Wild Fans Speak 2018-19 Edition

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Fans Speak 2018-19, Part 1 of 3

Its that time of year where I gave a few Wild fans a survey and they shared their views as to how they view this club going into the 2018-19 season.  Beyond surveying 5 Wild fans, I also surveyed one non-Wild fan in @DJ Ricky@IllaZilla is in this as well.  Check it out...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

No real surprises there for me, except for most everyone agreeing that the 26th ranking of the Wild's front office was about right. That means there are only five teams that are worse than the Wild.

Tough crowd...

Although I think most agreed that it was less of a reflection of Paul Fenton (and what he's done so far) and mostly about Chuck Fletcher.  No matter what, Fletcher and the decisions this team had committed itself to before his termination will continue to be an anchor for this squad.  IMO, that was another reason why re-signing Koivu and giving him a NMC drove me nuts.  It was an opportunity to at least unleash one of the immovable contracts.  Instead we re-attached the anchor and threw it back in the water.  

41 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Although I think most agreed that it was less of a reflection of Paul Fenton (and what he's done so far) and mostly about Chuck Fletcher.  No matter what, Fletcher and the decisions this team had committed itself to before his termination will continue to be an anchor for this squad.  IMO, that was another reason why re-signing Koivu and giving him a NMC drove me nuts.  It was an opportunity to at least unleash one of the immovable contracts.  Instead we re-attached the anchor and threw it back in the water.  

No doubt Paul Fenton should not have been part of that discussion. He's had zero chance to put his stamp on the club. People should have been looking at Risebrough and Fletcher. 

I didn't get to see the Athletic article, but it would be interesting to see what teams that have been consistently making the Playoffs were ranked worse than the Wild? Because isn't that what we heard constantly on the Wild boards: It's better to just keep making the Playoffs  (because anything can happen) rather than trying to tank for several years and get a shot at a Connor McDavid, because there's no guarantee he'll turn into anything?

I'm not saying the Wild should have been ranked top ten. But 26th just seems a bit low (to me) for a team that has been finishing top three or four in the Central Division and has made the Playoffs the past six seasons in a row. 

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

No doubt Paul Fenton should not have been part of that discussion. He's had zero chance to put his stamp on the club. People should have been looking at Risebrough and Fletcher. 

I didn't get to see the Athletic article, but it would be interesting to see what teams that have been consistently making the Playoffs were ranked worse than the Wild? Because isn't that what we heard constantly on the Wild boards: It's better to just keep making the Playoffs  (because anything can happen) rather than trying to tank for several years and get a shot at a Connor McDavid, because there's no guarantee he'll turn into anything?

I'm not saying the Wild should have been ranked top ten. But 26th just seems a bit low (to me) for a team that has been finishing top three or four in the Central Division and has made the Playoffs the past six seasons in a row. 

The poll surveyed fan confidence in their respective teams front office. From that I believe fans could have taken their opinions in a few different directions.

I think it's rather telling Wild fans honed in on their disappointment with how the front office deals with players as opposed to the results the players are making. What seems to be most noticeable are poor contract clauses along with repeated buyouts. It's formed a cloud that's more frustrating than whether or not they consistently make the playoffs.

While Wild fans know making the playoffs isn't necessarily an easy feat, they do know measuring our players against other teams once they get there has been consistently futile. Overall nothing has really been done to eliminate that fact.

The topper is continually letting players dictate what the team does. Organizationally this team is fragile.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

The poll surveyed fan confidence in their respective teams front office. From that I believe fans could have taken their opinions in a few different directions.

I think it's rather telling Wild fans honed in on their disappointment with how the front office deals with players as opposed to the results the players are making. What seems to be most noticeable are poor contract clauses along with repeated buyouts. It's formed a cloud that's more frustrating than whether or not they consistently make the playoffs.

While Wild fans know making the playoffs isn't necessarily an easy feat, they do know measuring our players against other teams once they get there has been consistently futile. Overall nothing has really been done to eliminate that fact.

The topper is continually letting players dictate what the team does. Organizationally this team is fragile.

Zero disagreements in this analysis...nailed it.  

Did coach really come out and say he's going to play Mikko on the third line? Or is this a case of the interview subject, Boudreau, responding to a reporter's leading question, like, "Can we expect to see Mikko on the 3rd line this year?" I missed the context here somewhere.......

10 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Did coach really come out and say he's going to play Mikko on the third line? Or is this a case of the interview subject, Boudreau, responding to a reporter's leading question, like, "Can we expect to see Mikko on the 3rd line this year?" I missed the context here somewhere.......

It was something that was hinted at by Russo, but until I see it and they stay with it...until then I will doubt it.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:32 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

It was something that was hinted at by Russo, but until I see it and they stay with it...until then I will doubt it.

Agreed I'll believe it when I see it. Also if we do see it I bet the vets will surely have something to say about it.

58 minutes ago, DevinWieser said:

^^Koivu will sure want to speak a few words with Bruce....he will not like that.

I highly doubt BB is the least bit afraid of Mikko.  He wasn't afraid of Selanne.   Without a doubt the organization over-hyped Mikko over the years, claiming him to be something he obviously wasn't - a quality  NHL 1st Line Center, an NHL Star - but I'm of the opinion that message board people have concocted an Oliver Stone quality conspiracy theory about Mikko's say in running the team.  Put on the tin hat or Mikko will control you!!!!

If not Mikko as the regular 2nd Center, than who????

Wild Fans Speak 2018-19 Edition: Part 3 of 3

The last part features some projections about this upcoming season in regards to where it will finish.  How do these 5 Wild fans and one non-Wild fan see the season shaking out?  Enjoy.  

As far as the Mikko Koivu / Oliver Stone theory?  Nope, not nearly as convoluted but has this team gone out of its way not to offend him or make him upset?  You bet it has.  Even Russo has said as much.  He noted that Mikko's line is always penciled in as the top line in the locker room even though most night's its not really the top line; but they make it that way to avoid getting him upset.  

There are plenty of examples how this team has danced around his ego.  I think the No Movement Clause was another glaring example of this.  Do I think Mikko has the control over this team the way Suter and Parise do?  Nope.  Those guys have the owner wrapped around their little finger.  Mikko is more like finding ways to placate the resident drama queen.   

Interesting discussion on Koivu.   IMO, who Koivu was and who he is now is significant.   If the Wild have any chance of advancing in the playoffs, they better hope JEE is ready to be at very least 2B center, and if not,  BB should move Coyle to center.   Koivu had an awful lot of playing time, particularly on the PP to end up with only 45 points. 

What I like about Koivu....is his defensive compete level.    What I like less.   The NTC and Russo's intimation of Koivu's need to be recognized as the #1 center.    Both, IMO...... are failures in management leadership.   

4 hours ago, 4Check said:

Interesting discussion on Koivu.   IMO, who Koivu was and who he is now is significant.   If the Wild have any chance of advancing in the playoffs, they better hope JEE is ready to be at very least 2B center, and if not,  BB should move Coyle to center.   Koivu had an awful lot of playing time, particularly on the PP to end up with only 45 points. 

What I like about Koivu....is his defensive compete level.    What I like less.   The NTC and Russo's intimation of Koivu's need to be recognized as the #1 center.    Both, IMO...... are failures in management leadership.   

I agree.  Eriksson Ek better be ready for the #2 center role sooner than later because this team needs to start transitioning away from the Finnish Care Bear stare.  I think there is potential for Eriksson Ek to do it, but they need him to play in such a way to compel the organization to keep him in that #2 spot because you know Koivu will probably throw a fit behind the scenes.  IMO, this is a test of how much of a team player Mikko really is; because I think he needs to recognize he's not that player anymore.  

Here is the start of training camp for the Minnesota Wild.

Minnesota Wild

Start date: Sept. 14
Team blog: Hockey Wilderness

Here is a link for the training camp dates:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/6/16262084/2017-nhl-training-camp-schedules-dates-locations

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree.  Eriksson Ek better be ready for the #2 center role sooner than later because this team needs to start transitioning away from the Finnish Care Bear stare.  I think there is potential for Eriksson Ek to do it, but they need him to play in such a way to compel the organization to keep him in that #2 spot because you know Koivu will probably throw a fit behind the scenes.  IMO, this is a test of how much of a team player Mikko really is; because I think he needs to recognize he's not that player anymore.  

Interesting additional possibility suggested by Custance's article in the Athletic.   His former coach David Quinn said his best position in the NHL likely would be center.    Looking forward to the future, I'm not sure any of them are #1 centers, but between JEE, Greenway, Kunin and Coyle, you'd think it would be easy enough to fill the 2C & 3C positions.  Hopefully Greenway surprises and ends up as a #1C.  Doubt JEE is a future #1 and am virtually certain Coyle and Kunin are not.

Edited by 4Check
poor wording

18 hours ago, DevinWieser said:

I'm surprised he is still the captain of the team...someone should make someone else the captain. I'm thinking Staal or Zucker.

I do not think it would be Staal. He has one year left on his team-friendly deal. Some other GM will throw crazy money at him this summer, and the Wild will not have the cap space to compete. Or if the team becomes sellers at the trade deadline, he could potentially be moved for picks/prospects.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 4Check said:

Interesting additional possibility suggested by Custance's article in the Athletic.   His former coach David Quinn said his best position in the NHL likely would be center.    Looking forward to the future, I'm not sure any of them are #1 centers, but between JEE, Greenway, Kunin and Coyle, you'd think it would be easy enough to fill the 2C & 3C positions.  Hopefully Greenway surprises and ends up as a #1C.  Doubt JEE is a future #1 and am virtually certain Coyle and Kunin are not.

Interesting point on how he felt it forced Greenway to be more assertive and less lazy while playing center than on the wing where he mentioned he could be soft on some of his board battles.  He felt the center spot forced him to use his skating / mobility more.  Wonder if Boston guy Fenton will take Quinn's comments to heart or if the organization has already sold him that Greenway is a wing prospect only.  

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I do not think it would be Staal. He has one year left on his team-friendly deal. Some other GM will throw crazy money at him this summer, and the Wild will not have the cap space to compete. Or if the team becomes sellers at the trade deadline, he could potentially be moved for picks/prospects.

I agree with this, unfortunately we decided to tie our money into Finnish Care Bear Stare instead....

If some of you think the Club just started to dance around Koivu since last year you're only kidding yourself. For years Russo has hinted at certain instances causing differences among players and has literally said he's not going to name names. I firmly recall during Yeo's second year raking Russo over the coals because he was 'in the know' about certain issues, said as much too. Likewise everyone knew if he named names he'd be committing a death sentence between him and the entire team.

Yep, so that crap goes back 6 years now and it's highly likely it started before Yeo became head coach. Simply put, Lemaire had a grasp on Mikko but no wasy did Todd Richards or even Mike Yeo when he initially became head coach. So in reality it probably started at least 8 or 9 years ago.

22 hours ago, hunter wieser said:

but they are saying on wild.com that Staal may be signing a new contract sometime around mid October, so Staal could be the captain for the Wild instead of god damm Koivu. Koivu is like a (pos). he played like **** last season if you do not recall that.

Not sure they will have the cap space next season. They are projected to have around $10M. Not sure Staal would sign a team friendly $3M extension based on the last two seasons he's had. But maybe he will because he wants to play and retire here close to family...

22 hours ago, hunter wieser said:

but they are saying on wild.com that Staal may be signing a new contract sometime around mid October, so Staal could be the captain for the Wild instead of god damm Koivu. Koivu is like a (pos). he played like **** last season if you do not recall that.

Really?  You needed to remind me that Koivu's game slid quite a bit, including his faceoffs?  Wow, never knew that...thanks for sharing.  

With the average age climbing with this team can they really keep another guy his age around?  Is that smart?  While I've enjoyed Staal's play with the club, the team already made its bed with Finnish Care Bear stare instead.  I absolutely hated it when it happened and I hate it more each day.  But if he's here another 2 years can you really sign Staal to a 3-year or 4-year deal?  You could, but then what other younger player are we going to lose?  Granlund?!  

As it is right now.  

Parise 34 yrs old (signed until he's 41)

Koivu 35 yrs old (signed until he's 37)

Suter 33 yrs old (signed until he's 40)

Dubnyk 32 yrs old (signed until he's 35)

Staal is 33...if you give him a 4 or a 5 year deal which is probably what he'll be seeking then you have a player until his late 30's.  That's a pretty sizable chunk that will be in the grayhair category of their NHL careers.