Flyers' 2018-2019 Roster

brelic

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-set-2018-19-opening-night-roster--philadelphia-flyers/c-300565980

The Philadelphia Flyers have set their 2018-19 opening night roster, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

The Philadelphia Flyers announced the following roster moves today:

The Flyers have loaned forward Taylor Leier to their AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, placed goaltender Michal Neuvirth on Injured Reserve and goaltender Calvin Pickard on Non-Roster status. 

In doing so, the Flyers have submitted their 23-man Opening Day Roster for the 2018-19 season as follows:

FORWARDS (14)

11 - Travis Konecny RW
12 - Michael Raffl LW
14 - Sean Couturier C
15 - Jori Lehtera C/LW
17 - Wayne Simmonds RW
19 - Nolan Patrick C
21 - Scott Laughton C
22 - Dale Weise RW
23 - Oskar Lindblom LW
24 - Mikhail Vorobyev C
25 - James van Riemsdyk LW   
28 - Claude Giroux LW
40 - Jordan Weal C/RW
93 - Jakub Voracek RW

DEFENSEMEN (7)

3 - Radko Gudas
6 - Travis Sanheim
8 - Robert Hagg
9 - Ivan Provorov
26 - Christian Folin
47 - Andrew MacDonald
53 - Shayne Gostisbehere

GOALTENDERS (2)

37 - Brian Elliott
41 - Anthony Stolarz

INJURED (5)

5 - Samuel Morin 
30 - Michal Neuvirth 
34 - Alex Lyon 
38 - Corban Knight
75 - Pascal Laberge

NON ROSTER (1)

33 - Calvin Pickard 

Prior to setting their roster, the Flyers assigned LW Taylor Leier to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

Interesting... Brings up a few questions.

1 - So Weise in on the roster after all... 

2 - What does non-roster mean for Pickard? He doesn't count towards the 23 man roster limit, so I'm guessing someone needs to be waived before he can be activated?

Overall, I like the look of this team!

Drop the puck!

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

2 - What does non-roster mean for Pickard? He doesn't count towards the 23 man roster limit, so I'm guessing someone needs to be waived before he can be activated?

That is strange....wasn't aware he could be assigned.....in limbo....so to speak without a better word for it.

I was under the impression he had to be a part of the roster once claimed.

I guess someone else here may have an explanation.

Mcdud is on IR so i know that frees up a spot but i think all that can't go down till after 5 pm or so.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

Interesting... Brings up a few questions.

1 - So Weise in on the roster after all... 

Overall, I like the look of this team!

Drop the puck!

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

GOALTENDERS (2)

37 - Brian Elliott
41 - Anthony Stolarz

So it sounds like it will be Elliott and Pickard and Stolie will be waived to backup Hart???

???????????????????

So when the Flyers decide they can always trade Stolie if they don't want him any more after clearing waivers.

Or if they prefer to just waive Pickard later if he clears waivers trade him back to the Leafs so they could just assign him to the Marlies instead of having to waive him again and keep them from having to keep him on the roster for 30 days.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So when the Flyers decide they can always trade Stolie if they don't want him any more after clearing waivers.

Or if they prefer to just waive Pickard later if he clears waivers trade him back to the Leafs so they could just assign him to the Marlies instead of having to waive him again and keep them from having to keep him on the roster for 30 days.

Do you think Stolie will clear waivers?

22 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Do you think Stolie will clear waivers?

I think he has a better chance.

Because remember if someone claims him he has to stay on their roster for 30 days or 10 games.

Yet if their is a team out there that thinks Stolie is a better options than their current backup (I'm looking at the Rangers for sure) then yes they take Stolie and then waive their current guy.

So yes there is a chance. It's risky.

Can't say what other front offices think.

Who knew Tampa saw a lot in Martel.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Martel's success last year likely placed him on a number of radars. If nothing else, he's proven he can be an above average AHLer, and that's worth something to teams who believe in fostering a winning culture in their prospects. 

I really don't think Stolarz is at that level of perceived interest. That's not to say there's no chance he would get plucked, but I would consider it rather less likely than Martel. Stolarz could get plucked if some team is desperate to add a goalie to their system, but I don't think he garners so much interest on his own.

We've done this for others, but I feel like we here on this board are over-valuating Stolarz given some form of bias. 

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he has a better chance.

Because remember if someone claims him he has to stay on their roster for 30 days or 10 games.

Yet if their is a team out there that thinks Stolie is a better options than their current backup (I'm looking at the Rangers for sure) then yes they take Stolie and then waive their current guy.

So yes there is a chance. It's risky.

Can't say what other front offices think.

Wouldn't the other team have to waive their goalie (or other player) the day before they would be able to claim Stolie?  They couldn't claim him with a full roster.  I guess they could send down a player that is not subject to waivers.

14 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Wouldn't the other team have to waive their goalie (or other player) the day before they would be able to claim Stolie?  They couldn't claim him with a full roster.  I guess they could send down a player that is not subject to waivers.

I think they can just waive someone to make room and then claim them right after.

But I can't say for sure but it makes sense a transition could go down like that.

I know they can IR someone and then claim a guy on waivers.

They'd have to waive someone on the same day or before. Alternately, they can demote a guy who is waiver exempt. This early in the season, Stolarz would actually be more likely to squeak through than on the last day of the season, since teams have set their rosters and generally aren't looking to pick up an extra goalie. If he was a skater, it might be a bit different.

Archived