MacDonald injured out 6 weeks

AJgoal

MacDonald injured, six weeks means he'll miss the first few weeks of the regular season. Might open the door a bit for Myers to get an early taste, though I suspect he won't see much game action if he's kept to start the season.

21 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

MacDonald injured, six weeks means he'll miss the first few weeks of the regular season. Might open the door a bit for Myers to get an early taste, though I suspect he won't see much game action if he's kept to start the season.

Wow, that is huge.  I think it is a great opportunity for Meyers.  Folin is the 7th d-man imo.  I do think they could split some time.  But I think that if Meyers is called up he will play.

However i could see the D break down as such:

Ivan Ghost

Sanheim Gudas

Hagg Folin

Will depend a lot on how Meyers looks come camp/preseason and he could still start the season in LV to give him more development time.

Wouldn't be the end of the world.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

However i could see the D break down as such:

Ivan Ghost

Sanheim Gudas

Hagg Folin

Will depend a lot on how Meyers looks come camp/preseason and he could still start the season in LV to give him more development time.

Wouldn't be the end of the world.

I hope they just pair up Sanheim and Myers and be done with it.

Ivan Ghost

Sanheim Myers

Hagg Gudas

When MacDonald comes back, slide out Gudas and put MacDonald in.  I'm not a big fan of the Hagg/Gudas pairing.  I like Hagg more than most on here, but I'm a bit concerned about the foot speed of that pair.

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Ivan Ghost

Sanheim Myers

Hagg Gudas

When MacDonald comes back, slide out Gudas and put MacDonald in.  I'm not a big fan of the Hagg/Gudas pairing.  I like Hagg more than most on here, but I'm a bit concerned about the foot speed of that pair.

Yeah not sure i want a guy with zero NHL experience playing with a guy who only has 49 games under his belt, and then tandemed on the 2 pair man that would be too much on two kids.

When they are ready or have shown they ready to stay up i would be ok with pairing them up but to start the year you could fry their brains.

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Ivan Ghost

Sanheim Myers

Hagg Gudas

I prefer splitting Hagg and Gudas because neither moves the puck very well, and it was apparent when they tried them together last season. Sanheim - Gudas was actually a better pairing last season than Sanheim - MacDonald. I reunite them and go Hagg - Myers or Provorov - Myers / Ghostisbehere - Hagg if you're worried about Hagg and Myers together.

This is a tough loss.  I know MacDonald is maligned quite a bit, but he is clearly a veteran leader and an important player on defense.  His metrics aren't the greatest, but it seems he's a steadying influence on the young guys. 

Does anyone think Hextall makes a move to account for the loss?  On one hand, I could see Hextall sign a veteran to a PTO contract for camp, if for no reason than to keep Myers focused and honest.  However, the remaining UFAs are brutal.  And I'm not sure a trade makes any sense.  Hextall does have cap flexibility, so he could take on an overpaid vet for a year.  I suppose Folin is here, but not sure he was plan A if a vet were to go down.

I kind of think this is a bigger loss than we expect.  

21 minutes ago, vis said:

This is a tough loss.  I know MacDonald is maligned quite a bit, but he is clearly a veteran leader and an important player on defense.  His metrics aren't the greatest, but it seems he's a steadying influence on the young guys. 

Does anyone think Hextall makes a move to account for the loss?  On one hand, I could see Hextall sign a veteran to a PTO contract for camp, if for no reason than to keep Myers focused and honest.  However, the remaining UFAs are brutal.  And I'm not sure a trade makes any sense.  Hextall does have cap flexibility, so he could take on an overpaid vet for a year.  I suppose Folin is here, but not sure he was plan A if a vet were to go down.

I kind of think this is a bigger loss than we expect.  

32 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I am happy about this.  Adding someone would have exacerbated the already crowded defense once everyone is healthy.  And it's not like there were a lot of viable options anyway.  In any event, I'd rather see young guys stepping in, even if it means the defense will struggle (at least in the early going).  One concern, I guess, is whether Myers can stay healthy assuming he makes the NHL roster.

Also, losing MacDonald creates a big hole on the PK.  Tough to overcome when they are trying to fix things there.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah not sure i want a guy with zero NHL experience playing with a guy who only has 49 games under his belt, and then tandemed on the 2 pair man that would be too much on two kids.

When they are ready or have shown they ready to stay up i would be ok with pairing them up but to start the year you could fry their brains.

I guess it was under the theory that they played together a lot in the AHL, but i agree with you. I think if they did it, they'd be the third pair. Frankly, I don't see Hakstol pairing them even on the fourth pair for the reasons you state. 

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Makes sense.  For some reason, I didn't connect that dots that MacDonald would probably only miss about two weeks of the regular season.  Granted, he will miss training camp and may struggle (more than normal) in the early part of the season trying to get himself in game shape, but no need to even think about going outside the org to fill his spot.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Makes sense.  For some reason, I didn't connect that dots that MacDonald would probably only miss about two weeks of the regular season.  Granted, he will miss training camp and may struggle (more than normal) in the early part of the season trying to get himself in game shape, but no need to even think about going outside the org to fill his spot.

The only down side and it's not that huge but TJ and Willcox would be subject to waivers once Mcdud is ready.

Meyers wouldn't be subject to them.

So in order to not risk losing them Ron could go with Meyers for that reason.

Alt got claimed last year when he thought he was safe to send down.

However very little threat of those two considering if they were to get claimed they would have to be on a NHL roster.

Yet Ron might not want to risk it.

They have limited D men in LV this year.

Archived