Golden Knights acquire Pacioretty

Brewin Flames

Canadiens trade Pacioretty to Golden Knights

The Canadian Press

The Stanley Cup runner-up Golden Knights announced the deal Sunday night.

Pacioretty was named the Canadiens captain in 2015 and has played all 626 of his NHL games with Montreal. Pacioretty recently denied reports that he had requested a trade. His name has been mentioned in trade speculation since last season's trade deadline.

The 29-year-old Pacioretty is entering the final season of a six-year deal that will pay him $4.5 million.

Tatar had 20 goals and 14 assists last season with Vegas and Detroit. The 27-year-old was acquired ahead of the trade deadline.

Suzuki was the 13th-overall pick in the 2017 draft by the Golden Knights.

IMHO provided they can get him signed this is a very solid move for Vegas. Tatar looked lost once he left Detroit, Suzuki is a god prospect but Vegas did not part with their top kid on Cody Glass.  I am unsure about giving up a second rounder because they gave up three picks to get Tatar in the first place but Max is clearly the class of the trade.

This is a nice deal for Vegas as Pacioretty will fit nicely on the top line vacated by Neal.  I think this move prompts Vegas back to the playoffs.  They have the cap space to give Max a nice raise too. Just saw that Pacioretty has only been making $4.5M with a good year he should be easily able to increase that to at least $7K for the rest of his career.

57 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Just saw that Pacioretty has only been making $4.5M with a good year he should be easily able to increase that to at least $7K for the rest of his career.

Damn 7K man you going to low ball him like that??? DAYUM!

This is a decent return for a guy with only one year left on his deal.

Rancid trade for Vegas IMO.  Pacioretty never seems happy.  While the pressure certainly will be far less than what he had in Montreal; the price they paid to acquire him was too high.  

Even if I feel Tatar is a bit of a dry well these days, giving up decent prospect in Suzuki and a 2nd rounder is bad enough for the Golden Knights.  McPhee better not offer Pacioretty more than 3-4 years in an extension.  

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Rancid trade for Vegas IMO.  Pacioretty never seems happy.  While the pressure certainly will be far less than what he had in Montreal; the price they paid to acquire him was too high.  

Even if I feel Tatar is a bit of a dry well these days, giving up decent prospect in Suzuki and a 2nd rounder is bad enough for the Golden Knights.  McPhee better not offer Pacioretty more than 3-4 years in an extension.  

Pax 4 years 28 million bucks. One final payday after giving Montreal a nice discount on his last deal.

Truthfully, I feel that MaxPax has been ruined by his time in Montreal, no centre to set him up, no decent winger usually on the other side, no other line worth a damn so the other team could always throw their top pair defenders out against him pretty much every shift. I have always seen him as a good soldier in an impossible situation, Marc Bergevin always seems to be hating on him. At this point I think the best days are behind him but:

He is better than Tatar.

Suzuki is a good prospect but several years away and he is GOOD, not great.

As for his extention, 4 years, 7 million per, meh, I wouldn't have done it but the Knights lost Perron and Neal on the wing and Tatar was a square peg in a round hole last year after coming over so winger was a big concern and they have the money. Adding Stastny and Pax likely takes them out of the Karlsson sweeps but he does long term fill a certain need. 

I actually like this deal for Vegas.

Pacioretty is NOT an old player and has a proven track record (putting aside last season) of being a 60+ point player.

Vegas' challenge this year is to follow up their unprecedented inaugural season, and MaxPac could very well feel rejuvenated having gotten away from murky Montreal.

Not to mention the Knights have many more line options where Pac can fit into....and he really doesn't have to be "the guy" in Vegas...although if he goes back to what he does best, he certainly can be.

Granted, Vegas gave up a big haul to get him, but honestly...who knows how Suzuki or whatever 2nd rounder the Habs come up with will pan out.
That is always the case with prospects and picks...we all know that.

As for Tatar, nice player, but not nearly in the same class as MaxPac.

Vegas still has plenty of good young players and established vets where they COULD follow up last season's run with another good one.

The $7M extension given Pac seems a bit high, but hey, Vegas had the cap space, and there are worse players in the league $7M could have been spent on.
A solid 1,1A or elite 2C type center isn't a bad place for them to drop bank roll.

• hf101 changed the title to Golden Knights acquire Pacioretty
1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Pax 4 years 28 million bucks.

As for his extention, 4 years, 7 million per, meh, I wouldn't have done it but the Knights lost Perron and Neal on the wing and Tatar was a square peg in a round hole last year after coming over so winger was a big concern and they have the money. Adding Stastny and Pax likely takes them out of the Karlsson sweeps but he does long term fill a certain need. 

He could have squeezed someone for an extra $2M over term ($7.5M) but this deal works for both sides. With the signing, and $9.5M in cap space with WKarlsson RFA at the end of the season, it gives them room to re-sign him and have money left over. Plus, Pacioretty has been hot for Vegas ever since the first time he played there. Pacioretty also gets another bite at the pre-35 contract.

But Your Vegas Golden Knights effectively for the next four years are built on (under contract): Pacioretty, WKarlsson, Reilly, Marchessault, Stasny (3yr), Miller, McNabb, Fleury. Nearly half the roster built around a core that went to the Cup Final it's first year together.

The draft picks are worrisome, but your whole 50-man roster is a bunch of mid- to high-level prospects from other organizations and you're working with a theory that your picks will be low in the round anyway.

I know the entry draft system sucks in many ways for existing teams, but you've got to hand it to the NHL for learning from the experiences in places like Miami and Columbus - if you can make an expansion team competitive out of the gate it gins up interest in the fanbase out of the gate. That said, I'm glad the filthy K-nig-its didn't win the blasted Cup in their inaugural season.

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wayne Simmonds is taking not of this.....

I could see Wayne again going the Pacioretty way of really liking the place he's in. $7M wouldn't be outlandish, but the 4 year term is an important one. Setting Wayne up to get another pre-35 bite might not be such a bad thing for both sides - assuming Simmonds "wants to be a Flyer".

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

I could see Wayne again going the Pacioretty way of really liking the place he's in. $7M wouldn't be outlandish, but the 4 year term is an important one. Setting Wayne up to get another pre-35 bite might not be such a bad thing for both sides - assuming Simmonds "wants to be a Flyer".

I'm good with. He is a Flyer through and through and would hate to see him go. I would totally ok with a deal like this.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm good with. He is a Flyer through and through and would hate to see him go. I would totally ok with a deal like this.

OK, as I understand it, the age of the player the June 30 before the season is what determines a "35+" contract. Simmonds would be 34 (birthday August 26) in this situation. A four year deal could make a lot of sense and Pacioretty is a good barometer.

• 1 month later...

Archived