Flyers Training Camp Thread

brelic

I don't get too uptight about 4th liners. If they decide to keep Weal I'd be ok with it because he seems to be the only one who can score in a shootout by beating a goalie with a shot.  So, all else being equal I'd keep Weal even though I wasn't a big fan of when he signed his two year deal.  Back then I just thought he had a nice run of points and probably played the best NHL hockey of his career and turned that into a two year contract.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/dave-hakstol-philadelphia-flyers-north-dakota.html

Pretty interesting article about the enigmatic coach.

I heard a phrase on the radio yesterday the "examined life".

Plowing through life's events only gives one experience, wisdom doesn't come from experience unless one reflects on what just happened.  

It strikes me that Hakstol is a person who is living an examined life.

Interesting article. 

4 hours ago, off_the_post said:

I don't get too uptight about 4th liners. If they decide to keep Weal I'd be ok with it because he seems to be the only one who can score in a shootout by beating a goalie with a shot.  So, all else being equal I'd keep Weal even though I wasn't a big fan of when he signed his two year deal.  Back then I just thought he had a nice run of points and probably played the best NHL hockey of his career and turned that into a two year contract.

I shouldn't get worked up over the 12th forward. But Hakstol's overuse of certain players in situations they're ill-suited for is what gets me worked up. Also, I think Weal is a more skilled guy, and I would prefer the 12 most skilled forwards, rather than plugs that fill a "role" that one of the other players could fill. I'm not a Weal lover, but he's the best of what's left, IMO.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

NAK and Myers reassigned to Phantoms.

Understandable. 

For NAK, he definitely doesn't beat out Laughton or Raffl (assuming Weal is 4C). He looked decent but still borderline.

For Myers, I suspect it's both a numbers game and also still needing some work. I know it feels like forever, but he's only 21. The vast majority of drafted defensemen are not in the NHL at 21, and this kid was undrafted. 

So is he better than someone in the projected top 6 right now? Maybe, maybe not.

Provorov/Ghost/Sanheim/Gudas/AMac/Hagg/Folin. 

The challenge, I think, is Hagg. He's not waiver exempt, and would most certainly get picked up. And they aren't going to have Hagg, Gudas or AMac as a regular healthy scratch. So, until an injury happens or someone is moved out, it's not in the cards for Myers right now.

I didn't see a lot of preseason action, but I thought Myers still needs some work.  He may have had a better camp than Hagg, but Hagg isn't waiver exempt.  Not sure Myers outplayed Gudas.  You know MacDonald isn't losing a spot due to injury.  Folin is ticketed as the 7th d-man.  They have a crowded defensive corps.  Maybe someone gets traded?

33 minutes ago, brelic said:

So who are those 6?

Clearly, Friedman and one of the goalies are gone.  Among the forwards, I think Goulbourne, Twarynski, Leier and Lehterable get waived.  I think Vorobyev has earned a spot and they seem to like Knight, which means Lehterable is the odd man out.  I really want to see more of Twarynski, but not sure where he would fit unless they move Laughton to 4C.  I doubt they want to risk losing Weal to a waiver claim, so he stays with the big club.  I think they keep Weise because they would rather have him sit in the press box and let the kids have ice time in the AHL.  Also, Weise seems to be liked in the locker room.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

unpopular move, i'm sure.

Yes not a popular.

But hey i'm all for letting them work on their games and maybe seeing them get a chance later this year.

Their time will come. Injuries always happen...that is when they must seize the moment.

So does the shorthanded sniper make the team???

I think one of Lehtera or Wiese needs to be sent down...my vote is buh bye Jori!!!

They are in trouble with this stiff in net...

I don't think he makes it through the year....

3 hours ago, vis said:

Clearly, Friedman and one of the goalies are gone.  Among the forwards, I think Goulbourne, Twarynski, Leier and Lehterable get waived.  I think Vorobyev has earned a spot and they seem to like Knight, which means Lehterable is the odd man out.  I really want to see more of Twarynski, but not sure where he would fit unless they move Laughton to 4C.  I doubt they want to risk losing Weal to a waiver claim, so he stays with the big club.  I think they keep Weise because they would rather have him sit in the press box and let the kids have ice time in the AHL.  Also, Weise seems to be liked in the locker room.

Those are my 4 cuts as well. Not necessarily what I would do, but what I think will happen.

Really, though, those guys will be the first call ups in the case of injuries or trade. 

Next year, spots open up from expiring contracts. Up front, they have Weal, Simmonds, Raffl, and Lehtera expiring. Neuvirth and Elliott in goal. And Folin on D. Of those, I think Simmonds and Raffl are the only two they may keep. Room for guys like Frost, Twarynski, Rubtsov, Allison, Hart, Sandstrom.

Too bad our defense is still logjammed. They have to move someone out (or bench a vet) to fit Myers. 

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So i wonder who will be in net next game....i would like to see Stolie get the start and play the whole game....

Not sure about Laughton as the top line center....but hey it's camp...why not give it a look...

Laughton on the top is likely more to keep the 2nd and 3rd as listed. They seem to be the way the season will start, so give them as much practice as possible. 

Honestly, I think the lines are largely set now. Lehtera just made things much easier, though I personally think he would have been sent to LHV anyway. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Lehtera just made things much easier, though I personally think he would have been sent to LHV anyway. 

Yeah i would have sent him packing regardless....someone has to go so he drew the short straw.

I'm hoping Coots is ready for opening night.

Right now the Flyers biggest concern and something we all should be use to by now is................in net!

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right now the Flyers biggest concern and something we all should be use to by now is................in net!

What problem?  We have Carter Hart.

Who has had the best record this preseason,  btw.

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

What problem?  We have Carter Hart.

Who has had the best record this preseason,  btw.

Sure but he needs to play in the AHL to start at least.

Remember its preseason and the squads he has faced have been a mix of NHLers and AHLers and junior prospects.

So most of the guys are not giving full effort.

So not to belittle his awesome performance he needs AHL time still.

He is only 20.

Let him earn it down there. It will sort itself out the cream always rises to the top.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Remember its preseason and the squads he has faced have been a mix of NHLers and AHLers and junior prospects.

Same for the other Flyers goalies and Hart has outplayed all of them.

If Hart gives the Flyers the best netminding to start the season then why waste his talent on the Phantoms?  

He shouldn't have to report to the Phantoms just because he is a goalie. He has demonstrated that he is ready and has outplayed all the other goalies.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So most of the guys are not giving full effort.

So not to belittle his awesome performance he needs AHL time still.

He is only 20.

Let him earn it down there. It will sort itself out the cream always rises to the top.

Exactly. And as solid as he has looked so far, what happens when he has a night like Elliott did the other night? He absolutely will have those nights. Much like Provorov did - the one against Chicago in his rookie year stands out. What if he has 3-4 of those nights in a row? 

For Provorov, all his mistakes don't necessarily end up in net. For Hart, it's not only his mistakes, but the team in front of him.

Hart sure sounds like he has been very well groomed and that includes mental toughness. But letting down your team and 20,000 fans and a whole city when they've been calling you the saviour since you've been a teenager is still a lot for a 20 year old to handle. 

I see absolutely no rush to move him from playing 15-20 year old kids straight to playing 20-40 year old men who are the best in the world at what they do. If he tears up the AHL, then sure, give him a taste and see how he responds. 

His time will come. 

For now, though... ugh. Elliott and Stoyvirth. Or Neularz. Whichever you prefer. 

34 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Same for the other Flyers goalies and Hart has outplayed all of them.

Sure no argument there.

34 minutes ago, hf101 said:

If Hart gives the Flyers the best netminding to start the season then why waste his talent on the Phantoms?  

So where do you draw the line at what is best for the club and what is best for the prospect???

If he proves him self down there the chance will come to get a call up.

This kid needs to be handled with care. Even Price started in the AHL.

That is where i send him.

Archived