, they invest heavily in their scouting departments and farm system), and hired a coach that identified with the younger players. Oh, and the team relies heavily on ANALYTICS now. But most importantly, everyone in the organization is on the same page. The owner writes the checks, the GM's find the players, the manager manages the team, and the players play the game. Everyone stays in their lane and look at the team now.

And then there's the Wild...🤡

Disagree about one thing--Boudreau and Molitor, both of the older generation, were not the issue with the Wild or the Twins. Nothing wrong with coaches/managers preferring veteran players, most of them do it--and for good reason.

19 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Suter / Parise Video

EJ, someone made this a while ago...about that very subject.  

I will watch later when I get home. Thank you.

Trust me, I still go back to that day the Wild sign those two and then their contracts came out. These two never did anything to warrant those contracts. They weren't superstars. They were good to very good players but those contracts were a joke. Sadly I think only one of those guys might have a slight desire to win a cup but not at the cost of giving up their contract.

I am not one to believe in stuff like conspiracy theories, crazy life forms like Mothman, Jersey Devil, etc but as a Minnesota sports fan I do now believe in curses and boy does Minnesota have the motherload of curses of pro male sport teams!

18 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

I will watch later when I get home. Thank you.

Trust me, I still go back to that day the Wild sign those two and then their contracts came out. These two never did anything to warrant those contracts. They weren't superstars. They were good to very good players but those contracts were a joke. Sadly I think only one of those guys might have a slight desire to win a cup but not at the cost of giving up their contract.

I am not one to believe in stuff like conspiracy theories, crazy life forms like Mothman, Jersey Devil, etc but as a Minnesota sports fan I do now believe in curses and boy does Minnesota have the motherload of curses of pro male sport teams!

Although Mileski made a good point in the latest Beyond the Pod episode.  As much as the team would like to rebuild, it can't because of the deals it signed with #11 and #20.  Those contracts are virtually impossible to get out of.  Both because of the length, the current age of these players and the fact they were given NMC's too.  Yet, and this has been stated in other threads I believe...any player who could be given that kind of financial security would probably take it.  

If you were told in your present working career, that you would, 1) have your job no matter what for what was left of your career, 2.) the company was going to pay you very well for the rest of your career, and 3) your company would not be able to change your work situation unless YOU approve it.  Of course you'd probably take it.  It means stability in a very exclusive way that few players are ever offered.  

Plus, at the time you probably feel you're going to really be loving the new company you're going to work for and its in a fairly nice place to live and raise a family which you are about to start or have only recently started to grow.  But now...a little over halfway through, one of those players is having some regrets about it.  Because, of how those deals have shaped the team's decision making and limited its flexibility...its at a point where it desperately needs a rebuild and the organization's deal they made with you is preventing that from taking place and you still want to win the big prize.  You want to win that prize, so you suggest you might entertain a transition to a new company.  The problem is, your present deal is guaranteed and that would have to be figured out to make it happen.  The Wild would no doubt have to retain money to whomever we traded him for and we'd likely just sort of dump him off and be happy with the cap space and flexibility it would give us.  But if that player retires before his deal is done the team gets crushed with the cap recapture penalties.  

Meanwhile, the other worker that was given that exact same deal as the previously mention employee has no regrets.  In fact, he is very very comfortable and uses his relationship with the owner to continue to demand and do whatever he pleases.  He knows he can't be moved, and one call or text to the owner and any obstacle in his way will be removed no matter if that person is allegedly an authority figure or not.  This player dictates his own work situation and thus it dictates what other players work situations are.  So it becomes more important for other players to have this players' approval than that of the boss (coach) and a warped power dynamic is created.  Soon, workers in other companies that may have been interested in joining that company hear about the strange and toxic environment and want nothing to do with this company.  So the only way that company can try to bring in talent from the outside is to grossly overpay it or lean heavily on personal / regional connections and hope they hadn't heard about that toxic environment to be scared off too much.  

Sound familiar?  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Although Mileski made a good point in the latest Beyond the Pod episode.  As much as the team would like to rebuild, it can't because of the deals it signed with #11 and #20.  Those contracts are virtually impossible to get out of.  Both because of the length, the current age of these players and the fact they were given NMC's too.  Yet, and this has been stated in other threads I believe...any player who could be given that kind of financial security would probably take it.  

If you were told in your present working career, that you would, 1) have your job no matter what for what was left of your career, 2.) the company was going to pay you very well for the rest of your career, and 3) your company would not be able to change your work situation unless YOU approve it.  Of course you'd probably take it.  It means stability in a very exclusive way that few players are ever offered.  

Plus, at the time you probably feel you're going to really be loving the new company you're going to work for and its in a fairly nice place to live and raise a family which you are about to start or have only recently started to grow.  But now...a little over halfway through, one of those players is having some regrets about it.  Because, of how those deals have shaped the team's decision making and limited its flexibility...its at a point where it desperately needs a rebuild and the organization's deal they made with you is preventing that from taking place and you still want to win the big prize.  You want to win that prize, so you suggest you might entertain a transition to a new company.  The problem is, your present deal is guaranteed and that would have to be figured out to make it happen.  The Wild would no doubt have to retain money to whomever we traded him for and we'd likely just sort of dump him off and be happy with the cap space and flexibility it would give us.  But if that player retires before his deal is done the team gets crushed with the cap recapture penalties.  

Meanwhile, the other worker that was given that exact same deal as the previously mention employee has no regrets.  In fact, he is very very comfortable and uses his relationship with the owner to continue to demand and do whatever he pleases.  He knows he can't be moved, and one call or text to the owner and any obstacle in his way will be removed no matter if that person is allegedly an authority figure or not.  This player dictates his own work situation and thus it dictates what other players work situations are.  So it becomes more important for other players to have this players' approval than that of the boss (coach) and a warped power dynamic is created.  Soon, workers in other companies that may have been interested in joining that company hear about the strange and toxic environment and want nothing to do with this company.  So the only way that company can try to bring in talent from the outside is to grossly overpay it or lean heavily on personal / regional connections and hope they hadn't heard about that toxic environment to be scared off too much.  

Sound familiar?  

And this doesn't even include the #9(wears the "C") dynamic that exists in the lockerroom. What a "CF"!

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't begrudge Parise or Suter for taking that contract. Anyone here would have done the same. But don't whine now about how you don't want to be part of a rebuild. If you don't want to be part of a rebuild, then call your agent up and get him to start shopping you around. Maybe there is an up and coming team that can fit you in under the cap. There are always teams looking to sign dead contracts or overpaid players to just reach the salary floor...

And while the contracts are almost impossible to get out of, the team could still rebuild. They'd have to marginalize Parise and Suter, but they could do it. Stop giving Parise top line minutes. Stop giving Suter 30+ minutes a game. Give that time to young guys. As far as the others, don't extend Koivu this season. Give him a gold watch and a one-way ticket to Finland. Trade Staal if possible. Same with Dubnyk.

They certainly could rebuild even with those two albatrosses. But they don't want to do it because it might mean the team misses the Playoffs for a season or two. And the owner wants to be in the Playoffs to get all that money.  That's why Fenton traded for NHL-ready players, not picks and prospects. Picks and prospects weren't going to help the team make the playoffs this season or next season... 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, IllaZilla said:

I don't begrudge Parise or Suter for taking that contract. Anyone here would have done the same. But don't whine now about how you don't want to be part of a rebuild. If you don't want to be part of a rebuild, then call your agent up and get him to start shopping you around. Maybe there is an up and coming team that can fit you in under the cap. There are always teams looking to sign dead contracts or overpaid players to just reach the salary floor...

And while the contracts are almost impossible to get out of, the team could still rebuild. They'd have to marginalize Parise and Suter, but they could do it. Stop giving Parise top line minutes. Stop giving Suter 30+ minutes a game. Give that time to young guys. As far as the others, don't extend Koivu this season. Give him a gold watch and a one-way ticket to Finland. Trade Staal if possible. Same with Dubnyk.

They certainly could rebuild even with those two albatrosses. But they don't want to do it because it might mean the team misses the Playoffs for a season or two. And the owner wants to be in the Playoffs to get all that money.  That's why Fenton traded for NHL-ready players, not picks and prospects. Picks and prospects weren't going to help the team make the playoffs this season or next season... 

This. I don't 100% blame Suter and Parise  for signing those contracts but they do get part of the blame cause they damn well knew eating a huge hunk of the cap room is going to impact the team big time. If they didn't then they are truly very low IQ people.

But my biggest frustration is with CL and his GMs handing out these contracts. If they did their homework you could clearly see that Parise would never be able to carry the offense on his shoulders and provide the scoring when the team needs it. He wasn't a game changer or franchise changer. Same with Suter on the defense side. You don't hand out the biggest contracts at the time to guys that are not game/franchise changer super stars. Then throw in 13 years with No trade/no move clauses. I know people with associate making the playoffs as franchise changer but it isn't. Being a fringe team that if they do make it are a first round punching bag is not what 99% of owners/GMs would consider a franchise changer.

Idk, maybe I have lost most of my faith with the franchise. We know only way we ever move the contracts is if both players agree to waive their clauses and we find another insane owner/GM to pick them up. We can still start a rebuild process now. It will be a six rebuild process now instead of having another miserable 6 years just to then start a rebuild. Put Parise and Suter to 4th line minutes. Give the other guys we have now the chance to shine and see where we need to fill. But the only thing Leipold cares about is making that playoff money. Make the playoffs at any cost. So we will once again sign another 1 or 2 guys in their 30s that are not superstars or game changers but give them a bloated contract that will be hard to move and bite the Wild in the @ss when it doesn't pan out. They will be right back at drafting at number 14 +. Rinse and repeat. We have seen this cycle for so long now it's almost insulting that there is fans who can't see this issue. You can still cheer them on but you can't overlook some huge issues holding this team back.

I am in a odd spot this season. I honestly don't feel like I have any want to watch this team. There is still a part of me that is curious. But there is more of a part of me that would miss not hearing from a ton of this people on the board. But I don't want to be on the board and part of any discussion without watching the team play to have knowledge when talking on here. Hopefully there is a move or signing that might stir my interest so I will want to watch otherwise this season will be a I will catch game when I have nothing going on and there is nothing else on kind of deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

I am in a odd spot this season. I honestly don't feel like I have any want to watch this team. There is still a part of me that is curious. But there is more of a part of me that would miss not hearing from a ton of this people on the board. But I don't want to be on the board and part of any discussion without watching the team play to have knowledge when talking on here.

👍 Yeah, I had the same feelings 2-3 months ago. I got over that phase pretty quickly. Kind of hard to witness this chitshow and keep telling myself "oh, this team's a winner". For the past 5 years. One has to at least take a break, a good one.

• Like 1