Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
Brewin Flames

Blue Jackets hand Tortorella two-year extension

Blue Jackets hand Tortorella two-year extension

By 

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Hidden Content

•  

John Tortorella was about to head into training camp as a “lame duck” coach, but the Columbus Blue Jackets made sure that that wouldn’t be the case.

On Wednesday morning, the Blue Jackets announced that 

Hidden Content

. The new deal will keep him behind Columbus’ bench through the 2020-21 season. Could you imagine how awkward it would have been for reporters to continuously ask Tortorella about being the final year of his contract?

Uncomfortable situation avoided!

Despite not having much success in the playoffs under Tortorella, the Jackets have still put together some impressive seasons. And whether hockey fans like it or not, that counts for something.

“Our team has been one of the winningest in the NHL over the past two seasons and John Tortorella has played a critical role in that success and in raising the level of our team’s play since his arrival,” GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a release. “His passion and commitment to being the best has permeated our team and we believe will lead to even greater success in the future.”

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Further to last Tweet …

Put another way, since the puck dropped on Oct. 7, 2000, the Blue Jackets have never gone more than two years, 11 months without firing their coach or general manager.

Kekalainen has been in place since Feb. 14, 2013.
Tortorella since Oct. 21, 2015.

Hidden Content

•  

The Jackets have won 95 games over the last two years. In each of those seasons, they flamed out of the playoffs rather quickly, as they dropped an opening-round series to the eventual Stanley Cup champions (Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals). Of course, the 60-year-old 

Hidden Content

for his team’s 50-win effort during the 2016-17 season.

You’d have to think that the team would have to have some kind of success in the playoffs if Tortorella is going to stick around throughout the whole length of the contract (or if he wants to earn another extension eventually).

@Brewin Flames

I like it. A lot.

I live in central Ohio and although a lifelong Wings fan I go see the CBJ regularly with my wife and daughter, both Jackets fains fairly regularly. He has given the team an identity, hard as nails on defense, great goaltending and gritty forwards. I know a lot of folks don't care for his schtick but in an era of cookie cutter press conferences where everyone sounds the same he is a breath of fresh air IMHO who at least has personality. He can coach, the team has a swagger that they never had before and I feel he is a large part of that. Of course if Panarin and Bobrovsky leave after the season as UFAs all bets are off, lol, but for now I feel his personality can be seen on the ice in this young and fun to watch team. Glad he has been resigned, he deserves it.

Awards