Karlsson traded to the Sharks

Brewin Flames

gettyimages-685781772-e1536854237165.jpg
Getty Images

Erik Karlsson dealt to Sharks as Senators continue roster teardown

•  

The long-awaited Erik Karlsson traded has finally been completed and the talented defenseman and prospect Francis Perron are heading to the San Jose Sharks. In return, the Ottawa Senators will receive Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, plus two conditional picks.

Here are those details on those picks:

screen-shot-2018-09-13-at-2-49-01-pm-e15

Sharks general manager Doug Wilson went hard after John Tavares in free agency, but struck out and moved on to extending key pieces in Logan Couture, Joe Thornton, Tomas Hertl and Evander Kane. He wanted a “difference-maker,” and in acquiring the 28-year-old Karlsson, certainly achieved that goal.

San Jose’s blue line will now feature Karlsson, Brent Burns and Marc-Eduoard Vlasic, a very solid trio, while their top power play unit will be something to watch with the newly-added Swede.

“It’s extremely rare that players of this caliber become available,” said Wilson. “The word ‘elite’ is often thrown around casually but Erik’s skillset and abilities fit that description like few other players in today’s game.”

Karlsson, who was the No. 15 overall selection in the 2008 NHL draft, spent nine years with the Senators, suiting up for 627 games, scoring 126 goals and recording 518 points. He quickly developed into an all-around blue liner, capable of hitting double digits in goals and being strong defensively. His play would help earn him two Norris Trophies and second-place finishes in 2016 and 2017.

Since 2013, Karlsson is one of only three defensemen — Burns and P.K. Subban being the others — to record at least 300 points. Karlsson is third in goals (89) over that stretch with Burns leading the way (116) comfortably.

The key now for Wilson and the Sharks is to sign Karlsson to an extension. He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and will command a max deal, whether he reaches UFA status or not. The Sharks are perennial contenders out west and this move certainly keeps them in the conversation for 2018-19 in a crowded field of Western Conference field favorites.

For the Senators, the trade is one of the final parts of the complete teardown of a roster that was a goal away from reaching the 2017 Stanley Cup Final. After moving Karlsson and dealing Mike Hoffman, the big pieces that remain are Bobby Ryan, who still has four years left carrying a $7.25M cap hit; Mark Stone, who signed a one-year, $7.35M deal over the summer; and Matt Duchene, who was acquired last October and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next summer. Goaltender Craig Anderson probably could be had if the right offer came along.

It’s all about stockpiling assets to go with a prospect cupboard that features Thomas Chabot, Brady Tkachuk, Logan Brown, Colin White and Alex Formenton.

How deep are the Senators entrenched in this rebuild? The headline for the trade press release reads: “Ottawa Senators complete most important trade in rebuild” and the messaging inside keeps on the theme that the future is bright — they just need to keep dealing away their best players.

“This is the right moment for us to rebuild our team, and shape our future with a faster, younger and more competitive team on the ice,” says Senators GM Pierre Dorion in a statement. “We are going to build a culture of consistency which will allow this team to sustain better performance over the long term.”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Burns and Karlsson starting on the Sharks blueline. Yikes. Ottawa still has Bobby Ryan. But rebuilding with Tierney (never heard of him), DeMelo (or, good-old-what's his name), Norris and Balcers (I can't believe they were available!) Are these clowns really the nucleus of a new age in Ottawa? Other teams can just be glad their owners aren't as passionate as that bozo Melnyk. All the Sens need now is some washed-up "character" guys, who "are good in the room" (at what, taping sticks?) to pave the city's streets of gold for the proverbial run for the Stanley Cup. Hold onto your dentures, boys!  The new kids are on the block and cup watch is on the clock......The Senators are going to be fast, and even faster when some of them start getting their drivers' licenses.

I already stated my point of view from SJ on the Rumors and Trades thread.... Karlsson + Burns on the backend + good forwards nucleus + Martin Jones in goal = Sharks favorites to win their division...maybe more.

I am posting here to look at things from the Senators point of view, seeing as how this is a Sens forum:

It now falls on the Ottawa scouting and development staff to DO SOMETHING with the loads of picks they will have over the next three seasons or so....and maybe more coming if they deal off Bobby Ryan to someone or even Craig Andersen...though granted, they shouldn't be expecting high picks for either of those two.

Still though, the Sens have QUANTITY on their side.... yea, yea, quality is always better, but they got what they got...underwhelming, but a lot of it at least....
So its like they have several shots at a raffle due to simply having many tickets in the pot.
Someone on Ottawa's scouting staff should be able to score a new superstar with the amount of picks they have over the next three seasons...right? Right??

Yes, being skeptical is normal, given what this ownership has shown their track record to be....but you know, I am thinking, blind squirrels, nuts, snowstorms.... well, you guys get the idea....

And if this return seems somewhat low for Karlsson, well, that's because it is.

But the Senators at this point, have no one to blame but themselves, because I am sure if they had traded Karlsson to some other teams last year or even in the off season, who really wanted him and were willing to part with some better pieces than what they got (even if they weren't willing to part with EVERYTHING the Sens wanted...I think Dallas fell into that category), the Sens would have come out beter overall.

My Lightning were in hard on the Karlsson trade circus, as were the Preds and probably a bunch of other teams....maybe even San Jose too offering MORE beforehand than they ultimately gave Ottawa now.

Whether it was Ottawa's insistence on linking Bobby Ryan to any Karlsson deal, or asking for WAYY too much for a guy who would be a FA, or just plain ineptitude, the end result is, Ottawa got a less than ideal return for their superstar, are STILL hampered by Bobby Ryan's contract, have a mess in the locker room with regards to cohesion, and are in a division with teams that can dominate on any given stretch.
The Senators are going to suffer in the foreseeable and it will take some shrewd and patient rebuilding to get them back to relevance sooner than later.
And they will need to make as many of their picks count as possible, completely change the locker room culture, and have a solid plan in place in their minor league systems as to how Ottawa will be remade.

Otherwise, the Sens could be perrenial doormats once again for the next 10 years or so.
I feel for Ottawa fans. I know what its like to support a doormat team for years on end......not fun...not fun at all. Even drains your enthusiasm for the NHL.

So, even though Ottawa are divisional rivals to my Lightning, I really hope they get their schtick together sooner than later.
Time to hire high end scouts, a bunch of smart analytics guys, and guys with visions for the future...because right now, its Ottawa's only chance to NOT become that team that ALWAYS occupies spot #7 on a 7-team division, or spot #14 or 15 on a 15 team Conference.

Jeezus. Burns and Karlsson together on the same power play. Gotta think the Sharks are now easily the favorite in their division and likely right there with Nashville and Winnipeg as the favorite for the West.

As for Ottawa, ugh, what an awful return. A bunch of if come maybe picks and as for the players:

Tierney is a nice piece,  but looks like a 3C 40-45 point guy.

Demelo was an UFA earlier in the offseason who after finding no takers reupped with the Sharks, a 7D nothing to see here.

Balcers is a former 5th round pick, looks like a B level prospect, more of an AHL player.

Norris is a former first round pick, committed to U of Michigan again for this year. Last year as a freshmen there he was more or less a non entity. He might develop but he is several years away.

So a 3C, a 7D, an AHL forward, a former first round pick who looked really lost in college for much of last year and is at best years away and draft picks. It looks like the return that Boston got for Jumbo Joe years ago (remember Marco Sturm? Neither does anyone else, lol). 

I really thought that Ottawa might hold onto Karlsson until later in the season to try to stack up some points to keep from having the first round pick that they gave to Colorado in the unfortunate Duchene deal turn into generational talent Jack Hughes. 

@JR Ewing said about the O'Reilly deal for Buffalo a month or so ago that it raised the floor while lowering the ceiling, this deal for Ottawa at least for this year lowered both. Five years from now, if there is still hockey in the nations capital Ottawa fans (all seven of them) might love the deal if the picks and Norris pan out. But for now, they essentially handed the odds on favorite for Jack Hughes to the 'Lanche. 

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Wow!!  Just saw the news .... Burns and Karlsson on the same team.  Deadly blue line for the Sharks ......

I said this to yave in PM, but your post... I'll put this here. 

I had both in NAHANA for parts of three seasons. 

I currently have neither. 

I quit. 

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Jeezus. Burns and Karlsson together on the same power play. Gotta think the Sharks are now easily the favorite in their division and likely right there with Nashville and Winnipeg as the favorite for the West.

As for Ottawa, ugh, what an awful return. A bunch of if come maybe picks and as for the players:

Tierney is a nice piece,  but looks like a 3C 40-45 point guy.

Demelo was an UFA earlier in the offseason who after finding no takers reupped with the Sharks, a 7D nothing to see here.

Balcers is a former 5th round pick, looks like a B level prospect, more of an AHL player.

Norris is a former first round pick, committed to U of Michigan again for this year. Last year as a freshmen there he was more or less a non entity. He might develop but he is several years away.

So a 3C, a 7D, an AHL forward, a former first round pick who looked really lost in college for much of last year and is at best years away and draft picks. It looks like the return that Boston got for Jumbo Joe years ago (remember Marco Sturm? Neither does anyone else, lol). 

I really thought that Ottawa might hold onto Karlsson until later in the season to try to stack up some points to keep from having the first round pick that they gave to Colorado in the unfortunate Duchene deal turn into generational talent Jack Hughes. 

@JR Ewing said about the O'Reilly deal for Buffalo a month or so ago that it raised the floor while lowering the ceiling, this deal for Ottawa at least for this year lowered both. Five years from now, if there is still hockey in the nations capital Ottawa fans (all seven of them) might love the deal if the picks and Norris pan out. But for now, they essentially handed the odds on favorite for Jack Hughes to the 'Lanche. 

Well rumor has it that it was little return because it's a one year rental because Karlsson is hell bent on signing in Tampa next offseason.

How true the rumor is I guess we'll see.

Big trade win for San Jose. Karlsson and Burns on that blueline, particularly on the PP, will be scary. They are definitely a Top 3 team in the West, and certainly a contender for the Stanley Cup again. Someone peel J0e down from his ceiling.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 I can see where you are coming from, but there are a lot of 'ifs' in there that seem unlikely to occur. The number of people they have cut from their front office, especially scouts poses a problem when it comes to them taking advantage of the pics they have.

I'll always think of them as my Canadian team, but until I'm convinced they are properly committed to running the organisation properly I'll most likely be keeping track of them from afar. While watching TB games.

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well rumor has it that it was little return because it's a one year rental because Karlsson is hell bent on signing in Tampa next offseason.

How true the rumor is I guess we'll see.

Anything is certainly possible, but as it stands, the Lightning have ~13.5 million in cap space  with a need to fill 8 roster spots - more if they actually want spare skaters. I don't see how they could fit Karlsson in without gutting the team, even if there is a healthy cap bump. 

55 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

They're not even trying any more.

It's stupid. Yes, he was a rental. But they absolutely still been able to get a bit of quality rather than quantity. Yay, six pieces that are middling at best. They'd have been better off going for say, Theodore and a pick from Vegas. I honestly hope the arena in Ottawa is empty for every game next season. Even fans from other teams should refuse to go. It's not good for the league to have a front office that so obviously doesn't give a crap about anything but their cash flow.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Anything is certainly possible, but as it stands, the Lightning have ~13.5 million in cap space  with a need to fill 8 roster spots - more if they actually want spare skaters. I don't see how they could fit Karlsson in without gutting the team, even if there is a healthy cap bump. 

Where there is a will there is away, he wants to play with Hedman bad.

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I said this to yave in PM, but your post... I'll put this here. 

I had both in NAHANA for parts of three seasons. 

I currently have neither. 

I quit. 

The Ice Pigs 🐷  and their fans say "Thank You"  for Karlsson  :smileyandcomputer:

19 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:
gettyimages-685781772-e1536854237165.jpg
Getty Images

Erik Karlsson dealt to Sharks as Senators continue roster teardown

•  

The long-awaited Erik Karlsson traded has finally been completed and the talented defenseman and prospect Francis Perron are heading to the San Jose Sharks. In return, the Ottawa Senators will receive Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, plus two conditional picks.

Here are those details on those picks:

screen-shot-2018-09-13-at-2-49-01-pm-e15

Sharks general manager Doug Wilson went hard after John Tavares in free agency, but struck out and moved on to extending key pieces in Logan Couture, Joe Thornton, Tomas Hertl and Evander Kane. He wanted a “difference-maker,” and in acquiring the 28-year-old Karlsson, certainly achieved that goal.

San Jose’s blue line will now feature Karlsson, Brent Burns and Marc-Eduoard Vlasic, a very solid trio, while their top power play unit will be something to watch with the newly-added Swede.

“It’s extremely rare that players of this caliber become available,” said Wilson. “The word ‘elite’ is often thrown around casually but Erik’s skillset and abilities fit that description like few other players in today’s game.”

Karlsson, who was the No. 15 overall selection in the 2008 NHL draft, spent nine years with the Senators, suiting up for 627 games, scoring 126 goals and recording 518 points. He quickly developed into an all-around blue liner, capable of hitting double digits in goals and being strong defensively. His play would help earn him two Norris Trophies and second-place finishes in 2016 and 2017.

Since 2013, Karlsson is one of only three defensemen — Burns and P.K. Subban being the others — to record at least 300 points. Karlsson is third in goals (89) over that stretch with Burns leading the way (116) comfortably.

The key now for Wilson and the Sharks is to sign Karlsson to an extension. He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and will command a max deal, whether he reaches UFA status or not. The Sharks are perennial contenders out west and this move certainly keeps them in the conversation for 2018-19 in a crowded field of Western Conference field favorites.

For the Senators, the trade is one of the final parts of the complete teardown of a roster that was a goal away from reaching the 2017 Stanley Cup Final. After moving Karlsson and dealing Mike Hoffman, the big pieces that remain are Bobby Ryan, who still has four years left carrying a $7.25M cap hit; Mark Stone, who signed a one-year, $7.35M deal over the summer; and Matt Duchene, who was acquired last October and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next summer. Goaltender Craig Anderson probably could be had if the right offer came along.

It’s all about stockpiling assets to go with a prospect cupboard that features Thomas Chabot, Brady Tkachuk, Logan Brown, Colin White and Alex Formenton.

How deep are the Senators entrenched in this rebuild? The headline for the trade press release reads: “Ottawa Senators complete most important trade in rebuild” and the messaging inside keeps on the theme that the future is bright — they just need to keep dealing away their best players.

“This is the right moment for us to rebuild our team, and shape our future with a faster, younger and more competitive team on the ice,” says Senators GM Pierre Dorion in a statement. “We are going to build a culture of consistency which will allow this team to sustain better performance over the long term.”

Well its pretty safe to assume after reading those conditional picks that Karlsson is going to be our West for the immidiate future.  I think he really makes them more dangerous.  I wish they had dealt him elsewhere, but the Blues have Pietrangelo.  Burns and Karlsson together on the pp will be an imposing unit as will Ristolainen and Dahlin.  But I wonder if Marleau was still there how much better they would be?

Erik Karlsson cost the Sharks less than Adam Larsson cost the Oilers. Great trade for San Jose, and a mystical one for Ottawa. Quality for quantity and conditional picks all over the place. Ottawa gets mid-card talent, San Jose gets the main event... Being a fan of my team and seeing what other teams are able to accomplish, like this trade or just managing the cap in a semi-competent fashion, goes up my a$$ like a red-hot poker held sideways.

It's time to go into my special room and update my manifesto.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Erik Karlsson cost the Sharks less than Adam Larsson cost the Oilers. Great trade for San Jose, and a mystical one for Ottawa. Quality for quantity and conditional picks all over the place. Ottawa gets mid-card talent, San Jose gets the main event... Being a fan of my team and seeing what other teams are able to accomplish, like this trade or just managing the cap in a semi-competent fashion, goes up my a$$ like a red-hot poker held sideways.

We wil put you right back on the map fella.  But the Blues will still go farther and my Sabres will still own the Sharks

20 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

They did what the Orioles did in baseball, blew up the farm.  Allowed Karlsson to play for a team that has a shot to go deep  in the playoffs.  Its not like those draft picks are nothing.  They will help in time.  And its another win win for both teams.  By the time Ottawa has a contender again Karlsson might be about ready to retire?  They did not want that for him by any means.  They let him go like the Orioles let Machado go.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

They did what the Orioles did in baseball, blew up the farm.  Allowed Karlsson to play for a team that has a shot to go deep  in the playoffs.  Its not like those draft picks are nothing.  They will help in time.  And its another win win for both teams.  By the time Ottawa has a contender again Karlsson might be about ready to retire?  They did not want that for him by any means.  They let him go like the Orioles let Machado go.

That's a fair perspective, but I just think they didn't get enough for him. A lot of hope, a lot of "we'll see in 5-7 years" in exchange for a future Hall of Famer in his prime. You have to get more than magic beans for a player like Erik Karlsson. When I saw the trade had gone down and San Jose didn't have to give up any of Thomas Hertl, Timo Mier, Kevin Lebanc, or Ryan Merkley, I almost fell of my seat.

Just looking over the defense pairings for the Senators, and even though Erik Karlsson was just one guy, what a huge, gaping hole is left in that defensive core with him gone.

Sens have to promising young guys in Cody Ceci (24) and Thomas Chabot (21), but those two, by default become top pair guys.
I mean, the other D are guys like Mark Borowiecki, Dylan Demelo, and Chris Wideman...hardly top pair options.
Maybe the huge Ben Harpur will be given a shot.... 6'6 215, but still just 23 himself.

It is going to be a lot for Ceci and Chabot to shoulder being so young still.  I suppose in times like these when players like those two, that are supposed to be good, are just thrown into the fire, we get to see what they are really made of.

Sens fans can only hope that what seemed like a toxic locker room environment in Ottawa, along with the less-than-stellar management and ownership, doesn't sour those young men.

Ottawa's lineup is also riddled with guys who seem to require time on IR just about every season... Bobby Ryan, Craig Anderson, Clarke MacArthur, Marion Gaborik…. just off the top of my head.
Oh, and of course, Pageau isn't available for quite some time, if not the majority of the season.

So for sure, young Senators' players are gonna get chances. 

But will they be handled correctly?

I just see this Ottawa squad giving up a TON of goals this year....maybe some record number of goals....and just not being able to score nearly enough to even come close to keeping up.

48 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

That's a fair perspective, but I just think they didn't get enough for him. A lot of hope, a lot of "we'll see in 5-7 years" in exchange for a future Hall of Famer in his prime. You have to get more than magic beans for a player like Erik Karlsson. When I saw the trade had gone down and San Jose didn't have to give up any of Thomas Hertl, Timo Mier, Kevin Lebanc, or Ryan Merkley, I almost fell of my seat.

I think Murray's son is running the ship there?  Not sure.  But you would think and established player would be part of the deal.  My Orioles did not get enough for Machado but they did get a boatload of prospects and pitchers that are promising.  And Machado is not locked in long term with the Dodgers.   I know its a long long shot of him coming back, but if he wanted to he could.  If the knuckle heads including Duquette were to build  winner around him. Trading Schoop and Britton and the rest of the best players has my blood boiling.  Well you have made a splash of a trade.  The Sharks are on the short list of Western contenders.  To me I think now its between them and the Blues.  Oops, I must add the Wild to the list also.  And maybe Kings and Ducks?

Archived