"Gritty"

hf101

Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??

• Hell Yes...its hip...think of all the $$$ the Flyers will make on the stuffed animal!
    • God No ...the thing is hideous!
    • The Flyers have a new mascot ?????

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

My 11 year old wheeled around.

"I happen to like puppets!" she roared.  "Especially hand-puppets." [while raising her middle finger and making a scooping motion with her hand].  "If you don't shut your hole, you're going to be one!"

The people around us went into convulsions.

The kid never spoke again.

I see that your daughter takes after her dad.  

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Pretty sure I told this story before, but @OccamsRazor's "I can't believe people care" post made me think of it.

So, my two daughters, my wife and I were at a State College Spikes game in State College.  They are Single A.   My daughters were 11 and 7.

I got the tickets from my boss and they were literally on the home dugout, so it was kind of cool.  Kind of.

They have two mascots there (or did--this has been about 11 years now!).  One is "Spike," who is the main mascot and interacts with fans.  Being right at the dugout, the girls got to dance with Spike on the roof of the dugout and interact with him frequently.

The other mascot is called "Nookie Monster."   In dead center field, there is a "nook" in the fence where the outfield juts out slightly further than the rest of the fence.  When the Spikes hit a home run, Nookie Monster would come out of a little door in dead center and do some sort of dance or cheer or something and go back in.

So, it was late in the game and the Spikes were down with a runner or two on, and my youngest screams at the top of her lungs, "we want Nookie!  We want Nookie! We want..."   My wife and I glanced at each other instantaneously and "Noooooooooooooo!!!!"  LOL  The people around us thought it was hysterical.

In the meantime, there was what I think was a 12-14 year old boy behind us with his grandfather.  A know-it-all little twit who had running commentary on every single pitch, every single play, explaining to his grandfather (and anyone in earshot) what the player did wrong.  On both sides.  "He shouldn't have thrown a slider there (it was a curve)!  He should have thrown a curve (it was)!"  etc.

Anyway, late in the game, Spike was in the aisle to our right, maybe 8 seats down, signing autographs. So, naturally my girls wanted some illegible scribble on their program.  So off they went.  When they returned, the know-it-all twit behind us says really loudly to his apparently deaf grandfather, "Man, some people just come for the puppets!"

My 11 year old wheeled around.

"I happen to like puppets!" she roared.  "Especially hand-puppets." [while raising her middle finger and making a scooping motion with her hand].  "If you don't shut your hole, you're going to be one!"

The people around us went into convulsions.

The kid never spoke again.

HAHA very funny.

That story is the best part of this thread.

Thanks for adding some value to it.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

:whiteflag:

Swoop liking Gritty is the definiton of a bad endorsement.

Swoop is behind the St. Joe Hawk and Temple's Stella when it comes to Philly's avian mascots.

Stella is Bad Ass and the Hawk will never die.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

HAHA very funny.

That story is the best part of this thread.

Thanks for adding some value to it.

Dude, You don't like the thread....WE GET IT!

But it seems that MANY posters on here find it hysterical, fun,  and a nice break from posting endlessly about your "armchair opinions" on managing a pro hockey team during the pre-season. YAWN....

We get it. Your above this....See ya in another thread!

(There everyone, please feel free to continue to have fun with this topic in the absence of those  who think it is stupid and valueless and can't help themselves from pissing on everyone's fun....)

Good story Rux. :)

On October 13th, the Broken Goblet will be releasing NIGHTMARE FUEL, a lightly hopped Cream Ale brewed with vanilla and “bruised and bloodied” oranges. Resin and pine from the Chinook addition, and a touch of Saaz hops accent the sweetness of the vanilla and the tart orange in this fluffy ale. Very special limited edition crowlers will be released as well as draft. Special shout out to ourfriends on FB for the funny names and beer ideas! Extra special thanks to Mark Salmon who - ONCE AGAIN - comes through with the art in blazing speed.

No automatic alt text available.

51 minutes ago, DevinWieser said:

Well it was designed by a dude from Bellefonte PA Brian Allen

https://www.centredaily.com/news/local/community/bellefonte/article218932555.html

Then turned over to Dave Raymond's company to actually make the mascot suit, Dave Raymond was the original Phillie Phanatic.

Something got lost in the translation, however, I am down for Gritty after getting past my initial horror. 

With mascots, it's the person inside that makes it and by all accounts whoever is doing Gritty is doing a pretty decent job- same goes for his online presence which I find to be pretty funny. 

Archived