Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Tampa claims Martel off waivers.

ya know....When I saw they had waived him I said to myself...."someone's gonna pick him up"

I agree though, I think Rubtsov deserves a better look. Martel has had his chances....

How long before Martel is scoring on the flyers while playing on a 4th line somewhere.....:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Tampa claims Martel off waivers.

Great now he'll score everytime we play them.

And Corban Knight as I said somewhere around here is the new "Vandevelde" since they were both his former pupils...

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And Corban Knight as I said somewhere around here is the new "Vandevelde" since they were both his former pupils...

If...if...he can help on the penalty kill, I'm okay with it.   So long as he's not reminding us about Thoreson, who just didn't have the balls.

I didn't realize that  the Lightning are now obligated to keep Martel on their NHL roster to open the season. He must spend 30 days or appear in 10 NHL games -- whichever comes sooner -- before he is eligible to be re-waived and assigned to the AHL if he clears. The clock starts ticking on Oct 3. 

Good for Martel.

For the first time in camp, right wing Travis Konency was reunited with frequent 2017-18 linemates Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier. The second line consisted of Nolan Patrick centering James van Riemsdykand Jakub Voracek; a trio that has practiced together as a unit several times during camp. 

HAKSTOL: "There's so much competition in certain areas. Today some of what you saw, no question has a chance and I want to give a couple of things a few days and a game together at least to see where we're at. Maybe we need more with certain combinations. Maybe we don't - that's why we have to go day by day, but we're getting closer."

On the third line, rookie hopeful Mikhail Vorobyev continued to be rewarded for his strong play in camp by practicing among the top-nine group of forwards. He centered Oskar Lindblom and Wayne Simmonds.

* A much-welcomed sight at practice on Saturday: Shayne Gostisbehere was on the ice throughout and seemed fine. He was taken out of Friday night's game at the PPL Center in Allentown for precautionary reasons.

* Simmonds is still on target on his post-surgery recovery plan. Although the alternate captain admitted that he is looking forward to playing and not just practicing, the process can't be rushed. His focus is on the day-to-day program that he's on and is following the prescribed steps.

SIMMONDS: "Yeah, but if I'm not 100 percent that's not the way it's going to go... We're on a plan, we're sticking to the plan and I'm not going to rush it."

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I didn't realize that  the Lightning are now obligated to keep Martel on their NHL roster to open the season. He must spend 30 days or appear in 10 NHL games -- whichever comes sooner -- before he is eligible to be re-waived and assigned to the AHL if he clears. The clock starts ticking on Oct 3. 

Good for Martel.

Agreed. good for Martel.

I hate to see assets given up for absolutely nothing, though.  It's a shame they couldn't have weaseled out a draft pick or something.

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

For the first time in camp, right wing Travis Konency was reunited with frequent 2017-18 linemates Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier. The second line consisted of Nolan Patrick centering James van Riemsdykand Jakub Voracek; a trio that has practiced together as a unit several times during camp. 

HAKSTOL: "There's so much competition in certain areas. Today some of what you saw, no question has a chance and I want to give a couple of things a few days and a game together at least to see where we're at. Maybe we need more with certain combinations. Maybe we don't - that's why we have to go day by day, but we're getting closer."

On the third line, rookie hopeful Mikhail Vorobyev continued to be rewarded for his strong play in camp by practicing among the top-nine group of forwards. He centered Oskar Lindblom and Wayne Simmonds.

* A much-welcomed sight at practice on Saturday: Shayne Gostisbehere was on the ice throughout and seemed fine. He was taken out of Friday night's game at the PPL Center in Allentown for precautionary reasons.

* Simmonds is still on target on his post-surgery recovery plan. Although the alternate captain admitted that he is looking forward to playing and not just practicing, the process can't be rushed. His focus is on the day-to-day program that he's on and is following the prescribed steps.

SIMMONDS: "Yeah, but if I'm not 100 percent that's not the way it's going to go... We're on a plan, we're sticking to the plan and I'm not going to rush it."

Good stuff. Honestly, the camp battles at forward are great this year. I love that they're pushing themselves. 

A top 12 of

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/Vorobyev/Simmonds

Laughton/Weal/Raffl (more likely)

or

Raffl/Laughton/Twarynski (less likely)

would be nice indeed! Easily the best top 12 the team has had in a long time!

I wonder how defense is going to shake out. I think a lot depends on how quick Sanheim comes back and how he looks in a game or two. Would they consider having Provo/Ghost/Sanheim/Myers/Gudas/Amac as the top 6? With Folin the 7th, and Hagg in LHV?

I doubt they'd waive Hagg because he will get claimed for sure. 

And in goal. 

Well. 

We went from 5 goalies to 3 pretty fast. Honestly, I would not be surprised by any opening night tandem they could throw at us. 

Elliott/Neuvirth?

Elliott/Stolarz

Elliott/Hart?

Neuvirth/Stolarz?

Lyon/Hart? ( :) 

What a crapshoot in goal!

Is it opening night yet?

56 minutes ago, brelic said:

Good stuff. Honestly, the camp battles at forward are great this year. I love that they're pushing themselves. 

A top 12 of

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/Vorobyev/Simmonds

Laughton/Weal/Raffl (more likely)

or

Raffl/Laughton/Twarynski (less likely)

would be nice indeed! Easily the best top 12 the team has had in a long time!

I wonder how defense is going to shake out. I think a lot depends on how quick Sanheim comes back and how he looks in a game or two. Would they consider having Provo/Ghost/Sanheim/Myers/Gudas/Amac as the top 6? With Folin the 7th, and Hagg in LHV?

I doubt they'd waive Hagg because he will get claimed for sure. 

And in goal. 

Well. 

We went from 5 goalies to 3 pretty fast. Honestly, I would not be surprised by any opening night tandem they could throw at us. 

Elliott/Neuvirth?

Elliott/Stolarz

Elliott/Hart?

Neuvirth/Stolarz?

Lyon/Hart? ( :) 

What a crapshoot in goal!

Is it opening night yet?

I'm cheering for a fourth line of

Laughton -- Knight -- Twarynski

Yeah, I know it won't happen. I have no interest in watching Weal, though. 

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Corbin Knight has already shown more scoring touch in 4 preseason games than Vandevelde did in 2 seasons. 

I think he'll be fine in his jabronie role.  Plus, if CK plays and Lehtera is ferrying popcorn that's a win .

That dude works, skates, hits, hating on him because of his college choice is stupid. His game is fine for his role.

58 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@ruxpin

Yeah, that place sucks (it doesn't, it's actually awesome there)... I do "sports hate" that institution with an intensity rivaled only by my hatred of the Pens, Rangers,  Yankees & Cowboys.

So my oldest daughter is dating/living with a guy who is a PSU and Atlanta Falcons fan.  I have no idea why a Falcons fan, but grew up about 25-30 miles from PSU. 

They moved to Ohio almost a year and a half ago.  So he's not a big fan of being in the shadow of Columbus (the Buckeyes are apparently big there). 

So last year for Christmas, I had gotten him a Matt Ryan jersey, which he'd opened first. My other daughter had gotten him --on purpose and as a joke -- a fleece Ohio State blanket/throw but wrapped it logo down.  The colors are very similar so he was really excited about his *Falcons* blanket until he turned it over and saw the OSU logo. 

It was hysterical. The change in reaction was 180° and reminded me of the video of the Flyers fan kid who was given a Penguins jersey. 

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

.  Plus, if CK plays and Lehtera is ferrying popcorn that's a win .

Can't argue with that and he has some decent wheels and size at 6-2 205. So yeah 4th line duty wouldn't be the end of the world.

However i want to start giving some of these kids some duty on the 4th line too and get them ready for the NHL too.

If Misha is in the lineup on the 3rd i will be happy with that. So i would love to get NAK some time on the 4th at least and i know he doesn't play center however kid is fiesty and will finish his hits and has speed and skill to add.

So myself if Misha is the 3rd line center i would like at least a 4th line of 

Raffl-Laughton-NAK 

Instead of a smaller less physical line with Weal at center on the 4th with Laughton and Raffl. 

This is the last year NAK can be sent down without risking losing him on waivers like they did with Martel it is time to see what he can do in a real NHL game.

If he isn't ready then you can just send him to LV...

Giroux-Coots-TK

JVR-Patrick-Jake

Lindblom-Misha-Simmer

Raffl-Laughton-NAK

--------------------------------------

Leier Weal

----------------------------------------

Lehtera Wiese sent down........praying someone claims one or even both would be awesome!!!!!!!

And then worse case if Coots ain't ready to go then and only then would i insert Weal into the lineup to move the centers around.

I would bump Misha up between Giroux an TK and just plug Weal into the 3rd that way the 2nd and 4th lines can stay together and work on their chemistry and when Coots is ready bump Misha back to the 3rd and scratch Weal.

Just my 2 cents......

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can't argue with that and he has some decent wheels and size at 6-2 205. So yeah 4th line duty wouldn't be the end of the world.

However i want to start giving some of these kids some duty on the 4th line too and get them ready for the NHL too.

If Misha is in the lineup on the 3rd i will be happy with that. So i would love to get NAK some time on the 4th at least and i know he doesn't play center however kid is fiesty and will finish his hits and has speed and skill to add.

So myself if Misha is the 3rd line center i would like at least a 4th line of 

Raffl-Laughton-NAK 

Instead of a smaller less physical line with Weal at center on the 4th with Laughton and Raffl. 

This is the last year NAK can be sent down without risking losing him on waivers like they did with Martel it is time to see what he can do in a real NHL game.

If he isn't ready then you can just send him to LV...

Giroux-Coots-TK

JVR-Patrick-Jake

Lindblom-Misha-Simmer

Raffl-Laughton-NAK

--------------------------------------

Leier Weal

----------------------------------------

Lehtera Wiese sent down........praying someone claims one or even both would be awesome!!!!!!!

And then worse case if Coots ain't ready to go then and only then would i insert Weal into the lineup to move the centers around.

I would bump Misha up between Giroux an TK and just plug Weal into the 3rd that way the 2nd and 4th lines can stay together and work on their chemistry and when Coots is ready bump Misha back to the 3rd and scratch Weal.

Just my 2 cents......

I'm okay with this, and my objection isn't about NAK.

I would prefer Laughton at LW.  I'm so over trying to make him a center.  That's my only issue with the lines above.

What would be the likelihood of Raffl being the 13th forward and going with a really inexperienced line of Laughton--Knight--NAK?  Raffl (and maybe Weal) would be the guys you float in to spot players on this line.   In this scenario, I guess Lehtera and Weis are sent to Lehigh or Weis is sent to Montreal for a first round pick and a prospect. :)

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Raffl-Laughton-NAK

I echo Rux with this,  we've seen Laughton in the pivot, he's good at the dot, but the rest is not as good as he is on the wing.

I 100% don't want to see Weal playing center either, let that guy go and be successful elsewhere.

I don't think that happens though. He just doesn't have all the tools needed for regular NHL duty. He plays physically until he gets hit, then he's not strong on the puck and rushing. I see his ability and his skill. He isn't elusive or fast enough to avoid being worked by larger dudes. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'm okay with this, and my objection isn't about NAK.

I would prefer Laughton at LW.  I'm so over trying to make him a center.  That's my only issue with the lines above.

What would be the likelihood of Raffl being the 13th forward and going with a really inexperienced line of Laughton--Knight--NAK?  Raffl (and maybe Weal) would be the guys you float in to spot players on this line.   In this scenario, I guess Lehtera and Weis are sent to Lehigh or Weis is sent to Montreal for a first round pick and a prospect. :)

@mojo1917

I would be fine with that.

Archived