Karlsson in San Jose For the Long Haul?

TropicalFruitGirl26

122631168_KARLSSSONTRADE.jpg.ce30772291d5921eda7a6b473881973c.jpg

Figured I'd move some of the Karlsson talk over here as he is such a big deal in San Jose, it is taking a life of its own, and there are some other things that can be said about #65 in Teal that could go well beyond this season.

So.

Karlsson is a Shark, and there is a bit of speculation that he may elect to test the free agent waters at season's end anyways.
Leading some, myself included, to wonder if he may end up some place like Tampa Bay after all.

But hang on....have a look at this from NHL.com
https://www.nhl.com/news/sharks-erik-karlsson-expected-to-get-eight-year-contract-offer/c-300157042

According to this, San Jose may offer Karlsson an extension...and do it BEFORE Erik reaches those free agent waters.

Also according to this, the Sharks DO have a history of trading for guys, and, if they are any good (and we know Karlsson IS), they tend to keep them on board.

Burns, Kane, Jones...now Karlsson added to guys who the Sharks traded away assets for then retained them on long term deals.

If the Burns-Karlsson hydra on the PP is as successful as many think it will be, AND the Sharks can remain year in, year out as favorites to rule their division and maybe make multiple Cup runs, then I can very well see the San Jose front office enticing Erik to stay on board.

This will, of course, put pressure on the other two California teams to get things back in gear for themselves.

As it stands, things seemed somewhat even between Anaheim, San Jose, and Los Angeles...each team seemingly having one advantage or so over the other.
Having Karlsson, Burns, Jones, Pavelski, Couture, Kane, and whatever good up n comers the Sharks have in the pipeline changes the game though.

Especially if #65 decides to call San Jose, California "Home" for the next 8 years.

This also means teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona, and Vancouver are gonna have to "grow up" sooner than later, lest they waste their best players' primes in seasons where they don't win anything.

And of course, Vegas will have healthy competition if they indeed maintain contender status..and right now, there is no reason why they shouldn't.

So again, I HATE saying, especially in hockey, that one man can make all the difference.
And if San Jose were a team that had nothing BUT Karlsson, I'd say it was not a game changing thing (as was the case with Karlsson in Ottawa), but the Sharks already had a fine team....and Erik just puts them over the top, provided they stay healthy elsewhere.

So yea, in this case, one man, Erik Karlsson, DOES make all the difference, and if he stays long term in San Jose, not only will he impact the Teal, but every other team in the division, possibly the Western Conference.

Does #65 stay in the Shark Tank?

History says yes.....

Impossible to say until we see if he is happy. And we won't see that till he starts playing with the boys and developing relationships.

The sharks fans give the guys privacy if they want it, but will approach them and talk to them a lot if they seem amiable to it. 

Evander Kane was a guy who thought he was going to a place that was not big on hockey, but was overwhelmed that the place was as big a hockey city as Winnipeg and that the fans were super stoked he was there.

His entire piece on player Tribune was testament to why so many sharks sign hometown discounts. 

Instead of just a short trade deadline taste, karlsson will have a whole year to see if California life is for him. 

Yes there is a rumor he had another destination in mind. There are always rumors. Everyone wants to go to the tax free place to play with friends. Tavares, etc

San Jose was apparently runner up for Tavares and only his boyhood dream of playing for the leafs made him take their lesser offer. His player Tribune made that clear, but the sharks sold him hard and made it a tough choice.

Karlsson's biggest beef right now was a cheapo owner and met with the sharks owner(who wants to win and will pay) and talks and karlsson's budding enthusiasm made Wilson pull the trigger and think he can keep him

From a Sharks perspective, I want him there for the next couple of years. The window is open, but not for a long time. I think we have a legit shot at making a run for the next two season before Burns and Couture start slowing down. You can only get Karlsson on a long term deal. If he fits well, and he wants to stay, bring him back for as long as he wants. Anything around $11,000,000 AAV would be okay. Depends how the cap moves in the next couple years, but you could dump players like Melker or Justin Braun to make space. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:26 PM, TooMuchBeard said:

From a Sharks perspective, I want him there for the next couple of years. The window is open, but not for a long time. I think we have a legit shot at making a run for the next two season before Burns and Couture start slowing down. You can only get Karlsson on a long term deal. If he fits well, and he wants to stay, bring him back for as long as he wants. Anything around $11,000,000 AAV would be okay. Depends how the cap moves in the next couple years, but you could dump players like Melker or Justin Braun to make space. 

Same bud.

I would be willing to pay up to 13mx8

2 hours ago, TooMuchBeard said:

I’d rather do the Doughty deal at 11mil x 8. That is a little more “team friendly”, and I would argue they deserve the same deal. 

I Agree to Disagree

Obviously I would RATHER have a cheaper deal lol. But Karlsson is Generational offensively and very good defensively. I watch the sens a lot and Karlsson is way better than Burns in this area. He also just controls the game more singlehandedly.

Doughty is very good offensively and Elite defensively(Not generational).

The time Kopitar, Doughty and Brown were arguing over who had to cover Karlsson during 3 on 3 overtime last year was priceless.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Figured I'd move some of the Karlsson talk over here as he is such a big deal in San Jose, it is taking a life of its own, and there are some other things that can be said about #65 in Teal that could go well beyond this season.

So.

Karlsson is a Shark, and there is a bit of speculation that he may elect to test the free agent waters at season's end anyways.
Leading some, myself included, to wonder if he may end up some place like Tampa Bay after all.

https://www.nhl.com/news/sharks-erik-karlsson-expected-to-get-eight-year-contract-offer/c-300157042

According to this, San Jose may offer Karlsson an extension...and do it BEFORE Erik reaches those free agent waters.

Also according to this, the Sharks DO have a history of trading for guys, and, if they are any good (and we know Karlsson IS), they tend to keep them on board.

Burns, Kane, Jones...now Karlsson added to guys who the Sharks traded away assets for then retained them on long term deals.

If the Burns-Karlsson hydra on the PP is as successful as many think it will be, AND the Sharks can remain year in, year out as favorites to rule their division and maybe make multiple Cup runs, then I can very well see the San Jose front office enticing Erik to stay on board.

This will, of course, put pressure on the other two California teams to get things back in gear for themselves.

As it stands, things seemed somewhat even between Anaheim, San Jose, and Los Angeles...each team seemingly having one advantage or so over the other.
Having Karlsson, Burns, Jones, Pavelski, Couture, Kane, and whatever good up n comers the Sharks have in the pipeline changes the game though.

Especially if #65 decides to call San Jose, California "Home" for the next 8 years.

This also means teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona, and Vancouver are gonna have to "grow up" sooner than later, lest they waste their best players' primes in seasons where they don't win anything.

And of course, Vegas will have healthy competition if they indeed maintain contender status..and right now, there is no reason why they shouldn't.

So again, I HATE saying, especially in hockey, that one man can make all the difference.
And if San Jose were a team that had nothing BUT Karlsson, I'd say it was not a game changing thing (as was the case with Karlsson in Ottawa), but the Sharks already had a fine team....and Erik just puts them over the top, provided they stay healthy elsewhere.

So yea, in this case, one man, Erik Karlsson, DOES make all the difference, and if he stays long term in San Jose, not only will he impact the Teal, but every other team in the division, possibly the Western Conference.

History says yes.....   

On 9/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

So.

History says yes.....

Wilson playing 4d chess as well. Sent Hoffman to the same state as Karlsson rumored to want to go to when they and their wives hate each other and have court dates lolol

On 9/18/2018 at 10:18 AM, J0e Th0rnton said:

I Agree to Disagree

Obviously I would RATHER have a cheaper deal lol. But Karlsson is Generational offensively and very good defensively. I watch the sens a lot and Karlsson is way better than Burns in this area. He also just controls the game more singlehandedly.

Doughty is very good offensively and Elite defensively(Not generational).

The time Kopitar, Doughty and Brown were arguing over who had to cover Karlsson during 3 on 3 overtime last year was priceless.

But the injury history has to be taken into account. And the Cups. You’re saying Karlsson is the better player, I agree. But he hasn’t achieved the same things as Doughty. If you are basing the deal strictly on talent, Karlsson should get more. If you are taking everything else into account, they are a more even footing. 

If he’s staying in SJ, I have to imagine it’s around the Doughty deal. 11.5. Maybe 12. But he doesn’t get more than McDavid. I will agree he could set the denfensemen market, but the Doughty deal is a starting point. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:31 PM, TooMuchBeard said:

But the injury history has to be taken into account. And the Cups. You’re saying Karlsson is the better player, I agree. But he hasn’t achieved the same things as Doughty. If you are basing the deal strictly on talent, Karlsson should get more. If you are taking everything else into account, they are a more even footing. 

If he’s staying in SJ, I have to imagine it’s around the Doughty deal. 11.5. Maybe 12. But he doesn’t get more than McDavid. I will agree he could set the denfensemen market, but the Doughty deal is a starting point. 

The cup is a team accomplishment. LA when they won cups were a Vezina caliber goalie, Selke Caliber forward and lots of other players

Individual accomplishments, well, Doughty has 1 norris and 2 Runner up's to Karlsson's 2 and 2 runner up's and Karlsson on his WORST scoring year in recent memory outscored Doughty's career best by 2 points. Doughty's past 5 years he scored 37, 46, 51, 44 and 60. Karlsson scored 74, 66, 82, 71 and 62 and that 62 he was playing on one leg cadaver(Which has since healed)

Oh good god.

I know the Sharks lost their first preseason game with Karlsson. But that game made me just go bonkers over watching him. I watched enough ottawa games to know how good he was and in teal he just looked magnificent.

The Sharks were obviously raggedy and rusty and Evander Kane's speedy style belongs nowhere near Jumbo Joe's cerebral game as it does not mesh. And I am not sure what the coach was thinking on those PP's having Thornton in the shooting position with Burns on the left wall. But Karlsson stole the show regardless. He is such a beautiful effortless skater and his instincts with Vlasic were spot on.

They can't sign him to an 8 year deal till after the trade deadline because of some technicality, but he seems to be loving it there.

SJ was talking with EK during that period Ottawa said other teams could talk to him. I wouldn't be surprised if they talked about what sort of contact he'd expect to be offered and had that planned when they negotiated the trade, quite possibly with compromising photos of Dorion as leverage.

• 3 weeks later...

@J0e Th0rnton Have to say that 13mx8 sounds too much. I share your view on his offensive skills, super talent, but I just can't see him being very good defensively like you mentioned. With that money you'd be able to pay two D-men for better defensive play albeit they'd have mediocre offensive prowess compared to Erik's.

Archived