"Gritty"

hf101

Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??

• Hell Yes...its hip...think of all the $$$ the Flyers will make on the stuffed animal!
    • God No ...the thing is hideous!
    • The Flyers have a new mascot ?????

44 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

It appears that his goodwill tour is having an effect on people.  I'm still pretty lukewarm because I was always opposed to the Flyers having a mascot.  From what I have been told the NHL kind of pushed them a bit to create a mascot so under that circumstance I am a bit more understanding of it.  He was one of the only Flyers associated things at the home opener that wasn't booed so he is making inroads with the fan base.

From a very trusted friend here at work, I sort of was given the same story.  That it is the desire of the NHL to have a mascot for every NHL team.  The Flyers, from my understanding from this trusted source, highly resisted this endeavor.  Once they (the Flyers) agreed, Gritty was born and sort of has become the Anti-Mascot.  Like you, I am still lukeowarm as you say, but Gritty is slowly growing on me.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

@Poulin20

Gritty could be the highlight of our season if we're not careful!

Sadly you are correct!  If the season ended today he definitely would be the lone bright spot and that's saying something coming from me who is opposed to him from a Flyers purist standpoint.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Man, you are going to compare this Gritty to Yukon Cornelius?  Now way.  Gritty looks stupid to me.  He looks more like Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street

Gritty drives a '97 Lumina with a wonky transmission.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Gritty drives a '97 Lumina with a wonky transmission.

And eats lots of Halibut too right?  Have you guys ever tried Alaskan Halibut since those days?   You know its dangerous fishing for them.  Big fish that can kill you.  Two steaks frozen are $20 so imagine how much one Halibut fetch's on the market.  Plenty.  Good fish but it costs more than Lobster.  

I put that Lumina to bed years ago.  I drive an Equinox.  So now you can start the Chevy Equinox jokes.  But what are you driving that is better than my SUV?

4 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And eats lots of Halibut too right?  Have you guys ever tried Alaskan Halibut since those days?   You know its dangerous fishing for them.  Big fish that can kill you.  Two steaks frozen are $20 so imagine how much one Halibut fetch's on the market.  Plenty.  Good fish but it costs more than Lobster.  

I put that Lumina to bed years ago.  I drive an Equinox.  So now you can start the Chevy Equinox jokes.  But what are you driving that is better than my SUV?

I know cheap and easy jokes. I really should try harder. I haven't been around much lately, trying to change that. So really, I was just saying "hi"

Hi!

20 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Really? That's awesome.

Indeed.  Dude was wearing a VGK hat.  Gritty had security remove the guy and then he kissed his girl.  Clearly staged, but hilarious anyway...

1 hour ago, vis said:

Indeed.  Dude was wearing a VGK hat.  Gritty had security remove the guy and then he kissed his girl.  Clearly staged, but hilarious anyway...

Beauty. Love Gritty. 

I want one for Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Check out this new Gritty inspired beer from a south Philly microbrewery.

It’s called Gritty’s gruel and is made with coffee and doughnuts!

https://billypenn.com/2018/11/05/a-south-philly-brewery-made-a-gritty-beer-with-local-coffee-and-donuts/

Looks like a great new thing to treat my taste buds and liver with.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL  -- courtesy of ESPN    -

And the best player in the world of the week is ...

The kid who fought Gritty

C'mon, you know this to be true.

On Saturday, the ubiquitous Philadelphia Flyers mascot took part in a mites on ice game during intermission of their home game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. A young skater for the Delaware Patriots -- we requested his name through the Flyers, but his family had yet to provide it at press time -- took it upon himself to take some liberties with Gritty, in the sense that he "fought" the mascot, knocking him googly eyed to the ice. Although, in fairness, Gritty is always googly eyed.

As is NHL tradition when someone is embarrassed in a fight, Gritty sought his comeuppance. So, he grabbed the kid, lifted him up and carried him to the penalty box, in a moment we'd like to see repeated at some point this season if Brad Marchand gets out of line again.

The Flyers tell us this mites team is scheduled to return later this season, so consider that an FYI, Department of Mascot Safety.

For finally standing up to that orange freak, this Delaware Patriots mite is the Best Player In The World Of The Week.

• 3 months later...

Archived