Yzerman out as Tampa GM

Brewin Flames

Steve Yzerman stepping down as Lightning GM; BriseBois to take over

•  

Days before training camp opens, the Tampa Bay Lightning are set to make a major announcement regarding general manager Steve Yzerman stepping down.

According to The Athletic’s Joe Smith, Yzerman will be moving aside and into an advisory role while assistant GM Julien BriseBois will replace him.

A 4 p.m. ET press conference on Tuesday has been schedule featuring Lightning owner Jeff Vinik, Yzerman and BriseBois.

Yzerman was named the Lightning’s vice president and GM in May 2010, four years after working in the Detroit Red Wings’ front office. He’s helped mold the team into an annual Stanley Cup contender through smart drafting, development and shrewd trades.

They’ve made the Eastern Conference Final in three of the last four seasons, reaching the Stanley Cup Final in 2015.

As Tampa’s progressed into the upper echelon of NHL teams, Yzerman has had to navigate the tricky waters of the salary cap.

Through various deserved raises for key pieces and team-friendly contracts, he’s managed to keep the Lightning’s core together and help keep the roster successful on the ice.

While many GMs around the league struggle with the balancing act of keeping a competitive team while keeping a budget in order, Yzerman has surpassed his peers in that department.

According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Yzerman will remain with the organization through this season, the final year of his contract. That, coupled with Red Wings’ GM Ken Holland inking a two-year extension last spring, will start the rumor mill that Yzerman could return to the organization where he spent all 22 seasons of his NHL career. (And, hey, there’s always Seattle…)

BriseBois, 41, has been in charge of Tampa’s AHL roster since joining the team in 2010 and has watched numerous players come through the ranks to form the backbone of the current NHL team. Their minor league sides have made three Calder Cup appearances and won the 2012 title under his watch. He’s been highly-regarded around the league and has found his name brought up often when many GM jobs opened up.

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow.

Must say i am shocked by this.

So is that it?? He has his eyes on the Red Wings job soon to be open??

Whynot just wait till then?

I was blown away by this, the first thing that came to my mind is wow, we have Hollands replacement now but....

Lots of speculation that their might be health concerns either him or a family member. I certainly hope not. I know Brisebois has been his assistant for years and is well thought of throughout the league, it is of course possible that the Bolts didn't want to lose him. Just the timing, literally days before camp opens that makes zero sense.

Well, this is huge news!  But it all makes total sense.  Brisebois has been sought after by several franchises, so what better than to keep him in Tampa.

Yzerman can take some time in an advisory role and then get ready for his next big role which will be the Seatle Kraken's GM.  -- book it. :ok:

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Well, this is huge news!  But it all makes total sense.  Brisebois has been sought after by several franchises, so what better than to keep him in Tampa.

Yzerman can take some time in an advisory role and then get ready for his next big role which will be the Seatle Kraken's GM.  -- book it. :ok:

Hmm...THIS scenario never occurred to me.....and it COULD happen....

However, if what Yzerman said to the media about his wife and children living and attending schools "up north", I don't think he specified where exactly, then maybe a return to Detroit (many have been calling for Holland to step down) is in the works somehow.

What a story that would be for him, Wings fans, and the NHL: 
The revival of the Red Wings.....with Yzerman at the helm (not Darren, mind you :shifty: ), doing for his home club what he has done for Tampa Bay.

Imagine an Atlantic division with an established Lightning team, duking it out with a fast, young talented Leafs squad, and Boston right there being the big ol ugly bully still.....Buffalo and Florida starting to stick their noses in contender's business...and the RED WINGS back to put teams on notice once again...

Could make the division one of the more interesting ones top to bottom to follow...…..DESPITE Ottawa and Montreal... :eyeroll:

Archived