Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

I almost forgot but this tweet reminded me. I was expecting more from Ratcliffe last night too and he was barely there the only reason i noticed him was he was the biggest guy out there....but he really brought not much of nothing.

So this may not be good...

However a good sign for the kid who is playing for a contract...

So stay tuned maybe more to be sent back to juniors...

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting re: Zamula:

He went undrafted, was invited to Calgary's development camp, then was not invited to their training camp.

Myers went undrafted, was invited to Calgary's development camp, then was not invited to their training camp.

55 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but from what i saw last night from him and sure it was one preseason game but he has leaped over Sanheim to me.

It's possible. I wouldn't be shocked to see both make the team. As I mentioned, I even put Myers on the top pairing with Provo. I think he could be that good. I'd put Sanheim on the third, with the understanding that he could play anywhere really. It really is an embarrassment of riches.

The idea of Provo, Ghost, Sanheim, and Myers all reaching such high potential is borderline absurd to me, but here we are...

18 minutes ago, elmatus said:

As I mentioned, I even put Myers on the top pairing with Provo. I think he could be that good

I agree and he was good last night, not trying to get ahead of myself with one game but if he can bring size speed and skill on the backend i am trying to ice the best team they can.

And worst case scenario is he shows issues and can be returned to LV without waivers.

And yes Sanheim could play on the 3rd and learn on the job.

The good news someone will be getting moved out i think.

Ivan/Meyers

Ghost/Hagg

Sanheim/Folin 

I put Folin on the bottom for now till Mcdud is ready.

This would allow them to move Gudas if they feel like it....or play Gudas and sit Folin. 

I though Zamula had a hell of a game last night and showed poise for an undrafted kid.   

Meyers is a lot of fun to watch and he is such a great skater for a big guy.  I think OR said it but he may have leaped Sanheim in the  depth chart but I am not willing to really commit to it after one or two games.  It is a bounty if both players were to make the team.  I will say that I think there is a heck of a lot to like in Meyers and he really asserted himself last night.  Heck of a game for the big kid...

Misha looked really good last night and showed some really good skill.  The more I watch the more I like of the kid.

JVR was a monster in front of the net... that first PP unit looks deadly.  I know this sounds crazy but it really looks like G is faster out there - his looks like he put in a lot of work in the off-season.

The bad - can we just stop with Weise?  Guy has hands of stone out there... bury him in the AHL.  Vech, to me anyway, is a NHL/AHL tweener at this point.   Ratcliffe is a big boy but I was not all that impressed with his outing.  He clearly needs more development time which is to be expected.  

6 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I know this sounds crazy but it really looks like G is faster out there - his looks like he put in a lot of work in the off-season.

He did have some pep in his step to bad he and NAK had to play with Weal as their center he was very very unimpressive...

...he got knocked off puck damn near every time i recalled and when he wasn't he was bobbling the damn thing. I am done with the Weal experiment he just confirmed what i already knew he belongs in the AHL or on another team.

9 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Vech, to me anyway, is a NHL/AHL tweener at this point.   Ratcliffe is a big boy but I was not all that impressed with his outing.  He clearly needs more development time which is to be expected.

Yeah i'm afraid it is time to move on from Vex after this year if not during this year. Kid will be 26 mid year and just doesn't really bring much of anything from what i have seen. Too much talent in LV that is ready to pass him by.

Ratcliffe as i stated early didn't look ready at all pretty invisible if he wasn't so big. However as i posted above he and Frost were sent back to work on their game.

The Flyers have 3 guys mentioned by Ron who are ready to step in and help and can earn a spot this year maybe even.

Misha, NAK and Rubtsov and are all very defensively sounds form their young age which we know Hak loves.

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And yes Sanheim could play on the 3rd and learn on the job.

For sure, though I worry we may be selling him short already. Limited time on the ice and all, but Sanheim showed some serious promise last season. If you're a stats guy, it should be noted he had fantastic possession metrics, well above average and solidly in elite territory. If you're more into the eyeball test, there's this: 

I'm not saying he's suddenly become a franchise dman or anything, but he's definitely an NHLer with a very high ceiling. The thought of having him on the third pairing is ridiculous, but that's the situation we're in.

18 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not saying he's suddenly become a franchise dman or anything, but he's definitely an NHLer with a very high ceiling. The thought of having him on the third pairing is ridiculous, but that's the situation we're in.

agree... it is an odd situation but a very good one to have.  I still believe that Sanheim is going to be a very good player and I still believe he has the highest ceiling outside of Prov and Ghost.   Sometimes it takes more time with certain players... I still expect big things from Sanheim.  

8 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I am just not a fan of Weal.  He has talent and skill but I just dont see how he fits on this team.

He is a good fit for the Phantoms...that is it i'm afraid...just too small and gets blow down by the wind coming off a nearby skater...

...it was worth the try but let' move on...

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

This kid was all over the ice and despite his size out played a few Flyer forwards.

And i know Lehtera scored a goal but i think it is time for Ron to waive this guy and let his spot go to a kid who can actually play and help.

Besides if he is waived and not there then Hak CAN'T play him.

I want to ice 4 good lines. The new age NHL requires it to succeed let that time start now.

Giroux-Coots-TK

JVR-Patrick-Jake

Lindblom-Misha-Simmer

Raffl-Laughton-NAK

Weise Weal

Ivan-Ghost

Hagg-Folin

Sanheim-Meyers

Gudas

Mcdud-IR

Elliott

Neuvy

Looks good to me....

How about Carson Twarynski so far. I've been really impressed with his game. Keeps things very simple, has a heck of a shot, good size and some good wheels as well. I know some thought he was a middling prospect, but it looks like that he's a late bloomer and has really put his game together after his move to Kelowna last year. I know he's probably ticketed for Lehigh Valley, but I'm hoping that he'll get to play with some good offensive players like Varone. 

Archived