Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, elmatus said:

Laughton on the top is likely more to keep the 2nd and 3rd as listed. They seem to be the way the season will start, so give them as much practice as possible. 

Honestly, I think the lines are largely set now. Lehtera just made things much easier, though I personally think he would have been sent to LHV anyway. 

Anyone who thinks Lehtera deserves a roster spot is on coke. 

Some food for thought..

Preds cut Tolvanen and send him to the AHL - and this is after setting rookie scoring records in the KHL last year. 

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-McCann/Last-Nights-SSR---Tolvanen-Sent-to-Milwaukee---What-Happens-Now/24/94974

I hope this young prospect is getting solid advice from his advisors because the simple fact is this; Tolvanen needs this time to develop into the kind of professional and the kind of player he can be. The impatience of youth is a minefield that Predators GM David Poile has to navigate his way through to have this player develop properly.

This is a difficult situation for such a young player. Tolvanen has not only succeeded, he has dominated at every level he has played… but… the NHL is different. Tolvanen has played on the smaller ice surface in his time with the USHL’s Sioux Coty Musketeers over two seasons, including a point per game season in 2016-17, so the smaller ice surface issue is not the issue. The issue is this is a 19 year old young man attempting to make the jump to the best hockey league in the world. The NHL is a completely different animal.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Preds cut Tolvanen and send him to the AHL - and this is after setting rookie scoring records in the KHL last year. 

Saw that and made the connection to Frost since I was hoping the Flyers were taking Tolvanen with that pic and was disappointed when they selected Frost.  Now, Tolvanen has to adjust to smaller rink size and North American game, whereas Frost doesn't have that problem.  But, Tolvanen has played against bigger players and probably tougher competition.  Either way, both have some developing to do.  Preds benefit from having the AHL option with Tolvanen, whereas the Flyers don't with Frost.

I'm hoping this last game versus the Bruins will be a dress rehearsal and they ice the lineup they plan to play against Vegas with.

This team has the skills they just sorley lack chemistry because it is lacking from the goal out.

No need for anyone to panic but they need to get on the same page quickly or this Vegas game they could get blown out.

6PGw4OG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Man that wipe out face plant turnover that lead to a goal by Mcdud is one of the worst i have ever seen even by him!

Can Provy score 20+ this year??? I think he can!!!!

Laughton slipped trying to get the puck ou the zone on the PK and the Flyers paid the price for the mistake.

Over all not a very impressive night with the mix squad. These guys needs to practice together and the team to be set.

Not sure if anyone saw Hextall drop the hint last night in his between periods interview about Misha making the team.

His response was he "knocked the door down" was pretty much a claim they have found their 3rd line center as you'll get from him.

Weal had his chance and has just looked pedestrian at best.

He may make the team however I can see Ron moving him sometime this year for something of value later in the year...Weal's value is dropping every day.

In fact Knight a Hak favorite could push him out the lineup as a whole.

Guess we'll see soon.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure if anyone saw Hextall drop the hint last night in his between periods interview about Misha making the team.

His response was he "knocked the door down" was pretty much a claim they have found their 3rd line center as you'll get from him.

Weal had his chance and has just looked pedestrian at best.

He may make the team however I can see Ron moving him sometime this year for something of value later in the year...Weal's value is dropping every day.

In fact Knight a Hak favorite could push him out the lineup as a whole.

Guess we'll see soon.

pretty confident we'd all be ok with weal dropping down and misha stepping up.

31 left on the roster.

Including the injured players Neuvy, Lyon, Laberge, Knight and Morin.

Sunday's lineup:

Claude Giroux-Sean Couturier-Travis Konecny
Oskar Lindblom-Nolan Patrick-Jakub Voracek
James van Riemsdyk-Mikhail Vorobyev-Wayne Simmonds
Scott Laughton-Jori Lehtera-Michael Raffl

Extras: Taylor Leier, Jordan Weal, Dale Weise.

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sunday's lineup:

Claude Giroux-Sean Couturier-Travis Konecny
Oskar Lindblom-Nolan Patrick-Jakub Voracek
James van Riemsdyk-Mikhail Vorobyev-Wayne Simmonds
Scott Laughton-Jori Lehtera-Michael Raffl

Extras: Taylor Leier, Jordan Weal, Dale Weise.

So I'm assuming here that it is Leier that will be waived.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I caught that.  He also said Carsen Twarynski was doing the same but (per your shout) he was sent down today.  

3 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I caught that.  He also said Carsen Twarynski was doing the same but (per your shout) he was sent down today.

I'm ok with Twarynski being with the Phantoms as he's going to get lots of minutes and will be a call-up.  Some seasoning in the AHL will be good for him.  Tonight already he scored a goal with the Phantoms. 

Vorobyev on the other hand as clearly won out the third line center position.  He showed he can move up in the lineup for injury replacement.  He also spent time with the Phantoms last season.  He's made the jump, and the Flyers will have a better 3rd line this season with him.

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Yeah Misha spent time in the KHL and in the AHL. 

Carsen needs some AHL time.

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

I'm ok with Twarynski being with the Phantoms as he's going to get lots of minutes and will be a call-up.  Some seasoning in the AHL will be good for him.  Tonight already he scored a goal with the Phantoms. 

Vorobyev on the other hand as clearly won out the third line center position.  He showed he can move up in the lineup for injury replacement.  He also spent time with the Phantoms last season.  He's made the jump, and the Flyers will have a better 3rd line this season with him.

I'm very happy about Misha. 3Cs are an important part of any playoff team. It's very hard to make any noise without one. Hopefully he can grow into the role and be the 3C we need. The Weal/Lehtera/Laughton carrousel was an unlikely option at best imo.

Lack of a good 3C was one of the biggest issues we had coming into the year (goaltending remains miles ahead as far as problems go mind you). 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

That’s very interesting. Flyers not at all happy with the defense outside of Provorov and Ghost. 

I'm down with Meyere starting in the AHL if that is what they want.

So it makes me wonder who will sit so he can play.

It has to be Mcdud they way he has turned the puck over lately.

I guess Folin could too but i think he needs to play to get familiar with the system and his team mates.

Mcdud has been here long enough to know what you see is what you get for Captain concede-the-blueline!

Archived