McQuaid traded to NYR

Brewin Flames

Trade: Bruins ship Adam McQuaid to Rangers

The Boston Bruins were set to enter the 2018-19 season with four right-shooting defensemen on their NHL roster. 

Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo and Kevan Miller all had their spots in the lineup. But it was going to be tough to find a spot for rugged defender Adam McQuaid, so the Bruins decided to ship him out of town.

On Tuesday morning, Boston sent McQuaid to the New York Rangers for Steven Kampfer, a fourth-round draft pick in 2019 and a conditional seventh-round pick.

The 31-year-old has one year remaining on his contract at $2.75 million. That’s a significant amount of money for a player that probably wouldn’t have had a regular spot in the lineup.

This will be the first time in his NHL career that he’s going to play for another team. McQuaid was originally drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the second round of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, but he never suited up for them. He spent parts of three seasons with AHL Providence before joining the club in 2009-10.

Here’s a fun fact: When the Blue Jackets traded McQuaid to Boston in 2007, they received a fifth-rounder. Columbus then traded that fifth-rounder to Dallas. The Stars used that draft pick to select Jamie Benn

Kampfer, who is in his second stint with the Bruins, also shoots right, but his contract comes with a digestible cap hit of $650,000 (Boston can send him to the minors without facing any cap penalties).

In all, the Bruins will end up saving $2.1 million in cap space, which isn’t insignificant.

McQuaid has also had a hard time getting in the lineup/staying healthy over the last few seasons. Since the 2013-14 season, the veteran has played in more than 65 games just once (2016-17).

sojCtK4S_normal.jpg
Bruce Cassidy on Adam McQuaid:

“It’s tough to see him go...10 years we’ve been together, going back to Providence. Today was a tough morning...we’ll miss him.”

Strictly a money move for the Bruins, Kampfer as a 7d isn't really bad but the savings will allow them to sign a forward or two if needed, they have Winnick and Stempniak in on PTOs both are Cassidy types, two way forwards who are responsible in the defensive zone who can score a bit, this move likely allows them to keep one or both of them. For the Rangers, they get a solid bottom pair guy and wont have to rush Gilmour, Day or Hajek, they can ease them in slowly. Frankly I like it for both.

I agree with @yave1964….good "hockey moves" for both clubs.

Injuries have been significant in McQuaid's career, but yes, when he is on, he is a freight train out there and is a decent coverage guy...provided you don't ask him to cover the opposing top lines every night.

His foot speed leaves a bit to be desired, but again, if he is mostly working against bottom six talent, that hole in his game shouldn't be as prounounced.

Rangers, of course, are on a rebuilding phase....some feel they may not be relevant for quite some time, although I think they aren't that far off if certain guys pan out properly for them and King Henrik can keep things together (he doesn't even have to be elite anymore) just long enough for the Rangers to find their next number one guy...…….

I do like a few of their players up front to at least help keep the team competitive.

Hmmm.....maybe if King Henrik, in the midst of a good season, waives his NMC so the Rangers can send him to a contender while they get back valuable picks and/or prospects? It's an idea...

But anyways, McQuaid is a tough, gritty veteran guy who, if he can stay off IR, can certainly help stabilize a Ranger team that likely is looking to go younger....especially on D with the likes of Brady Skjei and Tony DeAngelo probably taking on bigger roles.

As for Boston, for the moment, their defensive depth is such that they can now use McQuaid's roster spot to sign guys or give some AHL or Jrs talent a look see.
Bruins really need to get faster overall as a team, something McQuaid really isn't despite his other good qualities, because if Boston wants to keep up with the kind of speed rivals like the Bolts and Leafs are gonna bring the next several years, then they need horses on the back end that can keep up...……...sadly for his fans, this means Chara's days pretty much have to be numbered as a Bruin, or perhaps even as a player.

Steven Kampfer is just a body right now....likely an AHL body.
He has been given several opportunities to grab a regular role with the Wild, Panthers, and Rangers and he just never quite could hang on to one.
He now goes back to Boston where he first broke into the league, but barring the Bruins having several injuries on their blueline, or barring Kampfer suddenly "breaking out", I don't expect him to be much of a factor for the B's.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I still find it strange that I took his cousin to prom in 1998 :)

I bet she was real good at forechecking the other girls making sure they were suitably kept away from her puck carrier, and thus you had a clear run to the punch bowl to get her drink and back...
:eyeroll::ph34r:

On 9/11/2018 at 2:53 PM, yave1964 said:

Strictly a money move for the Bruins, Kampfer as a 7d isn't really bad but the savings will allow them to sign a forward or two if needed, they have Winnick and Stempniak in on PTOs both are Cassidy types, two way forwards who are responsible in the defensive zone who can score a bit, this move likely allows them to keep one or both of them. For the Rangers, they get a solid bottom pair guy and wont have to rush Gilmour, Day or Hajek, they can ease them in slowly. Frankly I like it for both.

A money move or a roster move? I agree, the could use the cap space (which they doubled with the trade), but when you have Krug, Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, Miller, Grzelyck as your top 6, that's pretty good. Maybe if McQuiad stayed healthier, they would have considered trading some else. Oh, and they just brought in John Moore for basically the same money, and he is a little bit more durable. I think you move on from a guy who was going to sit in the press box a lot, and take the added cap space.

His deal is up after this season, so it's not like it helps them resign one of the kids or something. This seems like a straight up roster spot move, maybe with the idea they can bring in another player with the cap space (Erik Karlsson was traded two days later, and they could have fit him in with their cap situation).

• 5 months later...
Guest gilbert003
On 9/12/2018 at 2:44 AM, Brewin Flames said:

Even though he was often injured, the guy was a warrior who could throw hands...obviously this reeks of a cap dump, nothing more.

couldn't agree more... 

1 hour ago, gilbert003 said:

couldn't agree more... 

Agreeing that you couldn’t agree even more. Glad you are so agreeable on this topic which most may not find so agreeable.... don’t you agree?

I’m sure @ruxpin would agree with me here....

51 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Agreeing that you couldn’t agree even more. Glad you are so agreeable on this topic which most may not find so agreeable.... don’t you agree?

I’m sure @ruxpin would agree with me here....

I agree to agree provided that by agreeing to agree we are agreeable to agreeably agreeing.  Agreed? 

Archived