Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

it seems to be insurance in case one of them gets claimed or someone gets injured again

I think that is the plan ....  had to chucked about this ....  "Neuvirth and Lyon aren't going to be injured forever (ok, Neuvirth maybe)"  :lol:    I think that was the plan all along ... to find a suitable back-up to Elliot knowing full well that Neuvy  will probably get hurt again, Lyon / Stolie would probably NOT make it through waivers, WITHOUT having to expose Hart to the NHL yet before he gets some experience in in LV.

Have to admit you can NEVER get a good read on Hexy....he plays with a poker face every day ......  And like a good chess player... I'm sure he had this thought process back in early September.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Have to admit you can NEVER get a good read on Hexy....he plays with a poker face every day ......  And like a good chess player

Yes and it's a good thing i think...sure frustrating for us fans sometimes but it is good for business.

So it looks like Mcdud will start the season on IR.

And if capfriendly is right they will travel with two extra forwards and 3 goalies...unless Ron makes another move.

You would think they would travel with an extra defenseman too.

Especially with them out west for a week or so.

I'm just ready for some hockey!!!!!!!

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS: Claude Giroux isn’t going to take over any all-time marks for the Flyers this season, but he’ll work his way up two important lists. First, Giroux will take aim at becoming only the fourth player in Flyers history to score 700 points for the franchise. He’s 23 points away, and will surpass Rick MacLeish on the way to the 700-point plateau. Second, Giroux should become just the second player to skate in 800 games for the Flyers. He needs to suit up in 62 games this season to hit that mark.

:cheers:

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS: Claude Giroux isn’t going to take over any all-time marks for the Flyers this season, but he’ll work his way up two important lists. First, Giroux will take aim at becoming only the fourth player in Flyers history to score 700 points for the franchise. He’s 23 points away, and will surpass Rick MacLeish on the way to the 700-point plateau. Second, Giroux should become just the second player to skate in 800 games for the Flyers. He needs to suit up in 62 games this season to hit that mark.

:cheers:

trade him now!

strip the C from his sweater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes so now do the Flyers keep 3 goalies or do they sneak

Stolie through waivers now with most of the rosters set??

So who knows what they do?? They could waive Stolie, Neuvy and Lyon if they want....it seems to be insurance in case one of them gets claimed or someone gets injured again....seems Ron has a plan and we'll have to wait and see...

I would hope they just waive Neuvirth and be done with the major reason we have instability in goal. 

He's the best goalie we have when he's healthy, but he never is, and that just causes a domino effect throughout the organization. 

And given the discussion in this thread - and reality check - that Hart could very well take 3-4 years before he's NHL-ready, I would prefer we have a few young, developing goalies over old, broken down ones. 

Pickard, Stollie, Lyon, and Sandstrom - surely two of those four can provide goaltending AT LEAST on par with Elliott? And with these guys, there's a chance they get better. 

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I would hope they just waive Neuvirth and be done with the major reason we have instability in goal. 

He's the best goalie we have when he's healthy, but he never is, and that just causes a domino effect throughout the organization. 

I agree it is time to cut bait with Neuvy.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

And given the discussion in this thread - and reality check - that Hart could very well take 3-4 years before he's NHL-ready, I would prefer we have a few young, developing goalies over old, broken down ones

Well depending on the outcome of this year no one besides Lyon has a contract beyond this year.

So they could at the end of the year bring back Elliot, Stolie or Pickard...or wave them all goodbye and go out and sign a new duo for the net.

It is good to have options.

Until they are given new deals this is a small list of guys who could be available:

Bob

Rinne

Varlamov

Mike Smith

Cam Talbot

Just to name a few.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2019/goaltender/ufa/

I don't think Blue Jackets will let Bob go of all the guys on the list.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Until they are given new deals this is a small list of guys who could be available:

Bob

Rinne

Varlamov

Mike Smith

Cam Talbot

Just to name a few.

I think we should sign Bob to a 9-year contract, and trade Hart to Columbus once he gets frustrated.

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think we should sign Bob to a 9-year contract, and trade Hart to Columbus once he gets frustrated.

I know you're joking and all but true story.

Neuvy (7) has more playoff wins than Bob (5)!!!

Bob: 3.49 gaa 891% 0 shutouts

Neuvy: 2.32 gaa 919% 2 shutouts

:hyper:

Let that sink in a minute...

#underachieving 

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bob

Rinne

Varlamov

Mike Smith

Cam Talbot

Nothing against Rinne, but do you really want an aging goaltender?  He will turn 36 this coming November and next year will be 37 ......  Just my two cents .....

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know you're joking and all but true story.

Neuvy (7) has more playoff wins than Bob (5)!!!

Bob: 3.49 gaa 891% 0 shutouts

Neuvy: 2.32 gaa 919% 2 shutouts

:hyper:

Let that sink in a minute...

#underachieving 

wow ... who knew! :thinking:

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Nothing against Rinne, but do you really want an aging goaltender?  He will turn 36 this coming November and next year will be 37 ......  Just my two cents .....

I'm not suggesting any of those just posting some of the guys who could be available...and that could change by then.

I want Ron to do what is best for the club and the kids.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not suggesting any of those just posting some of the guys who could be available...and that could change by then.

Oh .. I know you are not suggesting it... I'm merrily talking out loud here and I am sure there are many uninformed Flyer fans who would see that list and get upset that Hexy won't rush to sign Player X or Y.

19 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Oh .. I know you are not suggesting it... I'm merrily talking out loud here and I am sure there are many uninformed Flyer fans who would see that list and get upset that Hexy won't rush to sign Player X or Y.

Not a very attractive selection...

Talbot will be 32 .

Varlamov will be 31.

Bob will be 32.

Those maybe the top 3 choices...however it seems like just a reboot of going with Elliott a year ago-like-type of move.

Here to praying a younger of the 3 Stolie, Lyon or Pickard can show they are ready to help out.

Next year Hart and Sandstrom with be a duo in the AHL and will be there in case of emergency.

23 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

talking out loud here

However there is one other option.

Hextall could after evaluating all his current options go for an aggressive move an acquire another proven goalie who is currently under contract type of move with the nice bit of cap space they still have available.

Once again i'm not throwing a name in the hat now or anything just mentioning the option.

Holtby as an example at one time last year was mentioned as a subject of trade rumors. But since then he has won a Cup and they have moved on from Grubauer....so that isn't even an option i think right now.

But he is a great example of the type of move i am talking about. He is signed for 2019-20 at a 6.1 mill cap hit.

Just something to think about. Hextall will have topions and i'm sure he won't paint himself into a corner.

12 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Wow.  Martel just hit the lottery.

Big time! If it works out, great for him! He wasn't going to get much of a shot here in Philly. There was just no room for him... though I must say, TB seems to have *made* some room for him. 

Best case is he would have been on the 3rd line here, which would mean outplaying either Lindblom or Simmer. 

The difference in team philosophies really stands out here... 

i wonder if it doesn't matter who is in the spot on the other side of Kutcherov ?

Meaning the Flyers don't have a Stamkos and/or Kutcherov who are both mobile, good-sized dudes so player 3 doesn't need to be big just have some smarts (check), speed, (check) and some skill (check).

Martel has a MSL type game, I hope it works out for him, he's going to have to go into the boards and bird dog some pucks, he's a feisty player, I hope he holds up. 

I thought he was a tweener, wouldn't it be some **** if Weal is the tweener and Martel is Gadreau 2.0 ?

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The difference in team philosophies really stands out here... 

i wonder if it doesn't matter who is in the spot on the other side of Kutcherov ?

Meaning the Flyers don't have a Stamkos and/or Kutcherov who are both mobile, good-sized dudes so player 3 doesn't need to be big just have some smarts (check), speed, (check) and some skill (check).

Martel has a MSL type game, I hope it works out for him, he's going to have to go into the boards and bird dog some pucks, he's a feisty player, I hope he holds up. 

I thought he was a tweener, wouldn't it be some **** if Weal is the tweener and Martel is Gadreau 2.0 ?

I think the Flyers have that in Giroux and Couturier. It worked well with TK and Voracek last year. Granted, TK and Voracek have much more high end skill than Martel, so there's that. 

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Didn't know where else to post this... 

Wow from the AHL to the top line in the NHL.

I hope this doesn't blow up in the Flyers face always like the kid and said he should be given a chance and by that i meant more than they looked at him with really not much talent to work with.

And the fact that they got him for free could sting.

Archived