Flyers claim Pickard

sekkes85

Not sure why they did this, was hoping to see Stolarz get a start or 2 while Neuvirth was hurt.  I know Lyon is hurt too but Hart could have started with a ECHL callup for the time being.  I guess it is a low risk high reward kind of move but still wish Stolarz got a chance.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-claim-goaltender-calvin-pickard-from-waivers--philadelphia-flyers/c-300558780

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, this may be one of those "sneaky good" moves an NHL team can make.

I have been praising Calvin Pickard for the last two seasons, not really understanding WHY the guy kept being bounced around various NHL and even AHL teams because when I watched him play, I saw a guy who moved well, who acted like he WANTED to be the everyday guy, and even though his numbers were only average many times, keep in mind the awful defensive teams he backstopped in Colorado and teams filled with sub par veteran defensemen or young still-learning defensemen in the AHL in Lake Eerie and with the Marlies.

Yet still, given what he had to work with in front of him, he put up decent numbers....sometimes the workload taking its toll (he seemed better with a lighter workload), but you know, he is 26 now, entering prime age for goalies, and maybe some sort of timeshare deal with one of the other Flyers goalies is in order if and WHEN Elliot goes down (we already see Neuvy on the shelf)….maybe a duo of Pickard-Stolarz, or Pickard-Hart if they wanna give the youngster some NHL time, would be ideal.

Now, I say all this about Pickard, and maybe he flops and shows the reason he had been hot-potatoed around the league, but I just get this feeling that at this point in time, if he gets a shot, especially behind a Philly team that still may not be great defensively, but CERTAINLY has tremendous upside on the blueline, plus forwards who can score, I think he will make the most of it.

Remember...if the Flyers give him a fair shake at the NHL level, and he does well, you may be seeing a guy like Neuvirth, Elliot, or BOTH go bye bye in favor of Pickard and a young goalie in the Flyers system as regulars moving forward.

Worst case, he doesn't do as well as I think he might, and the Flyers can just say, "oh well, it was worth a shot in a year where we are still building towards elite status".

I will applaud this move for Philly right now, even before Pickard plays a single minute for them.

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Remember...if the Flyers give him a fair shake at the NHL level, and he does well, you may be seeing a guy like Neuvirth, Elliot, or BOTH go bye bye in favor of Pickard and a young goalie in the Flyers system as regulars moving forward.

Very nice thought here ..... could make some sense

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I have been praising Calvin Pickard for the last two seasons, not really understanding WHY the guy kept being bounced around various NHL and even AHL teams because when I watched him play, I saw a guy who moved well, who acted like he WANTED to be the everyday guy, and even though his numbers were only average many times, keep in mind the awful defensive teams he backstopped in Colorado and teams filled with sub par veteran defensemen or young still-learning defensemen in the AHL in Lake Eerie and with the Marlies.

He could be a decent option to back up Elliott for sure.

I seen a few games when he played before the Avs got better. I thought he played pretty well...the team in front of him not so much.

I can't say this is a huge move. More like one of necessity....for insurance purposes in case Stolie isn't ready to help.

This whole group seems to be a play away from IR. Scary to have right at the start of what is expected to be a better year than last.

In stability in goal....would us Flyers know anything else??? If we ever do i will let you know.

The good thing is they have enough guys to choose from not they should let the best guys win out....the losers ship out by any means that best suits the club. 

Wow. So many ifs involved here. 

I have to guess that Neuvmaki is done as a Flyer. First, if that's the case, it's about time. It's actually a shame because I believe he actually has the talent, but the dude can't tie his laces without blood loss. 

The other possibility, I suppose, is that they are really concerned about Elliott's health and that they can't depend on Nittyveurth to help loadshare. But that amounts to the same thing as my first comment. 

I cannot imagine the intent is to replace Elliott with Pickard. This isn't meant to be an endorsement of Elliott, but Pickard simply isn't that good. 

But that brings us to Stolarz and Lyon. I imagine there's concern about the health of each, but the arrival of Pickard makes me wonder if the door is closing (just closed) about their future on the Flyers roster except for an injury call up. 

It's clear Hextall does nor want Hart on the NHL roster until he has at least significant time on the Phantoms (a good call). At the very least, it gives Flyers goaltending coaches and/or trainers sufficient time to completely screw him up before he gets to the big club. 

But IF he plays well in Lehigh (still an if, but one I'm hoping is likely) and IF he starts on the Flyers next year or even mid-season this year, you would think Lyon and Stolarz might be passed by Sandstrom by next year. Even if the latter doesn't happen, there's only room for one and slam the door on the other. 

Now (or wait until there's an injury elsewhere) might be the time to move one to get value back. 

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But IF he plays well in Lehigh (still an if, but one I'm hoping is likely) and IF he starts on the Flyers next year or even mid-season this year, you would think Lyon and Stolarz might be passed by Sandstrom by next year.

Lyon is the only one under contract next year...so Pickard, Elliott or Stolie one or two of them could be trade bait at some point maybe.

Maybe.

Or they could trade Pickard, Elliott and Stolie for Ryan Miller... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Lyon is the only one under contract next year...so Pickard, Elliott or Stolie one or two of them could be trade bait at some point maybe.

Maybe.

I just got a chuckle and a thought when I saw this...
IF somehow the Flyers ended up with Miller (and yes, I did see the sarcasm dripping from your post :bigteeth: ), I can just hear a certain Buffalo fan go on about how all of a sudden, Miller is "terrible", his best years are behind him, he should have gone back to Buffalo and not waste away his years elsewhere, etc, etc.....

Just some funny irony if that were to happen.
😄

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe.

At the very least, if they can somehow get Captain ShattenKirk", they can be really good at running the USS Enterprise.:ph34r:

I think the move to pick up Pickard was an insurance move.  Hextall had to know the interest in Stolarz, Lyons, and Neuvirth.  He's going to lose somebody.  Toronto just lost  2 netminders and they are going to want someone back.

May the best goalie earn Elliot's back-up.

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think the move to pick up Pickard was an insurance move.  Hextall had to know the interest in Stolarz, Lyons, and Neuvirth.  He's going to lose somebody.  Toronto just lost  2 netminders and they are going to want someone back.

May Pickard get the starting job instead of Elliott.

Fixed.

35 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Toronto just lost  2 netminders and they are going to want someone back

So how is that going to work. The same rules apply if they claim one of them they can't just immediately assign them to the AHL they have to stay on the roster...they have Andersen and Sparks.

So I think if one of them is in the AHL i think Hextall could trade one of them to Toronto and they not have too be waived again.

This may be a good move or just an insurance policy, or whatever. I agree with Friedman and others that if largely reflects on Hexy having too much faith in Neuvirth.  If he hadn't been in the picture, it's possible a backup would have been groomed.  I said it last year and say it again tonight--the guy has really been a developmental disaster for the squad.  I just don't see how they can keep Neuvirth on board.  

Timing is a lot in life, and sadly, I think Lyon and Stolie badly "timed" their injuries.  Maybe Lyon hangs on.  

Not that I care all that much, but did Toronto step on their crank by waiving both Pickard and McIhenney ?

Seems to me like they have Andersen and Sparks now, I know Sparks was good behind a very good Marlies team...

Are they planning on winning games 8-6 ?

Would anyone feel comfortable going into the season with those two guys ?

I know Hextall wasn't comfortable with 8 guys...

Seems to me like someone f'ed up in the  TO FO

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well...…..the Flyers front office can always "make it so"  :shifty:

😄Mr. Hextall, set coordinates for " typical start of season goaltending form".

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe.

Free Bobrovsky!:ph34r:

41 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Not that I care all that much, but did Toronto step on their crank by waiving both Pickard and McIhenney ?

Seems to me like they have Andersen and Sparks now, I know Sparks was good behind a very good Marlies team...

Are they planning on winning games 8-6 ?

Would anyone feel comfortable going into the season with those two guys ?

I know Hextall wasn't comfortable with 8 guys...

Seems to me like someone f'ed up in the  TO FO

You make some good points here.

I did some checking on the Leafs goalie depth chart and they DO have two guys who will be playing for the Marlies who perhaps they feel comfortable calling up should either Andersen or Sparks go down with an injury.

Kasimir Kaskisuo seems to have put up good numbers as a junior in the Swedish leagues, had a good two year run at the NCAA level with Minnesota-Duluth, and put up decent numbers with the Marlies and Chicago Wolves in parts of three seasons in the AHL. He is 25 yrs old.

The other guy, Eamon McAdam, seems to not have as good numbers (at least to start) in any league he has played in (NCAA, ECHL, AHL), but then looks like his numbers improve as he gets familiar with the league....though still the numbers are just about average for what one expects a competent goalie to have. He is 24.

Other than stat sheets, I don't know anything more about those guys, but the TO front office may simply feel those two, especially Kaskisuo, is a viable alternative should they need a callup, and thus McElhinney (35) and Pickard weren't necessary to keep in their system....although as I stated in my first post on this topic, I think Pickard could prove to be an underrated snag for the Flyers, at age 26, ...and maybe a mistake to let go by the Leafs.

Also, still unsigned, is Kari Lehtonen and Jeff Glass if the Leafs really get desperate and want goalies with NHL experience.

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You make some good points here.

I did some checking on the Leafs goalie depth chart and they DO have two guys who will be playing for the Marlies who perhaps they feel comfortable calling up should either Andersen or Sparks go down with an injury.

Kasimir Kaskisuo seems to have put up good numbers as a junior in the Swedish leagues, had a good two year run at the NCAA level with Minnesota-Duluth, and put up decent numbers with the Marlies and Chicago Wolves in parts of three seasons in the AHL. He is 25 yrs old.

The other guy, Eamon McAdam, seems to not have as good numbers (at least to start) in any league he has played in (NCAA, ECHL, AHL), but then looks like his numbers improve as he gets familiar with the league....though still the numbers are just about average for what one expects a competent goalie to have. He is 24.

Other than stat sheets, I don't know anything more about those guys, but the TO front office may simply feel those two, especially Kaskisuo, is a viable alternative should they need a callup, and thus McElhinney (35) and Pickard weren't necessary to keep in their system....although as I stated in my first post on this topic, I think Pickard could prove to be an underrated snag for the Flyers, at age 26, ...and maybe a mistake to let go by the Leafs.

Also, still unsigned, is Kari Lehtonen and Jeff Glass if the Leafs really get desperate and want goalies with NHL experience.

I don't think they effed up they went with 13 forwards 8 D men and two goalies...pretty normal...they did what most teams do maybe if they screwed up anywhere is by sending guys down to late and not keeping up with the situation know Ron was sitting and waiting for the guys he wanted to appear on the waiver wire.

It's not the end of the world.

They can get some backup fills in in a pinch if they need one...sure they quality will be suspect but a lot would have to happen to really get burned by this.

If when the Flyers get guys back they can wait till the Flyers waive a guy hope he goes unclaimed and then trade with the Flyers for the goalie and then assign the guy the traded to their AHL club.

22 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

Not sure why they did this, was hoping to see Stolarz get a start or 2 while Neuvirth was hurt.  I know Lyon is hurt too but Hart could have started with a ECHL callup for the time being.  I guess it is a low risk high reward kind of move but still wish Stolarz got a chance.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-claim-goaltender-calvin-pickard-from-waivers--philadelphia-flyers/c-300558780

It's a curious move.  Best case scenario is that they have a potential taker for Neuvy?  Otherwise, I'm just not certain I see the point of this as Pickard would HAVE to remain with the Flyers or they lose him would they not or does he just have to pass through Waivers again?  I can't seem to find a straight answer on that.  

Archived