"Gritty"

hf101

Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??

• Hell Yes...its hip...think of all the $$$ the Flyers will make on the stuffed animal!
    • God No ...the thing is hideous!
    • The Flyers have a new mascot ?????

20 hours ago, vis said:

by the way, totally come around on Gritty.  he's been pretty hilarious.  Hope they keep up the antics and he's more of an "anti-mascot" mascot.

I am willing to see where this goes.

Still not a fan, as such, but the Twitterverse has been riotously on point with this whole thing.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Most epic launch of...anything.

I honestly think this roll-out has been sheer brilliance. Don't @ me 

The rollout has been very effective. Nothing makes something go viral like a whole bunch of people dumping on it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, radoran said:

Still not a fan, as such, but the Twitterverse has been riotously on point with this whole thing.

What is it that makes you not a fan?  Not arguing that you should be, but just curious what your concerns are.  Is it a dislike of mascots in general and the marketing ploys behind them?  Or the fact that the Flyers have come to this point as an organization?  Or is it something specific about Gritty's demeanor thus far?

For me, I hated the thing at first because of the first two points and I thought the design was a hideous atrocity.  However, it's starting to look more like a troll job and an "anti-mascot," which I am all for.  The fact that outsiders are dumping on it and the city is fine by me.  People will always trash Philly anyway. 

4 hours ago, vis said:

What is it that makes you not a fan?  Not arguing that you should be, but just curious what your concerns are.  Is it a dislike of mascots in general and the marketing ploys behind them?  Or the fact that the Flyers have come to this point as an organization?  Or is it something specific about Gritty's demeanor thus far?

For me, I hated the thing at first because of the first two points and I thought the design was a hideous atrocity.  However, it's starting to look more like a troll job and an "anti-mascot," which I am all for.  The fact that outsiders are dumping on it and the city is fine by me.  People will always trash Philly anyway. 

The last bit is what has me turning the corner.

I just can't stand the look of it in general. Could evolve. The goo-goo-googily eyes don't grab me. My initial reaction was entirely negative (which could be what they were going for).

I don't hate mascots in general - as I am a HUGE fan of the Phanatic while I haven't even noticed the Phillies all season. Also Temple's Hooter (not to mention Stella) and the immortal St. Joe's Hawk.

I mean, it could be worse. It could be Steely McBeam or Youppi.

11 hours ago, radoran said:

I just can't stand the look of it in general. Could evolve. The goo-goo-googily eyes don't grab me. My initial reaction was entirely negative (which could be what they were going for).

Yeah, it’s hideous looking (does it have a nose?).  Hated it as well at first, but they must have been going for that on purpose.  

Youppi is pathetic.  I never knew the Habs had a mascot.   

23 hours ago, radoran said:

The rollout has been very effective. Nothing makes something go viral like a whole bunch of people dumping on it.

From a marketing standpoint, what intrigues me is how extremely well thought out it seems to be, but also totally committed to a strange and edgy concept of capitalizing completely on Philly Fan defensiveness and inferiority / Rocky identity.  Everyone in Philly seemed to hate Gritty until they realized the rest of the world was mocking Gritty, then by the end of the first day, Philly would die for Gritty.

I don't know if it's a successful execution or not, but man, talk about knowing their audience and going all in on a risky approach for that audience.  I'm impressed with the balls of it, that's for sure.  

Still think a nose would do wonders for the thing though.

16 hours ago, radoran said:

The last bit is what has me turning the corner.

I don't hate mascots in general - as I am a HUGE fan of the Phanatic while I haven't even noticed the Phillies all season. Also Temple's Hooter (not to mention Stella) and the immortal St. Joe's Hawk.

I mean, it could be worse. It could be Steely McBeam or Youppi.

I grew up on the Phanatic, The Nittany Lion and occasionally Coco the Hershey Bear, so I kinda feel like I get to be a snob about mascots and my jury is still out on Gritty.  I will say that what's impressive to me is seeing him in action and how the freakiness of him is kind of diluted when you're looking at him from 200ft away.  

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Penguins fans photoshop Gritty into random stock images to horrifying effect

https://www.yahoo.com/news/penguins-fans-photoshop-gritty-random-171607446.html

0923058ee1312c9dc23bf6bf341c5391

eb78562a8c39f55bdbedbe141f6b37c1

cadb053cfeed2770cba62b6922effa95

211d6aae9de118cd04d64bc18d8d6cc0

6ad4cf80b7e7257506bab7fd84798407

...creepy creeper...

My question is do they get it or not?  Do they know that the fact that he's freaky as hell really seems to have been intentional and part of the gag?  

This really comes across as maybe they're trying to Troll Philly, but in the end are only celebrating what Gritty is.

So  it has been several days now since the Flyers have announced to the world "Gritty".  I may still think he is a bit bizarre, but he is growing on me in a weird way.  It has become more comical than anything else.  Like I said, I may not really like the who Gritty concept but in the same token I don't totally hate him anymore like I did several days ago ........

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

My question is do they get it or not?  Do they know that the fact that he's freaky as hell really seems to have been intentional and part of the gag?  

This really comes across as maybe they're trying to Troll Philly, but in the end are only celebrating what Gritty is.

They're from Pittsburgh. They don't get anything that doesn't involve mayo.

Archived