preseason games

hunter wieser

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hunter wieser said:

last nights game against the jets was a ****** cheat game by the ****** jets. so the jets can just **** off. that game pissed the **** out of me.

It is only pre-season...

Wild at Jets pre season

IMO

Greenway  strong puck control in O zone, looked comfortable at C

Coyle   skated well, some trouble puck handling/passing

EK  Good forecheck, overall solid

Kloos 9 shots  excellent burst creating opportunities, no finish

Brown  disappointing, no jump

Nino  skated fine, played with some edge

Lodnia showed decent quickness, some puck skills

Rau  good forecheck 

Anas good skill, but still lacks strength

Foligno, Hendricks & Fehr   o k

Seeler Physical presence, good puck movement

Murphy  strong showing, especially Off.

Pateryn, Belpedio, Bartkowski  o k

Olofsson struggled with first pass out of the zone

Hamburglar  solid effort, good rebound control

Meh on the bad 'goal' call.  A few minutes before Morrow's 'goal' there was another Jets chance that should've counted.  So...it kind of worked out the way it was supposed to.  The Wild had plenty of chances to score but couldn't get another puck by Broissoit.  

IMO, the Jets lineup was an NHL team (Laine, Byfuglien, Ehlers).  The Wild's lineup was mostly an AHL team with a few NHL'ers sprinkled in.  

No doubt it was a pre-season game against Jets, but still it was a low scoring disappointing game too (1 goal out of 40 shots towards the Jet's net) which is not enough in our continuous limited production. How we will play against them during the regular season and a possible playoffs games if we are not capable to score well? Reffs  should have a replay chance too even in pre-season games, to avoid such a blind stupid mistakes on a bad 'goal' and 'no-goal' calls, because it is still NHL TV show, but not a local school hockey competition with a low reffs skills. Hammond was good and solid. I liked Seeler too. The rest of the team(Ek-Greenway-Coyle, Kloos-Rau-Anas; Foligno-Hendricks-Brown; Lodnia-Fehr-Nino), should be more smart in front of the goalie to put enough (I would say tons) of pucks into the opposing net on delivered 40 shots. What are more missing - skills or talent? It was no surprise Lodnia was sent to OHL (now to Niagara team), Baribeau and Dewar to their teams. The last two even didn't play. Hope, Sokolov, Khovanov, Shaw, Fitzgerald will provide us with some valuable production to prove their talent and skills or both.

I usually never pay attention to these games anyways. This early the team is still trying to decide who to send back to the  WHL/OHL/QMJHL and who to send to Iowa. Maybe give some vets who were healing up over the summer a chance to shake some of the rust off.

I'd be more concerned if I were a Jets fan in that they were only able to get two goals past an AHL caliber Wild team...but that's just me.

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I usually never pay attention to these games anyways. This early the team is still trying to decide who to send back to the  WHL/OHL/QMJHL and who to send to Iowa. Maybe give some vets who were healing up over the summer a chance to shake some of the rust off.

I'd be more concerned if I were a Jets fan in that they were only able to get two goals past an AHL caliber Wild team...but that's just me.

And one of those two goals was a 'bad' goal for our team (puck even did not cross a net line). Referees did a stupid mistake. Replay TV showed that 'bad' goal from different angles. Conclusion: AHL caliber Wild team was even better than NHL caliber Jets team, especially in goaltending, in defense and in making more shots towards opposing net (impressive 40 vs 30). Maybe that AHL caliber Wild team will play instead of NHL caliber Wild team during a regular season and in playoffs too?

Anyway ,I usually pay some attention to those pre-season games, because they are giving more interest and more view on the team's future potential when a good portion of our prospects playing together with NHL Wild team roster and gaining during that time some NHL experience.

vs Stars

Kind of a boring game.

The Wild have it in the Stars zone for much of the first period and don't do a whole lot. Back and forth up and down the ice. But when the Stars get the puck in our zone it's been brief but they get guys crossing, get the puck moving from one side of the net to the other with guys moving to the puck for scoring chances (something the Wild just don't do all that often.)

The Wild's 1st PP was dreadful. Stars got a shot on net while the Wild couldn't even control the puck.

Still dumping the puck in on PP's. At least on that one.

Missed much of the 2nd period but saw the last few minutes. Younger Wild players were finishing their checks while the old guys did... Nothing different. lol

edit:

The Stars goal on Dubnyk was kind of weak. Some may say Dubs was partially screened but you could also say he was out of position and didn't do anything to make any adjustment to move (to seal off his post.)

edit: Now they're saying the puck deflected off Kyle Rau.

3rd period the Stars picked it up a bit.

Stars got a holding penalty, Shore holding Coyle. Wild go on the PP.

Koivu & Co. just got off the ice on a line change when Coyle was held... And they go back out there for the whole PP. Not much different.

They had Koivu (who got kicked out of the faceoff circle.) Parise won the draw. So it was Parise - Koivu - Anas with Spurgeon on RD and Nino on LD. Nino got a couple shots off from the point and overall they got a couple jam shots, no score but it was once again not much but perimeter passing for the entire 2 minute PP. That unit was out there for the whole PP.

Didja notice I said Koivu & Co. were hardly off the ice on a line change before the PP? They were gassed about half way through it and it showed.

Koivu with the C, Parise with an A along with Spurgeon.

Spurgeon looked great. Lots of energy, never looks tired. But the rest of the club... sigh. Just a bunch of guys out there who aside from the Koivu line hardly ever play together, and it shows.

edit:

Oh, no Staal, Granlund, Zucker, Dumba or Brodin.

Pateryn has looked like Kyle Quincey 2.0 so far to me.  Slow, I'm not seeing the strength or the physicality either.  I think Nate Prosser moves better and just like Pateryn has a right hand shot, but at a far cheaper price.  Pateryn had a few absolutely awful turnovers in his own zone.  

I thought Parise looked reasonably good.  Kloos, Anas, Rau looked like the most motivated guys out there.  Spurgeon looked smooth.  Beyond that...it was a pretty boring game.  And that is the most empty I've ever seen the X with the Wild playing there, EVER.  I realize there were intense storms in the Twin Cities, but wow...that place was damn near empty.  

Been reading a lot of what you guys have been putting on these threads with regards to pre-season games because I really don't watch pre-season from start to finish.

My manner of watching them is bits n pieces here and there....some of the Wild, some of the Lightning, some of the Predators, etc, etc.
I listen to news reports, maybe some post game shows.....

Maybe it's because I KNOW the games don't count or because I know that many of the players I am seeing out there probably either won't be with the team to start the season or playing together in whatever combinations I am seeing them currently out there as.

Once the season starts, I will play quick catch up as I DO like dissecting players, plays, trends, pros n cons, etc on a game by game basis....all with the knowledge that the games matter at that point, and players are either engaged in the season, not engaged in the season, or need to get their arses in gear lest they fall too far behind too quickly....and in the case of the Wild and the Central, that could be REAL bad news as their division, I believe, will be the toughest top to bottom.

So thank you guys for your thoughts and postings....some of them I am filing away to see how they compare to when the games count for points in the standings.

From the bits I have seen so far, I am not particularly impressed with anyone really, on the team as of yet.
That isn't to say certain players aren't playing well, but just as an overall unit....the Wild still do seem to be a bit disjointed and not particularly fast.

I know things will start rounding into better shape soon, but my initial impressions are that this season's Minnesota Wild will be more of a, dare I say, grinding type team, or perhaps more focused on defense due to not having overall team speed like they had in past seasons?
That assessment probably isn't entirely accurate, again, because I know personnel, styles, and players being in game-shape will make all the difference once October rolls around.

It is just my off-the-top impression of the team so far.

Keep posting stuff guys...I LOVE reading the sensible as well as the ridiculous....the contrast is good for stimulating my own thought processes.....not to mention some have great entertainment value!  :ahappy:

Carry on, gentlemen....pre-season wears on!

And Go Wild!!
:wild:

IMO vs Dallas   Parise, Rau & JEE were the Wild's best forwards. Rau was excellent on the forecheck.

Kloos seemed to run out of gas early (3 games in 4 nights for him). Was benched in the third

Brown was better than vs WPG, but still haven't seen much jump. Interesting he was on the 5th line for practice Fri.

Seeler and Spurgeon best D.   Bartkowski and Prosser were fine.   Pateryn and Soucy spotty.

Dubnyk not tested much vs Stars 3rd thru 6th  lines.

I didn't get to see the whole game, but what I saw left me unimpressed.

Parise seemed motivated, but I didn't see much from anyone else.

The new guys looked lost or over matched.

The style of play unchanged. Lose the puck, wait for Dallas to make a mistake or turnover. Very little forecheck, especially from the regulars.

Let's hope they noticed how well an aggressive forecheck worked for Winnipeg and Vegas last year.

Archived