A Take On Hakstol's First Three Years

Howie58

Greetings:

I hope the gang is having a good summer.  I saw this today and thought it was "fair and balanced" and incisive.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/9/4/17615332/analyzing-dave-hakstols-first-three-seasons-as-flyers-head-coach-stats-breakdown

My three takeaways:

1)  The comparison of Laviolette's heat map of shots relative to Hakstol's indicates that style or talent aside, Hakstol has allowed a great deal of shooting from the perimeter, which won't net you that much scoring in this league.

2)  On the talent front, we have to allow for the reality that he's had one elite D-line, and a pee-poor bottom six up front.  

3)  Consistent with point two, the talent excuse wears thin this year with the addition of JVR and maturation of the youngins.  I believe we'd have to consider the coming year a failure without a playoff series win.  

Best,

Howie

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

3)  Consistent with point two, the talent excuse wears thin this year with the addition of JVR and maturation of the youngins.  I believe we'd have to consider the coming year a failure without a playoff series win.  

I think it's a failure without a playoff berth for sure. As far as winning a round goes, it's hard to imagine it with our current crop of goalies. Also, Hakstol has yet to prove he can effectively out smart a more seasoned coach. Will he learn and find a way this year? I certainly hope so.

At any rate, making the playoffs should be a no brainer. Winning a series may be a lot to ask of both Elliott and quite possibly Hakstol. Bringing in Hart somewhere along the line would definitely make things more difficult to predict, but he'd still be a rookie goaltender even if he finds a way to sneak into the NHL. 

Elmatus:  I guess my friendly amendment on the goalie front might be if Neuvirth has a zone like he did two years ago against Washington, we might steal a series.  Hakstol's adaptability is a biggie.  He should be more adaptable at this juncture.  

Archived