Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Slick pass by Vorobyev to set up Leier for that goal.

I love how Brickley tried to down play the smooth setup by the Pimp saying "not sure if that is where he was going with that...

...whatever...

To my eye Vorobyev looks like the 2c.  Now if you balance line 2 and 3 it just becomes semantics about which line is which.  IMHO he's outplayed Patrick.  VBV looks so cool with the puck and has great vision to find the open man.  Either way the Flyers are strong down the middle.  

I'd put JVR with Vorobyev.  JVR is a goal scorer and Vorobyev is more of a set up guy.  To me that would be a great combo.

24 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

To my eye Vorobyev looks like the 2c.  Now if you balance line 2 and 3 it just becomes semantics about which line is which.  IMHO he's outplayed Patrick.  VBV looks so cool with the puck and has great vision to find the open man.  Either way the Flyers are strong down the middle.  

I'd put JVR with Vorobyev.  JVR is a goal scorer and Vorobyev is more of a set up guy.  To me that would be a great combo.

I have to agree Misha has outplayed Patrick.

Kind of not what I had imagine he would have done since he finally got to train hard this offseason.

Hell I think Leier even out produced him this preseason.

And they had to move JVR off his line and he started to produce once moved away from Patrick.

As i said not very encouraging from the #2 overall i say.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So with the preseason in the books who on this team gets Matt Readed!?!?!

Sir Occ:

This is tough call and you ask the right question.  The drug allegations and high salary make Lehtera my first suspect.  Weise would be number 2.  Overall, it looks like we could really have some remarkable balance in the bottom three lines for as long as I can remember.  Leier has looked good.  Laughton is almost too frisky...got thrown out of the face off circle 3-4 times yesterday, but that may be a good sign. I suspect Patrick will come around.  Mr. V (I can't long Russian names) seems like a cool dude out there...I would love to see him coupled with a D-man on the power play.... 

I hate to say it but Dale has had what, 2+ seasons to show something.  My gut says he had his one "good" year in MTL and that's about it.  He clogs development.  I think the brass will be careful with Lehtera for a number of reasons, including due process, but his declining productivity is a reality.  

There is another possibility: Mr. Folin.   He has not distinguished himself in a mini-season filled with "tryouts." So I add him to the roster...of potential subtractions. 

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Sir Occ:

This is tough call and you ask the right question.  The drug allegations and high salary make Lehtera my first suspect.  Weise would be number 2.  Overall, it looks like we could really have some remarkable balance in the bottom three lines for as long as I can remember.  Leier has looked good.  Laughton is almost too frisky...got thrown out of the face off circle 3-4 times yesterday, but that may be a good sign. I suspect Patrick will come around.  Mr. V (I can't long Russian names) seems like a cool dude out there...I would love to see him coupled with a D-man on the power play.... 

I hate to say it but Dale has had what, 2+ seasons to show something.  My gut says he had his one "good" year in MTL and that's about it.  He clogs development.  I think the brass will be careful with Lehtera for a number of reasons, including due process, but his declining productivity is a reality.  

There is another possibility: Mr. Folin.   He has not distinguished himself in a mini-season filled with "tryouts." So I add him to the roster. 

I agree.

My selection would be Lehtera.

Folin too I agree could be but they like to take Dmen on their trip out West so you can leave the kids at home in the AHL to play.

Wiese could be as well.

However I go with the slowest least effect guy and that to me is Lehtera.

Spare Weal and Wiese and give Jori the waiver wire.

No one will claim him.

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree.

My selection would be Lehtera.

Folin too I agree could be but they like to take Dmen on their trip out West so you can leave the kids at home in the AHL to play.

Wiese could be as well.

However I go with the slowest least effect guy and that to me is Lehtera.

Spare Weal and Wiese and give Jori the waiver wire.

No one will claim him.

I actually think I waive Weise before Lehtera, and that does NOT mean I like Lehtera.  

I actually think that if they wanted to, Weise would be easier to move. Wouldn't get much for him but--unlike Lehtera--we would not have to pick up salary.  Probably a fourth round or later pick. 

I keep Lehtera because he can fill in at center or wing on the fourth line, even if none of it particularly well. Also, I wait until more of the snow forecast becomes available and simply nullify the contract. 

I have no guess on what the team actually does, but I would not be surprised to see Leier waived and both Lehtera and Weise stay. 

1 hour ago, Claude Monet said:

Yesterday was the only game I got to watch this pre season.

folin is awful and meyers is no where near ready. He reads the game too slow.

Meyers is close to ready. He was good but  not outstanding prior to his first demotion. However, he did play poorly yesterday. Looked like he was trying to play it safe, rather than play to his strengths.

7 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Meyers is close to ready. He was good but  not outstanding prior to his first demotion. However, he did play poorly yesterday. Looked like he was trying to play it safe, rather than play to his strengths.

Yeah my sample size was really small but he didn’t look as good as all the hype that has been going around. He def has the tools, that is for sure.

whst is he... 21 yrs old? Plenty of time to get up to speed.  At the worst I see him as a Coburn type player. 

Thanks for the reply 

• brelic unpinned this topic

I liked how Weal played vs Boston. He plays like that full year, I will be pleased. I also thought Leier looked "good enough" to waive Weisse. 

Pastranak can really skate, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him outskate an angle on Leier. 

I feel pretty good about the prospects for the defense going forward, right now there is a logjam with some guys that have played okay in the NHL in front of guys that could be better. I think as the season wears on we'll see some things shake out. I was pleasantly surprised by Mark Freidman's play. He was just kind of there keeping **** from happening for Boston, so he wasn't ZOMG lookit that kid , but he played effectively. Maybe he pushes Hagg to either improve or to the western conference. 

Really impressed by Vorobeyev's camp and preseason. The kid sees the ice like Giroux, he'll get better at the dot, he seems driven, & the puck is always around him...I reckon he and the competition for those 2 C spots is why Hextall didn't make a move to sign a middling FA. 

I hate Boston's announce team.  Could you imagine having to listen to those two assholes all the time ?  

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I liked how Weal played vs Boston. He plays like that full year, I will be pleased. I also thought Leier looked "good enough" to waive Weisse. 

Pastranak can really skate, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him outskate an angle on Leier. 

I feel pretty good about the prospects for the defense going forward, right now there is a logjam with some guys that have played okay in the NHL in front of guys that could be better. I think as the season wears on we'll see some things shake out. I was pleasantly surprised by Mark Freidman's play. He was just kind of there keeping **** from happening for Boston, so he wasn't ZOMG lookit that kid , but he played effectively. Maybe he pushes Hagg to either improve or to the western conference. 

Really impressed by Vorobeyev's camp and preseason. The kid sees the ice like Giroux, he'll get better at the dot, he seems driven, & the puck is always around him...I reckon he and the competition for those 2 C spots is why Hextall didn't make a move to sign a middling FA. 

I hate Boston's announce team.  Could you imagine having to listen to those two assholes all the time ?  

It was a fun camp this year, where we're really starting to see legitimate competition for spots. So much better than the Cousins and McGinn days of yore. 

I think our top 9 is pretty set

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/Vorobyev/Simmonds

Kinda thought Patrick looked meh throughout camp. I know it's only preseason, but G, TK, Voracek, JVR, and Lindblom all had dominant games and flashes of their top levels. Patrick didn't have that, imo. Vorobyev handily outplayed him. I'm confident Patrick will be fine, but it's also comforting that you could swap Patrick and Vorobyev and have just as dominant a middle six. Also, Vorobyev looked great on the top line and could definitely fill in if Couturier misses any time. 

The Flying Vees - vanRiemsdyk, Vorobyev, Voracek.

The 4th line is a bit in flux. 

Raffl/Lehtera/Laughton is my guess for opening night.

Leier and Weal as extra forwards. 

Weise to LHV.

On defense

Provorov/Ghost

Sanheim/Gudas

Hagg/AMac

Folin

That's my guess. 

Four of the first five games will be tough. Vegas x2, Colorado, San Jose, and Ottawa. I think we split with Vegas, beat Colorado and Ottawa, and lose to the Sharks (our home opener).

3-2-0 after first 5.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Kinda thought Patrick looked meh throughout camp.

This was my biggest concern (without talking about who is in net) guess i was expecting him to show he was healthy and in better shape than he has been in about 4 years as he claimed to be.

Let's pray he was holding back till it counts.

I was hoping he and Jake would show some good fire power and effectiveness and JVR didn't play well till move off his line.

I would think that had more to do with the new guy than Patrick but Jake didn't do much to impress either.

Well when they get to Vegas i hope they can flip the switch.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:50 AM, ruxpin said:

I keep Lehtera because he can fill in at center or wing on the fourth line, even if none of it particularly well.

Yeah i am coming around to yes agreeing with you because of Lehterable's ability to play the wing or center position even though he is slow.

Plus this is his last year and by playing him maybe you can showcase him in the bottom 6 and convince some team to trade for him later in the year for their playoff push as a vet in their bottom 6...highly unlikely maybe i would even take a 19th round pick for him...so yeah waive Wiese.

I like Leier as the last forward....he had a decent preseason/camp i thought this last game vs. Boston his best display, he can help on the 4th line and i thought he, Laughton and Raffl last year made a helluva 4th line last year till they broke them up.

Archived