Wild Fans Speak 2018-19 Edition

CreaseAndAssist

but if anyone does recall who they were please let me know, but if staal was captain imagine how good the team could be, plus with fenton as our new gm we could possibly have a god daam good team, plus we may end up winning the stanley cup. #stanley cup in minnesota. 

Every few years the injury bug hits goaltenders and so far Dubnyk's remained pretty healthy and reliable in that regard. It's interesting no one mentioned how significant our #2 goalie needs to be this year. As much as I hate to say it the odds of an injury bug hitting Dubnyk are increasing with as much as they play him. Stalock better be prepared to pick up more games and be a lot more consistent.

Aside from that Dubnyk needs to stop coughing up easy goals. IMO he's never going to get any better but spelling him more might decrease some of those nasty lapses. Overall every player needs to be more consistent but these two net-minders are going to be our Achilles heel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hunter wieser said:

but if anyone does recall who they were please let me know, but if staal was captain imagine how good the team could be, plus with fenton as our new gm we could possibly have a god daam good team, plus we may end up winning the stanley cup. #stanley cup in minnesota. 

Someones needs to calm down

21 hours ago, hunter wieser said:

let's hope that it will not be granlund, because two years ago he was part of the dream line, along with two other players, i don't recall who the other two were.

Not only will Granlund be due for a raise ($6M+?), the following players will also be due:

Spurgeon will be up for a new contract. Let him walk or give him an extension, probably in the $5M/year range? He brings a lot to the Wild blue line and the Wild really don't have anyone that could step right into his spot if he leaves. Maybe Belpedio, but that's asking an awful lot of a rookie...

Ericksson-Ek and Greenway. Do these guys get a bridge deal ($1-2M/2yrs), or do they get a standard deal ($3M/3yrs)?

If Coyle returns to 60+ points, he'll want something like Granlund and Niederreitter got ($5M+)

And then there's Soucy and Belpedio in Iowa.They'll be due a raise, probably in the $1-2M range.

At some point the Wild need to stop signing these veterans to make the core of the team and let the younger players be the core. UFA's should complement the core of the team, not be the core of the team...

It might be interesting to see if signing Fenton was a move to stop signing veterans well beyond their prime.

Dating back it seems the Wild have shown (in several cases) a reasonable blind loyalty to veteran players and it's really put a damper on growth for potentially decent players that in due time they can't seem to afford them.

While the Wild see Koivu, Parise, Suter and more recently Dubnyk and Staal as what's left of their 'core leaders'... Which had included Heatley, Vanek and Pomminville... The real core of the team lies with Granlund, Zucker, Spurgeon, Coyle, Nino, Dumba and Brodin... With Haula, Tuch, Reilly and Graovac turning into expendable assets and newer players like Ek, Kunin and Greeway desperately needing to step up before even locking up a roster spot in permanent roles.

Make no mistake about it, this club needs to base their decisions on players who are The real core of this team.

23 hours ago, hunter wieser said:

let's hope that it will not be granlund, because two years ago he was part of the dream line, along with two other players, i don't recall who the other two were.

THe line combination was Zucker, Granlund, and Staal

Edited by DevinWieser

On 9/13/2018 at 2:14 PM, rottenrefs said:

It might be interesting to see if signing Fenton was a move to stop signing veterans well beyond their prime.

Dating back it seems the Wild have shown (in several cases) a reasonable blind loyalty to veteran players and it's really put a damper on growth for potentially decent players that in due time they can't seem to afford them.

While the Wild see Koivu, Parise, Suter and more recently Dubnyk and Staal as what's left of their 'core leaders'... Which had included Heatley, Vanek and Pomminville... The real core of the team lies with Granlund, Zucker, Spurgeon, Coyle, Nino, Dumba and Brodin... With Haula, Tuch, Reilly and Graovac turning into expendable assets and newer players like Ek, Kunin and Greeway desperately needing to step up before even locking up a roster spot in permanent roles.

Make no mistake about it, this club needs to base their decisions on players who are The real core of this team.

I don't think Fenton was a move to stop signing veterans. I think it was the natural progression after the team fired Yeo when the team was in danger of missing the Playoffs. Yeo was Fletcher's guy, and he failed. So Fletcher brings in Boudreau, the team scores 100+ points in the season, but once again stumbles in the Playoffs, losing to Yeo's Blues. The following season Fletcher is now on the hot seat. It's his team, his new coach. Boudreau did his job again, getting the team to 100+ points. But once again, the Wild fail in the Playoffs. Granted Fletcher had no control over Niederreitter's, Coyle's or Suter's injuries.  But that's irrelevant. The team didn't progress, fans were unhappy, so Fletcher had to go.

I think the Wild are caught in a vicious cycle. In order to hand the team over to the younger players, they need to give them more ice time and responsibilities. And that means there is going to be mistakes and a learning curve. But that may lead more losses and not making the Playoffs. Which the owner insists on. So they keep playing the veterans to make the Playoffs. Which cuts into the ice time and development of the younger players. The younger players don't develop, the veterans get worse, and your left with a mediocre team that makes the Playoffs, but bows out right away. Wash, rinse, repeat...

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2018 at 9:02 AM, IllaZilla said:

I don't think Fenton was a move to stop signing veterans. I think it was the natural progression after the team fired Yeo when the team was in danger of missing the Playoffs. Yeo was Fletcher's guy, and he failed. So Fletcher brings in Boudreau, the team scores 100+ points in the season, but once again stumbles in the Playoffs, losing to Yeo's Blues. The following season Fletcher is now on the hot seat. It's his team, his new coach. Boudreau did his job again, getting the team to 100+ points. But once again, the Wild fail in the Playoffs. Granted Fletcher had no control over Niederreitter's, Coyle's or Suter's injuries.  But that's irrelevant. The team didn't progress, fans were unhappy, so Fletcher had to go.

I think the Wild are caught in a vicious cycle. In order to hand the team over to the younger players, they need to give them more ice time and responsibilities. And that means there is going to be mistakes and a learning curve. But that may lead more losses and not making the Playoffs. Which the owner insists on. So they keep playing the veterans to make the Playoffs. Which cuts into the ice time and development of the younger players. The younger players don't develop, the veterans get worse, and your left with a mediocre team that makes the Playoffs, but bows out right away. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Bingo...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, IllaZilla said:

I don't agree that the Wild has ignored their younger players--they have been giving the young guys more ice time and responsibilities over the past 4-5 years, and they've paid almost all of them.  Nino, Dumba, Zucker, Brodin, Granlund have been paid, Spurgeon will be--tells me they are viewed as part of the core of this team. Ek, Greenway, Seeler have moved into the mix and more is going to be expected of them this year. I know some of the old guard is still around, but that doesn't mean they have forgotten who the future of this team is. Yes I know the 4th line could probably start collecting social security. It does appear to me that Fenton and co are more willing to shuffle some of the younger guys from Iowa into the lineup more often than they have been.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:02 PM, hunter wieser said:

A couple years ago it was Zooker-Mikko-MiG.   They were one of the best lines in the NHL for a long stretch.   Pretty sure Zucker had an insanely high +/-.   It was the year after Zucker had a bad year dealing with injury.  I think he got hurt in the outdoor game against Chi and was never the same for the rest of the season.  But he bounced back big the next season, much of it on the line with MiG and Mikko.  I have a memory of The Hockey News having a "Best Line in the NHL" list/story and Zucker-Mikko-Granlund were pretty high on the list.

• 6 months later...

The Wild may be giving younger players more ice time, but they're not growing or doing themselves any favors by hiding them among old vets who don't have much left in the tank anymore.

Almost every successful NHL team has a range of Captains and their Alternates that span across their age gaps. The Wild have zero young players or mid range (age) players in those roles.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

The Wild may be giving younger players more ice time, but they're not growing or doing themselves any favors by hiding them among old vets who don't have much left in the tank anymore.

Almost every successful NHL team has a range of Captains and their Alternates that span across their age gaps. The Wild have zero young players or mid range (age) players in those roles.

This is 100% spot-on analysis.  No passing of the torch and including anyone in Leadership except those that cannot ‘lead with their play.’  These players; 20, 11, and 9 also have attitudes that have NO BUSINESS in leadership roles.  We actually traded in mid range players (at least at F) that might consider as mid-range leadership.  This team is f@&$ed up in a BIG way.  

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

So...when Koivu retires after next season you think there's going to be a knife fight between 20 and 11 for the C?

I am sure neither 11 nor 20 care enough to give a rat's azz for a letter on their Jersey.  Contrary to all the conspiracy theory haters, you'd be hard pressed to find two guys who are less egomaniac prisma donnas than Zach Parise and Ryan Suter.  I've talked to Parise a couple of times.  He's the antithesis of an arrogant jock.  I've talked to friends of Ryan Suter and his Dad, they are almost caricatures of quiet, shy mild mannered Midwesterners.  With "fans" like the current day posters on internet boards, the old school trolls aee obsolete

• Like 2

On 9/12/2018 at 10:15 PM, rottenrefs said:

Every few years the injury bug hits goaltenders and so far Dubnyk's remained pretty healthy and reliable in that regard. It's interesting no one mentioned how significant our #2 goalie needs to be this year. As much as I hate to say it the odds of an injury bug hitting Dubnyk are increasing with as much as they play him. Stalock better be prepared to pick up more games and be a lot more consistent.

Aside from that Dubnyk needs to stop coughing up easy goals. IMO he's never going to get any better but spelling him more might decrease some of those nasty lapses. Overall every player needs to be more consistent but these two net-minders are going to be our Achilles heel.

The message above was written by Rotty last September, but still is actual/important for this team. It seems both Achilles heels were badly beaten by "rattle snakes" and provided their(Dubnyk’s and Stalock’s heels) inconsistency to be focused on boosting team’s winning confidence. Any modern successful team should start first with a most consistent goaltenders. Same happened with a Chicago team this season where inconsistent goaltenders did not helped that team enough to get into a playoffs despite of a much much better production in comparison to our team’s production (270 goals vs ours 211). Same happened with Arizona team - as soon as Kuemper was injured Arizona lost a real chance to get into playoffs. 

IMO our drafts should start first with the best scouting of a consistent goaltenders.

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

So...when Koivu retires after next season you think there's going to be a knife fight between 20 and 11 for the C?

You've followed this team for a long time.  I read this and think you're feeding/patronizing the trolls.  I guess I must be naive, but I didn't think you bought into that silly hater group think.

17 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I've talked to Parise a couple of times.  He's the antithesis of an arrogant jock.  I've talked to friends of Ryan Suter and his Dad, they are almost caricatures of quiet, shy mild mannered Midwesterners.  With "fans" like the current day posters on internet boards, the old school trolls aee obsolete

Interesting post.

I've talked to a few Minnesotans who have met them and they say, more or less, the same thing about those two, though I've never met them personally.

12 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

You've followed this team for a long time.  I read this and think you're feeding/patronizing the trolls.  I guess I must be naive, but I didn't think you bought into that silly hater group think.

Which trolls would those be?  The trolls that have placed $ and time into the team and watched them fail over and over, and have finally had enough of the status quo?  BTW:  I have played golf with a few of those people you mention.  Though I am not saying any of 11 and 20 (or the father's before they passed)  are bad people, we have a right to expect more at that level of pay and responsibility - it goes with the job and pay.  Too bad if you don't like people's opinions.  Who made you the decorum police?

That Suter, Parise and Staal actually don't want to lead this team is part of the problem.

The leadership that this team needs isn't who logs the most ice time, scores the most goals or hustles the most.

It is also not about playing with an injury.

It should be about sacrificing your own personal goals and playing for your linemates.

Doing the ugly stuff that wins games. Helping your teammates not give up when the going gets tough.

Right now I the only one I see doing any of that is Foligno.

Staal used to do that but seems to have stopped and he admitted he didn't want to captain again.

How they solve this mess is a Mistry.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

Which trolls would those be?  The trolls...

😂   yeah, without a doubt YOU!  who lead the team in goals and points and hustle? Only a total Hater Troll would deny that #11 Zach Pairise was the heart and soul and Leader of the Wild this season.  And goals? And hustle? And sacrificing himself for the team.

#20 Ryam Suter.  The current whipping boy for Hayer Trolls- don't look behind the curtain at all the points and TOI  against the other team's top lines.  And the funny coincidence that Dumba had career stats and Spurgie was way better paired with him...  Damn the facts, stick with emotional Hater Troll emotions.  

4 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

That Suter, Parise and Staal actually don't want to lead this team is part of the problem.

The leadership that this team needs isn't who logs the most ice time, scores the most goals or hustles the most.

It is also not about playing with an injury.

It should be about sacrificing your own personal goals and playing for your linemates.

Doing the ugly stuff that wins games. Helping your teammates not give up when the going gets tough.

Right now I the only one I see doing any of that is Foligno.

Staal used to do that but seems to have stopped and he admitted he didn't want to captain again.

How they solve this mess is a Mistry.

Emotional, irrational, unprovable subjective  drivel.  YOU make claims about leadership.  Not what I hear actual Wild players and Coaches say.  I have never heard anyone with team question Parise or Suter's leadership, in fact, the exact opposite.