Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

Rubtsov may or may not make it, but he looked much less like the bust I was worried he would be after his poor year last year. Given some AHL time, he might become something. Don't think it will be here, though. Just no room.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

So, does he ever make the Flyers or is going to be passed and moved?

I think it's still too soon to call he just turned 20 in June and hasn't had anytime in the AHL we'll ask this again in a year or two.

Looks like many of the big guns will be in the lineup tonight according to Meltzer. 

Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Patrick, Lindblom, Provorov and Ghost. 

Also, Myers, Vorobyev, and Aube-Kubel. 

We might see something like

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Giroux/Vorobyev/NAK

Edit: According to the Phantoms page, no Giroux tonight.

http://www.phantomshockey.com/flyers-valley-roster-announcement/

Full roster will be released later today.

That's pretty interesting re: Knight. So either Hakstol is just saying the right things, or they really are willing to have the best players fill the roster spots and deal with the fallout. That could include waiving/moving guys like Raffl, Weise, Lehtera. 

Do you guys think they would do that? I can see waiving Weise OR Lehtera (but not both). I can't see them getting rid of Raffl - though I'd be ok with him as a 13th. 

Anyway, it's a good problem to have! 

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's pretty interesting re: Knight. So either Hakstol is just saying the right things, or they really are willing to have the best players fill the roster spots and deal with the fallout. That could include waiving/moving guys like Raffl, Weise, Lehtera. 

Do you guys think they would do that? I can see waiving Weise OR Lehtera (but not both). I can't see them getting rid of Raffl - though I'd be ok with him as a 13th. 

Anyway, it's a good problem to have! 

Or Knight is going to be his new Vandevelde since he too played for Hak at North Dakota.

Looks like tonight's lines will be -

van Riemsdyk-Patrick-Konecny
Lindblom-Vorobyev-Voracek
Raffl-Weal-Twarynski
Leier-Lehtera-Weise

Defensemen in practice were Provorov, Ghost, Hagg, Gudas, Myers, and Friedman.

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

Looks like tonight's lines will be -

van Riemsdyk-Patrick-Konecny
Lindblom-Vorobyev-Voracek
Raffl-Weal-Twarynski
Leier-Lehtera-Weise

Defensemen in practice were Provorov, Ghost, Hagg, Gudas, Myers, and Friedman.

The Flyers appear to be drawing down the roster and, just maybe, the best players might make the team. Let's hope!

Charlie also noted that that leaves nine d-men in camp: Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, Hagg, Folin, Sanheim (injured), MacDonald (injured), Myers, and Friedman. Friedman is unlikely to stick, so it seems as if Myers has indeed made at least the opening night roster. Whether he sticks once MacDonald is healthy is another story. I was a bit worried that they'd keep Brennan up given his point production so far.

At this point, I feel pretty good about the bottom six. Vorobyev seems to have grabbed the 3C lead and made it his to lose. That leaves five spots for Raffl, Laughton, Weal (my preferred 4th line barring surprises by:) Twarynski, NAK, Leier, Weise, and Lehtera. I just don't see how one of Weise or Lehtera isn't waived at this point.

HAKSTOL: "No, today if Neuvy is unable to go we'll provide a different and extra opportunity, so no it doesn't change the mindset. Neuvy was scheduled to start - if he does not, then that provides an extra opportunity for Carter tonight."

"Stolie has had a really good camp and has earned and deserved time, so we will split it in some way... That's a credit to him. There are areas that you watch and there's a little bit of rust there, but he's done a pretty good job of working through that and, again, that would be the domino. He's a guy that wasn't going to be in tonight that would get extra time and has an opportunity to go out and show more."

PROJECTED LINES AT PRACTICE:

25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
54 Oskar Lindblom - 46 Mikhail Vorobyev - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 40 Jordan Weal - 81 Carsen Twarynski
21 Tayor Leier- 15 Jori Lehterä - 22 Dale Weise

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Philippe Myers
3 Radko Gudas - 59 Mark Friedman

30 Michael Neuvirth / 79 Carter Hart / 41 Anthony Stolarz

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/pre-game-flyers-islanders-part-5--philadelphia-flyers/c-300303888

5 hours ago, brelic said:

The roster is whittling down.

I'm not surprised given the numbers situatio, but Martel actually played very well.  I think this may have been his chance to get one year in with the Flyers (a la Leier), but that window may have just passed by.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They are on waivers but they can still play on the Flyers.

This is true, but they also weren't at practice, which would seem to indicate they're moving on to Phantoms camp, which starts Sunday.

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

Neuvirth hurt:  

@BillMetzer - Neuvirth was bent over, stretching groin for a long time, slammed stick and walked off, spoke briefly to Sal Raffa and Jim McCrossin. He is now leaving the ice.

God damned XBox again!

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:
  5 hours ago, Digityman said:

Neuvirth hurt:  

@BillMetzer - Neuvirth was bent over, pucking his brains out, stretching groin for a long time, slammed stick and lucky he did not get a splinter and walked off, spoke briefly to  cursing profusing at Sal Raffa and Jim McCrossin. He is now leaving the ice.

there fixed it for you Bill ..... ;)

Stolarz kinda blew it on that penalty. Not a great decision. 

Vorobyev has made the team as 3C. I mean, it's clear, right? 

Voracek was up to his old antics again. The worst best 85 point guy in the league! 

Hart was solid, Myers played well, Gudas was physical, Twarynski was invisible. 

Friedman had a rough night. 

Kind of an up and down game, and that 4th line actually played well. But man, I just don't want to see that line in the season lol. 

Are we finally done with the Islanders?? I feel like I'm watching their training camp too. 

I say you go ahead and waive Stolie now so you can sneak him through waivers and then when the season starts he can just backup Elliott and then Hart can be sent down to start for the Phantoms.

Or Ron could wait till the other team's roster is set more and let him and Elliott split the last 3 games and Hart can get a majority of the time in net for the Phantoms for their preseason then waive Stolie after the last game and still let him start the season backing up Elliott.

Just not sure who on Reading will be called up to backup Hart.

And on the future of the club:

A testament of how good Ron has done with his time at a GM look at how deep this team/organization is and they are about to start the NHL season with over 10 million in cap space!!!!!!!!

That is right 10 million in cap space!!!!!!! HOLY SH IT!!!!! When has that ever happened???

This gives Ron a lot of room if he feels like to roll the dice on a big maybe short term player for a deep playoff push later in the year if he feels like they are close....guess we'll see.

Archived