Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

Thought I'd start a Flyers training camp thread to discuss all the goodness that happens over the next 2-3 weeks. 

To start it off, it appears that TK will be on the PK.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/travis-konecny-philadelphia-flyers-penalty-killing-expanded-role-regular-season-20180912.html

If all goes well in training camp, Travis Konecny will have an expanded role with the Flyers this season.

Coach Dave Hakstol plans to give the speedy Konecny a look-see on the penalty kill, which struggled mightily last season, and also has him penciled in as the top-line right winger, where he spent about half of the 2017-18 campaign.

Hakstol's plans suit Konecny.

"I've played some PK. I played a little in junior, and I played in World Juniors, too," he said after an informal practice attended by most veterans in Voorhees on Wednesday, two days before camp officially opens. "I love the PK. It's a big part of the game. Teams that finish near the top have one of the best PKs, so I think it's important that guys buy in. It's going to be a good opportunity for me."

That almost seems to indicate a sure-thing 2nd line of JVR/Patrick/Voracek.

I'd love to see Lindblom/Frost/Simmonds in camp. Oskar and Morgan clicked really well last night, and Frost has that dynamic element to his game that could help his wingers pot a lot of goals. 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, brelic said:

I guess i'm ok with this unless it start to impact his production on the 1st line.

If the production is picked up more by the 2nd and 3rd line it shouldn't be a big deal.

However as i said if it appears to be dragging him and his impact on the top line then i would want to look at another option.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:00 AM, brelic said:

Thought I'd start a Flyers training camp thread to discuss all the goodness that happens over the next 2-3 weeks. 

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/travis-konecny-philadelphia-flyers-penalty-killing-expanded-role-regular-season-20180912.html

That almost seems to indicate a sure-thing 2nd line of JVR/Patrick/Voracek.

I'd love to see Lindblom/Frost/Simmonds in camp. Oskar and Morgan clicked really well last night, and Frost has that dynamic element to his game that could help his wingers pot a lot of goals. 

They need speed and a scoring threat on the PK.  Glad to see Konecny get the opportunity.  My biggest concern is that he hurts himself blocking shots.

That idea of that second line is really starting to grow on me, especially if Patrick takes a leap from where he left off last year.  

36 minutes ago, vis said:

They need speed and a scoring threat on the PK.  Glad to see Konecny get the opportunity.  My biggest concern is that he hurts himself blocking shots.

Totally agree. Wasn't there a game last year where he blocked a shot twice in the same spot, and he looked to be in pain? He's already become the most dynamic player on the team in terms of energy and skill. His motor never quits and he makes things happen because of it. 

36 minutes ago, vis said:

That idea of that second line is really starting to grow on me, especially if Patrick takes a leap from where he left off last year.  

Yeah, and they are split up that way in camp. 

Group 1 has Coots, G, and TK, and Group 2 has JVR, Patrick, and Voracek. 

Group 1 (9:15 - 11:30 a.m.)

Forwards

11 Travis Konecny
14 Sean Couturier
17 Wayne Simmonds
20 Taylor Leier
21 Scott Laughton
28 Claude Giroux
38 Corban Knight
40 Jordan Weal
42 Cole Bardreau
46 Mikhail Vorobyev
52 Greg Carey
63 German Rubtsov
65 Radel Fazleev
75 Pascal Laberge
76 Isaac Ratcliffe
81 Carsen Twarynski
82 Connor Bunnaman

Defensemen

9 Ivan Provorov
26 Christian Folin
43 T.J. Brennan
60 Reese Willcox
61 Philippe Myers
79 Egor Zamula
72 David Drak
73 Frank Hora

Goalies

37 Brian Elliott
41 Anthony Stolarz
79 Carter Hart

Group 2 (12:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.)

Forwards

12 Michael Raffl
15 Jori Lehterä
19 Nolan Patrick
22 Dale Weise 
25 James van Riemsdyk
36 Colin McDonald
39 Tyrell Goulbourne
44 Phil Varone
48 Danick Martel
54 Oskar Lindblom
62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
64 Maksim Sushko
68 Morgan Frost
74 Mike Vecchione
78 Matthew Strome
93 Jakub Voracek

Defense

3 Radko Gudas
6 Travis Sanheim
8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere
58 Zach Palmquist
59 Mark Friedman
77 James de Haas
86 Wyatte Wylie

Goaltender

30 Michal Neuvirth
34 Alex Lyon
67 Liam Hughes

24 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

On one hand, it makes some sense to try to even out the talent and have more than one defense pair. On the other hand, damn was that Provorov-Ghost pairing awesome to watch.

Interesting. Provo/Sanheim? 

The truth is Provo is so good any combination would probably work at an above average level. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's true of Ghost. I definitely feel Ghost benefitted from Provo last year more than the opposite (the PP notwithstanding).

Anyway, guess we'll see how things roll out. We can't forget Myers either. Another wildcard at the moment.

14 hours ago, elmatus said:

Interesting. Provo/Sanheim? 

The truth is Provo is so good any combination would probably work at an above average level. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's true of Ghost. I definitely feel Ghost benefitted from Provo last year more than the opposite (the PP notwithstanding).

Anyway, guess we'll see how things roll out. We can't forget Myers either. Another wildcard at the moment.

I know they tried getting Sanheim to play on the right, but it seems like they gave up on that. The problem with so many young guys is that I don't know who Hakstol would consider pairing together. I think my preference to start the season is:

Provorov - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

Hagg - Myers

Folin

But I could see Hakstol being reluctant to pair a rookie and a second year guy together, which is why he's rolling Folin with Provorov.

Provorov - Folin

Ghost - Hagg

Sanheim - Gudas

You could try Myers with Provorov and see how that goes, too.

I want to see Myers leave no doubt that he is a better player than Folin. I don't think beating out Brennan/Wilcox is enough to make the opening night squad. 

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

On that note:

Nice.

I'm hoping the kid makes it really hard on Hextall on who to sit/play/send back.

That only bodes well for the team.

The only concern i have with Meyers is durability.

I think the sky is the limit for his skillset.

I would love to really really watch this game today but i can't find anywhere to watch it.

Eagles also play at 1 so i will watch that.

But if anyone knows how to watch i would like to ask please post it here so i can try to watch both.

Thanks if you can.

The roster for the Isles game today:

DnLGfyOUcAAJ5Bj.jpg:large

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would love to really really watch this game today but i can't find anywhere to watch it.

The game isn't televised that I know of, unless we find and Islanders stream.  But we can listen to the radio broadcast.

The remainder of the team has a scrimmage in Voorhees at 8:30 AM today.

58 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The game isn't televised that I know of, unless we find and Islanders stream.  But we can listen to the radio broadcast.

The remainder of the team has a scrimmage in Voorhees at 8:30 AM today.

I have Gamecenter but it sucks they don't offer preseason coverage. Man I wish NHLnetwork would pick up the games.

I want some Flyers i don't care how unimportant the game maybe i just want to watch the kids play some.

@hf101

Flyers website claim they are going to live stream the game on their site.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-islanders-preseason-opener-roster-live-stream-and-more

I hope so. I think the NHL network will rebroadcast the game monday morning at 10:30 am.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

@hf101

Flyers website claim they are going to live stream the game on their site.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-islanders-preseason-opener-roster-live-stream-and-more

I hope so. I think the NHL network will rebroadcast the game monday morning at 10:30 am.

this may work also...

https://nhl-stream.com/live/new-york-islanders-live-stream/channel-1/

Sandstrom's opening night clips in loss...3-1....last goal an empty netter...

DnNrxipWwAAM5ZQ.jpg

https://www.shl.se/play/video/35627942

Both goals he gave up would have been hard saves.

A better chance against the 1st one going post to post but still a hard one won't fault him much there.

The 2nd one screened so really no chance to even see it.

Archived