preseason games

hunter wieser

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I didn't get to see the whole game, but what I saw left me unimpressed.

Parise seemed motivated, but I didn't see much from anyone else.

The new guys looked lost or over matched.

The style of play unchanged. Lose the puck, wait for Dallas to make a mistake or turnover. Very little forecheck, especially from the regulars.

Let's hope they noticed how well an aggressive forecheck worked for Winnipeg and Vegas last year.

^ In bold.

Last night during and after the game I kept trying to identify the overall play of the Wild. In a nutshell when you said, "what I saw left me unimpressed" summed it up very well.

They were playing hard - but hardly playing. There was little to no cohesion from one player to another (per their lines - except between Koivu & Parise) and it really looked like they were struggling to make something happen as opposed to just free-wheeling. Hanging onto their sticks too tight again? Same old story different day.

Yes it's early in the season but it was early for Dallas too. However Dallas found a way to move the puck up ice smoothly with flow while the Wild seemed extremely tentative.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never watched an NHL preseason game, but from looking at box scores over the years I literally put zero stock in how teams perform. When I look at the box score for the game from the St. Louis it shows Dumba, Staal, Brodin.... Menell, Warner and Kloos. When teams get broken up and there isn't much chemistry it is hard to accurately gauge the regular season team and predict what will happen in the regular season when half of the team is made up of AHLers.

Another disappointing pre-season loss  in game 2 (score 2:3) against St.Louis happened in Des Moines, IA in front of more than 14000 fans. It seems that Wild team had less efforts to finish it well even with a comparison to game 1 loss. I think Stallock's last 2 goals from the same Dallas player in 27 seconds apart were not acceptable for him. Our main line Zucker-Staal-Granlund had +/- - 2. Sokolov's name I heard more often than someone else during that night, who played just one game so far. Khovanov did not played at all yet. 
Dubnyk was in the net in game 3 against Dallas team, which had lots of prospects and used for a tryout 2 goalies in that game. We lost game 3 at our home ice too with a score 1:3. Fitzgerald played just few minutes. Agree with Rotty - it was a boring game. Actually do not remember such a poor pre-season start for the Wild as well as scoring only 4 goals in 3 games.And we played against of teams who used also lots of prospects(AHLers,OHLers and etc). Is that a winning mentality in preparation for the regular season?
Here is a better example how we should involve our prospects and give them plenty of time to play and get their NHL experience during a pre-season period. Las Vegas team - 3 games- 3 wins with a score 7:2;5:1;7:2. Total impressive 19 goals in 3 games; as well as a nice winning mentality preparation with a solid chance to win a Stanley Cup this season. 

When I watch preseason games I look for 3 things. Style of play, that should be set by the coaches. Who    looks good and who looks bad. 

In the wild I didn’t see anyone stand out, good or bad. Usually the ahlers stand out as not belonging. 

The style of play, for the most part, was a little slow and passive. 

This season be prepared for something less than last year. Seven or eight games of hum-drum hockey then a game where they seem to halfway put things together, then more hum-drum. That cycle has been too frustrating for too many years. Every year the Wild only have brief flashes of this is going to be good then revert back to what appears to be too many mini struggles trying to find their game.

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

This season be prepared for something less than last year. Seven or eight games of hum-drum hockey then a game where they seem to halfway put things together, then more hum-drum. That cycle has been too frustrating for too many years. Every year the Wild only have brief flashes of this is going to be good then revert back to what appears to be too many mini struggles trying to find their game.

Yep.  It is on the veterans of the team to pull their weight these next couple of seasons while the organization allows for the rebuild of their prospects.  Injuries will be key, if the core stays predominantly healthy they will create an opportunity to make the playoffs.  If not, missing the playoffs wouldn't be the worst thing as earlier draft picks can help move the franchise forward faster.  

This is really no different than what the Flyers have faced too over the years.  I understand the frustration.

7 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

And I don’t expect any different this season unfortunately 

12 hours ago, hf101 said:

Looking at the line-up for tonight's game this is one the Wild should win.

You and Jimtownguy were right. Finally we won. Actually it was a nice win 7:0 by our practically full Wild NHL roster, which played the whole 60 min.pretty motivated game for the win with a high score. Stalock was solid too. 

Final score 4:3. Both goals (Zucker's and Spurgeon's) were beautiful. Dubnyk did few pretty saves on a last minute and a last second of the game. 1st line and a 4th line were main producers in our 4 goals (2 for the 1st line and 2 for the 4th line). In general, the whole game was nice and speedy during the entire 60 minutes. Shots were 28:30 Wild/Jets.

Archived