Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

How about Carson Twarynski so far. I've been really impressed with his game. Keeps things very simple, has a heck of a shot, good size and some good wheels as well. I know some thought he was a middling prospect, but it looks like that he's a late bloomer and has really put his game together after his move to Kelowna last year. I know he's probably ticketed for Lehigh Valley, but I'm hoping that he'll get to play with some good offensive players like Varone. 

I've really liked his game so far. He's got some sandpaper and a strong game along the boards.

I could see him making the 4th line this year if it weren't for the numbers game and guys ahead of him. 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

"The Flyers haven’t seen Laughton as a center yet in training camp and love what they’ve seen from him as a left wing. "

This may be telling if true. It would certainly help his chances of making the team; and frankly, he had more than his fair share of chances at seizing a bottom six centre position. The fact he isn't considered the defacto front runner is because he's never proven he can handle it. But as a LW, that could be a different story.

If he's penciled into a bottom six LW role -- let's say the fourth -- that would leave mostly Vorobyev and Weal for the 3C. I understand Rubstov has been rising a bit too, but I don't think he has enough traction at the moment to beat Vorobyev. Why Weal is even still in consideration is baffling to me, but I guess I'm not an NHL coach.

25 minutes ago, elmatus said:

"The Flyers haven’t seen Laughton as a center yet in training camp and love what they’ve seen from him as a left wing. "

This may be telling if true. It would certainly help his chances of making the team; and frankly, he had more than his fair share of chances at seizing a bottom six centre position. The fact he isn't considered the defacto front runner is because he's never proven he can handle it. But as a LW, that could be a different story.

If he's penciled into a bottom six LW role -- let's say the fourth -- that would leave mostly Vorobyev and Weal for the 3C. I understand Rubstov has been rising a bit too, but I don't think he has enough traction at the moment to beat Vorobyev. Why Weal is even still in consideration is baffling to me, but I guess I'm not an NHL coach.

Well then it would come down to either Weal or Lehtera for the 4th line center duty then.

I guess if I had to choose between those two I go for Weal then...gulp...out of default.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well then it would come down to either Weal or Lehtera for the 4th line center duty then.

I guess if I had to choose between those two I go for Weal then...gulp...out of default.

Yeah, it's not ideal for sure.

That said, potential this year is remarkable. Most NHL teams have -- if they're any good at all -- one elite line, one above average line, and then a bottom six that has some mixture of NHLers and guys who really shouldn't be in the league.

In our case, while a lot remains a question of untapped potential, that potential could amount to as much as two elite lines and a third that is above average. Even if our fourth is just a rotating bunch of whatever, that's still better than many other teams going.

Of course, none of those guys are stopping pucks, but it's still a lot to like.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I'd argue that the reason Laughton hasn't nailed down a bottom-6 center role has actually very little to do with Scott Laughton. Laughton was the second most effective center on the team last year during the first half, though he was jumped by Patrick once he got healthy. He consistently played on the right side of the ice. His shooting percentage wasn't bad, but the overall shooting percentage was low when he was on the ice (Leier, Weise, Raffl, and Leier didn't score much), despite that, he still scored at a middle of the pack rate for NHL forwards. He also had the worst on-ice save percentage among the centers on the team, despite having very good shot suppression numbers, even when measured against the league as a whole. So his goal rate was terrible, despite all other metrics pointing to fine defensive work. His PK numbers were very good, yet he was dumped on the pk in favor of Lehtera and Filppula, who were woefully ineffective in that role. So is that on Laughton, or the coaches?

In an ideal world, I think he's a better fit at wing than center, where he can utilize his speed and shot more, but if you're looking at all the options out there, he still merits consideration at the center position. 

6 hours ago, brelic said:

I've really liked his game so far. He's got some sandpaper and a strong game along the boards.

I could see him making the 4th line this year if it weren't for the numbers game and guys ahead of him. 

If management and coaching are willing to waive Lehtera, then he'll have a spot locked up. However, you never know what Hextall and Hakstol are willing to do because you know they play favourites and Lehtera is a favourite. Even after watching how painful it is for him to keep up with the play, you know that they'll find a spot for him.

As for Twarynski, he's looking like he's now entered the fray as a legitimate power forward prospect with the club. I get that Allison and Ratcliffe will be considered the top power forward prospects, but Twarynski is certainly in the mix with them now. There's some legit competition now. This is a great problem to have.

Really the only spots open are 3C and 4th line. So Laughton, NAK, Voryubov, Leier, Rubtsov, Weal, Lehterä, Weiss, and Raffl are fighting for those 4 spots.

I like Vorobyev and he has played well, but him centering a 3rd line of Lindbloom and Simmonds does not have much speed!

Well i think one thing is for sure.

The Flyers need to waive one of either Letera or Wiese....just no room and the Flyers have had kids who have outplayed.

I would lean almost towards keeping Wiese only because he isn't as slow as Lehtera.

Wiese with a terrible turnover on that 1st Ranger's goal WTF was he thinking passing that up center ice like that???

However Lehtera can play wing or center...but does it even matter if he can't keep up with the play.

And i would worry to much about the dead money if they waive Lehtera so much because it would still be dead with him on the ice.

It would be nice if you could find a taker in a trade if for no reason than to just move their contracts.

Lehtera is off the books after this year.

Wiese has another year to go....that made me nauseous just typing.

Man that Lindblom-Knight-Laughton line was on fire last night. 9 points and +9 in the 1st period alone!!! 

What a difference confidence can make in a players performance.

I'm think a 3rd of Lindblom-Misha-Simmer will be a nice line to give the top 2 lines a nice break.

Meyers and Zamula were the best two D men last night.

I can't see the Flyers not offering this kid a contract....man he has played a good game every time i have seen him this preseason.

And he is 6-3 and only 160???

Can't imagine how good he can be in 3-4 years once he continues to grow and put on some more muscle.

Elliott finishes with a 846% looks like he is in regular season form...SMFH. Terrible 2nd goal on him.

Carter finishes with 926%!

You tell me who gives the Flyers the best chance to win....i wouldn't do that to the kid.

So for the the first game Hart pitches a shutout in his 30 minutes of play.

In his 2nd game he gives up one goal on a 5 on 3 that was fluky and post a 946%.

So a good performance so far for the kid. Should have a good season for the Phantoms this year.

Carter Hart looks so calm in the net.

He's got that Matt Murray "pucks just seem to hit him" thing going on.

I've really been impressed by his play.

Truly, I don't know how long he will be a Phantom. You figure Neuvirth will get hurt in mid November, Elliot will be meh with a side of guhhh. That leaves only Lyon and Stolarz ahead of him on the the chart...just saying, that kid doesn't look like the NHL game is "too much" for him. 

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

.just saying, that kid doesn't look like the NHL game is "too much" for him. 

Agree.

The only caveat to that is the NHL workload as opposed to what he's used to in juniors.   For the sake of argument, say he plays the year in Lehigh.  He'll likely have one of Stolarz or Lyons to share the net with.  If he plays 40ish he's ramped up the workload and against presumably harder competition.

Now, on the Flyers he shares the net with Elliott (if healthy) or Neuvirth (unlikely.  He'll have hurt himself posting on Facebook). The bigger problem for me is this:   If Elliott plays "meh" and Hart starts out playing like he has and up to his potential, Hakstoolsample will ride him like an altar boy.   11, 12, 13 straight games?  How long until the 20 year old burns up or gets injured from fatigue?

All this to say that it's not Hart I don't trust.

But yeah, skill-wise and even with poise so far, the kid looks like he belongs.  Honestly, if you turned on the game and watched with no commentary and no only logos on the jerseys, would you know the goalie was only 20?

So is it just me or do we have some legit battles for 3C and the entire 4th line?

If it were  up to me, Vorobyev would be 3C with Lindblom and Simmonds. 

On the 4th, man, it’s tough. Laughton has been impressive so far, and Twarynski as well. I’d love to see something like Laughton/Weal/Twarynski and have Raffl as the 13th forward. Keep either Weise or Lethargic as the 14th and waive the other one. 

On defense, I’m wondering if Hagg might have played himself off the roster. You can’t convince me that he’s better than Myers. 

Provorov/Ghost

Mac/Myers

Sanheim/Gudas

Folin

Or AMac/Gudas and Sanheim/Myers, but something tells me that Hak might see Sanheim/Myers as too inexperienced to be a pair right now. 

However this shakes out, I’m encouraged with the talent level we have coming up!

1 hour ago, brelic said:

On defense, I’m wondering if Hagg might have played himself off the roster. 

I'll be sad about this because I really like the kid, but I don't think you're wrong. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Keep either Weise or Lethargic as the 14th and waive the other one. 

I'm thinking we could probably trade Weiss to Montreal for a 2nd round pick and an above average draft prospect. 

Or maybe to Ottawa. Him and Lehtera and Weal for Stone.  

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'm thinking we could probably trade Weiss to Montreal for a 2nd round pick and an above average draft pick. 

Or maybe to Ottawa. Him and Lehtera and Weal for Stone.  

@brelic

You know, I'm not actually sure what we'd do with Stone if we got him, but if  the Karlsson and Hoffman trades are any indication, it might only take a couple kids that frankly aren't going to make it here and a mid range draft pick or two.  Leier, Weal, and Vechione (sp?) and a 3rd and (or?) 4th in separate years. 

31 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@brelic

You know, I'm not actually sure what we'd do with Stone if we got him, but if  the Karlsson and Hoffman trades are any indication, it might only take a couple kids that frankly aren't going to make it here and a mid range draft pick or two.  Leier, Weal, and Vechione (sp?) and a 3rd and (or?) 4th in separate years. 

The problem with using the Karlsson and Hoffman trades as benchmarks are that Ottawa refused to trade with the East, do that drove the price down, not up. So, the first hurdle is Ottawa changing their mind about in-conference trading. Then, if Ottawa suddenly was willing to trade Stone to the East, those benchmarks go out the window. Now, Dorion and Melnyk are still bad at running a hockey club, but I don't think you'd pay as little as San Jose did to acquire either player.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The problem with using the Karlsson and Hoffman trades as benchmarks are that Ottawa refused to trade with the East, do that drove the price down, not up. So, the first hurdle is Ottawa changing their mind about in-conference trading. Then, if Ottawa suddenly was willing to trade Stone to the East, those benchmarks go out the window. Now, Dorion and Melnyk are still bad at running a hockey club, but I don't think you'd pay as little as San Jose did to acquire either player.

Yeah, the east thing occurred to me as I was writing. I really do think you make a trumping argument. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

@brelic

If we traded for Stone, I kinda think Simmonds has to be going the other way. It would just be too many cooks in the kitchen, and we'd end up with one of Lindblom, Simmer, or Stone on the 4th line. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

If we traded for Stone, I kinda think Simmonds has to be going the other way. It would just be too many cooks in the kitchen, and we'd end up with one of Lindblom, Simmer, or Stone on the 4th line. 

I agree. Completely. 

That's why the "I don't know what we do with Stone if we got him." 

There's not room. And I think they're almost gleeful about JVR and Simmonds parked in front of the net on two separate power play units (me too). 

So it doesn't work. 

I was kind of thinking that we actually have a similar package as San Jose.  AJ is right about the east thing, too, so between those two circumstances the idea is DOA. 

I agree none are surprises.   I guess the name that jumps out to me is Rubstov.  I didn't think he'd make the team but thought they might keep him a bit longer.

So, does he ever make the Flyers or is going to be passed and moved?

Archived