Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The extra roster spot. Any possibility it means they're keeping either an extra defenseman or goalie for the trip west? 

Could they be getting ready for a move???

They have over 10 mill in cap space and they can't roll that over like in the NFL....you have use it or lose it.

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

13 forwards

7 defenseman 

3 goalies

23 on roster?

Who's the 3rd goalie? Neuvirth and Lyon are on IR, and so is Knight. 

Maybe leaving room for Knight when he returns?

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Who's the 3rd goalie? Neuvirth and Lyon are on IR, and so is Knight. 

Maybe leaving room for Knight when he returns?

I think that is why Ron waived both Leier and Wiese so when Neuvy is ready he is going to keep 3 goalies on the roster.

Once Leier and Wiese clear waivers they can still play on the Flyers one of them will actually go down (probably Leier) to the Phantoms the other (Wiese) will maybe be inactive and then when Neuvy is ready then Neuvy will be part of the roster.

Ron think maybe Stolie gets claimed or he doesn't want to waive him till he knows for sure that Neuvy can help and then risk Stolie to waives and then Neuvy hurt again before he can play.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Who's the 3rd goalie?

Neuvy isn't on IR he is skating again.

Should have said this my past post.

Elliott Stolie Neuvy as goalies.

Wiese and Leier can play and only have to be waived again in 30 days or after playing in 10 games.

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The extra roster spot. Any possibility it means they're keeping either an extra defenseman or goalie for the trip west? 

Theory Charlie posted was that night is going to make the team, and they're just doing the waivers now rather than try to slip somebody through when he's healthy

55 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Neuvy isn't on IR he is skating again.

Should have said this my past post.

Elliott Stolie Neuvy as goalies.

Wiese and Leier can play and only have to be waived again in 30 days or after playing in 10 games.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i am coming around to yes agreeing with you because of Lehterable's ability to play the wing or center position even though he is slow.

Plus this is his last year and by playing him maybe you can showcase him in the bottom 6 and convince some team to trade for him later in the year for their playoff push as a vet in their bottom 6...highly unlikely maybe i would even take a 19th round pick for him...so yeah waive Wiese.

I like Leier as the last forward....he had a decent preseason/camp i thought this last game vs. Boston his best display, he can help on the 4th line and i thought he, Laughton and Raffl last year made a helluva 4th line last year till they broke them up.

Depending on how things go, they could easily try JVR/Vorobyev/Voracek and Lindblom/Patrick/Simmonds. I don't think it would be a knock on either player if that happens, just trying to find the best fit for everyone. Patrick with either of those wing pairs could be filthy, and Vorobyev showed chemistry with every line he was on.

Btw, Vorobyev is a pick we got from the Hartnell/Umberger trade. Kind of fitting that 4th rounder Vorobyev is getting set to start his NHL career while Hartnell announces the end of his. 

I found this and just thought Hak's comments however maybe right....where is this critical judgement when needed for his "vets" when they f**k up?? 

“If you really want to break it down, he can do a little bit better in terms of his read on the first one — the tip at the side of the net," Hakstol said, "and the third one, that’s one that gets through him.”

Owen-Wilson-WTF.gif

Easy to be critical of a 20 year old i think. Yet when the vets need this tough love critique he skirts it it seems.

This is a flaw of Hak that just pisses me off at times.

Well, I guess we get tacit admission that the Weise wasn't an inspired hire.  Leier--has shown flashes he belongs.  Neuvy--I think he will break down constantly.  I have to believe Stolie is a better risk-reward candidate.  

28 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I have to believe Stolie is a better risk-reward candidate.

He could be. He just needs to play. Rinne was 26 till he got a chance in the NHL. Stolie is just 24 so let the kid play and see what he can do.

I would definitely let Stolie play the 2nd game in the first back to back games in October after the Sharks game. They have the Sens the only back to back of the month.

Hasn't "Stolie" been in the system for like 6 years!?......how long we suppose to wait for this guy to be "NHL Ready".....?

I think he (or Lyon) should be backing up Elliot BUT....I have no idea how he would look in the NHL. I've seen him play what, like 5 NHL games (if that..)? Has he ever started more than one NHL game in a row? (perhaps I'm just spacing on a long call up or something but I don't think so..)

I'm asking seriously. I've been watching almost every Flyers game for YEARS now and I feel like I couldn't tell you the FIRST thing about Anthony Stolarz except his name gets mentioned an awful lot and he had some knee issues.... (I don't follow the phantoms).

Someone with some goalie knowledge tell me the deal here! Cuz Michael Neuvirth is NOT the answer.....

I honestly can't understand why Stolarz wouldn't be given a shot at this point. Are we honestly saying he stands no chance to be better than the guy who had the 36th worst sv% in the league last season (among goalies with 20+ games)? And again, this is despite playing for a team who was in the top five at suppressing shots against all year.

He really doesn't have to be amazing here folks. He just needs to be better than that guy. He should be given every opportunity to show he can be better than that guy, because frankly that guy should be easily beatable. 

And if it turns out he is in fact worse than 36th overall in the league, then fine, we send him back down and really stop caring what happens to him on the wire. But at least give the kid a chance. As far as our goaltending is concerned, we literally have no where to go but up.

Interesting that both Dale Thief and Tyler Leier were waived and not Lehtera. 

One thing Jori has going for him is he is still pretty strong on the puck. Once he gets it or the puck miraculously finds it way to him he does hang on to it and then distribute it pretty well. 

Leier is a guy I was rooting for, he could probably catch on with a number of teams and could be a safe call up if he isn't claimed. 

Depends on how well Corbin Knight does once he is back from injury.  I think Knight has more skill the Leier, and competes just as hard. 

I predict zero interest in Dale Weisse. 0 interest. 

3 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Hasn't "Stolie" been in the system for like 6 years!?......how long we suppose to wait for this guy to be "NHL Ready".....?

Well there is no set pattern in which goalies develop. Each is different and should be treated as such.

The following are just random examples nothing more.

Roy played one AHL game at 19 after his team as done with juniors.

Holtby played in 132 AHL over parts of 4 years before making the AHL at 23 as a backup.

Rinne played a few years in the SHL before coming over and playing 145 games in the AHL finally being given a shot at 26.

And Stolie played juniors and then college hockey and has played only 108 AHL over 3 years and has dealt with a few injuries and is just 24. So yeah now would be the time to give the kid a look.

And that lies squarely on the coach and GM to give him a look and see.

He should have been given more games back when Mason struggled with a hand injury but Hak for whatever reason wanted to run Steve into the ground....and he succeeded.

So yes. Now is the time with 500 year old Elliott coming off a injury riddled year he should see once and for all can Stolie help or not.

Damn all the speculating and saying (not just to you but anyone) well it's hard to judge with him only playing 7 NHL games and all that crap...PLAY THE DAMN man....let him get some games then he'll have a chance.

So for once we know yes he can help or no his is an AHL goalie and nothing and let's move on.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

He just needs to be better than that guy.

Please just see my post above i agree. NOw is the time to give the kid his due. We know what Elliott is a so so older dude who will more than likely break down by the time they really need him....and yeah he struggles to make consistent stops to give this team a chance.

There is a reason the Flames booted and went with Mike friggin Smith....YIKES!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

I honestly can't understand why Stolarz wouldn't be given a shot at this point.

Flyers just claimed Pickard so he has to stay on the active roster now. So now what???

They waive Stolie??? Must mean they don't have faith in Stolie or are they going to keep three goalies up??

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well there is your answer to the Goalie question.  There is the veteran Goalie most were predicting.

Calvin Pickard has been claimed off of waivers today by the Philadelphia Flyers (home to a revolving door for goalies on IR). Pickard, 25, was acquired by the Leafs on October 6 last year in a trade with the Vegas Golden Knights. Vegas had taken Pickard in the expansion draft from the Colorado Avalanche.

Pickard played in only one game for the Leafs last season, but he was the number two goalie on the Marlies and finished 12th in the AHL in save percentage for goalies who had played at least 1,440 minutes.

Capture.JPG.69c98250964926a308c5219a2fce4036.JPG

Just now, pilldoc said:

Well there is your answer to the Goalie question.  There is the veteran Goalie most were predicting.

Calvin Pickard has been claimed off of waivers today by the Philadelphia Flyers (home to a revolving door for goalies on IR). Pickard, 25, was acquired by the Leafs on October 6 last year in a trade with the Vegas Golden Knights. Vegas had taken Pickard in the expansion draft from the Colorado Avalanche.

Pickard played in only one game for the Leafs last season, but he was the number two goalie on the Marlies and finished 12th in the AHL in save percentage for goalies who had played at least 1,440 minutes.

Capture.JPG.69c98250964926a308c5219a2fce4036.JPG

Yes so now do the Flyers keep 3 goalies or do they sneak

Stolie through waivers now with most of the rosters set??

So who knows what they do?? They could waive Stolie, Neuvy and Lyon if they want....it seems to be insurance in case one of them gets claimed or someone gets injured again....seems Ron has a plan and we'll have to wait and see...

Archived